Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Liberty Optics-REMOVED-
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Liberty Optics-REMOVED- Hosted by Scott Berish, Owner of Liberty Optics

Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 PM
CGN Contributor

Default Your thoughts on the Vortex Sparc

I've been nosing around looking for an affordable red dot. The sparc seems to be the bee's knees when it comes to simple, affordable, and durable.

Do you like it? If so why? If not, what would you prefer?

1-4 moa dot . long battery life . no magnification . able to cowitness with front sight

i'd love to hear your thoughts on the sparc vs say an aimpoint mini or comp or even a Vortex Strikefire

thanks for your time

Aaron

Last edited by protoolsnerd; 04-05-2011 at 11:41 PM..
Old 04-06-2011, 8:07 AM

Aaron,

I think this little optic has been well proven over at ArfComm....it's a nice value and has a very low return rate, backed by one of the best companies in the business for customer service. For a compact under $200 red dot not sure what I would choose differently. The only difference between this and the Strikefire is size and controls, IMO. The Strikefire does offer a red/green version that the Sparc doesn't. Aimpoint is great stuff! Expensive but a great choice, well proven in combat. i like the T1 micro

Scott
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Scott's cell number: 406-291-8250
Old 04-06-2011, 8:11 AM
CGN Contributor

In a couple of weeks I'll be evaluating and testing both the Aimpoint T1 and Vortex Sparc in free-land Nevada for a camp and shoot. I'll let you know the results. We are mostly going to do some run and gunning and shoot close to 5-600 yards.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Old 04-06-2011, 8:21 AM

Please post your thoughts here!! Thanks!
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Old 04-06-2011, 5:39 PM
CGN Contributor

Awesome!! can't wait to see how it holds up. Run it through its paces!!

Scott,
I'm a big fan of green dots and reticles. For me , they're just easier to see. Would you personally choose a strikefire over a sparc just for that reason? Where does that dif in price come from? Only the reduction in size ? Same moa size dot? approz brightness , quality of lense... Can the strikefire series withstand those torture tests i've seen. ( sumberging etc )

i hope so, now that's a dot on a budget !!
Old 04-06-2011, 6:23 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

CalGuns has a search button...we have covered this optic a lot in the past... good but not a aimpoint
Old 04-06-2011, 6:30 PM
CGN Contributor

I am actually going to compare between the Aimpoint T1, Vortex Sparc, and the Lucid HD7.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Old 04-06-2011, 8:56 PM
CGN Contributor

Very cool . I hadn't heard of the Lucid HD7 .... kind of like what the sparc is to an aimpoint...but to an ACOG. Can't wait for your review.

ElvenSoul....much obliged for the help using the forum's tools...hadn't noticed the big drop down menu above........Don't really appreciate the tone though. I asked this question as a thread in a specific company's forum because i wanted HIS opinion on this optic. Around calguns Scott has a great rep and having awesome prices and being honest.

The positive contributions from Outta_Control, scott and myself by no means warranted your remark . I like to keep my threads positive and helpful. I have checked out the reviews from other people on the sparc, and overall , yes that's what they say. Its not an aimpoint..... But i'm not looking to spend aimpoint money on my first red dot. I'm not a LEO and i'm not going to be using it in a professional setting overseas.

So please, have something worthwhile to say, and if it's a comment or suggestion , why not be more informative then haughty.

thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 9:34 PM
CGN Contributor

One thing I will tell y'all is that my review will be as objective as I can. I am not going to do a re-hash of other Sparc/Aimpoint review. You can find them on Calguns, AR15, and youtube. I've got my topic down and this will be a run and gun comparison at each RDS. It is easy to do a review when one is on the bench with all the time in the world to shoot but how does each RDS operate under pressure, on the move, acquiring the target, and more.

Please don't expect the review as soon as I get back. Be patient and I hope y'all like my format of the review.

