Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Butte

Butte County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by obeygiant; 10-18-2010 at 9:12 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 4:13 PM

is this where the known good "good cause" statements go?
Old 10-18-2010, 6:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Please email scanned copies to ccw@calgunsfdn.org

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 10-18-2010, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmon View Post
is this where the known good "good cause" statements go?
If you want to contribute any known good cause statements you can do either of the following:

Any good cause statements that are received will be redacted before being posted online.

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 10-20-2010, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Does anyone know the length of time required in California (all time spent living in Butte county) to meet the requirement in regards to residency to be good to go for applying for a CCW? Moved back here in April. Haven't been able to find anything specific online. Thanks.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 10-20-2010, 8:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post
Does anyone know the length of time required in California (all time spent living in Butte county) to meet the requirement in regards to residency to be good to go for applying for a CCW? Moved back here in April. Haven't been able to find anything specific online. Thanks.

CA PC 12050CAL. PEN. CODE § 12050

Quote:
(D)For the purpose of subparagraph (A), the applicant shall satisfy any one of the following:

(i)Is a resident of the county or a city within the county.

(ii)Spends a substantial period of time in the applicant's principal place of employment or business in the county or a city within the county.
From the Butte CCW Policy:
Quote:
4. Proof of Residency
  1. Bring a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill, or other forms showing that your main residence is in the County of Butte.
As you can see above, PC12050 does not stipulate the amount of time one must reside in the county, only that you must be a resident or spend a substantial amount of time there as your principal place of employment. Butte is one of the few counties that does not list an amount of time that one has to reside in the county before applying.

Old 10-20-2010, 9:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I thought I'd missed something in researching it. Thanks for the clarification, Obeygiant.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 05-07-2011, 6:33 PM

The instructions for the Butte County CCW application say that the applicant must put 26 of 30 rounds fired into the target at 21 feet in full and dim lighting.

Does anyone know (even approximately) which target is used for qualification? My wife is concerned about qualifying with her new LCR and it seems like some range practice might help to build confidence.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 06-15-2011, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone have the list of Butte "good cause statements". It has been on my mind to apply but money is precious and I am not going to spend it for a denial.

I am exposed daily to known gang members and interact with them. They know who I am and what I drive. Also I am tertiary involved in a situation with a mentally unstable and threatening person.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 AM

My understanding is that "self-defense" is good cause in Butte County and that they are effectively shall-issue. Perhaps others can expand/clarify, I haven't been through the process myself (yet).
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 06-16-2011, 3:21 PM

Ive never met anyone in Butte Co that's been denied. It's a shall issue county.

Quote:
"Justice Sotomayor, states may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional."
- Gura
Old 06-16-2011, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Should I just put "self-defense" or do I need a more detailed explanation?
Thanks.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 06-16-2011, 5:14 PM

I'm in the process of relocating my residence to Butte County so have been looking into this question. The most helpful resource I've found so far has been the Chico Rod & Gun Club, who appear to offer CCW class/qualification sessions twice monthly. They have a 7 minute YouTube video discussion of the process:

I get the impression the thing to do is to go to your class/qualification first, THEN go down to the sheriff's office with the target/class certificate. They don't bother with an interview.

Paradise Rod & Gun Club also does CCW classes/qualifications but their website only mentions that they're held sometimes on Sundays. http://www.theprgclub.org

To answer the question I asked a few messages up in the thread, I understand that the qualification target is approximately the size of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper - it's the center ring(s) of a B-29 NRA target, so it'll be a little more oval than the rectangular paper.
Old 06-22-2011, 3:11 PM

So it sounds like "Self Defense" is no longer acceptable in and of itself. An acquaintance turned in is app with "Self Defense" and was contacted to provide further details. I'll update as I find out.

Quote:
"Justice Sotomayor, states may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional."
- Gura
Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

If self-defense is no longer valid do we need a CGF action regarding this? I await more information.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozr View Post
So it sounds like "Self Defense" is no longer acceptable in and of itself. An acquaintance turned in is app with "Self Defense" and was contacted to provide further details. I'll update as I find out.
Any updates/news on this situation?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Spoke to the individual that was "denied". Apparently all he wrote was "self defense" and nothing more. The SO called and requested he include more info for which he stated "past threats violent/non violent family" (or some such) and it was processed.

Quote:
- Gura
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the update - sounds like all is still well in Butte County.
Old 07-12-2011, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

ok so Self Defense is enough but it is clearly better to have a bit more information to give.

