Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-09-2007, 5:48 PM

Default Will Eotech ever work on improving battery life?

Just fishing for news here.

Aimpoint's M4 model has around 8 years on a single AA, correct?

Will any future Eotechs have more than 600-1100 hours of battery life to match?
Old 11-09-2007, 7:05 PM

If I aint got nothin nice to say Ivan said, keep it to myself

So, I aint saying nuthin
Old 11-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Aimpoints do not run on an AA, they run on a DL1/3N battery.

Later Aimpoint designs' batteries outlasted the original late 90s ones by a fair amount.

EoTechs do just fine on their AA or size-N batteries. I haven't changed mine yet.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-12-2007, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Aimpoints do not run on an AA, they run on a DL1/3N battery.

Later Aimpoint designs' batteries outlasted the original late 90s ones by a fair amount.

EoTechs do just fine on their AA or size-N batteries. I haven't changed mine yet.
The Aimpoint COMP M4 does use AA battries.
http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aim...impoint_compm4

I am sure Eotech will come up with something eventually for longer battery life but comparing them to the aimpoint is not quite fair.

The Aimpoint uses a led diode to project the dot while Eotech uses a laser to produse their reticle which requires more power from what I have read online.

Last edited by chuck762; 11-12-2007 at 9:19 AM..
Old 11-12-2007, 1:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck762 View Post
The Aimpoint COMP M4 does use AA battries.
http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aim...impoint_compm4
Ahh, thanks, I stand corrected. Didn't know they'd changed - my Aimpoints are the older 1999ish vintage Comp ML stuff. Reasonably good battery life, just keep a spare or two in your buttstock or pistol grip compartment.

Quote:
The Aimpoint uses a led diode to project the dot while Eotech uses a laser to produse their reticle which requires more power from what I have read online.
Um, small low power "lasers" are in fact special LEDs. They may not be quite efficient per as regular LEDs, but they are LEDs the are coherent emitters.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-13-2007, 1:21 AM
Veteran Member

DO you leave your EO tech on constantly? 1100 hours translates to about 5 or 6 weeks left on. Lets say you used your EO 12 hours a day every day. It would last you 3 months that way on one set of AAs. Just carry some extra batteries if it bothers you. The AAs are easy to find anywhere. On a Sidenote: The Military red dot of the Russian special forces(spetsnaz) is the Kobra scope. It's manufacturer listed battery life is 100 hours(4days). Now, THAT is short.

Last edited by Teletiger7; 11-13-2007 at 1:26 AM..
Old 11-13-2007, 7:49 AM
Banned

I ran out of batteries on my Eotech twice.. and I don't even use it that much. Eotech says 1100 but I am seeing around 200. I leave my Eotech on the whole time when at the range. 20 times 4 hours each time is only 80 hours... then you might another 80 hours playing around with it in the house. Granted this is at the brightest setting, but still......

I am going to try lithium AA batteries at $10 a pop for a 4 pack to see if that extends the life.

One complaint I have about the Eotech is it turns off by itself after 4 hours. I guess this is a good thing, to extend battery life, but it does not make your rifle instantly ready. With the Aimpoint, I can throw it in the back of the truck for 6 months with it on... be ready to use at any time.

I have the older ML2 and I leave it on all the time, so far I have yet to replace the battery.
Old 11-13-2007, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
One complaint I have about the Eotech is it turns off by itself after 4 hours. I guess this is a good thing, to extend battery life, but it does not make your rifle instantly ready. With the Aimpoint, I can throw it in the back of the truck for 6 months with it on... be ready to use at any time.

Actually if i remember right, activate the sight using the left button equals 4 hrs of run time. Activate the sight using the right button equals 8 hrs of run time before it shuts off.
Old 11-13-2007, 8:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Actually if i remember right, activate the sight using the left button equals 4 hrs of run time. Activate the sight using the right button equals 8 hrs of run time before it shuts off.
ok cool. I'll try that. Be nice to leave it on at least over night.
Old 11-13-2007, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

I dont know about the Eotech's but, many eletronic devices have much less battery life at "full power(brightness)" than at "slightly less than full power"
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM

Fwiw, I've had problems w/ my econo AA batteries die in my Eotech. Specifically, Kirkland (Costco house brand) alkalines. Another shooting buddy has had similar problems w/ his using Kirklands. I guess they can't stand the recoil and you lose all power.

