Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 PM

crazy! keep me informed is santa cruz, 95062 in montery county? can i apply or help in any way? i spend most of my time in HI but i was raised in santa cruz and still have my drivers license info with the SC address. im am there quite often. let me know if i can help
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 PM

i was reading one of the statments that said he carried around $45,000 on him while working. do you know if there is a minimum cash carry as to how much money on you would qualify you to be able to carry? or is there not enough info on that? its more just turning in applications and seeing if its accepted or not? i work occationally for my parents when i am back in cali and run a truck rout. all transactions are usually cash, but nothing close to the amount stated above...
Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Santa Cruz has its own county
From what I hear its no easier to get a CCW there than it is for us to the south of you folks.
But by all means, join the party. I don't think the "Time To Apply" call has gone out for SC (it hasn't for Monterey either), but that doesn't mean you can't apply anyway. Just don't expect to get a permit.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM

gotcha so the DOJ Standard Application Form: is what to fill out and send off?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbangui View Post
gotcha so the DOJ Standard Application Form: is what to fill out and send off?
First, if you haven't already done so, check out the CCW Sunshine Initiative site, there's lots of good resources there, including the Flow Chart and CCW Application Guide, which you should read through.

The pages for SC County are here, and there you will find the good cause statements as well as local policy info & forms.

You'll want to contact the SCSO and see what their application procedure is. Definitely grab the standard DoJ form and read through it so you know what to expect; filling it out isn't a bad idea. But it is doubtful that SCSO will just have you send it in; you'll probably have to arrange an appointment to come in and submit it in person, get LiveScanned, have an interview, etc.

Oh and if you are at all able, please Support the Initiative! CGF is going to need to "encourage" many counties to reform their CCW policies to comply with state and federal law, and doing so takes money...
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
First, if you haven't already done so, check out the CCW Sunshine Initiative site, there's lots of good resources there, including the Flow Chart and CCW Application Guide, which you should read through.

The pages for SC County are here, and there you will find the good cause statements as well as local policy info & forms.

You'll want to contact the SCSO and see what their application procedure is. Definitely grab the standard DoJ form and read through it so you know what to expect; filling it out isn't a bad idea. But it is doubtful that SCSO will just have you send it in; you'll probably have to arrange an appointment to come in and submit it in person, get LiveScanned, have an interview, etc.

Oh and if you are at all able, please Support the Initiative! CGF is going to need to "encourage" many counties to reform their CCW policies to comply with state and federal law, and doing so takes money...
cool! thanks for all the info
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM

hi everyone new to calguns. living in monterey county i have been resigned to never getting a ccw. this thread gives me hope. has there been any movement by the sherriff's office yet?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Welcome to CalGuns, hddon!
No movement from MCSO yet.
But there are recent developments that will be announced soon.
Expect things to pick up a bit in the near future
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 AM

that is good news. i am interested in reviewing the information you offered goober so please forward to me . thank you
Old 06-24-2011, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Digital copy of letter sent to Sheriff Miller. Those of you that agreed to sign on, thank you. We will need to coordinate to get a hardcopy with physical signatures so that we can mail it in the next week or so. Easiest way may be a meetup at Markley's or somewhere, at least that way we can get a bunch done at once.
Old 06-24-2011, 5:48 PM

I would be happy to meet at Markley's to sign the letter. I am in Watsonville every week day for work.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 PM

I can also meet at Markley's. Im in Monterey but I am always looking for an excuse to make it out there.
Old 07-13-2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Digital copy of letter sent to Sheriff Miller. Those of you that agreed to sign on, thank you. We will need to coordinate to get a hardcopy with physical signatures so that we can mail it in the next week or so. Easiest way may be a meetup at Markley's or somewhere, at least that way we can get a bunch done at once.
Any word from Miller?
Old 07-13-2011, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

meetup at markleys, sounds like a range day to me.
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 07-13-2011, 3:49 PM

Any particular day or time? Or do they have the petition on file?
Old 07-13-2011, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

