Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-24-2011, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Anyone Deal with Cal-Arms in Ontario? How are they and there Prices?
Cal-Arms is a cool place. They took care of my cousin when he bought a few things there.

I asked about them doing the single shot exemption and the answer was -

No they do not at this time.

I think they should be taken off the list on this thread. They said they knew about this and didn't know who said they would do the SSE. I am just posting to let people know.
Old 06-24-2011, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Cal-Arms is a cool place. They took care of my cousin when he bought a few things there.

I asked about them doing the single shot exemption and the answer was -

No they do not at this time.

I think they should be taken off the list on this thread. They said they knew about this and didn't know who said they would do the SSE. I am just posting to let people know.

I posted it. David; the owner, said he would do them.

Now, I've talked to another guy and he says that they won't. I need to talk to David again to see what the deal is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 06-29-2011, 2:46 AM

Default Off-List Pistols from Buds Gun Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Anyone have experience buying off-roster guns from Bud's Gun Shop?
I attempted to buy a Sig P226 X5 Tactical from them, however, they were extremely unhelpful. I talked to Valkyrie Arms prior to ordering from Buds, and they confirmed that they could do the conversion on that Sig, and that Buds ships off-list pistols to them.

After I put in the order at Buds, they put the order on hold, saying that they would not ship off-list pistols to CA. I spoke to customer service, explained that Valkyrie has an 07 FFL, and that they could receive the pistol with no problem. I also explained that they do single shot conversions for roster exemption. The customer service rep said that was fine, and they would transfer me to sales so I could explain to them. The person I discussed it with didn't want to hear it, and insisted it was illegal to even ship the gun to CA, and cancelled my order.

I spoke to Valkyrie again, and they were surprised I'd had this experience, because they had received a shipment of off-list pistols from Buds just that week. They told me they would attempt to contact Buds about my case. However, due to the difference in normal operating hours, they had difficulty getting in touch with them.

I opted to try ordering again with Buds, the difference this time was that I didn't add anything in the comments section about single shot conversions or off-list pistols, hoping they would just send it without any fuss this time.

This time, it was flagged because it shipped with a "hi cap magazine". I spoke to customer service, and explain that it was legal to ship a pistol with a hi cap magazine to an 07 FFL, and that the FFL simply wouldn't give me the mag. They insisted that it was illegal to even ship the gun with the mag to CA. So I requested they simply remove the mag and send the pistol. They said they couldn't do that (but didn't really provide any explanation why). The rep told me to email Brandon to discuss the issue with him, so I did, and got an automated reply which said the expected response time would be within 48 hours.

However, before that amount of time had passed, another rep had updated the order to say that they couldn't ship it to CA with hi cap mags, and to choose a model that came with a different mag (although it's an off-list pistol, there's no 10 rd mag version), and cancelled the order.

I'm hoping Brandon replies and is able to resolve the situation, but given my experience with Buds so far, I find it unlikely that that will happen.

I do not recommend trying to order off-list pistols from Buds, it seems to be quite the hassle.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

It's pretty luck of the draw with Bud's IMO. Valkyrie has a high capacity mag permit right?
Old 06-29-2011, 4:01 PM

Yeah, they have an 07 FFL, they can accept pretty much anything.

BTW, conclusion to the story. Haven't heard anything else from Buds other than that the order was cancelled and money refunded. Meanwhile, DAS here in San Diego was able to order the X5 Tac direct from Sig, and they'll be using a Valkyrie Arms conversion barrel to do the transfer (a friend of mine happened to have one handy, and hadn't sent it back to Valkyrie yet), so it all worked out (no thanks to Buds...)
Old 06-29-2011, 7:00 PM
Banned

For Table Rock, I want a STI and am well aware if the fact that they won't ship to Ca. Do we need to replace the barrel to make it single-shot only OR can we just block and lock the mag to accomplish the same thing? Then it could be shipped to Ca with the exemption. STI doesn't have to know where it will wind up.
Rio
Old 06-29-2011, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

You have to do both.
Old 06-29-2011, 9:12 PM
Banned

Thank you.
Rio
Old 06-30-2011, 9:36 AM

We are a shop in SO CAL called Direct Action Solutions. We are currently doing single shot conversions as well. So far we have the HK45, the FNP-45, AR pistols, Draco Pistols, and most 1911's. If we can be of any help to you guys just let us know.

Our shop is in Solana Beach. Give us a call at 858-436-7088.
sales@directactionsolutions.net, www.sdgunshop.com, Like us on Facebook
SAN DIEGOS PREMIER GUNSHOP SPECIALIZING IN SINGLE SHOT OFF ROSTER PISTOLS

Old 07-05-2011, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Temporary update (07 FFL no longer required + Direct Action Solutions added to the list). Will reformat again shortly.

Last edited by Cyc Wid It; 07-05-2011 at 3:30 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 12:24 AM

I want to buy a NAA .22 Short. I've tried almost all of the FFLs on the list in addition to many others, but I've had no luck yet; all of them don't want to modify it, except for 1, but he wanted to charge me $1,000 for just the work alone. Can anybody recommend me a good FFL that might be willing to do this at a reasonable price? Preferably in the Los Angeles area, but really anywhere is fine.
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms View Post
I want to buy a NAA .22 Short. I've tried almost all of the FFLs on the list in addition to many others, but I've had no luck yet; all of them don't want to modify it, except for 1, but he wanted to charge me $1,000 for just the work alone. Can anybody recommend me a good FFL that might be willing to do this at a reasonable price? Preferably in the Los Angeles area, but really anywhere is fine.
Thanks!
how do you expect them to make it exempt? Its way too short to fall under any of the exemptions.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 PM

If they extend the barrel 4 inches, it'll be excempt. I found a place that could do it, but it was way too expensive. Any recommendations?

Last edited by Firearms; 07-07-2011 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-11-2011, 9:13 PM

Would it be possible to avoid the FTF transfer required for off roster pistols, by converting them to single shot or single action?
Thanks,
OG
Old 07-11-2011, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso grande View Post
Would it be possible to avoid the FTF transfer required for off roster pistols, by converting them to single shot or single action?
Thanks,
OG
Yes. The main point of SSE is to allow for shipped purchase of non-rostered handguns.
Old 07-28-2011, 2:09 PM

TAG!
Old 07-28-2011, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Action Solutions View Post
We are a shop in SO CAL called Direct Action Solutions. We are currently doing single shot conversions as well. So far we have the HK45, the FNP-45, AR pistols, Draco Pistols, and most 1911's. If we can be of any help to you guys just let us know.

Our shop is in Solana Beach. Give us a call at 858-436-7088.

Thank you for being a Leadership FFL.

As long as you toe the line and do things methodically (i.e, don't cut corners on blockage or dimensional compliance) you are covered by CGF if you perchace get harrassed by any agency for this matter [although that seems to have passed, DOJ grudgingly acknowleges legality, and we have agents expressing three different opinions on aspects of the matter in four separate videotapes :-) ]

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-28-2011, 2:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks!

Your problem is not your FFL, it's with your gun - you've picked a difficult gun.

It's simply way too short, and would need an extended barrel to get to the minimum barrel length and min. overall length - and such a barrel is not a drop-in situation.

The only way I could see doing this is to drill out the barrel, tack weld in a long 22 rifled bore liner in (that actually WORKS/fires safely), and then after transfer, chop it and recrown.

This is SIGNIFICANT work and kinda mutilating a quality gun.

Either as a single-action revolver or single-action pistol, it will be hard to make this gun Roster-exempt. Snubnosed 'detective' revolvers are similarly problematic due to the 3" min barrel length / 7.5" min overall length for the dimensional compliance portion of the single-action revolver Roster exemption.

("Single-shotting" a revolver is likely something that is difficult if not possible nor is recommended - unless you can fabricate/install a non-rotating single shot 'slab' chamber to replace the cylinder, which is quite an effort.)

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 07-28-2011, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I want to buy a NAA .22 Short. I've tried almost all of the FFLs on the list in addition to many others, but I've had no luck yet
Well, the problem with that is it's a tiny revolver. So it's not as easy as simply dropping in an extended barrel, locking in a single round magazine in place, and calling it done.

Also, how are YOU going to convert it back?

platforms that already have 6 inch after market barrels, and would meet the 10 inch overall length with said after market barrels are the only reasonable modifications without going crazy.
Old 07-28-2011, 2:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
platforms that already have 6 inch after market barrels, and would meet the 10 inch overall length with said after market barrels are the only reasonable modifications without going crazy.
And revolvers whose actions can be converted to single-action revolvers, and who are already dimensionally compliant in terms of barrel length/overall length.

Changing a barrel on a revolver takes some gunsmithing effort and still can be a ***** on older (valuable, quality) guns so much so that you don't wanna do it.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 07-28-2011, 3:41 PM

News on single shot conversions at DAS:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=460413
sales@directactionsolutions.net, www.sdgunshop.com, Like us on Facebook
SAN DIEGOS PREMIER GUNSHOP SPECIALIZING IN SINGLE SHOT OFF ROSTER PISTOLS

Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Default SOS

Nothings changed. I got all excited about being able to import some DA Smith & Wessons into our great state.
Turns out, nobody's willing convert a Revolver, let alone allow the buyer to do it himself.
So, like so many of our little schemes; this one sinks back down to the bottom of the swamp.

OG

Last edited by oso grande; 08-02-2011 at 8:11 PM..
Old 08-02-2011, 7:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nothings changed. I got all excited about being able to import some DA Smith & Wessons into or great state.
Turns out, nobody's willing convert a Revolver, let alone allow the buyer to do it himself.
So, like so many of our little schemes; this one sinks back down to the bottom of the swamp.

OG
I hate to ask the stupid questions all the time.....

How do you accomplish a single shot revolver? I would imagine it would possibly be more trouble than it is worth. If not, I would love to know as I have a scheming mind too

I have my eyes set on several different Taurus Revolvers. The only stupid thing is out of the bazillion models they have only a dozen or two are on the list!
Old 08-02-2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee00 View Post
I hate to ask the stupid questions all the time.....

How do you accomplish a single shot revolver? I would imagine it would possibly be more trouble than it is worth. If not, I would love to know as I have a scheming mind too

I have my eyes set on several different Taurus Revolvers. The only stupid thing is out of the bazillion models they have only a dozen or two are on the list!
A revolver would be converted to "single action"and thus be exempt.
Problem is...no one does it.
Old 08-03-2011, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Nothings changed. I got all excited about being able to import some DA Smith & Wessons into our great state.

OG
I thought I read in another thread that this was being done. It is a sticky I believe.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
("Single-shotting" a revolver is likely something that is difficult if not possible nor is recommended - unless you can fabricate/install a non-rotating single shot 'slab' chamber to replace the cylinder, which is quite an effort.)
Would buying a replacement cylinder and welding all but one charge hole qualify for "Single-shotting"?
Old 08-04-2011, 5:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalibass View Post
Would buying a replacement cylinder and welding all but one charge hole qualify for "Single-shotting"?
The gun would still need to be dimensionally compliant with 6" barrel and 10.5" OAL.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 08-04-2011, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Wouldn't converting it to a single action be the best way to get a revolver?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBR Works View Post
The gun would still need to be dimensionally compliant with 6" barrel and 10.5" OAL.
Correct. The one I'm hoping for has a 7.5" barrel. Someone mentioned just inserting spent casings with silicone and calling it a day. Would this suffice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Wouldn't converting it to a single action be the best way to get a revolver?
For a good majority of revolvers, but some aren't as easy as the S&Ws. This one for instance: Jim Hauff is a collector of H&Rs and wrote this to me:

"It can be converted to single action only - I've not done it nor am I a gunsmith, but if you remove or grind down the trigger lug projection it should be doable - you need to talk to a gunsmith about this. The H&R linkage allows one action to work if the other is disabled. The single action sear is the part that extends from the rear of the trigger guard as a small lever and is spring loaded to catch the sear notch on the hammer when that is cocked. The double action is a lug on the trigger that pushes the hammer back to achieve sear lock with the SA sear."

I've been told opening an H&R is more complicated that finding the G-spot.
Old 08-08-2011, 9:43 AM

I just completed my transaction with table rock arms and lock & load gunsmithing in Lompoc, ca. Both owners are real stand up guys and made everything really easy for me. I will definitely be back to both VERY soon.

side note: for those of you in the central coast areas, Lock & Load will gladly accept transfers, however even though they are gunsmiths there as well, they just do not feel comfortable doing the single-shot conversion and the transfer.
Old 08-09-2011, 9:19 AM

Anyone know what is going on with Norse Armory in Woodland. Phone is disconnected????

Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-09-2011, 9:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

excuse the possibly dumb question but I'm just not sure after reading the thread...

"- This conversion MUST be done by an 07 FFL, or can be done by a private party (unlikely for them to have the parts) prior to shipping."

Does this mean any off list pistol I buy must go through a middle-man FFL and converted to SS BEFORE being shipped into CA? Or can a 07 FFL in CA receive the pistol as is and then convert it in state before I start DROS on it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Just wanted to chime in to give props to Ryan at Table Rock Arms. He performed a single-shot conversion for my new S&W 1911. I had purchased the gun on Gunbroker, had the seller ship to him, and then he shipped it on to Riflegear. This was my first time buying a gun from Gunbroker and my first time going through the single-shot process, but Ryan made it about as painless as could be. There was a problem regarding the shipping but Ryan acted quickly and professionally to resolve the situation. It's easy for someone to provide good service when everything goes smoothly, but worth a lot in my book when someone goes the extra mile for a customer when stuff goes wrong. He's earned my repeat business that's for sure!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nickatnite1 View Post
[...] Or can a 07 FFL in CA receive the pistol as is and then convert it in state before I start DROS on it?
Yes, if you find one willing to do so. See the list at the top of this thread.
Old 08-10-2011, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nickatnite1 View Post
excuse the possibly dumb question but I'm just not sure after reading the thread...

"- This conversion MUST be done by an 07 FFL, or can be done by a private party (unlikely for them to have the parts) prior to shipping."

Does this mean any off list pistol I buy must go through a middle-man FFL and converted to SS BEFORE being shipped into CA? Or can a 07 FFL in CA receive the pistol as is and then convert it in state before I start DROS on it?

Thanks in advance!
07 FFL is no longer required per the legal beagles, the OP states this as well, I should make it more clear. Note, you should DEFINITELY check with whatever shop you plan to use to make sure they are expecting your item/can do the conversion/are willing to do the conversion etc.

Forum vendor New Frontier Armory has been added to the list.

Last edited by Cyc Wid It; 08-10-2011 at 9:31 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

A+++ to Micheal @ EBR Works in thousand oaks.

They are an 07FFL and will do everything you need *including* ordering whatever firearm you want, renting the kit you need, turnkey, no fuss, no mess.
Old 08-17-2011, 5:59 PM
Banned

Drove down to San Diego area from the IE to D.A.S. Direct Action Solutions to pick up my FNP45 tactical in coyote! Nobody had em' he got mine got a sick deal no BS they carry the unusual stuff. Gonna pick it up in 9 days! can't wait! Give Colby a call their website is directactionsolutions.net Nobody beats these guys and they've got the easy way into single shot exemption with out all the non sense would rather have you guys call than me give the info
Old 08-18-2011, 3:15 PM

New here...thanks for all the info. But can I get a clear, step by step explanation of the entire process? I'm in the market for a Gen4 Glock 17 and live in San Diego. I've never purchased a gun in CA, but transferred several when I moved into this state back in '91.

I know to start with the HSC...what next? (Thanks in advance.)
Old 08-18-2011, 3:40 PM

Any 07FFL in SoCal that will do bull barrel 1911 conversion? I'm thinking STI 5" bull barrel.

I only know of Get a Gun in Bakersfield.
Old 08-18-2011, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totus44 View Post
New here...thanks for all the info. But can I get a clear, step by step explanation of the entire process? I'm in the market for a Gen4 Glock 17 and live in San Diego. I've never purchased a gun in CA, but transferred several when I moved into this state back in '91.

I know to start with the HSC...what next? (Thanks in advance.)
If you want to source the gun yourself, then you find a dealer who will do the transfer and conversion for you from the list. They will probably charge some sort of fee for this on top of the transfer fee. What may be easier is buying the gun directly from the dealer doing the conversion, since you won't have to deal with explaining the process to a vendor who doesn't know about the law. Either way you will then DROS the gun in single shot exempt form. After you take possession, you can convert it back to standard form.