Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned

Default Gun shops that carry powder in the east bay area?

Well I'm new to reloading and don't even know what kind of powder would be best, Im just getting everything together. I see hasmat fees are outrageous? So I was wondering what gun shops in the east bay sell powder/primers >30 miles away from hayward? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2012, 1:01 AM
Banned

Irvington Arms and J&R Sports come to mind.
Old 01-29-2012, 6:32 AM

USI range in Bay Point
Old 01-29-2012, 7:13 AM

The mark up on powder and primers at local shops might make you reconsider your online options. Smaller shops have overhead that completely justifies their pricing model on the one hand, but it's understandable you want to save as much money on the other hand when buying supplies to lower your overall reloading costs.

What I've found is that most shops selling powder run around $22-$29+ per lb. I've seen primers (CCI) go for $35-$40+ per 1,000. Yes, there is no hazmat fee, but you will pay taxes (plust time and gas "value" to consider). So for a "one-off" or small quantity powder or primer purchase, you can't beat the local shop's pricing, timing and convenience.

But, if you plan ahead and bulk your purchases a bit and buy a few pounds of powder and/or a few thousand primers (sounds like a lot, but it goes quickly ;-) at one time, you can come out ahead. Many mail order shops will charge a separate hazmat fee for both primers and powders, while others will combine your order on one hazmat fee. This is what you have to watch out for as those fees will wipe out any possible savings. Shipping charges vary as well. Some charge by weight, others will batch in flat rate boxes.

I was in a shop yesterday and one of my fav powders was $21 for 1 lb (great price for a small shop and what you generally see at the big gun shows in the bay area). Their CCI primers were $35 per 1000. So, if I bought 4 lbs of powder and 4 bricks of primers, my OTD cost wold have been $273.60. That exact same order at my fav online shop would cost me $14.70 per lb of powder, $24.00 per 1,000 CCI primers, hazmat charge of $27.50 and SH fee of $13.95 and insurance fee of $.50 for a total of $196.75. That's a saving's of almost $77.

Do I buy supplies locally to support shops in the area? Yes, I do. Do I like to save money and shape my buying habits to take advantage of savings? Yes, I do. Different situations call for different strategies. Just throwing this out there as each has pros and cons (i.e., sometimes you have to spend more to save more and other times you don't have that much to spend...)
Old 01-29-2012, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkphibr View Post
The mark up on powder and primers at local shops might make you reconsider your online options. Smaller shops have overhead that completely justifies their pricing model on the one hand, but it's understandable you want to save as much money on the other hand when buying supplies to lower your overall reloading costs.

What I've found is that most shops selling powder run around $22-$29+ per lb. I've seen primers (CCI) go for $35-$40+ per 1,000. Yes, there is no hazmat fee, but you will pay taxes (plust time and gas "value" to consider). So for a "one-off" or small quantity powder or primer purchase, you can't beat the local shop's pricing, timing and convenience.

But, if you plan ahead and bulk your purchases a bit and buy a few pounds of powder and/or a few thousand primers (sounds like a lot, but it goes quickly ;-) at one time, you can come out ahead. Many mail order shops will charge a separate hazmat fee for both primers and powders, while others will combine your order on one hazmat fee. This is what you have to watch out for as those fees will wipe out any possible savings. Shipping charges vary as well. Some charge by weight, others will batch in flat rate boxes.

I was in a shop yesterday and one of my fav powders was $21 for 1 lb (great price for a small shop and what you generally see at the big gun shows in the bay area). Their CCI primers were $35 per 1000. So, if I bought 4 lbs of powder and 4 bricks of primers, my OTD cost wold have been $273.60. That exact same order at my fav online shop would cost me $14.70 per lb of powder, $24.00 per 1,000 CCI primers, hazmat charge of $27.50 and SH fee of $13.95 and insurance fee of $.50 for a total of $196.75. That's a saving's of almost $77.

Do I buy supplies locally to support shops in the area? Yes, I do. Do I like to save money and shape my buying habits to take advantage of savings? Yes, I do. Different situations call for different strategies. Just throwing this out there as each has pros and cons (i.e., sometimes you have to spend more to save more and other times you don't have that much to spend...)
I could not have said it better.

The local friendly gunshop I frequent, most local to me (still a half hour away by freeway), charges $40 for 1000 Winchester Large Pistol Primers. I pay $25/1000 at my online source. I do occasionally buy primers from my local shop, along with the pound of powder from time to time, but for sure when I am buying 16 pounds of powder and 20K of primers, I buy it online.
Old 02-02-2012, 9:43 PM

I try to support local but when I need 8lbs of powder and several thousand primers I head to http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

they are one of the few online sellers that will combine powder and primers for one hazmat fee!

Mike
Old 02-05-2012, 1:57 AM

Old west gun room - 3509 Carlson Boulevard, El Cerrito, CA, 94530-3999, (510) 525-5329

CITY ARMS EAST - Pleasant Hill, 60 Golf Club Road, Unit B, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523, Tel: 925-691-5017 Fax: 925-691-5981
Old 02-05-2012, 6:27 AM
Banned

don't forget that local shops selection sucks. I gave up buying powder from my local shops... they just won't carry what I need or when I need it. Buy 5lbs or so at a time in the group purchases and it's totally worth it. I was paying 25-30 buck a pound for powder locally, now I'm getting it for <20 bucks pound. Really stacks up the savings. I would generally avoid getting reloading supplies locally unless you need a very small amount.

For what it's worth, J&R, Reeds and Irvington Arms seemed to be the best at carrying said supplies. Just not anything I need.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Many local shops have good pricing on primers- last time I went to Rod and Gun (Richmond)- primers were $30- 1k. I've had my buddy pick-up powder for me at Discount Shooter Supplies (Roseville). Next time I go to Tahoe I'll stop along the way and stock-up for myself. Another option is making a big order online so it's worth your while... I order with friends and split the hazmat fees- just thought I'd plant this in your head

Last edited by iano1; 02-06-2012 at 10:39 PM..