Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-24-2012, 1:02 PM

Default "Good Moral Character"

We now have a situation where the SF Sheriff is no longer qualified (as of right now) to possess firearms because of a DV charge. Yet, this is the same government official that the legislature has chosen to decide if an individual has "Good Moral Character" when a citizen applies for a LTC. The irony is obvious to everyone, but is there an angle here that can be exploited in a legal challenge to the "Good Moral Character" clause of the statute so we can ask the court to define "Good Moral Character" for the State so we can take this decision out of the Sheriff's hands? How can a person be tasked on behalf of the County to define "good moral character" for LTC's if that same person has been determined by the Court to not have good enough moral character to begin with? Surely there's some legal precedent that can be used to help us here?
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 02-24-2012, 1:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Don't go out and get lost in the weeds on the issues.

In our case of Richards v. Prieto, Alan Gura has brilliantly shown how GC and GMC requirements (facially, and as-applied) are unconstitutional prior restraints.

There are other arguments (none as proper or direct as Alan's) re moral character, but those would require litigation. Such would be unnecessarily duplicative and detractory.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-24-2012, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

In San Francisco, being a Democrat qualifies you as having "Good Moral Character," and since people of good moral character love everybody and don't need or want guns, clearly only people who want guns are by definition not of good moral character.

J/K - ill be interested to see what happens with this. SF is one of the most anti-gun municipalities this side of Pyongyang, so it would be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 02-24-2012, 1:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good point.
What is the criteria for "good moral character" as defined by the state? That's what I would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
This is a discussion forum, that's what happens on a discussion forum.
People talk, discuss, speculate and share information.
Old 02-24-2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Good point.
What is the criteria for "good moral character" as defined by the state? That's what I would like to know.
There isn't a criteria as defined by the state. There is no definition of good cause either. That's what enables sheriffs to issue so differently from one another. Look for both of those issues to be solved by pending litigation. Richards, which Brandon mentioned above is the one looking to change both of those problems.

-Brandon
Old 02-24-2012, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post
We now have a situation where the SF Sheriff is no longer qualified (as of right now) to possess firearms because of a DV charge. Yet, this is the same government official that the legislature has chosen to decide if an individual has "Good Moral Character" when a citizen applies for a LTC. The irony is obvious to everyone, but is there an angle here that can be exploited in a legal challenge to the "Good Moral Character" clause of the statute so we can ask the court to define "Good Moral Character" for the State so we can take this decision out of the Sheriff's hands? How can a person be tasked on behalf of the County to define "good moral character" for LTC's if that same person has been determined by the Court to not have good enough moral character to begin with? Surely there's some legal precedent that can be used to help us here?
Which could easily be worded to show how GMC applied is the right thing to do.

Example: The Sheriff didn't demonstrate good moral character - and thus his right was denied.
Old 02-24-2012, 1:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
Which could easily be worded to show how GMC applied is the right thing to do.

Example: The Sheriff didn't demonstrate good moral character - and thus his right was denied.
Well, no. The Sheriff is denied access to firearms by operation of his being a prohibited person, just like anyone else. He is not a carry license applicant.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-24-2012, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post
There's no irony here. I believe that this was covered in first grade: "It takes one to know one."? How else can he know who is a scum-bag undeserving of the right to self-protection unless he IS one?
Old 02-24-2012, 6:11 PM

I'm sorry, but the whole "good moral character" thing is such a sham it's shameful. It is so intellectually disingenuous to be able to purchase a gun and in the same breath, state that you cannot have what you have purchased with you. That, right there is the clear definition of insanity.

On an unrelated note, it was GREAT to see someone wearing a "right to bear arms"....a bear with a gun....walking through Costco in Oceanside (Hacienda) tonight!

NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

Old 02-24-2012, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJoke View Post
I'm sorry, but the whole "good moral character" thing is such a sham it's shameful. It is so intellectually disingenuous to be able to purchase a gun and in the same breath, state that you cannot have what you have purchased with you. That, right there is the clear definition of insanity.

On an unrelated note, it was GREAT to see someone wearing a "right to bear arms"....a bear with a gun....walking through Costco in Oceanside (Hacienda) tonight!
With an EBR, right?
Old 02-24-2012, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
In San Francisco, being a Democrat qualifies you as having "Good Moral Character," and since people of good moral character love everybody and don't need or want guns, clearly only people who want guns are by definition not of good moral character.
Ha ha! I don't know from San Francisco, but I'm a Democrat of good moral character and I'm licensed to carry three guns here in Sacramento County.
Old 02-24-2012, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Its pretty crazy we are even allowing "these" people to decide what we can and cant do.
Who are they to judge? Why are we letting them control how we protect our lives from non law abiding citizens?
Old 02-24-2012, 7:40 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Its pretty crazy we are even allowing "these" people to decide what we can and cant do.
Who are they to judge? Why are we letting them control how we protect our lives from non law abiding citizens?
Because gun control laws are enforced by men with guns.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
There's no irony here. I believe that this was covered in first grade: "It takes one to know one."? How else can he know who is a scum-bag undeserving of the right to self-protection unless he IS one?
Ah, I just LOVE impeccable reasoning!
Old 02-24-2012, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Ha ha! I don't know from San Francisco, but I'm a Democrat of good moral character and I'm licensed to carry three guns here in Sacramento County.
I don't know guys, should Democrats be allowed to carry guns?!
Old 02-24-2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
With an EBR, right?
Yeah...was that you? 20 something looking guy....

Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 PM

I believe the “good moral character” clause as illustrated in the CalGuns model carry guidelines is “not otherwise prohibited” thus if you are not excluded by current legislation from owning a firearm you by default have such required good moral character. Seems the SF Sherriff is lacking at the moment.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah...was that you? 20 something looking guy....
I haven't been to San Diego in over 20 years. I'm 30 years old. That should tell you something....also, "good looking"? I shatter mirrors with my ugly...

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 02-24-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
When the law was originally written it was the code for not African American, Latino or Asian.
Old 02-25-2012, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Damn good question.
Old 02-25-2012, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Who are they to judge? Why are we letting them contofl how we protect our lives from non law abiding citizens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
Damn good question.
Because the 1923 Legislature decided this to be so, and until the good cause & good moral character struck by order if federal or state judge, they will continue to so what they are doing.
Old 02-25-2012, 8:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Because the 1923 Legislature decided this to be so, and until the good cause & good moral character struck by order if federal or state judge, they will continue to so what they are doing.
jim crow gun control a progressive policy plank in California... Who knew?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPedroShooter View Post
jim crow gun control a progressive policy plank in California... Who knew?
People need clue bats.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM

In my mind, their "good moral character" requirement would be analogous to:

You could buy but not drink:

You can own but are prohibited from using outside your home:

You may posses but cannot make reference to (in thought or word):

Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
In my mind, their "good moral character" requirement would be analogous to:

You could buy but not drink:

Containers over 12 ounces are considered assault cups and must be registered or transported out of state.I thought everyone knew this?

Quote:
You can own but are prohibited from using outside your home:

...unless you donate to the political campaign of the current politician.

Quote:

You may posses but cannot make reference to (in thought or word):

Didn't you know only approved Bibles can be possessed in the state? The King James Bible is not approved as it does not possess a "Page Read Indicator".