Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Default I know you get what you paid for but...........

Are these of any value/quality at all? waist of money?

If you can't afford a real eotech should you even mess with this type stuff or re- evaluate your setup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tactical-552-Typ...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 PM

If you are into shooting airsoft guns these may be "ok". Either continue to use iron sights or save for a moderatly priced scope. You can obtain a desent red dot scope for just over $100. You are almost there, just hold out a bit longer and don't waste your money on a scope you have to question.
Old 10-27-2007, 4:12 PM

good point thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy209 View Post
Are these of any value/quality at all? waist of money?

If you can't afford a real eotech should you even mess with this type stuff or re- evaluate your setup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tactical-552-Typ...QQcmdZViewItem
I import and sell replica scopes in the gun show and web. This is the new 552 which I currently do not have any experience on. I have imported and sold the replica 551. The big difference is the battery (551 - AG13) (552 - 2 AA). Although the 551 works well, sighted in and held zero, it had one major problem and that was the light source. The LED light source was not bright enough to be used in bright daylight. Almost all the 551 replicas I sold were for local PD that did their entries at night. Sold them ten and they liked them but they commented that the daylight issue was not a problem for them. Now with the use of the 2-AA batteries, maybe this problem has been corrected. This would be the chance you will have to take if you purchase. I know from the manufacturer that a solution was in the works but have not heard if it was completed. To my knowledge the 552 is currently not being made by the manufacturer I use, so its operation may or may not work as well as the 551. Chinese manufacturers seem to be striving to improve the product lines but any new item purchased you will have to take the chance that you might have to throw it away.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Note that these aren't really Eotech clones, just Eotech lookalikes. A real Eotech uses a laser for the holographic image, while these use an LED like any red dot scope. They're red dots in an Eotech-style housing.

You could get any of a number of cheap no-name red dots for less money, or get a known brand name like the Bushnell or Burris Aimpoint clones for a bit more money. They're still copies, but are from companies who you can contact to support their products if you have any problems.
Old 10-28-2007, 2:55 PM

for about 3x the cost you get the real thing i would just do that.
Old 10-28-2007, 5:13 PM

if you are on a budget i highly recommend the Bushnell Trophy MP or Burris XTS-135. Get something with a brand name and wrranty.
Old 11-04-2007, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arplatform View Post
I import and sell replica scopes in the gun show and web. This is the new 552 which I currently do not have any experience on. I have imported and sold the replica 551. The big difference is the battery (551 - AG13) (552 - 2 AA). Although the 551 works well, sighted in and held zero, it had one major problem and that was the light source. The LED light source was not bright enough to be used in bright daylight. Almost all the 551 replicas I sold were for local PD that did their entries at night. Sold them ten and they liked them but they commented that the daylight issue was not a problem for them. Now with the use of the 2-AA batteries, maybe this problem has been corrected. This would be the chance you will have to take if you purchase. I know from the manufacturer that a solution was in the works but have not heard if it was completed. To my knowledge the 552 is currently not being made by the manufacturer I use, so its operation may or may not work as well as the 551. Chinese manufacturers seem to be striving to improve the product lines but any new item purchased you will have to take the chance that you might have to throw it away.
Wow! Are you serious???!!!! A actual police agency used these clones!!!! Man, they need to get more funding and get the real thing. I just never imagined actual poffesionals using Chinese imitations. Go figure!
Old 11-05-2007, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
Wow! Are you serious???!!!! A actual police agency used these clones!!!! Man, they need to get more funding and get the real thing. I just never imagined actual poffesionals using Chinese imitations. Go figure!
The real running joke is the about the name and manufacturer. Most larger companies have their products actually made in China and have their Trade Name placed on the scopes. Bushnell is one, I find it funny that people love the new ACOG lookalike from Bushnell and then crap all over the chinese copies. THEY ARE BOTH MADE IN CHINA. The same company that I bring in replicas from, is the manufacturer of scopes for bushnell, leapers, TASCO and a few others. What this really shows is that some people are actually "Trade Name Snobs". This is not to say they didn't get screwed on a product that was poorly made but not everything from china is crap. Turn in your Motorla Cell phones and bluetooth then. About 50% of my business is from LE and Military personnel. What you need to get when purchasing import items is a support network. Purchase from Hong Kong you get nothing if you have a problem.
Old 11-05-2007, 6:16 AM

Quote:
The real running joke is the about the name and manufacturer. Most larger companies have their products actually made in China and have their Trade Name placed on the scopes. Bushnell is one, I find it funny that people love the new ACOG lookalike from Bushnell and then crap all over the chinese copies. THEY ARE BOTH MADE IN CHINA. The same company that I bring in replicas from, is the manufacturer of scopes for bushnell, leapers, TASCO and a few others. What this really shows is that some people are actually "Trade Name Snobs". This is not to say they didn't get screwed on a product that was poorly made but not everything from china is crap. Turn in your Motorla Cell phones and bluetooth then. About 50% of my business is from LE and Military personnel. What you need to get when purchasing import items is a support network. Purchase from Hong Kong you get nothing if you have a problem.
From Bushnell you get a warranty and customer service though. From my experience you recieve no such support with the clones and further cannot trust the person you bought one from to assist you.
Old 11-05-2007, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I heard the Millett scopes are made in China also, which might explain why they are reasonably priced. I got nothing against a good product being made somewhere else as long as the quality is there. I don't wanna waste my money on low quality regardless of where it's made. Labor is cheaper in China so it makes sense that their scopes are cheaper.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Most inexpensive scopes are made in China these days, including the name brands. The Millet DMS-1 definitely is, and they're having some QC problems with them, as are GRC, who sell a similar scope with a different reticle in the FFP (reportedly made at the same factory). However, they're standing behind them, and replacing the ones with problems, but there's currently a long wait due to manufacturing delays. Most of the DMS-1 problems don't really affect scope operation.

The Chinese, like the Americans, Germans, Swedes, Japanese, etc., are capable of making high-quality gear if people are willing to define the specs and pay for it. Currently, Americans prefer to buy inexpensive stuff from China, so we get cheap gear with wide tolerances and poor QC (you can get that kind of stuff from Americans, Germans, Swedes, etc. as well).

You can definitely buy nearly identical look-alikes from Bushnell, Burris, and no-name vendors, and you'll pay more for the name brands because they do offer support and warranties, which cost more.
Old 11-06-2007, 7:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

QC is what separates the reputable US vendors from the rest. Two US vendors can get the same model scope from the same Asian factory and charge different prices and see vastly different return rates. The difference is the effort put into quality control inthe US. This was discussed in a previous thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...150#post732150

Bruce
Old 11-06-2007, 8:01 PM

these are garbage my little nephey have one on his airsoft and it broke the same day..sucks..