Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM

Default Is this bad to do this to your AK?

I had an idea since I like to put a lot of rounds down range but I hate when my barrel overheats.

Do you think it's a good idea to put heat exhaust wrap around my ak barrel under the gas tube and in the lower handguard?

Please give me your opinion before I do something stupid
Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU Sniper
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP
Mossberg 590A1/500/930/Maverick 88

Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM

If I understand you, you want to wrap the barrel so that you can't feel the heat, as opposed to finding a way to dissipate the heat faster?

If so, I wouldn't recommend it. A barrel that gets hot is going to be less accurate; if you're shooting an AK you can't afford to lose any. Also, containing the heat is only going to extend the cooling time, and it could possibly harm the barrel if it got higher than its design parameters.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wrapping your barrel would cause the barrel to heat up faster, probably get it hotter given the same amount of use, and slow its ability to cool off. Why would you want to do that?

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Why do you think they made a forward grip lower hand guard?
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM

That heat you feel coming off your barrel is a good thing, that is the barrel cooling down. If you put something like exhaust wrap over the barrel you are insulating the barrel and it will heat up faster and stay hot longer, though you will feel less heat on your hands. If all you care about is the comfort of your hands then ya wrap away.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM

if i didn't want to feel the heat I'd wear gloves, no pun intended

read this article or product...
http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Ther...ies-386-1.html

my thinking is that it would abosorb the heat making the barrel cooler a little bit longer
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM

ok that's enough votes, i won't do it hahaha
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM

is it bad to pour water on it to cool it down?
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There is no free lunch.

These tapes are used to keep the interior engine bay temps down. Heat wash is an issue that can raise intake temperatures that rob horsepower. Wrapping the exhaust means you are limiting by some degree the radiant heat of the exhaust manifold in the engine bay. However your headers will get very hot, but then headers are meant to be very hot.

Applying this to rifle barrels is actually the wrong direction to go in. You want your barrel to wash off its heat more actually if possible. Think it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gillious View Post
if i didn't want to feel the heat I'd wear gloves, no pun intended

read this article or product...
http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Ther...ies-386-1.html

my thinking is that it would abosorb the heat making the barrel cooler a little bit longer

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

Would you ever put water on hot car engine?
I need a LIFE!!

Did you study physical sciences at all in high school?

Quote:
is it bad to pour water on it to cool it down?

- John Adams

Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM

Default maybe cooling fins out of sheet aluminium.

bend it so it is a 'spikey' circle, like a sun symbol and wrap them around the round parts that get hot.

Thus they would be going the opposite direction of this Thompson and going same direction as "fluted".

But note this guy says it don't do much good, but I think it would conduct a lot of heat.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I know there are some old school machine vibs that had water cooling barrel shrouds so it's not bad in every instance. But I imagine that cools evenly. pouring water on there might not be a good idea.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Out of curiosity, how fast are you shooting it? These barrels were made with full auto at 600 rnds/min in mind.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15 Guy View Post
It depends on how hot it is. You don't put it on the car engine, as there're other things there that can be ruined by water (contacts, etc.), and because you gotta be careful with all the hot steam that'll produce. However, it shouldn't affect heat treating and tempering of the metal, unless it's at the temperature where it's affected whether you put water on it or not.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 04-23-2012, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Out of curiosity, how fast are you shooting it? These barrels were made with full auto at 600 rnds/min in mind.
You wouldn't want to touch the barrel after a full auto magdump, either. If you're at the range and your gun is cool enough to touch with a bare hand, you need to shoot some more
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 04-23-2012, 1:53 PM
Banned

don't pour water on your barrel, it might cause the steel to fatigue or crack. Even if you are shooting a lot of rounds through your gun, isn't that kind of unnecessary? AKs are horrible when it comes to accuracy, are you just looking to spray? IMHO, I like shooting my guns, not spraying.
Old 04-23-2012, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ive got my ak pretty hot before its easy in just four 30 round mags fired off in 2 minutes

it takes a while for it to cool
Old 04-23-2012, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
You wouldn't want to touch the barrel after a full auto magdump, either. If you're at the range and your gun is cool enough to touch with a bare hand, you need to shoot some more
That you wouldn't, but I wasn't suggesting touching it, either. That's what handguards and forward grips are for.

Old 04-23-2012, 6:06 PM
Veteran Member

It's not hot until the handguards go up in flames
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 04-23-2012, 6:43 PM
Banned

Talking gimme a break ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by S470FM View Post
don't pour water on your barrel, it might cause the steel to fatigue or crack ...
.... OP jus wait for an iceberg so both you & your AK can SINK like the TITANIC ....

