Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-09-2012, 9:57 PM

Default Hornady 9mm dies

I just ordered a set of Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Nitride 3-Die set in 9mm. Have any of you ever used these dies, what are your thoughts?
They come with a 100 free bullet rebate.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've always used RCBS but couldn't resist the Hornady free bullet offer so I ordered a set in 7mm RemMag. They should arrive from Midway tomorrow. I'm interested in seeing how the bullet centering tube works out.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I have several sets of Hornady dies and like them. The collet seater on the rifle dies I like better than the seater on my RCBS dies. I actually bought some Hornady dies off ebay when I have the same dies in RCBS due to the seater system.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM

The only set of nitride dies I ever had didn't wear for crap. They also left a lot of really fine scratches during the sizing operation. I bought a carbide set and never looked back.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM

The Hornady dies are fine for loading pistol, but their rifle dies suck big time. I would get stuck .223 cases all too frequently. Switched my rifle dies to Redding and have yet to get another stuck case.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhleen View Post
The Hornady dies are fine for loading pistol, but their rifle dies suck big time. I would get stuck .223 cases all too frequently. Switched my rifle dies to Redding and have yet to get another stuck case.
Well, I've loaded hundreds of .308 with the Hornady and they work great. Stuck cases are inevitably a lube problem. Hard to imagine a major ammo manufacturer making poor qulaity dies.
Old 02-10-2012, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

i ordered some middle of January and they are still on backorder. Welcome to the wait.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 02-10-2012, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I had problems with stuck cases in 223/308/30-06/7.5 Swiss dies when I ran out of RCBS case spray and used Hornady 1 shot case lube. I got a new RCBS pump spray case lube and no more trouble. The dies were RCBS/Hornady and Redding brand. If you have trouble with stuck cases it will be the lube and not the dies almost every time. If you have a problem with RCBS/Hornady they will take care of it. I do not know about Redding/Lyman as I have not had to call them. Lee gave me crap and the run-around. I could have just got a bad can of Hornady lube but I know the RCBS stuff works from 204Ruger to 50bmg so that is what I will always use.
Old 02-10-2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runway1 View Post
Well, I've loaded hundreds of .308 with the Hornady and they work great. Stuck cases are inevitably a lube problem. Hard to imagine a major ammo manufacturer making poor qulaity dies.
Just because you make quality ammo does not mean you make quality reloading equipment. All my pistol dies are Hornady, but never again will I use their rifle dies.
Old 02-10-2012, 8:06 PM

I have only reloaded rifle ammo, this will be my first pistol reloading. I have used only RCBS 2 die sets for all my rifle dies and never had any problems with them. The thought of having 3 dies that do the work of 4 and the rebate of 100 bullets just sealed the deal for the Hornady 9mm dies.

Yes, they are on back order and will not ship until mid April.