Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms > Rimfire Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Gallery Post pictures of your rimfire rifles and handguns here!

Old 07-13-2011, 7:24 PM

Default Colt M4 .22LR -- love it!

Old 07-13-2011, 7:37 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yeap!! Love it ...
Old 07-14-2011, 4:17 AM
Veteran Member

looks fun

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
-------
Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK
Old 07-15-2011, 1:24 PM

I used to have the M16 version. The more you shoot it, the better it gets.
Best with CCI mini mags and HV rounds.
Old 07-16-2011, 2:28 PM

I love mine...
Old 07-16-2011, 5:31 PM

Range report my first time out with the M4:

Numerous failures to fire, failures to extract, and other malfunctions. When I had a failure to fire I would drop the magazine and cycle the bolt only to find the unexpended round still in the chamber with a dimple from the firing pin. Hitting it again fired the weapon properly. It troubles me that a round won't extract without being fired.

Front sight turned out to be bent to the left causing me to have to adjust windage significantly.

Rifle was set for about 400 meters from the factory, causing me to miss the target completely at 100 yards with the small aperture. Adjusting elevation by about 10 clicks down and using the large aperture finally put me in the black at 25 yards before I ran out of ammo. I was using Aquila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity ammunition and had adjusted the bolt speed per the manual by about 50%. 150 rounds fired.

Here's my target with groups and points of aim indicated:

As you can see, doing the 6 o'clock hold at 100 yards, with at least 30 rounds, with the small aperture was a disaster. I didn't even have to change the Shoot-N-C because they all missed. FYI the "flyers" in the photo are actually the previous shooter's rounds, as I didn't have a staple gun and had to reuse the target.

I was satisfied with the results after I finally got the point of aim at the point of impact at 25 yards in the final series of shots when I was down to my last magazine. If I switch to the small aperture, I should be good to go at 100 yards or more.

Basically I need a scope and I need to find the right combination of ammo and bolt speed. I might try Winchester high velocity next time, as this Aquila Hyper Velocity was unreliable.

On the plus side, the rifle is an exact replica of the weight, size, feel, and looks of the real thing. I was asked at the range what conversion kit I was using, only to explain that this is a new dedicated .22LR model from Colt. The A4 carry handle with integrated sights, handguard, and CAR stock are straight off the real M4, which added to the realism.

In conclusion this rifle would be a fun plinker with more reliable ammo, but it's not intended for serious shooting. A couple of plastic pieces fell off when I field stripped it for adjustments, but I let them go because they're not necessary.

Frankly, a scoped 10/22 with a HBAR and banana clip would be my preference. However, at $469 this Colt represents adequate value for money.

I'm going back to the range tomorrow with new adjustments to the bolt speed, and of course more ammo

Last edited by andytothemax; 07-16-2011 at 7:08 PM..
Old 07-17-2011, 1:33 PM

Second range report:

After adjusting the bolt speed to the slowest setting per the manual, I experienced fewer malfunctions. However, I had one potentially dangerous misfire where despite repeatedly hammering the round it would not fire. I had to borrow a cleaning rod from the rangemaster and dislodge the round barrel-first . The round had a giant burr from being struck so many times by the firing pin. I left at that point because I didn't want it to happen again. Next time I'll bring a cleaning rod. But this doesn't address the fact that the weapon fails to extract when needed. In fact it fails to extract at all, requiring you to re-strike the round when it doesn't fire. I don't like that feature.

Accuracy was improved since I had the sights zeroed in, but strangely enough it shot normally at 25 yards with a six o'clock hold, and high at 50 yards with the same hold! WTF:

The failure to fire/extract jammed rounds is a serious concern. Of note, the forward assist is non-functional and is cosmetic only. Had I been a less experienced shooter, I would not have known what to do.

I was advised to use normal velocity ammunition next time, which I don't understand, but which I just might do after this experience. I'll update this when I do that.

Accuracy wise, I have no doubt that with a scope this would be in the <1 MOA range. I had several one-ragged-hole shots with iron sights. So that's good.

Meanwhile, my conclusion remains the same as before: if you're looking for an adequate but great looking plinker, or a training rifle for the real deal, get this rifle because it's a great value for money at $469 at Big 5. If you're looking for a better plinker that's just...better in every other category than looks, go with a HBAR 10/22 either with a scope or a red dot sight.

Last edited by andytothemax; 07-17-2011 at 1:35 PM..
Old 07-17-2011, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytothemax View Post
Accuracy was improved since I had the sights zeroed in, but strangely enough it shot normally at 25 yards with a six o'clock hold, and high at 50 yards with the same hold! WTF:
Bullets don't travel straight. Might be on point at 25 yards but at 50 yards the bullet is still traveling in its upward arch.

Its a good rifle for what it is, a plinker. Take it too seriously and you will find its flaws all over the place.

I do have to say that Umarex customer service is great, I called them and told them I was going to do my own trigger job and would like to have spare parts on hand as this will be trial and error, they doubled my order of FCG springs for free and wished me luck.
Old 07-17-2011, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4D View Post
Bullets don't travel straight. Might be on point at 25 yards but at 50 yards the bullet is still traveling in its upward arch.

Its a good rifle for what it is, a plinker. Take it too seriously and you will find its flaws all over the place.

