Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2012, 7:07 AM
coyotebait's Avatar
coyotebait coyotebait is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 1,322
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default 300 Win mag V. 338 Lapua mag

I'm trying to find a comparison between the two, and having a bit of trouble. Obviously, the 338 is a tad bigger, but how do the ballistics compare? Is it a huge difference?
__________________
R.I.P. Chris Kyle. 2/2/13
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2012, 7:11 AM
Shoobee Shoobee is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 533
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

It hurts to shoot a .300 mag.

It really really hurts to shoot a .338 mag.

Trust me, I know.

Note that the .300 has a higher ballistic coefficient, which means it is a more efficient round.

So if you can get the job done with a .300 then that would give you the best results.

The main issue however is energy on target. There is no use in wasting energy that you don't need, particularly when it is going to really really hurt to pull that trigger.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2012, 7:49 AM
mixicus mixicus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 540
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

For a rough idea, take a look at a couple of commercial loadings from Black Hills and put the numbers into a ballistic program like JBM Ballistic. The 190gr HPBT 300 Win will launch at 2950fps. That round will go below Mach 1 around 1300yds. The 300gr HPBT 338Lapua will launch at 2800fps. That round will drop below Mach 1 around 1900yds.

The 338 load will have about 1/3 less wind drift (10MPH full value at 1000yds), about 15% less drop at 1000yds. The 338 will also give you about 600yds more range, about 50% (using the point at which both rounds go below Mach 1, yeah not entirely true just an arbitrary approximation).

Both loads will hit like a mule (i.e. more than a 357 Magnum at the muzzle) at the range they drop below Mach 1. If you are buying ammo and not reloading, the 300Win load above will cost about $2/round. The 338 load runs about $6/round.

As for 'a huge difference', you be the judge. If you need extended range capability or more energy on target at a given range that both cartridges can work at, then YES. But if you are working within the 300's performance envelop, say 600yds, and don't need 3x the energy of a 44Mag at the muzzle at 600yds (the 300 only has about 2x), then NO.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2012, 8:18 AM
coyotebait's Avatar
coyotebait coyotebait is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 1,322
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixicus View Post
For a rough idea, take a look at a couple of commercial loadings from Black Hills and put the numbers into a ballistic program like JBM Ballistic. The 190gr HPBT 300 Win will launch at 2950fps. That round will go below Mach 1 around 1300yds. The 300gr HPBT 338Lapua will launch at 2800fps. That round will drop below Mach 1 around 1900yds.

The 338 load will have about 1/3 less wind drift (10MPH full value at 1000yds), about 15% less drop at 1000yds. The 338 will also give you about 600yds more range, about 50% (using the point at which both rounds go below Mach 1, yeah not entirely true just an arbitrary approximation).

Both loads will hit like a mule (i.e. more than a 357 Magnum at the muzzle) at the range they drop below Mach 1. If you are buying ammo and not reloading, the 300Win load above will cost about $2/round. The 338 load runs about $6/round.

As for 'a huge difference', you be the judge. If you need extended range capability or more energy on target at a given range that both cartridges can work at, then YES. But if you are working within the 300's performance envelop, say 600yds, and don't need 3x the energy of a 44Mag at the muzzle at 600yds (the 300 only has about 2x), then NO.
Thank you. Not so much a matter of "need", I have a 300 win mag, but I don't have a 338 Lapua. So in that context....I need one.


I do reload....
__________________
R.I.P. Chris Kyle. 2/2/13
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2012, 8:53 AM
RugerNo1's Avatar
RugerNo1 RugerNo1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 1,508
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

How about we think of it this way. The .338 Lapua was designed for Extended Long Range (ELR) or well past 1000 yards. That is where the chambering shines and if you do not have a place to shoot that distance regularly then the rifle is sort of going to waste inside 1000 yards. This is my opinion of course, but most .338 Lapua owners that I know of end up rarely shooting their rifles due to cost or lack of an appropriate venue. They essentially become an expensive wall hanger or safe queen.
__________________
Dane

For the Learned Rifleman
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2012, 9:46 AM
CS Sports CS Sports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 283
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
It hurts to shoot a .300 mag.

It really really hurts to shoot a .338 mag.

Trust me, I know.

Note that the .300 has a higher ballistic coefficient, which means it is a more efficient round.

So if you can get the job done with a .300 then that would give you the best results.