Found on Eotech website's Troubleshooting FAQ that is a known issue with 'some brands' and that they recommend Energizer brand for max life/reliability. I would assume Duracell's would also be fine.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Fudd View Post
Fwiw, I've had problems w/ my econo AA batteries die in my Eotech. Specifically, Kirkland (Costco house brand) alkalines. Another shooting buddy has had similar problems w/ his using Kirklands. I guess they can't stand the recoil and you lose all power.

Found on Eotech website's Troubleshooting FAQ that is a known issue with 'some brands' and that they recommend Energizer brand for max life/reliability. I would assume Duracell's would also be fine.
I use Duracell, and results not so good.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Fudd View Post
My Eotech 552 hasn't had battery problems in the few years I've had it, but I've had a ton of problems with Kirkland batteries, especially leakage. I quit buying them years ago after trashing some stuff they sat in for a while. Only name-brand for me!
Old 11-13-2007, 1:36 PM

With Lithium AA's it's not too bad.
Old 11-13-2007, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Default Setting

I read somewhere that the 1100 hours battery life the manufacturer lists is if the EO is set at 4 settings down from the brightest one.

How about an experiment?
Anybody wanna volunteer to test there EO at this setting using lithiums and logging the progess of the reticle every 8 hours?
Old 11-13-2007, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Use lithium batteries. They seem to last much longer than alkaline.
Old 11-14-2007, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
I read somewhere that the 1100 hours battery life the manufacturer lists is if the EO is set at 4 settings down from the brightest one.

How about an experiment?
Anybody wanna volunteer to test there EO at this setting using lithiums and logging the progess of the reticle every 8 hours?
Here's some info on this:

Approximate Eotech Rev F battery life, on setting 12 of 20 (the default when it turns on):

N cell - 200 hrs 70 deg F, 70 hours 0 deg F
AA Alkaline - 600 hrs 70 deg F, 200 hours 0 deg F
AA Lithium - 1100 hrs 70 deg F, 900 hrs 0 deg F

(presumably using their recommended Eveready brand)

Eotech doesn't list the full brightness battery life, but Bushnell does for their 51/52 series (most similar to the Eotech), and at full brightness setting 20, they only get about 15%(!) of the battery life that their 12 setting gets.

It appears Bushnell uses the pre Rev F dircuit, as their base battery life is much lower than Eotech. When Eotech went to Rev F, they had a press release that said the improvement battery life improvement was greater at higher brightness levels, so it shouldn't drop as much as the Bushnell, but I have no data on this.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2007, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

i have a bushnell holosight on my ar, and i use the energizer e2 lithium batteries, and recoil, heat, or anything of the sort is not a problem at all. had it on 2 times at the range for 4-6 hours without turning it off, and ive played with it at home for 30+ hours, not to mention i forgot it on 2 times for 8 hours untill it shut itself off.

oh and my bushnell holosight uses AAA batteries, and it is still going strong without the battery low indicator flashing.
Old 11-15-2007, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Bushnell specs the XLP that you have at 100 hours life with 2 AAA batteries at the 10 setting (out of 15 total). This is presumably at 70 deg F - they don't give the same level of detail as they do on the old style. They also don't say if they're alkaline or lithium. Eotech gives lithium numbers for their basic specs, but I don't know about Bushnell.

Their AA model is spec'ed at 220 hours with alkaline, 320 hours with NiMH, and 500 hours with lithium at the 12 setting (out of 20) at 70 deg F (at the cost of larger size and weight), so that makes me think the basic XLP spec is for alkaline, and you can expect over 2x as much with Li.

Interestingly, they show the XLP as having a 0.12 mW 650 nm laser, while the old style are shown as having an 0.08 mW 635 nm laser.

You can turn it on with a 4 hour auto-shutoff using the down button instead of the up button.

Last edited by maxicon; 11-15-2007 at 8:35 PM..
Old 11-17-2007, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

you are right, i called bushnell, and their specs are with alkaline batteries, the rep told me with energizer e2 lithium batteries i would get more like 250 to 300 hours on the medium setting (10) which im very happy with. not to mention i paid about $180 OTD for my xlp at turners (clearance sale) the eotech would cost twice as much if not more. plus i like how low the profile of the xlp is compared to the eotech.