Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-04-2011, 9:22 PM

Default Any PT studs out there?

So I have started my packet for Marine OCS. My ASVAB was an 88 I think if i remember correctly I scored GT 123. Now all I need to do is get in really good shape because OCS is extremely competitive right now. My goal is to score a 300 currently I score no where near that. For the past 2 weeks I have been running two miles a day plan to increase it to three next week. I also do pullups crunches and push ups. Any tips or anyone who might be interested in helping me out?

I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually
-James A. Baldwin
Old 05-04-2011, 9:32 PM

Whats your PFT score right now? Dont be ashamed...
Old 05-04-2011, 9:44 PM

i wont share

I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually
-James A. Baldwin
Old 05-04-2011, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Everyone is a bit different, but when I left the Army in the late 90s I came out of SF with a 300 APFT, yet decided to return in 2000 and knew I needed to get back in shape. Here's what worked for me:

Important: to build up and avoid getting injured I started working out only 3 days a week for the first two weeks. Then I increased the frequency to 4 days, then 5 days, then 6 days.

Basic Resistance - pushups, situps, short-squat thrusts (burpee), "beat your boots" squats. All of these were done to high rep with little rest - the key was getting the heart rate up, but not to cardio levels.

Distance Run - I'd go run at my own pace for 2 miles minimum and stretch it longer as my body adjusted. Distance is only a benchmark; you need to push your heart rate into a zone of effort for a specific amount of time. In other words, a 20 minute run that wasn't particularly challenging was a waste of time. Over the course of several months my run sessions averaged about 30minutes to an hour. This will help build cardio endurance and make a 2-3 mile fitness test run seem less intense.

Jog/Sprint - you have to stress your heart for it to increase in capability, so some days I'd go for a light jog, but every 5 minutes I would sprint for 30 seconds to a minute. I would try to do this for at least 30 minutes, often using landmarks as benchmarks - "okay, I'll sprint to the second telephone poll" or "to the next block". This is also very effective on a treadmill as you can explicitly control the speed.

Weights - by the second week I was adding weights. If you're not too experienced with free weights I suggest doing a session with a friend who can show you the proper form. I would try to work specific muscle groups every other day so that they got some time to rest. For example, shoulders/arms one day, chest/back another.

When I started to drop weight and build up strength and endurance, I turned my weight sessions into faster superset sessions. I'd do combinations of pushing/pulling exercises, back to back with little rest in between - again, to keep my heart rate up.

The two most important aspects to this is sticking with a routine that progresses and eating healthy during this time. You can take two steps forward by working out but four steps back by slacking off a week or two. The same goes for eating crap food or just too much. It's all about balance.
Old 05-04-2011, 9:54 PM

The best advice I've gotten for passing a PT Test with flying colors is to just do the PT test. If you're not maxing push ups, do more push ups. The hardest thing to really improve is your run time, and that just takes- you guessed it- more running. If you don't like just doing push ups, sit ups, and running on their own, try running a mock PT Test two or three times a week. Make sure you have recovery time though, or you won't see any improvements. It won't neccesarily get you in the best shape, but if you're just looking for a good score...

Personally, I used to average in the approximate 275 area (Respectable, but not studly- I'm kinda lazy when it comes to PT). Lately though, I know my scores have gone down a little across the board (except running), even though I think I'm in better "overall" shape, because I stopped training for the test. Endless push ups and sit ups are not very good for your back.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I agree 100% percent on the food part last week I got lazy and pigged out I was so hungry after the runs that now this week I feel slower. This week ive been packing a bagged lunch and eating all the fruits i can in the morning and veggies throughout the day I will do everything I can to get my score to 300. The next OCS school starts in Oct so I need to pick it up fast or I can wait it out till January.

-James A. Baldwin

Last edited by BakerPD; 05-04-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 PM

www.sealfit.com

or www.crossfit.com

EDIT: I'm not advising jumping into these right away, especially if you're not very in shape yet. However, once you get to a moderate level of fitness, I definitely recommend trying these to reach peak performance levels.

you can use those to build up endurance and cardio using those. If you can't do these for whatever reason (i.e. equipment access being limited), do a run, incorporate a ridiculously long body weight exercise (such as the famous "Murphy" exercise), then do a run again.

