Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-22-2011, 3:02 PM
Veteran Member

Default Went paper hunting today!

Went out just to go plinking, and decided I'd sight-in my two scopes best I could. The Simmons .22Mag 3-9X32 on my Marlin XT-22R and the Bushnell 4x32 on the Ruger 10/22.

Shot 5 at a time to get a good idea where they were grouping (or weren't)...and just to shoot more!

The middle was the 10/22 at 50 yards, then I decided to slightly re-sight for 25ish yards anyways. However, at 25 yards shooting while shooting at one of the 1/2" dots, all 10 shots grouped to and made a hole the size of a nickel. This was done with CCI Blazer lead-nose bulk.

The interesting thing though, IMO, are the two bottom corners. When I first went to sight in the XT-22 a while back when I first got the Simmons scope, I was shooting at the middle of a paper plate (a 5" or so area) and the shots were all over. I've always shot the Federal bulk from Wal-Mart, but I figured it was just that I wasn't giving a great amount of effort to hit dead center. A clip of the Federal that I had left was the first shooting on the bottom right dot. I couldn't get any sort of grouping, so I couldn't sight the scope. Switched to the CCI Blazer that I now have. Got those two shots together above the bottom left dot. Adjusted the sight and the next and final three were very close to each other, as you can see. Those smaller dots on the bottom are 1/2", so my little group was less than that.

Moved the target back to 25 yards to re-sight the 10/22, and decided to go for the 1/4" dots with the XT-22. My first shot was just to the right and the 2nd was right through it!

Set up a little shooting gallery afterwards and went to town. All in all, a super fun day and my scopes are finally GTG. Found I'll be sticking with CCI Blazer too!
Old 12-22-2011, 3:31 PM

Good job bringing them around. The Federal bulk is great for can plinking in my opinion, CCI mini mags and target ammo are your next step. I would really like to hear more about the Marlin XT for operation issues and non issues.
Old 12-22-2011, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks; it was my first time ever really sighting in a scope. I usually just use the iron sights on everything. As for my XT-22, I've not had any sort of issue with it. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, but 0 failures or issues of anything related to the firearm itself. The only "issue" I've had was when I put my 7-round clip in after using my 10 rounders for a couple of hours and then wondering what jammed when the non-existent 8th round didn't fire, lol.