Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-05-2012, 9:05 AM

Default Barnes copper fouling in 460 S&W

I just shot some Barnes 275gr XTP loaded with 41 gr of H110. Very accurate round
but I had real bad copper fouling in the barrel. This was the first time I shot the gun, any ideas in what caused the bad fouling??
Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

New roughter barrel maybe. Shoot some regular jacketed ammo in it then try the barnes ammo. The harder jackets can help smooth out the barrel. I do not have a problem in my 44mag or 454casull. Also be sure to use the barnes copper solvent or Sweets 7.62 solvent to clean it before shooting the copper bullets. Hoppies 9 will not do it. You must start with a very clean barrel. I use wipe-out then sweets 7.62 before and after shooting barnes bullets myself.
Old 02-06-2012, 7:22 AM

Default Bore fowling

New barrels will foul until they are broken in, perfectly normal. Try using a bore lube designed to prevent fouling. Never shoot a dry barrel. I use Holland's Witch's Brew Break-in Fluid, also known as Witch's Brew Bore Lube. Follow instructions on the bottle. It helps not to over heat the barrel and clean after every few shots, say every cylinder full, until about 50 rounds have been run through the bore. If the barrel has a rough forcing cone or throat, or is not timed perfectly, that can increase fouling that is deposited throughout the barrel.

Go to: http://www.hollandguns.com then click on [Maintenance], the product is listed near the bottom of the list.

I use BoreTech's CU+2 Copper Remover as it is non-toxic, contains no ammonia and is biodegradable. However, for really stubborn heavy deposits I use JB Bore Paste http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ANING-COMPOUND as liquid solvents are too slow and toxic. With this high pressure handgun, like rifles, you'll know when the barrel is broken-in when stops fouling and cleans up with a few patches.

Last edited by Wrangler John; 02-06-2012 at 7:26 AM..