Here's some personal favorites of mine. If you don't have the endurance, take a brief break until you can continue... or if you find you can't do enough pullups, do assisted pullups with a buddy or use a chair under one of your feet.

Deck of Cards (taken from www.hotshotfitness.com )

A longtime favorite of hotshot crews stuck on lightning-standby, or on an endless staging assignment somewhere off-forest. Grab a deck of cards. Pick one. The rules are simple:
Diamonds = Pull-ups
Clubs = Pushups
Spades = Situps
Hearts = Dips (or lunges or mountain climbers if a dip bar isn't available)
All face cards = 10. If you pulled a King of Diamonds - you'd be on the bar for 10 pull-ups. If you pulled a seven of clubs, you'd be down for 7 pushups. Simple.

Lots of good info here: http://www.hotshotfitness.com/hotshotworkout.html

This is also another of my favorites (the workout at top of page): http://www.hotshotfitness.com/circuittraining.html

Good luck, future Sir. :P

Last edited by Requiem; 05-04-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 PM

Get an honest assessment from your recruiter and learn how to train to the standards. Get a good pair of boots and go ruck marching at least a couple times a week over varied terrain. If it's anything like Army OCS then this will be a big part of your experience. Also keep in mind that nearly all of your training, physical and educational assessments will be conducted while sleep deprived and sore.

Here is a good pair of boots: http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/produc...ent_product=16

Last edited by MRX9989; 05-05-2011 at 12:10 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerPD View Post
So I have started my packet for Marine OCS. My ASVAB was an 88 I think if i remember correctly I scored GT 123. Now all I need to do is get in really good shape because OCS is extremely competitive right now. My goal is to score a 300 currently I score no where near that. For the past 2 weeks I have been running two miles a day plan to increase it to three next week. I also do pullups crunches and push ups. Any tips or anyone who might be interested in helping me out?
I was a Command Fitness Leader for the Navy for 5 years. The biggest command I managed the PT program for was Naval Base San Diego. Given my position then I had to try to outdo everyone. At first it was tough to out PT the young uns especially when I went over 40 y.o. but here's what I figured out: Only master the events you need to do well on. So that's what I did during the weeks before testing season. I did nothing but the Navy PT test and exercises associated with the muscles I needed to ace it.

For Marines you need to do 20 pulls ups, 100 crunches and an 18:00 mile run for a score of 300. So tailor your training to be heavy on back, shoulders, core and cardio. Skip the bench press and the bicep curls for now. You want to specialize to get that 300. Oh and you have to have a reasonable level of fitness as a solid base so you may as well incorporate PT into your lifestyle.

And shipmate if my 45 y.o. @$$ can do 20 pull ups then I KNOW you can do it too! But damn 6 minutes per mile is going to be a *****! Good luck!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 AM

Always run for time and not distance 30 min minimum. Mix it up as much as you can. Brando mentioned jog/sprints, that's the best way to cut time. Usually I'll go 3-4 light poles at a time ie jog 3 sprint 3 and repeat for 15-20 mins then do another 10 mins at a jog.

Be careful when using weights for training; military pt tests have have little to do with strength and are more endurance based. Grab a scale and assume a push up position with your hands on the scale. This is the actual push up weight you must exert. Now put that weight on a bar and do 4 sets of 15 for each position (wide, shoulder width and narrow), if you want to really get-it; do crunches in between sets. Keep your heart rate up.

For pull ups: there is only one way and that is to just do them. Do them randomly like 10 before breakfast and 10 before and after dinner.

Now for my question; I thought Marine PT test was pass fail not a point system?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:53 AM

We all had humble beginnings. I was the "0 pull up kid" when I signed on the dotted line, and then ended up being my class ironman in MOS school and the guy who they could trust to not fall out with the squadron colors in the fleet.

