Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Palmetto State Armory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Default 16" HF Upper - Barrel Length Clarification

Over the last couple weeks I've sent this question 2 different times to PSA. Once via their website "Contact Us" form and once to their main "info@" email address, but have not received an answer yet.

I ordered and received one of their complete 16" HF upper assembilies earlier this year. Very happy with it.... However, I recently noticed my barrel seems shorter than other 16" uppers. The total length is approx. 16" with flash hider.

I checked the specs of the order and it specifically says 16" barrel. What is the appropriate measurement? I would appreciate some clarification.

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." Albert Einstein
Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Vendor/Retailer

PM sent!
Web Sales: 803.788.9095
socialmedia.info@palmettostatearmory.com
Old 03-24-2012, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfan View Post
Over the last couple weeks I've sent this question 2 different times to PSA. Once via their website "Contact Us" form and once to their main "info@" email address, but have not received an answer yet.

I ordered and received one of their complete 16" HF upper assembilies earlier this year. Very happy with it.... However, I recently noticed my barrel seems shorter than other 16" uppers. The total length is approx. 16" with flash hider.

I checked the specs of the order and it specifically says 16" barrel. What is the appropriate measurement? I would appreciate some clarification.
Should be 16" from the breech on a closed bolt to the end of the barrel (not including any muzzle device). If it's ~16" from breech face on a closed bolt to end of the flash hider its likely you have a 14.5"/14.7" barrel.

Be careful, if you assembled a 14.5"/14.7" barrel rifle without the muzzle device pinned and welded rendering it at least 16" breech-to-end of muzzle device you've constructed and are in possession of an unregistered SBR which will get you in thick doo-doo with the BATFE (felonies)

Remove any muzzle device on the rifle, take a wooden dowel or similar and stick it down the barrel on a closed bolt until it stops, mark the end of the dowel, pull it out and measure it. If it measures less than 16" (or if it measures around 16" WITH a non-pinned/welded muzzle device) disassemble the rifle immediately and contact PSA to get the right upper. If you want to keep the barrel length you have get the muzzle device you want (long enough that it will make the rifle meet the 16" min. barrel length as measured per the method described above) and take the upper to a gunsmith and have them pin and weld the muzzle device.
Old 03-30-2012, 1:47 PM

^^^ Great input! Thank you!

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." Albert Einstein