No word from Miller or MCSO yet, folks. The two weeks he asked for have elapsed. I'm swamped w/ work right now but expect action soon on our parts. I'll keep you posted.
We will still probably need to get a hardcopy with sigs, but its not vital at this point.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Default CCW application

Hi Guys,

just found this thread have not been on Calguns for a while. I live in Monterey and would be happy to add my signature to the list. Please let me know the day and time.
Old 08-08-2011, 3:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All,

I need any members or friends of members of Laguna Seca Shooting Sports Association to confirm that Sheriff Scott Miller will be attending the monthly meeting this coming Wednesday, Aug. 12 at 7pm. We also need to confirm that the meeting will be held per the following, and that guests and "future members" can attend as well (per their instructions here):

Quote:
Laguna Seca Shooting Sports Association holds a meeting the second Wednesday of each month at Marina Village Restaurant in Marina, CA at 7 pm.

Marina Village Restaurant
215 Reservation Rd Ste M
Marina CA
93933-3059
831-384-4711
Once we have this confirmed, I will update this post with the fire mission.

Think Sunnyvale.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-08-2011, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

bumpy
Old 08-09-2011, 3:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

All,

Here's where we are on this drill:

* It's been confirmed that the sheriff will be speaking at/engaging with residents at the below venue, but it sounds like there will be limited room due to high demand. We'll make sure that CGF/LSSSA members are informed on the issues and will try to have at least 1 CGF local leader in attendance.

* CGF just sent the Sheriff a letter requesting that he immediately adopt a lawful policy and begin accepting applications. We also sent a copy of our Model Policy and noted that we stand ready and willing to assist the Department in publishing an appropriate policy that respects state law and the constitutional rights of Monterey residents.

Monterey County residents: *NOW* would be a great time to mail/email/fax/deliver a copy of our model policy with a request that Sheriff Miller adopt it and begin accepting applications. You might also want to point out our litigation of Rossow v. Merced and ask him to make sure his new policy fully comports with state law.

Monterey County Sheriff Scott Miller
County of Monterey
1414 Natividad Road
Salinas, California 93906
(831) 755-3700
(831) 755-3828 FAX

Quote:
Sheriff Scott Miller will be attending the monthly LSSSA meeting this coming Wednesday, Aug. 10 at 7pm.

Quote:
Laguna Seca Shooting Sports Association holds a meeting the second Wednesday of each month at Marina Village Restaurant in Marina, CA at 7 pm.

Marina Village Restaurant
215 Reservation Rd Ste M
Marina CA
93933-3059
831-384-4711
-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Monterey is now a "Shall Issue" county, folks. Right on.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Depends on how one defines "Shall Issue"... But yes it appears things are looking up... More to come...
Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Where did you hear that? Where can I confirm?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

"Personal Protection" now qualifies as good cause. You won't need to provide more than that on your application.

Sheriff Miller said yesterday that his new policy should appear on the M.C.S.O. website today. I checked earlier but didn't see it up yet.

Psych evaluation + skills test required.

For more info, see the new web page (when it hits) or contact Commander Lisa Nash (831.755.3761 or nashla@co.monterey.ca.us).
Old 08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
"Personal Protection" now qualifies as good cause. You won't need to provide more than that on your application.

Sheriff Miller said yesterday that his new policy should appear on the M.C.S.O. website today. I checked earlier but didn't see it up yet.

Psych evaluation + skills test required.

For more info, see the new web page (when it hits) or contact Commander Lisa Nash (831.755.3761 or nashla@co.monterey.ca.us).
Its not up yet.
Here is what Miller said last night:

The new MCSO Carry License policy will be posted on their website by Friday or Monday at the latest.
As xrMike said, there is no longer any need for good cause statements involving carrying large sums of cash, or threats on your life, or anything like that; all one needs to put is "personal protection" and their good cause will be accepted.
However, "good moral character" is going to be harder to get than just passing a LiveScan and not being a prohibited person (which is all that would be required under a true "shall issue" policy).
In addition to the LiveScan ($135) check, there will be a background and psych evaluation. This will involve some or all of the following:
Personal history questionnaire
Home visit
Neighbor interviews
Employer/co-worker interviews
Psychological screening ($150)

Miller said that due to the tight budget on processing the applications, the background check will not be intense or intrusive; they simply don't have the funding to get very in depth.

