Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 PM

Default Semi-auto in 9mm and 38/357

I've been using search and doing a lot of reading of past threads on this subject. Because of <insert various reasons here> I'm interested in possibly getting a semi-auto carbine in either 9mm or 38/357.

From what I've been reading, it seems that 38/357 only comes in lever-action varieties. I assume that's due to the different cartridge lengths and it not working in a semi-auto configuration. If that true, then I'll just have to be satisfied with my Rossi 92srs (sure wish it was stainless in stead of blue).

As to 9mm, it seems that most of the options are various AR configurations (which I don't really want). There's the Beretta cx4 (which I don't particularly like and may not be available in CA) and the Ruger pc9 (which I do like, but isn't made any more). Are there any other quality, reliable options in a 9mm semi-auto?

I'm thinking my best option may simply be patience while I wait for a good deal on a used Ruger pc9. But I wanted to see if others had any different thoughts.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Id rather be reloading
CGN Contributor

Hi point makes a decent carbine... Sure it looks fugly but it works. Try doing a google search on it. They have a CA version with a bullet button. Turner outdoors has them on sale now and then for around 300$ I plan to pick one up here soon for a range toy.

Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Like Yoda said: "Buy. Or buy not. There is no whine."

;)

-- Michael
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

A Marlin Camp 9 is what you want---they don't make them anymore, but can be found in the for sale threads often---good shooters, no real kick---fun gun!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 PM

I don't really like the Hi Point (for the same reasons I don't want an AR configuration). The Camp 9 looks interesting, but it's been out of production even longer than the Ruger (harder to find?) and the few comparisons I found tended to favor the Ruger over the Marlin.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

What is the planned use for this firearm?

Are you looking for a non-evil looking HD long gun?
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 AM

Kel-tec sub 2000 in 9mm? Can use your choice of sig. Glock. Beretta. Or s&w mags
Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Id rather be reloading
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc56 View Post
I don't really like the Hi Point (for the same reasons I don't want an AR configuration). The Camp 9 looks interesting, but it's been out of production even longer than the Ruger (harder to find?) and the few comparisons I found tended to favor the Ruger over the Marlin.
I see what you mean... The Ruger is a featureless carbine. It looks like a 10/22.

Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
Like Yoda said: "Buy. Or buy not. There is no whine."

;)

-- Michael
Old 08-17-2011, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
What is the planned use for this firearm?

Are you looking for a non-evil looking HD long gun?
It's primary use would be for simple range fun at less than 100 yds. I don't need a big *BANG* to have fun, and 9mm is a lot cheaper to burn through than any typical rifle ammo.

Another factor is that I want to keep the types of ammo I deal with low, so I'd rather expand my collection in calibers I already stock. Also, I like the idea of gun pairs, that is a handgun and rifle that both use the same ammo (Rossi + Security Six, PX4 + ?????).

Finally, living in CA it's all about perception. Consider an AR-15 and a Ruger Mini-14. Which one is "evil" and which is "normal"? So, yes, I'm looking for a "non-evil" platform. I don't have a problem with a simple, clean (featureless?) firearm.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

PC9, Kel-tec and my personal favorite the UZI.
Kevin
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM

I got to try out a Marlin camp 9 once. It's a fun little 9mm carbine. The Ruger PC is nice too (I tried that out as a rental at a range once, although it was the 40). I'd say the ruger is balanced better than the Marlin. The marlin is a bit more heavy since it's is all wood stock vs the ruger's plastic stock.

However, my 2 cents, if you're looking for something really fun to take to the range, and the cost of ammo isn't your main consideration, I'd personally get an M1 Carbine.

It's the best balanced out of all of the pistol caliber carbines I've ever shot. It's very light weight and is just plain old fun to take to the range.

It's in the same price range (for a shooter) as anything else you'd be looking at.

Even on the ammo, if you look for sales, it's not horribly that much more expensive to run.

Now, if you are talking about taking which ever carbine you pick to the range all the time and you are planning on running 1000's of rounds, then I'd go with a 9mm choice.

However, if you are looking for something fun to take here or there. I'd go with the M1 carbine.

Just my personal opinion, based on how all of the 9mm carbines felt and shot when I got to try them out compared to the M1 carbine.

Now, if you want something to consider and you don't mind going to a rifle round, I would also suggest looking into the kel tec SU 16CA.

It is basically the modern equivalent to the M1 Carbine, but it is chambered for 223. It has the same feel, similar weight and handles the same. You'd get a little more versatility out of it as it has a little more range in terms of practical usage compared to the Carbine. It also comes with rails if you wanted to mount some sort of optics. It's also in the same price range as anything you'd be looking at. Anyway, it's just another idea. (And 223 is cheaper than 30 carbine).

Last edited by Iknownot; 08-17-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc56 View Post
It's primary use would be for simple range fun at less than 100 yds. I don't need a big *BANG* to have fun, and 9mm is a lot cheaper to burn through than any typical rifle ammo.

Another factor is that I want to keep the types of ammo I deal with low, so I'd rather expand my collection in calibers I already stock. Also, I like the idea of gun pairs, that is a handgun and rifle that both use the same ammo (Rossi + Security Six, PX4 + ?????).

Finally, living in CA it's all about perception. Consider an AR-15 and a Ruger Mini-14. Which one is "evil" and which is "normal"? So, yes, I'm looking for a "non-evil" platform. I don't have a problem with a simple, clean (featureless?) firearm.
100 yards or less, cheap ammo, no "big bang" required, sounds like you should be looking at .22lrs. Really, go find yourself a <$200 .22lr rifle, buy $50 worth of ammo and let me know if you can actually shoot all the ammo in three separate trips to a range.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

another option: HK clone
MKE AT-94P, add 922r parts, a bullet button or a batwing, and a buttstock
or one of the other US made clones
Old 08-17-2011, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

There is a camp-9 on the classifieds

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=467508
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 08-17-2011, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
100 yards or less, cheap ammo, no "big bang" required, sounds like you should be looking at .22lrs.
It does kind of sound like it, huh? But I already have two Ruger 10/22s as well as a couple bolt action .22s. I think I'm good on that front.

Assuming 38/357 doesn't come in a semi-auto configuration (see my comment in the base-note) I'm really pretty much limited to something in 9mm. Don't want .223 or .30 or anything else that would be a new caliber to me.