Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-23-2007, 9:16 AM

Thumbs up Irvington Arms

I just picked up my Kimber Custom II from Irvington Arms this past Saturday, and I wanted to let everyone know of the great service I received from them. I got a great price on the firearm, and even though the wait was longer than I liked (Custom II was not in stock), the guys there kept me informed the whole time.

This is my first 1911. One of the best parts about the experience is that I didn't know how to field strip it. They walked me through the process, making it much easier than it would have been had I only Kimber's terrible instructions to work off.
Old 07-23-2007, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

+1 on Irvington Arms.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Irvington Arms is terrible...

on my bank account. Everytime I visit, I seem to either buy something or complete DROS paperwork. It doesn't help that Frank is so nice and helpful.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM

Irvington are have great customer service. Even though I had not purchase anything from them, they helped me alot on what I needed for my AR build.
Old 07-23-2007, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm suspicious of the guy named "Frank".

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 07-23-2007, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

What is it with Irvington and High Bridge both charging $100 for an internet/out-of-state FFL transfer? I'm not dinging on these guys, just wondering why they charge so darn much. By the time you purchase a great, cheap weapon from budsgunshop.com and deal with the transfer fees you lose any possible savings on the deal.

*sigh*
Old 07-23-2007, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
What is it with Irvington and High Bridge both charging $100 for an internet/out-of-state FFL transfer? I'm not dinging on these guys, just wondering why they charge so darn much. By the time you purchase a great, cheap weapon from budsgunshop.com and deal with the transfer fees you lose any possible savings on the deal.

*sigh*
Because of the great deals on budsgunshop.com, I wager. I would assume if I was Irvington that if I upped my transfer fee to negate the benefits of the deal, people would rather just buy the same gun in store. People need to stay in business mate.

Kimber Tactical Custom II
Browning Semi-Auto .22 Rifle
Benelli Supernova
Old 07-23-2007, 3:55 PM

I miss the personal service that Irvington arms provides since moving to Texas. I liked Lumpy also....

JS
Old 07-23-2007, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

+1 everytime i got to irvington arms for dro/ppt`s theyve always been quick and helpful,you dont see gun shops like that anymore
they`ll always get my business for sure and its kinda cool when you walk into a place and they know you by name actually i`ll be there again tomorrow,lol.
Old 07-23-2007, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKatMatt View Post
Because of the great deals on budsgunshop.com, I wager. I would assume if I was Irvington that if I upped my transfer fee to negate the benefits of the deal, people would rather just buy the same gun in store. People need to stay in business mate.
yeah no I hear ya, and that's why I say I'm not dinging them - I'm definitely a member of the 'shop locally' Bay Area mentality and do go through High Bridge for ammo & such. It just seems like such a high fee, $60-$70 seems more realistic (DROS/UncleSam fee is what, $35? so they'd make $30 for basically filing some paperwork).

Now, if only Irvington Arms were just a weeee bit closer to SF...
Old 07-23-2007, 7:56 PM

Fastest DROS in town

Thanks Frank and John, my bank account hates you though
Old 07-23-2007, 8:08 PM

My wife wont let me go there any more. I still go. But i have to be sneaky.

"Baby, I had that upper for a long time. Thats the one I tradded with my brother. Remember...

+1 Irvington Arms
Old 07-23-2007, 8:28 PM

Thumbs up

I concur with everyone else's statements about Irvington Arms- they rock!

Finally made it over to their place on Saturday because I needed to do a PPT with another Calgunner (The Professional, for his VERY sweet Ruger Mark II pistol). I was braced for a negative experience, like some of the gun stores/ shops I've hit in the Santa Cruz area (where I live). I was caught completely off -guard.

The guys are Irvington Arms were:
1) ORGANIZED - (First time I've seen a check list for the CA DROS process ON THE RECEIPT - damned awesome). Most of the gun shops I've gone to have been a comedy of errors when it comes to filling out the forms, and it's always taken over a 1/2 hour. Irvington had me done in like 15 minutes.
2) Friendly - These guys didn't take themselves too seriously, and were able to provide a courteous level of attention to all customers in the store- amazing. They also didn't come across as self righteous, a**-hats, like some other shops.
3) Fairly good prices - Went in there to do a PPT and ended up buying Ruger Single Six, as well, for a good price. However, I'm going to gladly pay me for not having to deal with the BS.

I'll be back at their store, even if it does cost me slightly more in terms of gas and $$$. A+++++.

