Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Default So I kinda just realized...There are a ton of perks!

I was just browsing some candy I currently cant get my hands on, and seen that they (the retailers) will ship "the good stuff" if you are active duty military! I'm currently on DEP for Marines, so very soon I will be able to enjoy things like this.

"Automatic Knives are available to Law Enforcement and active duty Military personnel only. Submission of valid ID required for purchase. Free $6.10 Shipping!"

I was wondering what other perks there are (merchandise wise) that being in the military has?

I know we get access to tons of goodies that most people cant. Anyone care to list all the big ones? Do we get to keep it after we leave?
Old 07-15-2011, 3:50 PM

nice but im always wary of giving anyone a copy of my military id since it includes almost all the info needed to steal your identity
Old 07-15-2011, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

One slight problem:

Photocopying military, CAC IDs a violation of federal law

http://www.army.mil/article/28452/ph...f-federal-law/

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-15-2011, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
One slight problem:

That and being Military doesnt exempt you from state laws.
Old 07-15-2011, 6:24 PM

Move to Oregon. Almost all knives are legal there. That is why Benchmade and a bunch of other companies started and are headquartered there.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
One slight problem:

Thank you for posting this. SO many companies ask for a copy of my ID and then become indignant when I refuse. They can have my DL but not my .mil ID.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTyRAiD View Post
I know we get access to tons of goodies that most people cant. Anyone care to list all the big ones? Do we get to keep it after we leave?
No, you don't. Anyone in California can order one of those knives, It is just illegal to carry.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:43 PM

You can get it in manual if you want, it's the bedlam 860.

Last edited by LouDog; 07-16-2011 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-16-2011, 1:44 PM

So no one knows of any other merchandise perks?

I remember a while back I saw one website that gave a steep discount on firearms if you were active duty. I also know some places will only sell you body armor if you are AD.

Anything else?
Old 07-16-2011, 3:37 PM

Like what they said, being in the military does not exempt you from state laws. You can't carry them here in California.

There's a lot of perks being in the military, you'll find it out once you become a Marine.
Old 07-16-2011, 9:36 PM

Alot of the perks are like auto knives are restricted to onpost privileges. When I was stationed in here in CA, You didnt have to have bullet buttons or any of that other junk on your weapons because as long as you were on post you were governed by federal firearm laws.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 07-17-2011, 8:50 PM

you can get a pretty good deal on a Glock...
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM

Let's see, there is the Oakley discount at usstandardissue.com . I think the San Diego Zoo and Sea World are free to get in with ID. Movie theaters will give you a buck off ticket prices. But you did not sign up just for the perks right? ;-)
Old 07-18-2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laabstract View Post
Alot of the perks are like auto knives are restricted to onpost privileges. When I was stationed in here in CA, You didnt have to have bullet buttons or any of that other junk on your weapons because as long as you were on post you were governed by federal firearm laws.
You must be from the old breed as all of this is now FUD.
Old 07-19-2011, 5:04 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

^^Tru that. At the on-base range I use, all EBR's have to be California compliant, even though it is a federal installation. Course, nobody enforces it, but you never know who you are shooting next too.

- Alejandro Gillick
Old 08-01-2011, 4:48 PM

you just have to ask around. every where you go, just ask if there are any military discounts available. hell, some places that dont give the discount will still give you discount out of respect. your cell phone provider should give you a monthly discount on your bill. i have verizon, which i believe is 10-15% off a month i think? i dont use it cause my civilian job gives me 22% off my bill, but thats beside the fact. anyway, most hotels have special offers... when you travel in uniform, people always want to buy you a drink or something. its nice sometimes.

just dont be a S***bag and walk around like the world owes you a bl*wjob cause your in the military... i want to punch all those a-holes when i see them doing that. if you joined for the "perks", then you need to reconsider your life choices. im not saying you specifically, just saying in general, there are alot of enlisted that should have never been able to enlist in the first place.

Last edited by Wes; 08-01-2011 at 8:02 PM..
Old 08-01-2011, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
just dont be a S***bag and walk around like the world owes you a bl*wjob cause your in the military... i want to punch all those a-holes when i see them doing that. if you joined for the "perks", then you need to reconsider your life choices. im not saying you specifically, just saying in general, there are alot of enlisted that should have never been able to enlist in the first place.
+1. Ya there are some nice perks, but dont be that guy.

I hate my life.
Old 08-01-2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:

So then what are all the army cats doin in cammies in the airport?
Old 08-02-2011, 7:12 AM

airport and cammies = arriving/departing from deployment.

mall and camies = ???
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
So then what are all the army cats doin in cammies in the airport?
sometimes you fly in uniform, sometimes you dont. depends on what your unit says. i have flown in plains cothes before, but last time i went to germany we flew in uniform. less units are flying uniform these days cause of events like the one in germany where the airmen were gunned down. but like i said, depends on what your command tells you to wear.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch_paradox View Post
airport and cammies = arriving/departing from deployment.

mall and camies = ???
most likey either a recruiter or "that guy" that i was describing earlier... other than that should be no real reason other than maybe getting lunch on our break which we ocasionally do.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
most likey either a recruiter or "that guy" that i was describing earlier... other than that should be no real reason other than maybe getting lunch on our break which we ocasionally do.
I was out with my buddy and his father(US Army Captain) at the mall pretty recently and we came across a small group of men in ACU's all acting a little wild in the food court. After 20 minutes of "Let them fix themselves" my friends dad decided to do it himself. I didn't really hear the conversation but it involved a lot of phone calls when we got back to the house.

