Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Default AR pistol tube questions

What's the Real Deal on tubes vs. stocks? Ability to accept a stock or "Intended" to be fired from the shoulder? Both? Where does the "ability to accept" a stock begin and end? I've seen some people paracord wrap the tube and call it good which seems sketchy. And of course most manufacturers use dedicated pistol tubes with reduced ODs and no depressions for the stock locking mechanism. Is that just a CYA measure, or law?

This probably goes back to the "cane tip" discussion, but what's to stop someone from putting a long tube on a pistol and attempting to shoulder it (aside from the resulting bruises)?

I know AR pistol discussions have been done to death, but Calguns tends to have a better handle on gun law and NFA issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Like most things gun related in California, there is no "letter of the law" that tells you what you can and can't do. It all comes down to your comfort level and your willingness to possibly go to court and spend a sh*tton of money to defend a grey-area position. Gun manufacturers use dedicated pistol tubes to be safe and that's generally what is advised. I don't see anything wrong with paracord wrapping a pistol tube or even using the CAA stock-saddle thingy, because those methods actually help you "cheek" the weapon, but don't help with "shouldering" it.

As always, YMMV, but in general, don't do something you're not comfortable defending in a court of law.
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Fair enough, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.