(By the way, if I lived in "greater suburbs" of Taft I'd probably hit up 10% firearms, as Wes is a quality act, also. But, living 5+ hours away kinda' kills that whole deal...)
Old 07-23-2007, 8:44 PM

Default Fastest DROS in town.

BigMac dros'd my CZ40B in about 7 minutes. I would not have believed it myself if I were not the one making the purchase. This assumes you have all your papers (HSFC, CDL, proof of residency, etc.) Their transfer fees used to be $80otd.

I highly recommend them.
Old 07-24-2007, 6:21 AM

Thanks guys..

The 100 dollar fee breaks down to 69 bucks for the store. After 4 years the fee went up 19 bucks. We had to eliminate discounted dealer fees beacause they were taking up so much time and space.

Even before the change in price... most guys ended up spending more to get a firearm transfered than if they bought it from me in the store. I've broken it down for several guys and they almost never save any real money after shipping and fees.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words. It makes the effort worth while.
Old 07-24-2007, 7:13 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Just wanted to thank Frank and his guys for Supporting the CA State IDPA Match this year.
We really appreciate it.
Jan
Old 07-24-2007, 7:58 AM

Kinda OT

anyone know what they have in stock for .22 rifles, maybe time to get one for my little.

Heading down there on Friday
Old 07-24-2007, 4:42 PM

Got any more single sixes?

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 5:04 PM

First off, John and Martin are SUPER DUPER GREAT GUYS!

Last Saturday, I did a total of 9 DROS with them and they have accomplished this in about 35 minutes! I can't believe it myself. I live 50 miles away from that shop but I only give my business to them. They are first class gentlemen and not to mention the good prices that they have. Heck, I always go there every 10 days to pick up something. They are that great.

Thanks Irvington Arms for a great service! Do note that you have gained a very loyal customer here!

“Liberty is to the collective body, what health is to every individual body. Without health no pleasure can be tasted by man; without liberty, no happiness can be enjoyed by society.”
Thomas Jefferson quotes (American 3rd US President (1801-09). Author of the Declaration of Independence. 1762-1826)
Old 07-24-2007, 6:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've been to IA twice for PPT and I have to say I am impressed with their customer service. My next few retail purchases will be with them.
Old 07-24-2007, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devjunk762 View Post
1) ORGANIZED - (First time I've seen a check list for the CA DROS process ON THE RECEIPT - damned awesome). Most of the gun shops I've gone to have been a comedy of errors when it comes to filling out the forms, and it's always taken over a 1/2 hour. Irvington had me done in like 15 minutes.
I've always wondered about gun shops who do this slowly. It would seem to me that they fill out the same form every day. It should start to go pretty quickly after about, oh, the 5th one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
I need your help. Rush over here with shovels, half-naked girls and lots of beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_Fox View Post
im 26 and I feel like a creep trying to mack the 18 year old, i still do it, but I feel creepy.
Old 07-24-2007, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911jerry View Post
I miss the personal service that Irvington arms provides since moving to Texas. I liked Lumpy also....

JS
I'm sure the big black dog misses you too.

I have had good dealings with Irvington Arms. Living a mile away makes them convenient, which is why I started going there several years ago. However, visiting Reeds in San Jose convinced me Irvington Arms was a good store, not just a convenient one.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierratangofoxtrotunion View Post
I've always wondered about gun shops who do this slowly. It would seem to me that they fill out the same form every day. It should start to go pretty quickly after about, oh, the 5th one.
Alot of the guys who work in gun stores - and it is mostly guys - have been outpaced by the technology & and exacting paperwork required for DROS & transfer. And there's still quite a bit of the "I don't go in fer' no book learnin'" out there. I usually don't mind. I figure there's worse things than being stuck in a gun store for a while.
Old 08-04-2007, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

I hate you, Irvington Arms. (a joke, a joke...)

I made my first trip out to IA yesterday to talk with Frank about a bunch of topics regarding PPC Match shooting, he has more knowledge in his left pinky than I have in my entire brain; it was great (thanks again, Frank). But there is a problem...

I have/had pretty much almost decided on a certain handgun as my next purchase, it is/was in my mind and I had it almost planned out. Then Frank goes and shows me an 'upgraded' (sights, trigger job, springs replaced, etc.) gun they did to another model of handgun within the same family line at a very, very nice price when you include their gunsmithing (less than $200 over MSRP). And this particular gun is a well-known model in the competition circuits to boot.

Now I don't know what to do, hah. Mainly one (the 'upgrade') is .9lbs heavier than the other which I had planned, back to the drawing board. I'm almost tempted to drive the ~40mi back out there and DROS, buy one now and the other later - what the heck.