If you make it through all the above then you will have to pay for the license ($80-100, I forget) and training (such as the ~$50 Markley's course; other options may be available).

They are supposed to start processing folks on the "waiting list" first, and then new apps. Commander Lisa Nash of the Professional Standards Division is the contact as indicated in xrMike's post.
Once things get underway and the kinks are out, Sheriff Miller estimated the entire process should take an applicant about a month to get through.

Last edited by goober; 08-11-2011 at 1:42 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 1:01 PM

Good to see that they're being reasonable with good cause. Next they need to get rid of their unconstitutional requirements for proof of good moral character. What business is it of somebody's neighbor or coworkers to know they're getting a carry license?

-Brandon
Old 08-11-2011, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor P Price View Post
Good to see that they're being reasonable with good cause. Next they need to get rid of their unconstitutional requirements for proof of good moral character. What business is it of somebody's neighbor or coworkers to know they're getting a carry license?
Agreed. Sheriff is being overly cautious b/c he's scared of giving out licenses to just anyone... It apparently isn't enough just to not be a prohibited person, you have to jump through extra hoops proving you're worthy.
I too think it is unreasonable to involve anyone but the applicant and his/her personal history/record in the evaluation of GMC.
Old 08-11-2011, 1:19 PM

The reality is however, politically, Monterey County’s issuance of CCW’s on a per capital basis is only better then two other counties in the State. Those are San Francisco, and Santa Clara.

So, to have a policy as open as this goes a LONG WAY!!!!!!!!!!! from where Monterey currently sits.

Don’t mess it up folks.
Old 08-11-2011, 1:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They are going to get really tired really fast of doing all of those checks in the field.

Great job team CGF.

Old 08-11-2011, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
However, "good moral character" is going to be harder to get than just passing a LiveScan and not being a prohibited person (which is all that would be required under a true "shall issue" policy.
In addition to the LiveScan ($135) check, there will be a background and psyche evaluation. This will involve some or all of the following:
Personal history questionnaire
Home visit
Neighbor interviews
Employer/co-worker interviews

Psychological screening ($150)
This is like taking one bad policy, and replacing it with another bad policy. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss... Taking one piece of trash, and replacing it with another piece of trash.

Sorry, this is the way I look at it.

Erik.
Old 08-11-2011, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

It's a step in the right direction but the Sheriff needs to have a healthier fear of violating the constitution then of some bad press concerning someone's unlawful actions which cannot be controlled and for which the SO has NO liability.

CGF will correct the former in time. If the SO / county thinks the budget is tight why risk a million dollar + bill from a federal civil rights lawsuit?
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/

Last edited by Liberty1; 08-11-2011 at 3:33 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
It's a step in the right direction but there Sheriff needs have a healthier fear of violating the constitution then of some bad press concerning someone's unlawful actions which cannot be controlled and for which the SO has NO liability.

CGF will correct the former in time. If the SO / county thinks the budget is tight why risk a million dollar + bill from a federal civil rights lawsuit?
This.

Old 08-11-2011, 4:22 PM

Get a few permits issued and out there -- then correct the problem! Seems like it would be easier.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 08-12-2011, 6:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I expect Nash's phone will be blowing up today huh
Old 08-12-2011, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I too think it is unreasonable to involve anyone but the applicant and his/her personal history/record in the evaluation of GMC.
I understand your position, but you can't deny that talking to somebody's friends/neighbors/spouse is a pretty good way to get a feel for their "good moral character". The lack of a police record alone is insufficient grounds for guaranteed CCW, in my opinion. I say that because in the course of my life I've known more than a few people who had no record, but it was only a matter of time, due to their drug use, mental instability, or violent temper. I expect some of you will pile on me for having this opinion, but that's OK. It's based on my life experience.