Sounds like its save up for CCW time for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 8:16 PM

I got my ccw in Butte county in about 1 month ps try flying brass for your qual. certificate they are very good and reasonable
Old 08-13-2011, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bigtow View Post
I got my ccw in Butte county in about 1 month ps try flying brass for your qual. certificate they are very good and reasonable
I second this for Flying Brass. Way more personal defense training than the others offer.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 PM

When I did my CCW for Butte I had a friend turn the PDF form into an editable document so everything would look nice and neat (I'm sure there are three year olds that have better penmanship than myself).
After going through the class and qualifying I went down to the sheriff's office with all of my paperwork (btw, you will be the office gal's buddy if you bring exact cash). She reviewed all of my paperwork, read through my GC and informed me the sheriff likes to see about 3/4's of the area filled out. I simply elaborated on my causes and all was well.
The important things to remember:
Dress nicely, be courteous, smile, and be polite. There was a gentlemen that came in while I was waiting, who was very loud, and disrespectful about his permit (apparently it had expired).
I don't know the outcome of what happened, but I know that my permit showed up in the mail about 5-6 weeks later.
Don't be afraid of applying in Butte county, if you're background is clear, you have gone through all of the classes, and put 27 out of 30 on paper you should be good to go.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds like "personal protection" is not good 'nuff to make it fly.
Old 11-06-2011, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
if you just put down personal protection you would probably be asked to put more down.
However if you described where you are going, what you are doing, and who you are with, and why you need to be protected chances are you will go straight through.
Old 11-06-2011, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Yes it is just give examples. Such as "I often travel_________ where Law Enforcement has little to no presence." or "I take trips to _________ where there is a high crime rate." or "To give myself the ability to protect myself, while complying with CA law." By OR I mean put them all down. Plus be creative and make some of your own examples and situations. Make sure they are truthful but give the man a fair idea as to why you would like to carry. Being able to articulate a few good written lines is all he wants to see from us. Took me 7 weeks from live scan.
Old 11-06-2011, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

The man should be satisfied with the fact that I'm a law abiding citizen and I want to carry a gun for my personal protection.
Old 11-07-2011, 4:55 PM

Quote:
The man should be satisfied with the fact that I'm a law abiding citizen and I want to carry a gun for my personal protection.
He is. He just wants to cover his arse a bit. There is no interview or anything of the such. I can't imagine it being any easier than it currently is, you take a class and pass the live scan. As I understand it he feels the need to require "good cause" if you can call it that around here, because of the laws wording. But what he accepts is up to him, hence why he is so easy going with what he accepts.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM

I know, I know dumb question, but I'm up here for school and working up here as well, so everything I have has my address to where I'm from. So, my dumb question being, what exactly shows my current residency where I reside most regularly? Will they accept something like a pay stub? And no I do not have a rental agreement or bills with my name on it currently.

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question
Old 02-09-2012, 6:10 PM

Submitted my CCW today at the Butte County Sheriff headquarters. Lady at desk liked my paperwork. Did lifescan and prepared ccw permit. Process is to review and then inform me to proceed with CCW class. Pretty harmless so far. Another guy was there getting his renewal. I'll let you know of results. I believe my GC statement is decent and should avoid any scrutiny.
Old 02-10-2012, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Scot View Post
Submitted my CCW today at the Butte County Sheriff headquarters. Lady at desk liked my paperwork. Did lifescan and prepared ccw permit. Process is to review and then inform me to proceed with CCW class. Pretty harmless so far. Another guy was there getting his renewal. I'll let you know of results. I believe my GC statement is decent and should avoid any scrutiny.
Were you required to pay the fees in total up front or did you pay 20% of the local fees and the DOJ/LiveScan fee, with the balance of the local fees payble upon issuance of a license to carry?

Were you required to provide documentation establishing residency (like utility bills, rental agreement or property tax documents) for a specified duration?

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by CitaDeL; 02-10-2012 at 1:24 PM..
Old 02-10-2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Were you required to pay the fees in total up front or did you pay 20% of the local fees and the DOJ/LiveScan fee, with the balance of the local fees payble upon issuance of a license to carry?

Were you required to provide documentation establishing residency (like utility bills, rental agreement or property tax documents) for a specified duration?
I paid $108 up front with the balance of $54 due upon issuance. I only provided my DMV registration and drivers license for proof of residency. No request to prove duration.
Old 02-10-2012, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I paid $108 up front with the balance of $54 due upon issuance. I only provided my DMV registration and drivers license for proof of residency. No request to prove duration.
Sounds like Butte is more up to speed on the law than Shasta. Congratulations.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 02-13-2012, 4:29 PM

Sheriff Smith came to our lunch meeting back in January and made it very clear that he was in favor of the 2nd Amendment. Didn't dwell much on ccw/ltc but made it pretty clear that if you have "good cause" and pass background you will get through easily.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM

Woot! Just found out that my good cause and background check have been approved, time to take the class and go pick up my LTC!