The main issue however is energy on target. There is no use in wasting energy that you don't need, particularly when it is going to really really hurt to pull that trigger.
Holy cow.......

Have you ever heard of the 338 Lapua? High BC 338 bullets?

A 300 Win Mag has a higher ballistic coefficient?

Ballistic coefficient = cartridge efficiency? Seriously?

Pretty painfully obvious that you don't know what a ballistic coefficient is......

Just perusing the Berger offerings, the highest BC bullet offered in 30 caliber is the 230gr Match Hybrid at .743 BC. The highest BC bullet offered in 338 is the 300gr Match Hybrid at .818.

The 300 Win Mag will be hard pressed to drive the 230gr bullet at much above 2400 fps, while the 338 Lapua can launch a 300gr bullet at 2900. Start 500 fps faster with a .075 BC advantage, and you have a significant difference in long range performance.

For long range shooting, the 338 Lapua leaves the 300 Win Mag in the dust. A mile is not out of the question with high BC bullets.

The 300 Win Mag just doesn't have the horsepower to drive the heavy, high BC bullets required for really long range pursuits.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM
CEDaytonaRydr's Avatar
CEDaytonaRydr CEDaytonaRydr is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 4,057
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Sports View Post
Holy cow.......

Have you ever heard of the 338 Lapua? High BC 338 bullets?

A 300 Win Mag has a higher ballistic coefficient?

Ballistic coefficient = cartridge efficiency? Seriously?

Pretty painfully obvious that you don't know what a ballistic coefficient is......


There's a better way to disagree with someone than saying that they don't know anything.
__________________
"95 is the route you were on. It was not the speed limit sign!" - Georgia State Policeman

The United States Veterans Administration: Neglecting America's veterans since 1930!!!

ATTENTION VETERANS! Have you been mistreated and/or neglected by your VA Hospital staff? Send complaints to: complaint@jointcommission.org
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
brando's Avatar
brando brando is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Woodside
Posts: 3,658
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Inside of 1000 yards, they are similar, however beyond that the .338 dominates. However, the reason I recommend .300WM often is because it's FAR more economical to shoot than .338LM - brass, bullets, factory ammo, etc. If you don't intend to shoot beyond say 1400y, then .300WM is makes a LOT of sense.
__________________
--Brando

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
bcrich's Avatar
bcrich bcrich is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ontario
Posts: 1,055
iTrader: 68 / 100%
Default

Ok...i have to disagree that the .300 has a better bc aswell! The 338 blows it away! (being nice)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2012, 1:59 PM
bruceflinch's Avatar
bruceflinch bruceflinch is offline
I got my Life Back!!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gun Point, KA
Posts: 39,694
iTrader: 63 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDaytonaRydr View Post


There's a better way to disagree with someone than saying that they don't know anything.
We should be thankful he doesn't post more often.
__________________
Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 PM
ChrisGarrett's Avatar
ChrisGarrett ChrisGarrett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 197
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
It hurts to shoot a .300 mag.

It really really hurts to shoot a .338 mag.

Trust me, I know.

Actually, most of the 338 rifles are tactical rifles and they have brakes. Maybe you shot a hunting rifle without a brake? I've shot a TRG-42 for six years and it's WAY less punishing than my Rem Sendero in 7 Rem Mag. It's closer to a 30'06-.270 with the brake, so not that bad.

Note that the .300 has a higher ballistic coefficient, which means it is a more efficient round.

The only .30 bullet with a higher BC than the .338 250s and the 300s, is the 240gr Sierra Match King, but you have to have your rifle 'throated' to shoot that bullet.

The new Military 300 WM cartridge with 210gr SMK is close, but the 338LM still takes it with terminal ballistics, at distance. Still, you can get the 300 WM to shoot great out to 1300-1500yds with little effort, but if you're not braking the rifle, you'll be sore, no doubt.


So if you can get the job done with a .300 then that would give you the best results.

Well, not exactly, but it's all a matter of what you want to do with the cartridge. I went 338LM and don't regret it.

The main issue however is energy on target. There is no use in wasting energy that you don't need, particularly when it is going to really really hurt to pull that trigger.
Different strokes...

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
sk8804 sk8804 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 721
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

why not settle in the middle for .338 win mag?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM
pontiacpratt's Avatar
pontiacpratt pontiacpratt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: High Desert
Posts: 1,666
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

.45 ACP [/thread]
Oh not that kind of thread... carry on
__________________
A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
-Marko Kloos
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.