I DON'T think they should be allowed to talk to your employer or co-workers. There's too much risk there, and could affect your livelihood! And if they talk to your neighbors, they should do it in a way that doesn't reveal the end purpose, like: "Hey, were doing a background check on your neighbor, Mike. He's applying for a permit with the county. No, I can't say what kind of permit. We just want to know if he's a decent guy and if he's ever caused any problems in the neighborhood, or with you personally. That's all. He's not under investigation for anything, he's committed no crimes, he's just applying for a permit, that's all."

Again, I have good relationships with my neighbors, so I'm not worried about what they'll say. For those of you with crack-head neighbors who would throw you under the bus, I do understand your concern about this issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
The reality is however, politically, Monterey County’s issuance of CCW’s on a per capital basis is only better then two other counties in the State. Those are San Francisco, and Santa Clara.

So, to have a policy as open as this goes a LONG WAY!!!!!!!!!!! from where Monterey currently sits.

Don’t mess it up folks.
Totally agree with you here. Miller is not just taking one small step here, but a giant leap in the right direction. Let him go there and get comfortable with it. Wait for awhile. Nudge him further along with the CGF "big stick" only if it's determined a year from now that it's necessary. I think he's acting in good faith. He did say the BG investigation "didn't have to be perfect".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
This is like taking one bad policy, and replacing it with another bad policy. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss... Taking one piece of trash, and replacing it with another piece of trash. Sorry, this is the way I look at it.
I was at the 1st meeting (pre-election), but not the one on Wednesday night. I talked to a couple of people who were though. My gut feeling is that Miller is a straight-up guy who's not playing games and wants to do this in a way that miminally protects his office and department. Yeah, we all know his dept. is not CCW-liable per CA law, but tell that to a Sheriff whose department is facing multiple lawsuits right now. He's already given up one of the previous requirements he had (a $1 million personal liability coverage), so the man CAN be nudged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
Get a few permits issued and out there -- then correct the problem! Seems like it would be easier.
Yes! That is the right path at this time.

ETA: Almost forgot, I have no knowledge about what role CGF or anybody related to calguns had (if anything) in helping shape Miller's current policy, but if you guys did play a part, right on!

Last edited by xrMike; 08-12-2011 at 4:10 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

xrMike,

The vast majority of states have some form of objective shall issue wherein there is no records check beyond determining the applicant is not prohibited by law (and many have unlicensed OC). Works fine for them. 4 states now have unlicensed constitutional carry (no training mandate or background check to carry). Works fine for them. Vermont has had it court protected for over one hundred years.

I've known more Californians who carry CC illegally then I have known with licenses (in my pre-LE field of work). No issues with any of them going off half cocked because their carrying wasn't blessed by the all knowing government agent.

There is no statistical evidence to show that government 'licensing' positively effects safety. What it does do is deter carry and tax the exercise of a fundamental Right and therefore makes us less safe as a society (where fewer carry criminals are emboldened).
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/

Last edited by Liberty1; 08-12-2011 at 9:22 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
xrMike,

The vast majority of states have some form of objective shall issue wherein there is no records check beyond determining the applicant is not prohibited by law. Works fine for them. 4 states now have unlicensed constitutional carry (no training mandate or background check to carry). Works fine for them. Vermont has had it court protected for over one hundred years.

I've known more Californians who carry CC illegally then I have known with licenses (in my pre-LE field of work). No issues with any of them going off half cocked because their carrying wasn't blessed by the all knowing government agent.

There is no statistical evidence to show that government 'licensing' positively effects safety. What it does do is deter carry and tax the exercise of a fundamental Right and therefore makes us less safe as a society (where fewer carry criminals are emboldened).
^this, again.
Old 08-14-2011, 6:04 PM

They are not afraid of a big lawsuit for GMC grounds... CGF is still "playing nice" on that one (e.g Sac SO). I'll take it on faith that there are good strategic reasons why.
Old 08-15-2011, 8:48 AM

Is this up on their site yet? I looked but I could not find it.
Old 08-15-2011, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrcasey View Post
Is this up on their site yet? I looked but I could not find it.
http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/sheriff...nformation.htm