Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 AM

Default Had to Laugh About the "Neutered" Comment

Ironic as I just happened to see Tac TV tonight with Larry Vickers using the G20 to hit a steel target out to 250 meters. Not sure how high you'd have to hold over to lob a 45 that far.

He was shooting some stout loads as the muzzle flip was very noticable from a guy who can normally double tap in a heartbeat.

I understand your concerns about the Glock, just doesn't work for some people and they are ugly stock. Unless you hunt or hike in Grizzly country, do alot of hiking away from the road, carry it with a 20 round mag (Arredondo base plate and spring) with Buffalo Bore +P 220 gr. hard cast bullets. Then it looks and feels like the beautiful reliable tool it is meant to be! I loved carrying mine this last September in Montana and I didn't feel neutered at all. 20 rds of +P 10mm is a very serious package you won't find in the 45 or revolver 10mm platform options.

Another option in the 45 platform is from Nighthawk Custom. They have a 10mm. Probably not on the roster but I've never looked. Beautiful gun though and they are a very serious tool in their own right. They do look like pure sex appeal with a trigger. Serious money also.....
Old 11-22-2011, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

I had a nice kimber for a while that I really enjoyed. Were I to do it again I would get a Glock 21sf so I could shoot 45 and buy a kkm conversion barrel to shoot 10mm when I wanted to.
Old 11-22-2011, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielbasavw View Post
yeah, but the 45 has more stopping power, the 10 would go right through ya... iono sometimes im kinda a purist when it comes to certain things
Stopping power is a made up term. A single pistol caliber round is not going to knock anyone down unless it goes through their brain stem or spinal cord. Rifle rounds really don't knock anyone down and they have 2-3 times the power of a pistol round.
Old 11-22-2011, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Not to mention velocity typically is better for expansion. The 10mm has quite a bit more velocity over the 45.
Old 11-22-2011, 9:33 AM

There's a reason why the feds stopped using the 10mm it went right through the enemy every time, so they moved to the .40. Had a long talk with some old guy last night about all that.
If some pcp dope head decides to come in my home, is feel more then confident that the 45 will stop them better, and I don't have to worry that unlike the 10mm it won't go through the guy and my kids room.

Hopefully this will never happen, but its better to have and not use. Id just like a 10mm for the hell of it and shoot every so often. Gosh you guys turn one topic into another worse then the guys at the vw forums
Old 11-22-2011, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There's a reason why the feds stopped using the 10mm it went right through the enemy every time, so they moved to the .40. Had a long talk with some old guy last night about all that.
If some pcp dope head decides to come in my home, is feel more then confident that the 45 will stop them better, and I don't have to worry that unlike the 10mm it won't go through the guy and my kids room.

Hopefully this will never happen, but its better to have and not use. Id just like a 10mm for the hell of it and shoot every so often. Gosh you guys turn one topic into another worse then the guys at the vw forums
No, the feds moved away from 10mm because smaller agents couldn't handle it.
Old 11-22-2011, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
No, the feds moved away from 10mm because smaller agents couldn't handle it.
This. I love the way my kimber recoiled, kinda snappy and made for very quick follow up shots.
Old 11-22-2011, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
S&W 610. If you find a pre lock model for sale don't tell anyone because it will be gone when go there to buy it. Here is mine. It's been converted to 10 mm magnum.
Some of those glocks are ugly; looking like lego block toy guns... But, your S&W is awesome looking! That is nice! How much to buy one?
Old 11-22-2011, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There's a reason why the feds stopped using the 10mm it went right through the enemy every time, so they moved to the .40.
*scratching head*

I thought when the 10mm round was made, the feds wanted a round that will penetrate cars (Florida shoot-out). But when the "wimpier" FBI agents couldn't handle the recoil of the 10mm, they cut the brass back and arrived at the .40S&W. It wasn't because it was going through the bad guys.
Old 11-22-2011, 2:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Saw in a recent Handgun mag, they had an article about a NightHawk 10mm Longslide.....As long as we're dreaming, that'd be my pick......but you'd probably need $3-$4K and do a SSE.
Old 11-22-2011, 2:26 PM

I'm trying to figure out why the OP first says he wants a 10mm, then argues that the .45 ACP is a better round than the 10mm.