I love seeing people in uniforms at the airport, especially when it is evident that they are just coming home from the middle east. But people that abuse the uniform do not deserve to wear it.

Hell.. I work in security and people try to give me free things all the time. I do not take them or I pay for it, personally I would feel guilty for taking free things.

Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07
Old 08-02-2011, 2:43 PM

I love the perks that come with military service. Its not why I joined, but it certainly helped me make the decision. Ive used EVERY drop of my TA for the last 3 years, and will continue to do so until I have to start bleeding my GI Bill, which I will bleed dry. I figure that I gave my youth the Corps, and they got theirs, so Im'a damn well get mine too.
Old 08-02-2011, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveInfluence View Post
I was out with my buddy and his father(US Army Captain) at the mall pretty recently and we came across a small group of men in ACU's all acting a little wild in the food court. After 20 minutes of "Let them fix themselves" my friends dad decided to do it himself. I didn't really hear the conversation but it involved a lot of phone calls when we got back to the house.

I love seeing people in uniforms at the airport, especially when it is evident that they are just coming home from the middle east. But people that abuse the uniform do not deserve to wear it.

Hell.. I work in security and people try to give me free things all the time. I do not take them or I pay for it, personally I would feel guilty for taking free things.
yeah it happens alot, and it can be pretty embarrasing being associated
Old 08-02-2011, 4:35 PM

When youíre a 38 year old E4 youíre not quick to dress up in uniform and show off.

But seriously, it hadnít even occurred to me all those little perks.

My favorite perk:

No handgun safety card required during the purchase of a handgun in California.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Lots of good things come from the military. Like someone else mentioned you just ask at stores if they offer a discount. Traveling I've never payed for check baggage, even when on ordinary leave. Bought my 1st house (2500 sq ft, 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 3 car garage in CA) at 25 yeas old and put 0 zero because I used my VA loan. ThEres probably too many to list.

Quote:
you just have to ask around. every where you go, just ask if there are any military discounts available. hell, some places that dont give the discount will still give you discount out of respect. your cell phone provider should give you a monthly discount on your bill. i have verizon, which i believe is 10-15% off a month i think? i dont use it cause my civilian job gives me 22% off my bill, but thats beside the fact. anyway, most hotels have special offers... when you travel in uniform, people always want to buy you a drink or something. its nice sometimes.

Completely agree with you on the second part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
When youíre a 38 year old E4 youíre not quick to dress up in uniform and show off.

But seriously, it hadnít even occurred to me all those little perks.

My favorite perk:

No handgun safety card required during the purchase of a handgun in California.
Guard or reserve?
Old 08-03-2011, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanksbeamen View Post
Guard or reserve?
Reserve. I wanted my "mission" and unit hierarchy to roll up into the army and the president of the USA, not the politics of California.
Old 08-03-2011, 2:19 PM

Funny, when I figured out I will be issued quite a bit of equipment and have to take care of it myself, and it will be stored in my own home I thought, “Oh son of a b!tc#”. I had assumed it was just the uniforms, and everything else would be stored at my unit.

Such is not the case :-( I guess it all makes sense from the Army’s point of view, because it is MY personal equipment fitted for me, and that’s also A LOT LESS the Army has to keep track of by putting it on individual soldiers shoulders.

I imagine there are quite a few out there thinking it’s the coolest thing to take all that stuff home.

So many things no one tells you before you put your finger print on the scanner.
Old 08-03-2011, 4:14 PM

Quote:

I imagine there are quite a few out there thinking itís the coolest thing to take all that stuff home.

What kind of stuff exactly are you talking about?

...On Your Toes,

Rome is burning...
Old 08-03-2011, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time of Flight View Post
What kind of stuff exactly are you talking about?
The helmet comes to mind. My last drill my CO was reminding everyone to bring their Kevlar for the next drillís range qual. Then I asked around and thereís other stuff as well (like the personal medical kit).

This might only be particular to reserve units. I donít know. I am learning there is a lot of variation between what one unit does and another.
Old 08-03-2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
The helmet comes to mind. My last drill my CO was reminding everyone to bring their Kevlar for the next drillís range qual. Then I asked around and thereís other stuff as well (like the personal medical kit).

This might only be particular to reserve units. I donít know. I am learning there is a lot of variation between what one unit does and another.
what unit are you in? i always take my stuff home as well
Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 AM

I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but the new common access cards don't have social security numbers on the back. And it is perfectly okay to copy the front of the IDs since the only personal info on the front is The Name, pay grade, rank and of course a photo. If you are looking for "perks" and you like sunglasses, check out usstandardissue.com, it's the official site for Oakley military and government sales. There is a bunch of cool stuff on there besides sunglasses as well.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

The law says that military IDs can not be copied as I previously stated:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...70&postcount=3

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-05-2011, 3:28 PM

Quote:
what unit are you in? i always take my stuff home as well
I'm not an MP. I tried, but they only had custody positions open at the time, and I really wasn't interested in that.