Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 03-03-2012, 9:19 PM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

Default Insight Shooting Range

Has any fellow member been to Insight Shooting Range in Artesia, CA? (i am new here sorry for any repost).
Its an indoor range and its a very nice place and the workers are pretty nice. But i always wondered who shot up the roof in that place. Inside the range, the celings has holes all in it. even a few right above ur head. Makes you wonder what are people doing lol
Old 03-03-2012, 9:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Welcome!! Never been there but just like any other range you got people that don't know what they are doing!!!

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788
Old 03-03-2012, 9:34 PM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

Yea i kinda figured that, but the amount of bullet holes is really amazing. next time i go, ill try and take a pix. Wish people would take more care when they go shooting. The range is by the 91 freeway, if anyone ever in area message me on here and we can try and go. They have a rule where you need to bring a buddy to shoot. but you can rent guns there which is cool.
Old 03-03-2012, 9:35 PM

Go there on "date night" and you'll see how the ceiling got holes in it.

On a positive note, it's one of the few ranges where you can rent every gun they have for a single flat fee. It's a great place to try a firearm before you buy.
Old 03-03-2012, 9:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hot brass down a small top.... Ouch!!!

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788
Old 03-03-2012, 9:45 PM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

That is true DSB. and they have a nice selection too. My funniest story is i brought by buddy with me, he has never shot a gun before. So we start off with a .22 and after we went through our ammo. We went back to the counter and rented the Beretta 92FS(9mm). So we went back into the range and shoot. So we started who was more accurate and put a clean target out. I went first and then his turn he shoot and we brought in the target and he totally missed and i was like wow lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Welcome Fighterpilot!

Insight is my home. If you see a guy (or my girl) with a big brass catcher setup, and a Calguns patch on my bag, you can stop by and say hi.

But don't take it personal if I seem disinterested or confused. I wear earplugs under the earmuffs, and you're cutting into my shooting time. lol

Go on any night (or especially date night), and you'll hear people hitting the hangers and ceiling.
I imagine they shoot straight up when they stop and pose for pictures with their fingers on the trigger.
When I was there last week (mid week), 2 lanes had the rope cut from being shot up.
I've been told the booth panels are bulletproof, but I wouldn't want to test it.

It's getting much more crowded lately, and they have implemented a 1 hour time limit if there are people waiting.
They open at 10am on Saturdays and I went last Saturday morning and got there at 10:15. There were already about 7 people, and by 11am there was a lot of people standing around and more pouring in.
Old 03-06-2012, 1:48 PM
You PC, Bro?
CGN Contributor

Haha ill keep an eye out for you, if you are outside or in lobby ill prob talk to you. but wont bug you while inside the range, cause hell its loud and i also wanna shoot lol. Maybe in a few months if i am still on here, ill buy come calgun stuff
Old 03-06-2012, 7:17 PM

Hi guys. I like insight its a good range but i dont shoot there when there are alot of people. Sorry I don't trust others.
Old 03-07-2012, 5:30 PM

I go there from time to time and wondered the same thing about the ceiling... I figured that they're mostly from:
a) First time girls that want to take their turn shooting a .44 mag or shotgun, while the rest of the group watches and laughs (I see some every time I've been there)
b) Careless tourists... you can usually spot them cause they'll be the ones takin pictures and lookin down the barrel wonderin why their gun doesn't fire... gotta watch out for these guys lol
Old 03-07-2012, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkN_MastR View Post
lookin down the barrel wonderin why their gun doesn't fire... gotta watch out for these guys lol
LOL! Everytime I go to Insight I see AT LEAST one person do this.
I like that their ropes are fast and the booths are pretty clean. One of the guys behind the counter goes to my school, also. What I don't like is before I finish off a mag, there's always someone picking up my brass before I get to!
I don't reload (yet), but geez. Give me a chance to decide if I want to pick it up or not.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 PM

ive been there a number of times and didnt like the fact that it always seemed crowded. its a very nice set up there though and they have a decent selection of guns (they even sell too which is nice). they charge about 250/year to shoot there which is 100 more than where i shoot now with less people so i opted for the cheaper, less crowded route.
Old 03-08-2012, 7:42 AM

So when's the best time to go on a weekend? I usually go Friday afternoons after work and its ok but want to bring my dad this weekend. Had been thinking Saturday before noon.
Old 03-08-2012, 8:08 AM

I find days during the week are best. I used to go ofter after school around 3-4 and I'd get a lane no problem, and could take my time.
Old 03-08-2012, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL INFIDEL View Post
Give me a chance to decide if I want to pick it up or not.
You have to build a brass catcher! They are constantly sweeping, and if I don't snag the ones that bounce out, they get swept away.
I just got a brass wizard to recover those, because I don't like looking like a range chicken. lol

If you just tell the guy you reload those, they'll try to be mindful. But if you buy reloads, then that's their brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wick View Post
they charge about 250/year to shoot there which is 100 more than where i shoot now with less people so i opted for the cheaper, less crowded route.
It is pricy, but it's very clean with good ventilation. And they do give you discounts on stuff you buy, but unfortunately no free rentals. The one in HB is ok, but I don't like that the counter is right on the other side of the glass behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
So when's the best time to go on a weekend?
Get there early at 10 or show up late. Seems there is a steady flow of people on weekends.
Old 03-08-2012, 8:22 AM
CGN Contributor

Insight is the range I go to at the moment. I don't like the one hour limit on weekends but I understand that there are people waiting. The weekday morning/afternoon is the time to go, not much people around but that's probably true for any range.