Applied 1/27/12, got the happy letter on 3/7/12. My wife applied the same day, no results for her yet.
Old 03-09-2012, 7:43 AM

Nice! Who are you using for class? I'm thinking of Flying Brass once I receive my approval to proceed.
Old 03-18-2012, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Nice! Who are you using for class? I'm thinking of Flying Brass once I receive my approval to proceed.
I'm not sure who I'm going to use - had planned to use Safer Arms because I've been going there with my wife to practice (she is also getting her CCW) and she wanted to take the class where we've practiced.

but . . .

when the background check letter comes back OK, the SO sends you a "training authorization" letter that says "THIS LETTER IS VALID FOR 30 DAYS".

So we went to Safer Arms yesterday for some more practice (we're both consistently shooting well enough to qualify, but my wife is very competitive and wants to be perfect, not adequate) and tried to sign up for the class . . . but they don't have any classes available for 3 weeks, and my authorization letter will expire before the next Saturday class, and my wife has class on Tuesday nights.

OK, I thought, I'll use that Caleb/Flying Brass guy, people seem to like him . . . except his classes are on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, and yesterday was the 3rd Saturday in March, and he's not doing a class on the 1st Saturday in April for some reason . . . so he won't have a class for another month, which is also after my training letter expires.

OK, cool, I'll use Chico Rod & Gun, they seem like nice guys from their video stuff online and I've been wanting to check out their facilities . . . but their classes are on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, which I've just missed by 2 days, and my letter will expire before the 1st Friday in April.

So now I'm down to the last 2 people in Butte County on the list - one of them is Forrest Holmbach, who is one of the head folks at Paradise Rod & Gun Club, and he seems like a good guy from what I can find on the Internet, so I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what his story is - the other authorized instructor has no information available, will probably give him a call, too.

So I'm gonna get it done, even if it means I have to take a day off from work, but this 30 day authorization thing is a pain in the *** if the class providers are only going to offer 1 or 2 classes per month.

Reorganizing my schedule or missing a day of work is still much, much better than things are for most of CA (by population) - so I'm aware that in the big picture, this is a minor thing - but, arrgh, it's frustrating to get so close and then have the bureaucratic crap slow it down further.

So the moral of this story is - when you get your letter, get your class lined up right away. I waited a little while because my wife's authorization letter was a week behind mine in the mail, and she bought a new gun that's still in the 10-day hold at the FFL, and she wants to put that gun on her permit, so we have to take the class after she picks up the new gun . . but, all things considered, I'm lucky to live in a county where getting a CCW is pretty easy, and to have a wife that likes to shoot and buy new guns and get a CCW.
Old 03-18-2012, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

It seems every time an issuing agency is educated- (even ones reputed to be friendly to LTC) it seems to me that the agency will look for another way to futz with an applicant.

First, this letter of 'training authorization' is something that the Butte County Sheriff has made up... or at least renamed the statutory approval/denial letter that one is supposed to recieve within the designated timeframe after their application has been received. Second, the Sheriff appears to be imposing an expiration date on his approval- which is exceeds his authority to impose. You are either approved or denied and any disqualifying event or circumstance subsequent to the application would invalidate the license once it was issued anyway.

Were it me, I would probably be inclined to write a letter (certified, return reciept requested) requesting an extention given the scheduling circumstances, citing the probability that you would have to take time off work and indicate that such expirations of approval exceed his discretion. This would be after of course, consulting with Wildhawker.

Old 03-19-2012, 2:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I can comment on this a bit further after Nordyke but I agree with CitaDel and concur with his suggestion.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-20-2012, 5:30 AM

I talked with Sean at Safer Arms. He informed me that one only need to be registered for a class within the thirty days. The actual class does not need to take place within the thirty days. I will call the Sheriff's Office this morning to confirm.
Old 03-20-2012, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Butte Co Sheriff needs to follow the law...

Quote:
I talked with Sean at Safer Arms. He informed me that one only need to be registered for a class within the thirty days. The actual class does not need to take place within the thirty days. I will call the Sheriff's Office this morning to confirm.
Even if Sean at Safer Arms is correct, it does not jive with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdawg View Post
...when the background check letter comes back OK, the SO sends you a "training authorization" letter that says "THIS LETTER IS VALID FOR 30 DAYS".

And assuming this is all a misunderstanding and it is simply a requirement to register for a class within thirty days, what are the consequences to not registering for a LTC class within the Sheriff's perscribed timetable?

Ultimately, if his approval is still contingent upon acting within a timetable that is not his to set, it is still an abuse of his discretion. When he says "Yes", the only way I believe it can lawfully become "NO" is for you to be a prohibited person or permanently move out of state.