George Orwell

Last edited by Outta Control; 04-06-2011 at 9:39 PM..
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Will there be pie charts... graphs ..... DIAGRAMS TOO?!

ps. nice screen there. I used to do av at a big hotel in miami , setting up fastfold screens and big eiki projectors .... ah those were the days.....sniffle

Last edited by protoolsnerd; 04-06-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Old 04-07-2011, 2:29 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Sorry if I came off as a a++....I have two Vortex Sparcs one on my VZ58 and one on my Draco Pistol. Very happy with the optic on these platforms. I have a Lucid on a AR. For the hell of it I tried the Lucid on a Ak with Ultimak Rail...way too high and front heavy. For AR the Lucid wins (that is what it was designed for)...anything else the Sparc.
Old 04-07-2011, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoolsnerd View Post
Scott,
I'm a big fan of green dots and reticles. For me , they're just easier to see. Would you personally choose a strikefire over a sparc just for that reason? Where does that dif in price come from? Only the reduction in size ? Same moa size dot? approz brightness , quality of lense... Can the strikefire series withstand those torture tests i've seen. ( sumberging etc )

i hope so, now that's a dot on a budget !!
You know, good questions that I don't really have the answers for. I'm not a "red-dot guy" to be honest. Optically, they are pretty much all the same to me. Some are clearer than others but most have a tint to the optics, like smoke, rose, or green. Dots can be orange, yellow-amber, red or green. Tube style or heads up reflex style. By all accounts, the tube style are simple and easy to make from a manufacturer's perspective. It comes down to quality of components and quality control.

As for the green reticle, Trijicon agrees with you and the feedback on the strikefire tells me the red/green model dot actually can be tough to see quickly in a sunny environment, very bright conditions. That's why they made the red-dot only..specially tuned optics for maximum brightness in the day

Scott
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Old 04-07-2011, 3:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Awesome thanks Scott! In the very near future i'll be getting a dot for my ar. You'll be my first stop.

Now worries Elven. It's easy to fire off a post and not really think about how other people will read it. I'm guilty of that myself . Thanks for the opinions on the sparc and the Lucid. Def going to have to do some more research and maybe sell some old gear.

It'll be interesting to see what outtacontrol has to say after the testing.
Old 04-09-2011, 2:39 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

As far as tritium goes...I tired a red tube when I rebuilt my SUIT Scope...it was to bright...went to a green and perfect.
Old 04-11-2011, 6:57 AM

Sparc is a nice optic. Its good for the price but doesn't feel as rugged as Aimpoint. I do like that Sparc has all of the hardware you need for $200 including mount. My main complaint with the Sparc is the bikini lens cover broke (they sent me a replacement one for free) and just generally feels flimsy. I'll probably end up replacing that cover with some flip covers...
Old 04-11-2011, 7:15 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceDay View Post
Sparc is a nice optic. Its good for the price but doesn't feel as rugged as Aimpoint. I do like that Sparc has all of the hardware you need for $200 including mount. My main complaint with the Sparc is the bikini lens cover broke (they sent me a replacement one for free) and just generally feels flimsy. I'll probably end up replacing that cover with some flip covers...
Butler Creek #4 flip-up covers my friend.

George Orwell
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
CGN Contributor

How's that review going? Shoot me a link when you write it.... thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 6:15 AM
CGN Contributor

"you talking to me?" I just finished an intro video last week and will be off to the proving grounds on Friday. Weather seems to be an interest during testing phase as it looks like showers are predicted on Saturday and I am all for it. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

George Orwell
Old 04-12-2011, 7:16 PM
CGN Contributor

Ooooh video review ..... ahhhh what a modern world we live in!! Psyched!
Old 04-13-2011, 3:19 PM
CGN Contributor

LOL! So here is a rendering of our non-product intro. Still needs tweaking but this is just as a teaser.

George Orwell
Old 04-13-2011, 4:03 PM

Nice work! Don't forget to add the "t" in "enhusiast"
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Old 04-13-2011, 4:06 PM
CGN Contributor

LOL it is there.

George Orwell
Old 04-19-2011, 7:26 AM
CGN Contributor

Just wanted to give y'all an update on the test. Saturday was great day to get some testing done and wanted to do a re-test to make sure I cover the goals that I've set for comparison plus do some video but unfortunately Sunday we encountered 50+ mph winds that prevent the video portion. We did, however got the testing done. SO with out the video portion (except for the Tannerite portion) what specific question do y'all have for me.

