Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-24-2011, 8:01 PM

+1 Ill help. 7 days more, a nap and then a quick sandwich
Old 08-25-2011, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbur View Post
Are you up from your nap early?
Yeah, I can only nap for so long.
I figured it's time to wake up, grab some popcorn, and wait for the show to start.
"Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction....."

"The Character of Man," Mark Twain's Autobiography
Old 08-30-2011, 9:07 AM

Got my sandwich ready. I know I wont see them today, but somebody is getting their mitts on some good cause statements. Probably in USPS hands at the very least. I just can't contain my excitement.

-Brandon
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

We are less than two weeks.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-30-2011, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
Good thing...

I've had just about all the sandwiches and naps that I can stand....
Old 08-30-2011, 2:02 PM

Quote:

-Gene
Only on CGN is that an incredibly loaded statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
Good thing...

I've had just about all the sandwiches and naps that I can stand....
You and me both!

-Brandon
Old 08-30-2011, 4:52 PM

So did the Sheriff ship the (improperly redacted) forms to NY and post them book rate to ensure that Calguns got them as late as possible? Or has an appeal been filed looking to further delay delivery?
Old 08-30-2011, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

The Sheriff couldn't just acknowledge the loss and deliver the documents a week later... He would have looked like a liar with the complaints about the work involved...
Old 08-30-2011, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

So on the 1st we will start getting the first batch of good cause statements from Ventura County?

Or can we expect more delays like always?
Old 08-30-2011, 9:07 PM

obvious anticipation

thank you all that have contributed time and money to the CGF process. I am just thankful they have chosen my county early
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKV View Post
So did the Sheriff ship the (improperly redacted) forms to NY and post them book rate to ensure that Calguns got them as late as possible? Or has an appeal been filed looking to further delay delivery?
No appeal has been filed. Tomorrow marks the final day of the 60 days that were given, the original 45 plus 15 that CGF graciously agreed to. I suppose an appeal might be permissible tomorrow, but considering the circumstances would be incredibly bad form. File that under "not at all likely."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
So on the 1st we will start getting the first batch of good cause statements from Ventura County?

Or can we expect more delays like always?
I believe sunshine initiative volunteers will be going through everything, scanning, uploading and converting to PDF's etc. once they have the paperwork in hand. "Two weeks" can mean a lot of things here, however I have a feeling Gene's above comment was meant to be taken literally.

-Brandon

Last edited by Connor P Price; 08-31-2011 at 12:05 AM..
Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor P Price View Post
"Two weeks" can mean a lot of things here, however I have a feeling Gene's above comment was meant to be taken literally.
You never really know with Gene...

The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
You never really know with Gene...

I'm of the mind that you never really know with anyone. I could have sworn I saw an optimistic upbeat reaction to a brief the other day by none other than... you! The times they are a changin. lol, just playin with ya.

-Brandon
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 AM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Some bits arrived somewhere

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor P Price View Post
I'm of the mind that you never really know with anyone. I could have sworn I saw an optimistic upbeat reaction to a brief the other day by none other than... you! The times they are a changin. lol, just playin with ya.
LOL! Enjoy it while it lasts....

Gura's briefs are always a pleasure to read, but that one was particularly good, especially the opening sentence. Just pure awesomeness.

I think Gura's at his best when the opposition is at its most antagonistic...
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...
Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Some bits arrived somewhere

-Gene
Bits or Bytes?

-Brandon
Old 08-31-2011, 1:04 AM
Calguns Addict

This is the best part:

Quote:
Petitioner is the prevailing party and is entitled to its statutory costs of suit pursuant to a cost bill.
Petitioner is entitled by statute to its reasonable attorneys fees. These will be determined by noticed motion.
If we start hitting these counties in the pocket book, it will deter other counties from fighting it.
Quote:
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 08-31-2011, 1:10 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Long Beach, Strong Beach, Tha LBC, Wrong Beach, Wass Yo Name Foo?

love it!

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 08-31-2011, 1:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
If we start hitting these counties in the pocket book, it will deter other counties from fighting it.
Depends on the counties in question, but generally not. The cost of paying for litigation, even when the cost is paid to the opposition, is trivial compared with the revenue available to the counties.

The only counties that will be deterred by litigation costs are those that are very poor.

Old 08-31-2011, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

@@@@Originally Posted by hoffmang Some bits arrived somewhere -Gene...........awesome! Any goodies you want to share with us right now?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
@@@@Originally Posted by hoffmang Some bits arrived somewhere -Gene...........awesome! Any goodies you want to share with us right now?
As soon as the team's finished redacting we'll post at CGF and announce here.

Expect 2 different files: 1) approved GC's under current Sheriff Dean, and 2) approved GC's under former Sheriff Bob Brooks.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Just curious, why is the CGF doing the redacting? I thought that was the Sheriff's responsibility and one of their primary arguments against releasing the data (would need to work OT, etc).

Regardless, thanks for the effort from the CGF!

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 08-31-2011, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Just curious, why is the CGF doing the redacting? I thought that was the Sheriff's responsibility and one of their primary arguments against releasing the data (would need to work OT, etc).

Just a guess, but there were some items that could prove useful in future litigation, but are not particularly needed by applicants (name of spouse...).

