Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-23-2012, 4:02 AM

Default Shooting airsoft on my property, school 1200' away

Called SDPD to see if it was OK to shoot Airsoft in my backyard. I was told airsoft bb guns are not firearms, so it is ok. If someone complains, the PD will visit and I'll have to stop.
I checked Google maps and saw that the closest part of the elementary school is 1200-1250 feet from my backyard. Is there a law against shooting bb guns within 1500' of a school?

I'm not worried about safety, as I would get a pellet trap behind the target, plus I have a cement retaining wall behind that.
Old 04-23-2012, 4:09 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Airsoft is not a firearm, and there are no general restrictions against shooting one near a school.

Some cities do have ordinances against discharging airsoft, BB and pellet guns within their jurisdictions, though.
Old 04-23-2012, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post
Called SDPD to see if it was OK to shoot Airsoft in my backyard. I was told airsoft bb guns are not firearms, so it is ok. If someone complains, the PD will visit and I'll have to stop.
I checked Google maps and saw that the closest part of the elementary school is 1200-1250 feet from my backyard. Is there a law against shooting bb guns within 1500' of a school?

I'm not worried about safety, as I would get a pellet trap behind the target, plus I have a cement retaining wall behind that.
I do it all the time; I'm in a school zone too. Sometimes the neighbors ask questions, and I explain that they are plastic and show them if they desire. I've had the cops called on me too, (and my little brother let them in, so I couldn't deny entry politely) but I showed them my guns, they looked them over, and then got a more important call and left without saying much... Never happened again, and I shoot them on a pretty regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 04-23-2012, 1:42 PM

I doubt there are any safety issues with shooting airsoft anywhere near a school, but I do recal a California law that prohibits allowing display of a replica gun in a public place, school zone or not. In other words, it is legal to carry a real shotgun on your shoulder and real ammunition as you walk down a public street, but if you are sitting on your front porch cleaning your bb gun, you've commited a crime. A front yard is considered a public place for firearms law unless it is fully enclosed by a fence and has a gate. I'm not sure if displaying it in your back yard while visible from a public place would be a violation.
Quote:
(a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation firearm, as defined in Section 12550, in a public place.
(b) Violation of this section, except as provided in subdivisio
(c), is an infraction punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100) for the first offense, and three hundred dollars ($300) for a second offense.
(c) A third or subsequent violation of this section is punishable as a misdemeanor.
(d) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to the following, when the imitation firearm is:
(1) Packaged or concealed so that it is not subject to public viewing.
(2) Displayed or exposed in the course of commerce, including commercial film or video productions, or for service, repair, or restoration of the imitation firearm.
(3) Used in a theatrical production, a motion picture, video, television, or stage production.
(4) Used in conjunction with a certified or regulated sporting event or competition.
(5) Used in conjunction with lawful hunting, or lawful pest control activities. (6) Used or possessed at certified or regulated public or private shooting ranges.
(7) Used at fairs, exhibitions, expositions, or other similar activities for which a permit has been obtained from a local or state government.
(8) Used in military, civil defense, or civic activities, including flag ceremonies, color guards, parades, award presentations, historical reenactments, and memorials.
(9) Used for public displays authorized by public or private schools or displays that are part of a museum collection.
(10) Used in parades, ceremonies, or other similar activities for which a permit has been obtained from a local or state government.
(11) Displayed on a wall plaque or in a presentation case.
(12) Used in areas where the discharge of a firearm is lawful.
(13) A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device's complete contents. Merely having an orange tip as provided in federal law and regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The entire surface must be colored or transparent or translucent.
(e) For purposes of this section, the term "public place" means an area open to the public and includes streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys, plazas, parks, driveways, front yards, parking lots, automobiles, whether moving or not, and buildings open to the general public, including those that serve food or drink, or provide entertainment, and the doorways and entrances to buildings or dwellings.
(f) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preclude prosecution for a violation of Section 171b, 171.5, or 626.10.

12550. As used in this article, the following definitions apply: (a) "BB device" is defined in subdivision (g) of Section 12001. (b) "Firearm" is defined in subdivision (b) of Section 12001. (c) "Imitation firearm" means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm.

Last edited by MindBuilder; 04-23-2012 at 2:04 PM.. Reason: Added the law
Old 04-23-2012, 3:31 PM

My understanding was that it varied for each city/county. I believe (I could be wrong), that discharging an airsoft in Orange County is illegal, because they consider it a firearm. Please someone enlighten me if I'm wrong on that.

What city/county are you in?
“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.” - Colossians 2:8
Old 04-23-2012, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

What has the world come to?
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 04-23-2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
What has the world come to?
A place where you can get killed for getting drunk and playing with a hose nozzle...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov...oting-20111104

Or playing with a BB gun in the laundry room of your apartment...

http://www.balitangamerica.tv/family...at-seek-truth/

Maybe setting up a range in the garage is the best idea if you want to stay alive.
Old 04-23-2012, 5:29 PM

Didn't know it was against the law to "display" an imitation firearm in a public place. Fortunately, I have a fence and a locking gate. My neighbors are pretty reasonable, so I may just mention it to the one who has a window overlooking the proposed airsoft range.

SDPD=San Diego PD

Last edited by swift; 04-23-2012 at 5:30 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-23-2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukowski View Post
A place where you can get killed for getting drunk and playing with a hose nozzle...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov...oting-20111104

Or playing with a BB gun in the laundry room of your apartment...

http://www.balitangamerica.tv/family...at-seek-truth/

Maybe setting up a range in the garage is the best idea if you want to stay alive.
+1, sad but true.

My kids only shoot'em when I am home. My concern is a neighbor complaint, LEOs come to yard after no one answers door and get surprised by kids with airsoft toys with orange tips...could get ugly.

A big appliance box works pretty well as a cheap backstop for airsoft. You'll be finding pellets in the yard forever after just on session of shooting.
Old 04-23-2012, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

The real answer is to read your federal, state, county and local codes to see what is prohibited.

Calling the police to ask them is not the right way to determine if an activity is legal.

It's also convenient to keep highlighted copies of the relevant code so that you can explain to any nosy neighbors that what you are doing is entirely legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.