... and after adding the 'heat exhaust wrap' how about a cappuccino cup holder next to that barrel, jus to keep that succa warm while shooting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S470FM View Post
... Even if you are shooting a lot of rounds through your gun, isn't that kind of unnecessary? AKs are horrible when it comes to accuracy, are you just looking to spray? IMHO, I like shooting my guns, not spraying.
wha ?!!! ... AK's are 'horrible for accuracy'?! Just exactly who's doing that kinda shooting? Gotta be someone like THIS GUY:

Last edited by Mamluke; 04-23-2012 at 6:45 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 6:47 PM

Too hot to handle? Just whip out the wanger and take a leak on it. The smell of burnt urine really gets the nasal passages clear and clears out the shooting lanes next to you
Old 04-23-2012, 7:24 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopy View Post
Too hot to handle? Just whip out the wanger and take a leak on it. The smell of burnt urine really gets the nasal passages clear and clears out the shooting lanes next to you
... now we're TALKING lol .... some VERY SOUND advice .... finally ...

Old 04-23-2012, 9:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I had a burrito I wanted to eat for lunch but didn't want to eat it cold I would wrap that tape around the burrito onto the barrel. After about 500 rounds downrange I would take a break and eat my nice toasty warm burrito.

WTS http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1177940

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 04-24-2012, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopy View Post
I thought you were supposed to do that DOWN the barrel. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
Old 04-24-2012, 4:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

You want to remove heat from the barrel. Air works well but a liquid works better, the problem is unless you have a constant flow of water to remove the heat, you risk thermal shock to the barrel. That could warp and or cause any defects in the barrel material to show up pretty quickly. Pour hot water on a cold winsheild with a tiny crack and see what happens. Your best bet is punch more holes in your handguard to allow the air to remove the heat.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 04-24-2012, 5:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
You want to remove heat from the barrel. Air works well but a liquid works better, the problem is unless you have a constant flow of water to remove the heat, you risk thermal shock to the barrel. That could warp and or cause any defects in the barrel material to show up pretty quickly. Pour hot water on a cold winsheild with a tiny crack and see what happens. Your best bet is punch more holes in your handguard to allow the air to remove the heat.
SPOILER! ... we were just starting to have FUN! ... ...

..... +1

Old 04-24-2012, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I thought you were supposed to do that DOWN the barrel. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
Can't do it down the barrell since i have horrible aim
Old 04-24-2012, 8:27 PM

Just so its out there. most header wraps attract water and moisture.

A guns finish doesnt like moisture
Old 04-29-2012, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
i am probably shooting 80 rounds per minute and shooting 1000 rounds. not spraying but plinking at 50 yards
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 04-29-2012, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
Did you study physical sciences at all in high school?
haha yes i did and i almost had to take summer school for it, almost failed. however, the following years when i took bio and anatomy/physiology, i passed every test and was one of the top students in my class. i just had a bad phys sci teacher, RIP his soul tho
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 04-29-2012, 8:02 AM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

Do NOT wrap your barrel or just dump water onto the barrel, you know unless you wanna screw up your gun.
Old 04-29-2012, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamluke View Post
SPOILER! ... we were just starting to have FUN! ... ...

..... +1

Your having fun, i'm trying to give the guy sound advice.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 04-29-2012, 9:28 AM
Aka Mike Oxsmall
CGN Contributor

Bro don't listen to any o these guys! Just try both methods then post some pics....
Old 04-29-2012, 9:30 AM

Quote:
I had an idea since I like to put a lot of rounds down range but I hate when my barrel overheats.

Do you think it's a good idea to put heat exhaust wrap around my ak barrel under the gas tube and in the lower handguard?

Please give me your opinion before I do something stupid

Don't do it! Your rifle is air cooled so if it gets too hot just stop lock the bolt back and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Remember yourin California and not in Alaska

Mail Clerk
Old 04-29-2012, 9:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post
Don't do it! Your rifle is air cooled so if it gets too hot just stop lock the bolt back and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Remember yourin California and not in Alaska

Mail Clerk
You realize we are talking Ak's here... Gonna go on a limb here and bet the OP doesnt have a notched safety lever.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 04-29-2012, 9:44 AM

Did you ever notice in the photos of guys shooting AKs that a lot of them have a rag in their left hand. This is to keep your hand from burning. I have tried it and it works quite well.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Gil, its an AK. Run it until it catches fire. Glove your left hand if heat begins to alter the way you grip the front of the rifle.

.....and dont pour water on your rifle.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan650 View Post
Gil, its an AK. Run it until it catches fire. Glove your left hand if heat begins to alter the way you grip the front of the rifle.

.....and dont pour water on your rifle.
if it catches fire i will light a cigarette with it and make sure you take my pic
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15 Guy View Post
How do you think they get cooled? Water flows through the engine.