Repetition, competition. I started a pull up competition in my company to see who could get to 1000 first with the prize of a 72. Had my Marines end up doing about 100-200 a day (and we only had 1 pull up bar). Just keep doing pull ups (in sets) in something equivalent to boots and utes so that green on green is cake.

Get used to running more than 3 miles, and incorporate sprints into run workouts. Invest in good pairs of running shoes and learn proper running technique to prevent injury.

Doing crunches forever is text book "Law of Diminishing Returns". Challenge yourself and go through a gauntlet of leg lifts, flutter kicks, Vs, russian twists, and planks. If you're going to do crunches, throw one leg over the other knee and do a diagonal elbow to knee motion, it'll wear you out.

Pay attention to diet too. I've seen some "skinny" bodies who stay in their room and eat junk food and can't PT worth a damn. I drink water (not even sports drinks or juice), and only drink alcohol during MC balls, mess nights, birthdays, and going away celebrations.

Above all else, keep in mind that this is worth push yourself beyond your limits:

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 05-05-2011, 12:05 PM

In the Army we normally do PT 5 days a week. Run Monday,Wednesday and Friday. Tuesday and Thursday are muscle failure days. Vary what you do on the run days. One day could be running up and down a really step hill. Another should be a long distance run. And the third one do sprints or 60/120's. Sprint for 60 seconds and then walk/slow job for 120 seconds. For the other two days just do push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and all that other good junk. Maybe throw in a ruck march on Saturday. When you get close take out a run day and make it a ruck march day.
Old 05-05-2011, 5:05 PM

OP- Getting to 20 pullups should be your main focus to get that score up. The run will come and the crunches shouldn't be to difficult. Each pullup is 5 points, again, the easiest way to get that score up.

EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable data taken from inconclusive experiments with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of questionable mentality.
Old 07-11-2011, 1:58 PM

YES from a failed PFT to a second class PFT

My pull ups and crunches have seen great improvements

9 pullups
73 crunches

from

0 pullups
and 30 crunches

-James A. Baldwin
Old 07-12-2011, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Good improvement....try again you nasty!!
Old 07-12-2011, 5:32 PM

Good progress OP.

Keep working at it. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

For me, the pullups was always the easy part (20 every time). What kicked my but was the situps. I could usually get the required 80 in 2 minutes but it wasn't easy!

Train on your weak points along with you strengths. Go beyond the PFT requirements and push yourself.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 07-13-2011, 6:49 PM

one thing that helped me improve was doing a PFT once a week and P90X. I also would run in the morning for distance. it was hard to find the time to do these things but i would improvise. for instance, if i could not commit to a day of P90X, I would try to run 3 to 4 miles and do a set of pyramid push-ups & pull-ups. it took a couple of months, but i eventually begain to improve my PFT score.
Old 07-13-2011, 9:42 PM

One thing i would emphasize is doing more than the max. Because who knows who is going to grade you. Especially at OCS! If you only do 20 pull ups and they dont count one you are SOL. So aim higher than 300. I know that is tough but i have had some graders that dont count push ups as well as others. The run you should be about 20 seconds in front of what ever the max is.
Old 07-14-2011, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I was a Command Fitness Leader for the Navy for 5 years. The biggest command I managed the PT program for was Naval Base San Diego. Given my position then I had to try to outdo everyone. At first it was tough to out PT the young uns especially when I went over 40 y.o. but here's what I figured out: Only master the events you need to do well on. So that's what I did during the weeks before testing season. I did nothing but the Navy PT test and exercises associated with the muscles I needed to ace it.

For Marines you need to do 20 pulls ups, 100 crunches and an 18:00 mile run for a score of 300. So tailor your training to be heavy on back, shoulders, core and cardio. Skip the bench press and the bicep curls for now. You want to specialize to get that 300. Oh and you have to have a reasonable level of fitness as a solid base so you may as well incorporate PT into your lifestyle.

And shipmate if my 45 y.o. @$$ can do 20 pull ups then I KNOW you can do it too! But damn 6 minutes per mile is going to be a *****! Good luck!

No biggie but it is a 3 mile run in 18:00 not a mile run in 18:00.