Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-10-2011, 1:19 AM

Default Enlistment question

Folks,

I've been thinking pretty hard recently about signing up. I'm torn between Navy and Air Force, although that's an entirely different conversation. It essentially comes down to me preferring airplanes and boats over tanks.

Anyway.

I'm a British citizen, US Permanent Resident. I left school at 16 after completing the English mandatory school term and final exams. Since then, I've worked in IT with a couple of years reserve service in the British Army.

Now, I don't have a degree, nor do I have the "life circumstances" to go to college at this point as I have financial commitments to the ex-wife and my daughter.

Because of this, I'd like to get as far along the enlisted path as possible when signing up.

I guess my ultimate question is - will 12 years professional experience (with an impressive resume if I do say so...) have any weight if I sign up?

I'm ok with an IT / tech related MOS if that will help, I just want to make sure that whatever grade I can join at is enough to meet my responsibilities with my family.

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-10-2011, 1:39 AM

I know that with the Marine Corps you can request for a specific military occupational specialty, which is something you can work out when you talk with a recruiter. Recruiters will usually work with you until you're happy with your enlistment choice. I personally didn't choose the exact job I wanted but I was given a job category which stated no matter what job I was going to get, it would have to be IT related.

Also note that there may be age requirements (27 for active duty Air Force, 34 for active duty Navy), given your 12 years of job experience, that will will probably put you somewhere around 30? Don't fret too much as there's waivers for that, and your resume will help show to the recruiter that you will be a valuable asset, hopefully to the field that you choose.

At the same time though, while your previous experience will play a small part in some way, it also doesn't really matter. Unlike almost all jobs where employers hire people that are already trained, servicemembers are trained about their job during their enlistment. Not saying your 12 years is meaningless, but I would say that it won't help steer you into the career of your choice.

At the end of the day, it's about showing the military branch of your choice that you can be useful to them, and the 12 year work experience you've had so far will help you. I'd personally be more concerned about your physical health as that plays a decent portion of your enlistment process as well.

Oh yeah, be sure to ask about bonuses. I know a few people that got bonuses for shipping out early, or for filling in critical needed jobs.

Good luck!

Last edited by xGearbox; 07-10-2011 at 1:45 AM..
Old 07-10-2011, 2:00 AM
Shh... Just let it happen
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotalchemy View Post
I'm a British citizen, US Permanent Resident.
You'll need to be a US CITIZEN. In your case, a Naturalized US Citizen, if you're thinking about any IT related Air Force MOS or Navy NEC. As they require you to maintain a minimum Secret Clearance. Permanent Resident Alien can get you in, but that's about it.

Old 07-10-2011, 2:13 AM

echo6 brings up a good point. IT fields typically require a secret clearance, which is almost impossible to get if you are still a permanent resident. If you are serious about joining the IT field in the U.S. military, I would advise to start working on getting naturalized before proceeding. You can apply for naturalization while in the military but I feel that by then you will have missed your chance to get the IT career you want from the get-go (you can via a lateral move or switch between careers, but it takes additional time).

Without a security clearance then, well... hey there's always a small arms repair job. You're on a gun forum so I assume you must have a bit of interest in it =P
Old 07-10-2011, 2:37 AM

Thanks for the answers

Out of the jobs which I've looked at so far, I'm drawn towards the small arms repair (gunners mate in the Navy, I think?) and towards the security services in the Air Force.

Or Military Police, as that was my role in the UK Reserves many moons back and I found it really interesting.

My professional experience is entirely IT related, thus my resume is all IT related, but I'm not particularly set on IT within the military, I simply realise that it would be more suited.

Naturalization won't happen for another three years (I'll be 30 by then), but lateral moves would be fine in my opinion.

I've mostly been thinking Reserves here, but recently I've been drawn more towards active duty and "going all in", as post-separation with the lady, I've really nothing to tie me here anymore.

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-10-2011, 4:47 PM

If I had the choice I would go Airforce, much better standard of living downrange and at home.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 07-10-2011, 4:59 PM

Air Force worked for me.
The Navy does this hot-bunk thing that some folks can not adjust to.
Got to get the low down from the recruiter.

Best of fortunes for you.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 07-10-2011, 6:00 PM

I don't know with the Air Force's IT field but in the Navy I know you have to be a citizen, that goes for a gunner's mate rate as well. Basically if you're not a citizen you would have limited choices of jobs when you enlist in both services.

I forgot to add, in the Navy you can switch rate/jobs if the Navy's need permits it. I know a guy who had a degree in IT and have 10 years of experience under his belt. But since he's not a citizen he ended up getting an airplane mechanic job.

Last edited by stitch_paradox; 07-10-2011 at 6:04 PM..
Old 07-10-2011, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
Air Force worked for me.
The Navy does this hot-bunk thing that some folks can not adjust to.
Got to get the low down from the recruiter.

Best of fortunes for you.
Please school me on this "hot-bunk" thing. I've never heard this term. Must be a post 60' thing.
Old 07-10-2011, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
Please school me on this "hot-bunk" thing. I've never heard this term. Must be a post 60' thing.
Sharing a bunk with another sailor working a different shift.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:50 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post
GMG, I think it's something the Navy started after 2001. Has to be because I've never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbri View Post
Sharing a bunk with another sailor working a different shift.
Superbri, Where do you get your information?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Only submarines usually deal with hot bunking fast attacks in particular

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

NRA/CRPA Disabled Veteran Life Member
Old 07-11-2011, 8:26 AM

OP, the only credit I got for my time in the Irish army before joining that of the US was that I got to carry over my jump wings. Other than that, your prior experience just makes it easier for you to pass (though in my case I needed to unlearn the GPMG to switch to American processes) and when you're in Basic you get a detached view of the mind games as they don't work on you any more. (I also got a little more slack from the DSs.)

I also work in IT, but I went into tanks. From my perspective, I work in front of a computer keyboard five days a week, on my weekends, I wanted to blow stuff up. Your IT skills may not go unnoticed, and it's usually mentioned on the "additional skills" box of my OER, but it really isn't all that important. Even if you do get into a signal position and work on stuff you've known how to do for years, expect to be put through the training course again anyway, with all the other privates.

NTM
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

[QUOTE=echo6cavedog;6747653]GMG, I think it's something the Navy started after 2001. Has to be because I've never heard of it.

I can remember one evening underway standing a wheel watch, the officer of the deck told me to go below and wake up the next watch (midnite to 4 am).

Upon arriving in 3rd. div. I found two guys in the same bunk.

Now that's what I would consider as a hot bunk!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
You'll need to be a US CITIZEN. In your case, a Naturalized US Citizen, if you're thinking about any IT related Air Force MOS or Navy NEC. As they require you to maintain a minimum Secret Clearance. Permanent Resident Alien can get you in, but that's about it.
This is incorrect.

One can join as a resident, however you will not be able to get a security clearance until you do obtain citizenship.

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Good for you man, and thanks for stepping up to serve your new country. Best of luck!!
Old 07-11-2011, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrm View Post
This is incorrect.

One can join as a resident, however you will not be able to get a security clearance until you do obtain citizenship.
Isn't that what he said?

NTM
Old 07-11-2011, 4:41 PM
CGN Contributor

^^^ Give the guy a break. He's Army.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
^^^ Give the guy a break. He's Army.
Easy killer

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.