Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-21-2012, 8:47 AM

Default AAR: Phoenix Tactical Solutions: Handgun 2/18/2012

It was a great class this past Saturday at Angeles Ranges with Phoenix Tactical Solutions, and I highly recommend them!

I arrived a little late around 9:15, and Maani and Sean from Phoenix Tactical already had the range fully setup with about a dozen target stands using their custom silhouette targets and were going through some basic drills. I have taken classes with them before, so after a brief weapons check and safety review we started into the class.

The Class was very comprehensive, and they did a good job of working gradually from simple to more challenging exercises, and they constanly gauge your abilities and modify the course to suit and challenge your individual skill level.

All the drills are done drawing from a holster to practice safe draw, and then adding speed as you progress throughout the day.

Phoenix uses custom targets with 2 highlighted "A" zones. The heart is about 4-5 inches, and the ocular area is about 2x5 inches. They work well because they force you to aim and shoot precisely. The goal was to have all shots, for all exercises, in the two gray target zones. Very precise and very tough in some exercises trying to do "heart shots" and "head shots" while moving or off the draw from 25 yards away.

We continued the class with close contact shooting, first single targets then on to multiple targets. Next we did some drills where the target was to our strong side or weak side or behind us. We had to pivot 90 or 180 degrees, draw, and then shoot. That progressed into multiple target engagement with double taps and eventually into a "fail to stop" (mozambique) drill. Lastly, we did several shooting and moving drills, starting from 1 arm length, shooting from the draw, and then continued shooting as we walked backwards.

The final (and most fun) part of the class was the Assault Course. They setup all of the target stands into a single course of fire that included all of the things we learned and practiced. Starting from 5' away with the targets behind you, turn and draw, double-tap three targets in the heart, then run to cover with muzzle safety and hit 3 targets from behind the barricade. The barricade has cut-outs and staggered sides, so you shoot the targets twice each standing, squatting, and then kneeling from different locations. Still behind cover, do a speed or tac reload, then 1-2 shots each on 4 more targets while moving towards them. Occasionally, just when we thought we were finished with the last shot, we would pause, check our surroundings and be ready to holster, and they would call out a surprise drill--"One to the head" and we had to immediately react and hit the target.

One thing I really appreciated about the class was the instructors' attention to detail. They were constantly watching the mechanics of how you shoot, telling me if my stance was off, if I was didn't grip my gun correctly at the draw, or if I had a weak grip on my support hand. A lot of little things that helped improve my accuracy. I was watching where I hit, and they were wathcing how I shot..... That type of the real-time feedback really helps to clean up some bad habits and improve your accuracy.

If you take a Phoenix Class, which I highly recommend you do, be ready to shoot A LOT! Although it was only a half day class, we were almost always shooting, and I went through all 500 rounds I took.

A BIG THANKS to Maani and Sean for another great class. Their insight, instruction, and helpful tips made this a very beneficial class. You really should check them out.
Old 02-21-2012, 9:17 AM

I always like to ask this question to gauge the course. Can you name a few things that you feel you need to work on and how the training helped you identify and strengthen those areas?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Sounds like you had a great time. How does it compare to other outfits you've trained with?
Old 02-21-2012, 2:23 PM

To answer the questions:
1: One thing that they pointed out to me that I wasn't really aware of was my grip. It was something I didn't think too much about untill they pointed it out to me again and again.......until I finally listened and followed their suggestions. They offered tips and suggestions on my support hand placement and pressure, as well as the actual grip on my gun (the rubber Hogue finger grip I was using was probably too big for my hand). I just took off that grip and replaced it with the stock grip, and I'll be focusing more on my support hand when practicing.

2: Pheonix is one of the best goups I've trained with simply because of their attention to detail. Their classes have been small so you get a better teacher-to-student ratio, and they really keep an eye on your shooting mechanics to let you know what you might be doing wrong. They also don't "force" you to use their methods. As they said in class "this is just one way to do it that we found works very well", and you're free to try it and NOT use it if it doesn't suit you.

The thing I like best about Phoenix is that I feel they are geared more towards the individual shooter. Other groups I have traind with move into "group tactics", "two man teams" or "Room clearing teams" at higher levels. I'm not an L.E.O. or in the military, so I doubt that I'll ever use team tactics in a real life situation. Phoenix offers me what I want, more individual training.

(This is my opinion only. I'm sure that Pheonix can provide training in group tactics if you ask them to).
Old 02-21-2012, 3:11 PM

Cool, thanks for the reply.
Old 02-21-2012, 7:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thank you for your kind words.

Here you are navigating the assault course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshhJ...1&feature=plcp

Look forward to working with you again!!!