Ryan
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
Old 08-31-2011, 1:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post

We don't "out" our people. The info from the VCSO has info - beyond the sensitive info they redacted - that we simply do not wish to distribute.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-31-2011, 1:41 PM
Calguns Addict

The sheriffs that want to keep us in the dark and continue using LTC issuance as a campaign financing tool are always using the excuse that completing public records requests for LTC applications will expose personal information.

I'm pretty sure that CGF does not like to expose anyone's information and would prefer that LTC applications be made private as soon as LTCs are granted in a shall issue manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 08-31-2011, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
Depends on the counties in question, but generally not. The cost of paying for litigation, even when the cost is paid to the opposition, is trivial compared with the revenue available to the counties.

The only counties that will be deterred by litigation costs are those that are very poor.
I think every county is hurting now. Now that the state has sucked up all the local court fines and various fees, county budgets are very tight across the board.
Quote:
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 08-31-2011, 3:25 PM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post

Expect 2 different files: 1) approved GC's under current Sheriff Dean, and 2) approved GC's under former Sheriff Bob Brooks.

-Brandon
VVVVVVVVEERRRYNICE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
"A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
Ron Paul
Old 08-31-2011, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
I think every county is hurting now. Now that the state has sucked up all the local court fines and various fees, county budgets are very tight across the board.

I don't think you understand the sheer amount of money these counties are pulling in.

Even when people are financially hurting, they'll still spend a few dollars here and a few dollars there, even when they don't strictly need to.

You would agree that a million dollars is an awful lot to pay for litigation costs in a lawsuit, right? To put that in perspective, San Francisco's bill for the gun ban suit they lost was half that.

If an even reasonably populous county (e.g., Ventura, which has a population of around 800,000) loses a million dollar lawsuit, in comparison to their revenue that would be the equivalent of someone who is making $100,000 per year (after taxes) losing just $300.

It really is a pittance from their perspective, and it's money that they didn't even earn. No, the only counties that are going to care about the cost of litigation are the poor, sparsely populated counties. But those are the ones that are generally on the shall-issue bandwagon anyway, so they're not on the radar.

You can't look at the finances of a county from the point of view of an individual. The amounts of money involved seem very high to us, but in relative terms the amounts of money involved in lawsuits are very, very low.

Old 08-31-2011, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

OK, so hit them with something that's appropriately uncomfortable for them. In fact, why haven't we done so already? Isn't that the point of legal action in the first place, to make them not want to do it again?
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 08-31-2011, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
OK, so hit them with something that's appropriately uncomfortable for them. In fact, why haven't we done so already? Isn't that the point of legal action in the first place, to make them not want to do it again?
Because we don't get to decide how much the judgment is for. The judge does. And he generally sets it based on his own views of what a "large" amount is -- and guess what that is normally based on? Yep: personal experience.

Which is to say, the judges generally make the very same mistakes that others here, who think that municipalities and counties are going to even care about the costs of litigation, do: they think about the money in terms of absolute amounts and compare that with what to them is large, not in terms of amounts that would be large relative to the income and assets of the target of the suit.

Last edited by kcbrown; 08-31-2011 at 5:28 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 7:21 PM

OK - let me ask a theoretical here.

Despite CGF's willingness to "play nice" County after County keeps up what my old Sr. DI would call "silly-*** games".

The Counties don't care -even if they are finally forced to pay damages or even attorneys fees (hasn't happened yet and won't in the foreseeable future so it's not a factor) they will simply tap their insurance - correct?

Why not make defendants out of the insurance companies that indemnify government entities that a reasonable person knows, or should know, are violating the rights of their citizens? That would, I would think, provide the proper frame of mind - in a hurry.
Old 08-31-2011, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Question

Counsel, et al:

This ? might have been asked before, but...

Can GC statements under one Sheriff be used for 14A EP purposes while another Sheriff is in Office?

Erik.
Old 08-31-2011, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Counsel, et al:

Can GC statements under one Sheriff be used for 14A EP purposes while another Sheriff is in Office?

Erik.
I've been curious about that as well. I'm guessing no, but the only way to be sure would be to litigate.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

-Brandon
Old 08-31-2011, 7:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Counsel, et al:

Erik.
I would not at all be inclined to litigate a 14A EP case that turns on the previous sheriff's application of discretion.

-Brandon

ETA: In the instant matter of Ventura, I don't expect you'll find a lack of opportunity to get your application approved...

Last edited by wildhawker; 08-31-2011 at 7:59 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I would not at all be inclined to litigate a 14A EP case that turns on the previous sheriff's application of discretion.

-Brandon

I'm inclined to bet that you won't be faced with that issue.........

Last edited by HowardW56; 08-31-2011 at 8:06 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 8:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As team CGF travels north from Ventura county, can you stop off @ SLOSD & distribute an attitude adjustment? This whole Ventura thing is making me start to drool.....

Quote:

-Brandon

ETA: In the instant matter of Ventura, I don't expect you'll find a lack of opportunity to get your application approved...
Old 08-31-2011, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
As team CGF travels north from Ventura county, can you stop off @ SLOSD & distribute an attitude adjustment? This whole Ventura thing is making me start to drool.....

I'm hoping that they take a while before they head back north...

Los Angeles County is deserving of some attention.....

Last edited by HowardW56; 08-31-2011 at 8:38 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

-Brandon
Thanx. Waiting...impatiently to file for my CCW.
Old 08-31-2011, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Thanx. Waiting...impatiently to file for my CCW.

It won't be long now......
Old 08-31-2011, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Default *giggles*