I do have to say that Umarex customer service is great, I called them and told them I was going to do my own trigger job and would like to have spare parts on hand as this will be trial and error, they doubled my order of FCG springs for free and wished me luck.
I will ask them about the extractor, thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2011, 7:21 PM

Love mine as well. Congrats.

11,100 rounds through my barrel but who's counting.
Old 07-19-2011, 7:40 PM

I got a response from Umarex customer service-- it makes sense:

Quote:
Dear Andrew,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with our product. Try the follow to correct your issue.

Most instances a light primer strike or feeding issue can be eliminated by adjusting the bolt speed. Tightening the set screw on the bolt spring 9+ complete turns to the right(from flush) will apply enough additional force to ensure the cartridge is seated firmly against the breech face and that the cartridge is fully seated within the chamber. Currently the factory has this set screw flush with the hole it seats in. By applying the 9+ turns below flush on this set screw we have had no problems shooting various High Velocity ammo. We do not recommend using subsonic ammo. Use High velocity ammo only, preferably copper coated, for best performance.

We recommend the following ammo only due to the feedback we have received from customers:
CCI - Mini Mag, Velocitor, Stingers
RWS – Target, High Velocity
Federal - Game-Shok, Auto Match, Champion Target (Copper Plated HP)
Most Winchester – Xpert - Super X 37gr HP, Super X Power Point, Super X Lead Round Nose 40gr
Wolf
Eley
Aguila HV

We DO NOT recommend the following ammo only due to the feedback we have received from customers:
Winchester Wild Cats – (leaves excessive lead debris behind)
Any form of Remington – (oversized and will not feed into chamber well)
I'm using Aguila HV...I had it adjusted to about 7 turns so I will go the range again this weekend and see if 10 turns resolves the issue. At home, racking the bolt is noticeably firmer and it strikes the breech really hard. I should be set!
Old 07-23-2011, 7:37 PM

Quote:
I got a response from Umarex customer service-- it makes sense:

I'm using Aguila HV...I had it adjusted to about 7 turns so I will go the range again this weekend and see if 10 turns resolves the issue. At home, racking the bolt is noticeably firmer and it strikes the breech really hard. I should be set!
No dice, even with different ammo. I have a defective extractor. Incidentally, someone else at the range today had the same rifle and had no problems extracting rounds.

Looking at the chamber, there is a small dent in it from where the extractor appears to be impacting it. Looks like this one will be going back to Colt/Umarex for warranty repairs.

Last edited by andytothemax; 07-23-2011 at 8:03 PM..
Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No dice, even with different ammo. I have a defective extractor. Incidentally, someone else at the range today had the same rifle and had no problems extracting rounds.

Looking at the chamber, there is a small dent in it from where the extractor appears to be impacting it. Looks like this one will be going back to Colt/Umarex for warranty repairs.
So the Colt/Umarex is designed to extract live/unfire ammo but yours is not doing so?

-Rich
Old 07-25-2011, 1:03 AM

Sorry to hear about the malfunctions. Personal ammo favorites for my Marlin 60 are CCI Blazers & Federals. I have been warned repeatedly to stay away from Winchester Wild Cats

Good luck on having the problems fixed!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRichie09 View Post
So the Colt/Umarex is designed to extract live/unfire ammo but yours is not doing so?
Correct. The extractor is just not gripping the case rim.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

I had the same issue. Every other round I would wither FTF or FTE. Contacted Umarex and got an RMA. They replaced the extractor or firing pin, don't remember exactly.

Took it out for a bit but this gun is really finicky. Seems that it can't handle getting a bit dirty, and all .22 rounds I've used are DIRTY.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Sucks that you are having issues. Mine has fun fine out of the box from day one. Hopefully it's a simple fix that Umarex can turn around pretty quickly.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I bought my Umarex Colt M4 a couple of years ago when they first came out. Shooting from a bipod and topped with a Leupold scope, I was able to get 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch 5-shot groups at 50 yards and groups slightly over 1 inch at 100 yards. I was using Aguila SE standard velocity ammo.

With all the problems you are having, perhaps the quality has changed over the years. I purchased another Umarex Colt M4 last year, but haven't had a chance to shoot it. Hopefully it will perform similarly to my first one.

My main complaint is with the trigger. It's horrible. Supposedly the Umarex HK 416 trigger and sear assembly is better and will drop right in. I've been meaning to send my firing control assembly off to Bill Springfield for a trigger job, but never seem to get around to it.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-25-2011, 12:35 PM

Just a thought, have you cleaned the chamber thoroughly? After cleaning it, do you ensure all oil/lube is wiped clean out of the chamber? If not, this is probably why you are experiencing failures to extract. (though, it could be the ammo... My Savage Mk II doesn't like Aguila, they seem to use a lot of wax, and that bungs up the chamber) Here is a simple test for you: field strip the rifle, and press a live. 22lr round into the chamber with your thumb. (obviously taking all necessary safety precautions) If you cannot pull the round out with your fingernail, the extractor is not at fault, the chamber is dirty. If it is dirty, get a. 22 brass brush and a pistol cleaning rod, brush the chamber well, clean with solvent, oil it lightly, and go through several dry patches, scrubbing them back and forth in the chamber. You might be surprised by how much crud comes out of there. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2011, 4:54 PM

I have been loving mine since the day I bought it. At first I used to get FTE but adjusted the spring 6 turns in from flush and its been seriously flawless since then. Not one FTE or FTF with Federal bulk packs.

Actually I have been painting mine these past two days. Here are the results: