Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2011, 8:23 PM
whipkiller's Avatar
whipkiller whipkiller is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,397
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default Added some horsepower to the Marlin

Shotgun hulls fear me now...

Put the WallyWorld cheapo Bipod on last week, and added a Barska sight today - 4 x 28 Electro Sight w/Red or Green reticles, one of the features I liked about this one is that the cross hairs are still visible without power on.

Now to go learn how to sight it in. I've never done it before; any tips or tricks?

Last edited by whipkiller; 01-05-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2011, 8:24 PM
Jyruiz's Avatar
Jyruiz Jyruiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: La Mirada, CA/Lake Havasu, AZ
Posts: 2,050
iTrader: 24 / 96%
Default

That looks nice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2011, 9:09 PM
whipkiller's Avatar
whipkiller whipkiller is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,397
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyruiz View Post
That looks nice.
Thanks, I'm hoping if it eats all it's vegetables and gets lots of exercise, it will grow up to look like the one in your signature pic
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2011, 9:10 PM
7.62 Charlie's Avatar
7.62 Charlie 7.62 Charlie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California
Posts: 390
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

How do you like the sight? It looks pretty nice on that marlin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2011, 9:29 PM
Jyruiz's Avatar
Jyruiz Jyruiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: La Mirada, CA/Lake Havasu, AZ
Posts: 2,050
iTrader: 24 / 96%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
Thanks, I'm hoping if it eats all it's vegetables and gets lots of exercise, it will grow up to look like the one in your signature pic
Thanks, that's my AR-15, gets expensive to shoot so I am getting into rimfire a lot more.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2011, 7:19 AM
whipkiller's Avatar
whipkiller whipkiller is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,397
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Charlie View Post
How do you like the sight? It looks pretty nice on that marlin.
Can't really say yet as I haven't shot it, but of the cheapos that I was looking at this one appealed to me the most. Some of the red dots I was looking at were great in the store but as soon as I pointed them out the window (towards bright sunlight) dot go bye-bye.

This one still has the cross hairs whether or not you have the power on, which I like.

I haven't shot scoped rifles very much, and as such I suck at quick target aquisition, and this one didn't seem too bad. We shall see.

I post up a review once I get to shoot it.

I was a little worried it wouldn't look quite right on the 795 but I'm likin' it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2011, 8:56 AM
MaHoTex's Avatar
MaHoTex MaHoTex is offline
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Isola di Linosa
Posts: 4,431
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

To sight it in just get a big piece of paper (posterboard maybe?) at 25 yards. Shoot at the center and see where it hits...

Adjust up/dn/lt/rt from there. Easy stuff really. Then move the target out to 50 yards and repeat. Should not take more than 30 minutes.
__________________
NRA Life Member

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM
whipkiller's Avatar
whipkiller whipkiller is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,397
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
To sight it in just get a big piece of paper (posterboard maybe?) at 25 yards. Shoot at the center and see where it hits...

Adjust up/dn/lt/rt from there. Easy stuff really. Then move the target out to 50 yards and repeat. Should not take more than 30 minutes.
Thank you sir, I figured that's about all there is to it.

I guess I'll do the 25 yard indoors, and have to wait 'til we go out in the real world again to push it out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2011, 1:26 PM
whipkiller's Avatar
whipkiller whipkiller is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,397
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

So I went to the range by my house last night and gradually got this thing zero'd pretty well. It was shooting 7-8" low and 1-2" right out of the box.

Was quite pleased with the ragged hole I was taking out of the bull and all was well 'til I started noticing some flyers... right before the sight fell the hell off my rifle! Fortunately I almost caught it as it fell which caused it to fall onto my range bag rather than straight to the floor, so I think it's okay.

I went home and remounted it, but I'm not real confident in the "bite" that it's getting on the grooved rail on top of the Marlin. I guess we'll see.
Now I have to see if it's even close to zero.

All things considered, I'd say that the night at the range went much better for me than it did for the guy a few lanes down from me, who evidently SHOT HIMSELF IN THE FREAKING HAND!!!

Public ranges frighten me. (Well, more the "Public" part then the "Range" part.)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2011, 1:49 PM
Jyruiz's Avatar
Jyruiz Jyruiz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: La Mirada, CA/Lake Havasu, AZ
Posts: 2,050
iTrader: 24 / 96%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
So I went to the range by my house last night and gradually got this thing zero'd pretty well. It was shooting 7-8" low and 1-2" right out of the box.

Was quite pleased with the ragged hole I was taking out of the bull and all was well 'til I started noticing some flyers... right before the sight fell the hell off my rifle! Fortunately I almost caught it as it fell which caused it to fall onto my range bag rather than straight to the floor, so I think it's okay.

I went home and remounted it, but I'm not real confident in the "bite" that it's getting on the grooved rail on top of the Marlin. I guess we'll see.
Now I have to see if it's even close to zero.

All things considered, I'd say that the night at the range went much better for me than it did for the guy a few lanes down from me, who evidently SHOT HIMSELF IN THE FREAKING HAND!!!

Public ranges frighten me. (Well, more the "Public" part then the "Range" part.)

Yup, plublic ranges are scary, glad it was only his hand and glad he did not hurt anybody else. We always get a private range at Burro cause of that, we police ourselfs really good.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2011, 2:57 PM
Izzy43's Avatar
Izzy43 Izzy43 is offline
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Idyllwild, Ca (in the snow)
Posts: 2,652
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
So I went to the range by my house last night and gradually got this thing zero'd pretty well. It was shooting 7-8" low and 1-2" right out of the box.

Was quite pleased with the ragged hole I was taking out of the bull and all was well 'til I started noticing some flyers... right before the sight fell the hell off my rifle! Fortunately I almost caught it as it fell which caused it to fall onto my range bag rather than straight to the floor, so I think it's okay.

I went home and remounted it, but I'm not real confident in the "bite" that it's getting on the grooved rail on top of the Marlin. I guess we'll see.
Now I have to see if it's even close to zero.

All things considered, I'd say that the night at the range went much better for me than it did for the guy a few lanes down from me, who evidently SHOT HIMSELF IN THE FREAKING HAND!!!

Public ranges frighten me. (Well, more the "Public" part then the "Range" part.)
So go back to the range and rezero the scope. When zeroed take one screw out of the mount and appy some of that "blue" locktite that you took with you to that screw, re-insert the screw tighten down and repeat on the remaining screw/s. Trick is only one screw at a time. Should solve the "scope fell off my rifle issue". Marlin 795s and 60s are known for this issue.

I would remember what the self shooter looked like and leave the range whenever he shows up. If that happened at my range he would never be allowed back. Gun nuts are OK but nuts with guns are not.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2011, 7:17 AM
whipkiller's Avatar
whipkiller whipkiller is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,397
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
So go back to the range and rezero the scope. When zeroed take one screw out of the mount and appy some of that "blue" locktite that you took with you to that screw, re-insert the screw tighten down and repeat on the remaining screw/s. Trick is only one screw at a time. Should solve the "scope fell off my rifle issue". Marlin 795s and 60s are known for this issue.

I would remember what the self shooter looked like and leave the range whenever he shows up. If that happened at my range he would never be allowed back. Gun nuts are OK but nuts with guns are not.
That's good advice (on both the loctite, and the self-shooter)

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-02-2011, 5:25 PM
MSY89 MSY89 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ventura/LA/ SD
Posts: 83
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
Thanks, I'm hoping if it eats all it's vegetables and gets lots of exercise, it will grow up to look like the one in your signature pic
Hahahahaha. Not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-02-2011, 9:05 PM
whipkiller's Avatar
whipkiller whipkiller is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,397
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSY89 View Post
Hahahahaha. Not gonna happen.
Maybe with some 'roids?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:34 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.