Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-02-2007, 9:23 AM

Default What do you guys think about this scope

NcStar MKIII 2.5-10x40 with P4 sniper reticle, 30mm tube,target knobs has box, rings, spare batteries, lens covers

I am a scope noob so please bear with me. I will be using this on a stag-2h rifle just for plinking. I haven't really heard of this company so I was wonding if any of you guys have used this scope before. Good? Bad?
Old 11-02-2007, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

NcStar=crap. Save your money for something like this if you want that kind of scope.

I have this on my 2H. It works very well.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
NcStar=crap.
+ 1 to that. if you want cheap, roll with tasco or buchnell from wallyworld. ncstar is just disappointment after disappointmet for me. heck, thir ruger 10/22 scope ring base i bought once, the holes didnt even line up and it wasnt useable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
She's going to get sand in her action, if she's not careful.
Old 11-04-2007, 7:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer

My limited experience with NcStar was also bad. The first scope I ever bought was an NcStar 3-9x40. The off-axis aberrations were so bad that only half the field-of-view was usable. I've held on to that scope as a reminder not to be penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to rifle scopes.

Bruce
Old 11-05-2007, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

You read about people who are happy with their NCStars now and again, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I'd agree it's worth saving a bit more to get better quality, even if it has fewer features. It's hard to find a good new scope for under $150, and by the time you throw in illumination, special reticles, etc, you're up there.

For an inexpensive variable power scope that will hold up and hold its value, look at Leupold VXI, Burriss Fullfield II, Weaver V series, or older Nikon Monarchs.
Old 11-06-2007, 3:52 PM

95% of the time I would agree that NCStar is pure crap, but there's at least one exception to that rule. I've got their 2-7x scout scope on my K31 and it works really well. In fact, I know of several people who have that same model and are completely satisfied with theirs as well. And as far as inexpensive LER scopes go, that one is definitely the best value for the buck.
So yeah, be careful when it comes to NCStar, but they do produce the occasional diamond in the rough.

I just wish they would have imported their functional ACOG replica...
Old 11-19-2007, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

I personally would not buy a NcStar scope. I would spend a little more money a get a better scope. I don't know what your budget is, but you can get better optics for a little more money that would suit your needs.
NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene