Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-11-2011, 6:08 PM

Default Why does Resident PME attract so many stupid people?

I just checked into Corporals Course today and can confidently say I've managed to meet some of the most terrible corporals. There seems to be two categories.

1. Individuals who happen to be incredibly incompetent and lack any semblance of motivation.

2. Individuals who happen to be incredibly incompetent but try to blast false motivation in a pretty sad attempt to try to snag the honor grad spot.

Needless to say some of the only corporals I actually got along with were grunts and the guy from recon...

I've also heard some horror stories from people at different levels of Staff Academy of people grubbing for a commendatory fitrep...

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 07-11-2011, 6:49 PM

Cpls course is generally full of boot Cpl trying to find their leadership style while trying to impress the Cpls who have been somewhere. Pay them no mind, they will usually find their way to the back of the ammo can runs on Del Mar beach and disappear into obscurity.

Let me be on record saying that Cpls Course was ghey as poop. Keep that in mind.
Old 07-11-2011, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

If thats anything like potential leadership development course (now warrior leadership course) then yeah, totally ghey, I was the only combat arms guy in my entire platoon, missed honor grad simply because I didn't put any effort into it and got into a argument with my instructors on how to conduct mission planning, trip ticket and everything needed prior to a patrol, as I did the planning how I did it overseas and not according to how the schoolhouse said it should go.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
Cpls course is generally full of boot Cpl trying to find their leadership style while trying to impress the Cpls who have been somewhere. Pay them no mind, they will usually find their way to the back of the ammo can runs on Del Mar beach and disappear into obscurity.

Let me be on record saying that Cpls Course was ghey as poop. Keep that in mind.
Ya pretty much. You'll hate the person that has a story for every situation that the instructor brings up. I know I had one in my class. Man it was annoying. All in all I just viewed it as something I had to do and did my best. Then again I went with only 6 months left, but even then I didn't have any false motivation. Basically the only people I associated with were the grunts and the few guys who came from my old battalion.

Basically it comes down to the people who want to kiss *** and get the honor grad spot to look good, the one who works their *** off to EARN the honor grad spot, the ones who Listen to what the instructor has to say and learn it all, and those who were force there and dont really care.

I hate my life.
Old 07-12-2011, 7:57 AM

You have to think that a lot of people are forced to go to it and have no desire to be there and have no motivation. They may not be incompetent but just dont care enough to put forth the effort for something that is meaningless to them.

I heard they were changing the courses up so they werent just pt haze fests and drill sessions and you actually learned some useful ground side stuff. They are great courses for the career people.
Old 07-12-2011, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankyle62 View Post
You have to think that a lot of people are forced to go to it and have no desire to be there and have no motivation. They may not be incompetent but just dont care enough to put forth the effort for something that is meaningless to them.

I heard they were changing the courses up so they werent just pt haze fests and drill sessions and you actually learned some useful ground side stuff. They are great courses for the career people.
When I went the PT want that bad. Except the first time we ran in formation the sergeant that led us ran at like a 14 minute 3 mile pace and no one could keep up. The rest wasnt all that bad and I was running on an twisted ankle. The "combat" run or what ever it was called was pretty fun.

I hate my life.
Old 07-14-2011, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi View Post
I just checked into Corporals Course today and can confidently say I've managed to meet some of the most terrible corporals. There seems to be two categories.

1. Individuals who happen to be incredibly incompetent and lack any semblance of motivation.

2. Individuals who happen to be incredibly incompetent but try to blast false motivation in a pretty sad attempt to try to snag the honor grad spot.

Needless to say some of the only corporals I actually got along with were grunts and the guy from recon...

I've also heard some horror stories from people at different levels of Staff Academy of people grubbing for a commendatory fitrep...
Honest answer, unfortunately you will see this same thing at every PME school you go to where Marines of the Same rank but different MOS's and backgrounds come together. You will see Marines acting like kids because there is no one of higher rank than them keeping them in line other than the instructors.
If you are having an easy time try to help out the guys that are having trouble, but ultimately you are at the school for you. There will be individuals there who dont give a crap about the school, were forced to go by their command, ETC. Dont let them drag you down.
And the instructors can smell the Fake motivation BS just like you can, maybe one might fall for it, but the instructors all talk together and the truth comes out.

Good luck, I went to Cpls course down in delmar back in 1996, had a good time but only really retained some of the close order drill. Lot different back then, we had to shine out boots and press our cammi's

Mag Limiters for Glock 17, Sig 2022 9mm
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1232751
Old 07-18-2011, 7:30 PM

What is PME? My son is a 03 LCpl currently stationed in 29 Palms. He has one "pump" and will deployed later this yr. This Aug will be his 3rd yr in the Corps In May, he got into a fight(do not know excact) while on duty. He got extra duty and restricted to base as punishment as far as I know. Will this hurt his chances to make Cpl? He wants to "try out" for EOD or FAST. He has good scores in PE, etc, just that black mark.He was going to be fire team leader before his mess-up. Does one have to be recommended for Cpl course? Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 7:48 PM

Corporals course is where units send their NCO's who need the most work. I understand that all Corporals go to Corporals course...But that ain't chit compared to Sgt's course.
I went to Cpl's course at Del Mar in '97.
Old 07-18-2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
What is PME? My son is a 03 LCpl currently stationed in 29 Palms. He has one "pump" and will deployed later this yr. This Aug will be his 3rd yr in the Corps In May, he got into a fight(do not know excact) while on duty. He got extra duty and restricted to base as punishment as far as I know. Will this hurt his chances to make Cpl? He wants to "try out" for EOD or FAST. He has good scores in PE, etc, just that black mark.He was going to be fire team leader before his mess-up. Does one have to be recommended for Cpl course? Thanks
Getting in fights is what Marines do.

In my day it would usually not "hurt" his chances for Cpl. it just might push it back for a cycle, due to the low Pro/Con marks.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Just let him no that if he goes to security forces FAST is not gauranteed. after gunslingers school they put in a wish list of duty stations and if they have a spot in FAST he might get lucky. they have 3 FAST companies know so he should be lucky. but he could still get sent the other duty stations which suck balls.

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 07-19-2011, 5:19 PM

The little scuffle might hurt his chances at EOD, at least for a little while. He won't really know unless he goes and talks to the EOD techs there in 29.

EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable data taken from inconclusive experiments with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of questionable mentality.
Old 07-19-2011, 7:25 PM

Thanks guys, I will pass on words of encourgement when he gets back from Mojave Viper training.