--
Support CGF on the local CA fight for gun rights. Donate Today

Join the NRA
Old 03-09-2012, 4:33 PM

@nirrad:so your the person I pointed out to my bro in law. very smart man. if I see you next time I go, ill have to check out your rig.
Old 03-20-2012, 4:25 PM

Has anyone read the yelp review for this range? theres a negative review by someone that said they are from calguns
Old 03-20-2012, 4:41 PM

Link? When was it posted? What does it say?
Old 03-20-2012, 4:49 PM
CGN Contributor

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...99#post7717399

--
Support CGF on the local CA fight for gun rights. Donate Today

Join the NRA
Old 03-20-2012, 7:28 PM

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?use...EEWxRNofZBkI6A

according to this yelper/calgunner

Ok, its been about 6 months, so I dont remember the exact details but remember that all this is pretty much what happened. I am in no way going to sugarcoat it in any way. (Writing it now since a friend told me to post this up here.... I said why not)

So, it was my brother in-law's birthday, and I decided to take him out shooting since he was pretty interested in going with me for a while. He doesn't own anything, so why not, Ill take this opportunity to take him.

I bring my own handguns along with 300 rounds of ammo. Cost for me at the range should be about $18, we share lanes so total no more than $30 for both me and my brother in-law.

So, he wanted to try out some other pistols, so I told him to go ahead. Its only $10 to rent a gun from them and additional $15-20 per box of ammo that we buy for that specific gun.

So total so far shouldn't be anymore than $40 + the ammo we buy which was no more than 5 boxes.

So here's the breakdown.

Sharing range fee me and my brother in-law
$30

Gun rental fee:
$10

5 boxes of ammo:
Max $100

So, they were closing, we stayed there as long as we could since we still had some ammo left to shoot. We walk out, and I told the worker there my lane. He hands me my ID and tallies up the total and says we owe $320 something, give or take +$10

I was like, wait a minute.... something's wrong.
WHY THE HECK IS OUR BILL SO EXPENSIVE!!!!!

I politely asked him to recount because there was a mistake. at most, should not cost more than $140 I would think (My brother in-law got like 4-5 boxes of ammo) I remembered this because I counted that time since I was paying, I wanted to make sure he didn't get too much haha. And I just shot my own gun and ammo.

Anyways, the guy behind the counter tells me I got 10 or so boxes of ammo, plus 4 guys in our lane... at that moment I stopped him. I told him it was only the 2 of us and this is all we ordered. He goes on to tell me that we are wrong and that there were 4 guys and blah blah blah.
At that moment, I got pretty pissed but I kept my composure and explained to him again. He would not take it. We were pretty much one of the last ones to leave. So the other 2 guys left already and we were responsible for their tab. WTF?

My Brother in-law did not want any drama and he forked over $240 and asked if I could cover the rest. I did not want to pay that, but the worker did not even want to acknowledge his fault. So, what could I do. I did not want to look like a cheapo in front of my brother so I just asked him to pay $100 and I took care of the rest. It was his birthday after all.

So I was out of that much money, only shot for about 2 hrs and paid all that much because guys behind the counter were a bunch of idiots who did not know how to run a business or own up to their mistakes.

This was my second time there, but last. I will never go back again.
Just the fact that they would not even listen to what I had to say was enough for me to just give it up. I knew I should've called the cops and all, but honestly, it was his birthday and I did not want to cause any trouble since that was just the beginning of the night.

I am a member of Calguns, been to many shooting places, indoor and outdoors. Have enough vouches online with close friends I have met and know who I am. If you think I am lying, then go ahead, but I dont have any reason to lie about what I experienced.
It really is a shame. First time I went, was pleasant, place was neat and nice. 2nd time i'd thought I bring my brother to a nice place and this happens.... Just a shame...

This place is rated very high, and I can understand that, and if this never happened to me, I would probably give it a nice 5 stars, but since whoever was working behind the counter that day was a douche, I give this place a 1 star. Own up to your mistake and either a) give me back some of my money or b) they should have apologized and charged me fairly. Many of you will probably give me 2 thumbs down because you love this place but hey, if this happened to you, what would you do???
Old 03-21-2012, 8:26 AM

Oh man, that's an awful story. I would have gone ape **** for sure.
And while it's an extreme case of bad service, overall it's still a pretty good place to go.

On another note, Sunday mornings are busy too. Got there 15min after they opened, and was already full.
Old 03-21-2012, 9:11 AM

That's a crappy story. I think when you go, they take the ID's of both the shooters, right? So if he's only getting two ID's back, how are there four shooters?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Not looking to hash an old story or discount a fellow member, but yeah that's correct. They collect the ID's from every person shooting. And sitting on it for 6 months?

Still a great place though.