Just buy a Desert Eagle in .50 AE and be done with it - I suspect that's what you really want...

I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
-Milton Friedman

What kind of government do you guys got here? This is worse than California.
-Woody Allen, Sleepers
Old 11-22-2011, 3:06 PM

colt delta elite is a great 10mm firearm. especially if you hate the glock look..
Old 11-22-2011, 6:25 PM

when did i say .45 is better..... they are both *****en rounds, i just said, .45 would be better for home protection, i don't want to shoot my kids through bad guys and walls. each round has their place. and sorry, some old guy told me what i stated about the feds, i suppose you guys make more sence, wanting to shoot through cars. im no expert on guns or ammo, just repeating what i was told. sorry. and like i said before, i didn't want to start a *****ing battle, you guys are worse then the volkswagen guys
Old 11-22-2011, 7:05 PM

LOL - of course we are! The VW guys are all a bunch of old hippies. We're all old bubbas with guns!!

I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
-Milton Friedman

-Woody Allen, Sleepers
Old 11-22-2011, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post
LOL - of course we are! The VW guys are all a bunch of old hippies. We're all old bubbas with guns!!
Im a young bubba with guns

Check out this video on some 10mm ammo if you think over penetration will be an issue. Just like most other applications, use the correct ammo for the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdB8yo085Sw

EDIT: Nobody is battling OP, we are all just giving our collective input =)
Old 11-22-2011, 9:55 PM

I think when you used the word "neutered" when describing a 10mm 1911, that seemed to indicate your view of the 10mm vs .45

Now, if you had not said neutered and just said you thought a 1911 should be .45 out of tradition (I actually feel the same way), the comments might have been different.

-Milton Friedman

-Woody Allen, Sleepers
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM

You guys just took it the wrong way, another thing you guys have in common with vw doods
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I know glock makes them, but I hate hate hate the look of a glock,
Hey, I am a VW addict from the original days. My second car was a new 1964 VW bug. I've owned over forty various models, and practically all of them except for the VW pickups (rear engine of course) and the thing.
I knew every nut and bolt on them.

People hated the looks of them when they first came out too!
But if you think about it, Glocks and VW's have much in common.

VW's were fairly innovative is using an air cooled four cylinder engine.
The bug and van kept the same look and features for a million years and didn't deviate too much. If you learned how to work on one, then you could easily work on any of them, all having relatively the same platform. Some considered them bug ugly, but they were the people's car, and anyone could work on them. Parts were readily available and ton's of aftermarket parts.
They were the workhorse vehicle of many countries. They were relatively inexpensive. They could crawl through mud, snow and places that most regular vehicles could only dream of. And they could run forever.
And ugly, beauty was in the eyes of the beholder.
Just look at any VW magazine and the many variations of exactly the same thing.

Sound familiar.
What firearm resembles this the most?
A Glock! Same design over the years, easy to work on, same platform through many calibers, the comparisons go on and on.
So, surprised you don't like Glocks!

I love them for exactly the same reasons I loved VW's.
One of the best tools ever designed!

A 10mm glock is like the van with the chevy engine in it!
Leaves the others in the dust!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 PM

I have been to known to say that at the front of every SoCal traffic jam is a VW bus...

-Milton Friedman

-Woody Allen, Sleepers
Old 11-23-2011, 2:25 AM

I have a 68 with the most gnarly pump gas 2332 on the street. And have a early 55 oval, building a 3 liter for it. Looking at the two cars side by side, completely different. But I catch your drift. Glocks are still butt ugly untill looking some of glockworx stuff
Old 11-23-2011, 9:05 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Love my Kimber Eclipse. It's my hunting sidearm. It's pretty, but I don't mind getting it dirty. I'll get it refinished when needed. Very accurate. My wife is 5'2 and 120 lbs. and she has no problems punching holes with it at the range.
Old 11-23-2011, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyredark View Post
Some of those glocks are ugly; looking like lego block toy guns... But, your S&W is awesome looking! That is nice! How much to buy one?
Nation wide the pre lock no dash 610's are ging for around 1k. Here in California I would probably ask $1300 for it and get it.

WTS - S&W 27-2 3.5 Barrel with Box and Presentation Case

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1021514