...sigh...
Old 08-06-2007, 7:46 AM

Yeah! Get both!
I was in there buying a Kimber Target II and they had an Eclipse in stock, I'm fighting like crazy to keep my wallet in my pocket...
Old 08-06-2007, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I hate you, Irvington Arms. (a joke, a joke...)
I made my first trip out to IA yesterday to talk with Frank about a bunch of topics regarding PPC Match shooting, he has more knowledge in his left pinky than I have in my entire brain; it was great (thanks again, Frank). But there is a problem...
I have/had pretty much almost decided on a certain handgun as my next purchase, it is/was in my mind and I had it almost planned out. Then Frank goes and shows me an 'upgraded' (sights, trigger job, springs replaced, etc.) gun they did to another model of handgun within the same family line at a very, very nice price when you include their gunsmithing (less than $200 over MSRP). And this particular gun is a well-known model in the competition circuits to boot.
Now I don't know what to do, hah. Mainly one (the 'upgrade') is .9lbs heavier than the other which I had planned, back to the drawing board. I'm almost tempted to drive the ~40mi back out there and DROS, buy one now and the other later - what the heck.
...sigh...
If you're serious about PPC, a revolver is the way to go. I'm sure IA can help you figure out what to get. A custom 686 would probably be the most common choice.
If you want a handgun, my top choices would be:
custom 6" 1911 in 9x19, S&W 952PC-PPC, SIG210-5 LS, Sig Sauer X6 or Pardini GT9 6" (so unless you're LEO, choosing a revolver would probably be a lot cheaper/easier )

I have a couple of PPC-tuned 210s, a custom 686 and a Pardini that I'd be more than willing to let you test fire before you make up your mind
Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Another +1 for IA. Went there for the first time this weekend to DROS a Mega. Ended up getting a 10/22 also. Guys were very friendly and helpful (which is a RARE experience when going to a gun store where they don't know you). Highly Recommended!

Join The NRA

"America is at that awkward stage. It’s too late to change the system from within, yet too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolf

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -Mahatma Gandhi
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
If you're serious about PPC, a revolver is the way to go. I'm sure IA can help you figure out what to get. A custom 686 would probably be the most common choice.
If you want a handgun, my top choices would be:
custom 6" 1911 in 9x19, S&W 952PC-PPC, SIG210-5 LS, Sig Sauer X6 or Pardini GT9 6" (so unless you're LEO, choosing a revolver would probably be a lot cheaper/easier )

I have a couple of PPC-tuned 210s, a custom 686 and a Pardini that I'd be more than willing to let you test fire before you make up your mind
Rich there can make your revolver run slick as snot. I'm sure somone will chime in about their trigger job, etc. that he put together
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
IN GOD WE TRUST!
CGN Contributor

The Kill other gun shops by a super long shop, make me think they can make a 22lr hit its target a 5 miles away......

WTS JL audio 8W7 X2, JL audio 500/1v2, Alpine Ine-940, Stinger Cap!!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5#post17991865
WTS SIG MPX CARBINE, SIG MPX PISTOL, NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM PREDATOR, Acog in .308!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1186395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt81 View Post
I'm serious.
Are you one of those .45 elitists?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisheryayarea View Post
The Kill other gun shops by a super long shop, make me think they can make a 22lr hit its target a 5 miles away......
Put down the booze and step away until you can form a cohesive and intelligent sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25
I would love to have a hole cut in the ceiling so I could pop out and BAM! Hit 'em with my spice weasel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron
The hassle would be between this. (_._) and this (_0_).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
When Im wearing a miniskirt than yeah sure I use my foot to flush the urinals all the time!
Old 06-24-2009, 8:30 PM

Another +1 for Irvington. I work around the corner practically and find some reason to stop by about once a week. All the guys there are great. In fact I think I'll stop by tomorrow
Old 06-24-2009, 8:54 PM

I am stopping there Friday @ 5:36pm...for a pickup.
Old 07-28-2009, 9:47 AM
Calguns Addict

+1. Been there a few times and they have always been courteous and very helpful. Kudos on Dave for being a nice guy even when multi-tasked.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 07-28-2009, 8:06 PM
Banned

Quote:

*sigh*
You just answered your own question
Old 07-28-2009, 9:30 PM

+1
irvington arms is my favorite FFL and i have been going there for about 15 years.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA LIFE MEMBER
JPFO LIFE MEMBER
CRPA LIFE MEMBER
FRONT SIGHT PRESIDENT MEMBERSHIP
*disclaimer - all posts are for entertainment purposes only. any likeness to actual persons, places or events is purely coincidental.