Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-14-2011, 8:22 AM

Default PPT OUT OF STATE SELLER/C&R ISSUES

First,If you have two people that want to do a PPT,with the seller a Nevada resident,but the buyer a California resident,is it possible? It seems that the dros screen only allows Ca. ID,Ca. CDL,or military ID as the only ID accepted for the seller.
Second,is a C&R,COE person exempt from the 1 gun every 30 days rule?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

I am not sure on the first part. I know that if the gun is off-roster it is a no go, but for an on-roster firearm I am not sure.
For the second part, yes. A COE and 03 FFL exempt a buyer from the 1 in 30 for handguns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 12-14-2011, 2:02 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As to the first part, PPT is set up to accept only CA ID, as you have noticed. NV resident to CA resident is an interstate transfer.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-14-2011, 3:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPUTYBILL View Post
Second,is a C&R,COE person exempt from the 1 gun every 30 days rule?
Yes, but it must be properly noted within the DROS process. Here is a post from Tenpercentfirearms on the subject and details the process for dealers to ensure the buyer is not kicked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms
After our CGF board meeting the other night, I think I have a simple way for dealers to "fix" the issue. If you are not familiar with the actual DROS screen, this might sound foreign to you, but I will try to make it clear.

When starting a DROS, no matter what type of DROS it is (options include, handgun, long gun, peace officer, curio/relic/olympic pistol/exempt, private transfer [handgun or long gun], loan, pawn/cosign rtn), you are given a pull down menu on the very first DROS tab labeled "Waiting Period Exemptions".

From this pull down menu you have the options of:

30 DAY MULTIPLE PURCHASE EXEMPT
CFD NUMBER
COLLECTOR
NONE
PEACE OFFICER
SPECIAL WEAPONS PERMIT

I think the problem that led to this entire thread is that 01 FFLs running DROS are incorrectly selecting 03 FFL & COE holders as "COLLECTOR". Of course they are coming back rejected because by putting COLLECTOR the FFL is claiming the buyer is ten day wait exempt. The DOJ is simply looking at the handgun data, noting it is not 50 years old, and denying the sale.

What dealers need to do is put 30 DAY MULTIPLE PURCHASE EXEMPT. It is kind of awkward because by putting 30 DAY MULTIPLE PURCHASE EXEMPT the buyer is not actually getting a Waiting Period Exemption as the box indicates, but simply a 30 DAY MULTIPLE PURCHASE EXEMPTion.

If a dealer puts 30 DAY MULTIPLE PURCHASE EXEMPT in the DROS, there is absolutely no way for the CA DOJ to know why that person is actually exempt. They could be an 01 FFL (yes I am exempt from 1 in 30 days too), it could be a peace officer who chooses to also wait their ten days instead of using a letter, or it could be a return.

Now the FFL will need to be certain that they do actually have the documentation to show that the buyer is actually 30 DAY MULTIPLE PURCHASE EXEMPT in an audit, but the DROS will go through.

Again, the CGF would like to remind any dealers or individuals who hear of an FFL getting audited and being dinged for allowing the 30 DAY MULTIPLE PURCHASE EXEMPTion for 03 FFLs with COE, we want to know about it immediately.

Thank you and hopefully this clears up the issue.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 12-14-2011, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
As to the first part, PPT is set up to accept only CA ID, as you have noticed. NV resident to CA resident is an interstate transfer.
I have done it with a military ID no problems at all...
Old 12-14-2011, 6:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec714 View Post
I have done it with a military ID no problems at all...
Yes, and that's legal because Feds say .mil with PCS to that state are citizens of that state, for gun purposes.

But NV id will not fly for PPT.

Can't repeat the entire thing every time the question gets asked -

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki articles on

PPT - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...te_Party_-_PPT

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...rms_Interstate
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-14-2011 at 6:55 PM..