George Orwell
Old 04-19-2011, 1:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Wow where to start.....

could we get an overall thoughts for each optic , like a little paragraph.

Oh NICE VIDEO...i'm a sound fx editor myself , if you ever want any sound work done on it.

Is the HD7 worth it over the sparc. Did they hold zeros....which one failed if any and how..... i mean ..... if you asked if i had questions my and would be YES hehe
Old 04-19-2011, 3:06 PM
CGN Contributor

I ask because all of the one's I've done the evaluation held their zero very well. So the setup testing course consisted of a timed run and gun course.

It is starts off with "back towards the range" start, turn and 2 shots @ a 25 yard target, sprint run to the 25 and a 2 kneeling shot at the 50 yard target, stand, and do a shoulder transition to shoot at the 167 yard target, do a shoot and move towards the 50 yard, and finally a 3 prone shot to the 167 yard target.

So here is the breakdown.

Lucid HD7:
Pros: Selectable reticule, very rugged of all, well priced
Cons: Heavy for a RDS, Battery life, only 1/3 co-witness

Comments: I've had this RDS for a while now but on my test I approached this as a new sight to be compared. This thing is heavy when doing activities such as a run and gun maneuver. After 3 runs through the tac course the weight it added to my rifle felt like a brick. You sometimes have the tendency to look through this unit as if it is a scope which is not designed in the first place. Another is you loose peripheral vision around the sight due to its large scope like profile. Some of the good point were that it was more durable than the others and the reticule brightness was more pleasing on the eyes than the rest. I love the ability to change reticule to suit your needs to the type of environment you plan to use it such as a circle-dot for CQ, single dot for farther engagements. I would say that the Lucid HD7 would be great for more of a hunting/bench shooting activity with the occasional tactical carbine class use.

Aimpoint Micro T1:
Pros: Lightweight, Very long battery life, slim tube design
Cons: Expensive, cap covers, bikini covers, only one mount which seems to be designed more for shotgun use.

Comments: Aimpoint has been considered the leader in RDS technology but it doesn't mean it is the best. It is expensive. I ran through the T1 with the same tactical course three times just like all the rest and this products keep me in check on my surrounding targets with its slim body design and this was the only sight that gave me the best, tightest group out of the rest. If you have read about complaints about the T1 being a 4 MOA rest assured that if decrease the intensity you can get close to a 2 MOA dot while still able to see it during a bright sunny day. The issues I had with the T1 is that they are expensive compared to the rest I mean it is more than double the price and honestly feel it is over priced for what you get. Another issue I had with the T1 are those proprietary adjuster covers. You lose them you can't adjust the sight. I guess Aimpoint relies that you would do a Ron Popiel and "set it and forget it" once you'd done with sighting. I would recommend the T1 if 1) money is no object, 2) do three or more tactical training courses a year to justify the cost, 3) you want the cool factor. I personally would not use the T1 for hunting. Though you could but the for that price point there are other better choices.

Vortex Sparc:
Pros: Well Priced, light weight, multiple mounting options, NV (Night Vision) option comes standard, cabled cap covers
Cons: NV button, bulky left control panel, bikini caps

Comments: First off all of the products that I tested are very durable and held their zero very well. I looked at the Sparc with the expectation that it would holds and built as well as the others and like the AR15 thread on the torture test of the Sparc it does perform very well. The ability to make the choice of either mounting the unit for an absolute or 1/3 co-witness is a breeze and to add that the adjustment caps are tethered to the body is a great way not to loose those small caps. Looks like Vortex studied their Aimpoint T1 competition and did their homework very well at a great price point. The issues I had with the Sparc is the left mounted control console. It is bulky though it may not look it but once you do some RAG (run and gun) a few times and trying to do situational awareness while acquiring your target you loose about 1/4 of your field of view next to your primary target. In a more tactical term, if you are engaging a targets side by side you would loose track of the left target when you are aiming at your primary target. The best way I can describe it is a ghost-like effect on the adjacent target. Another issue I have with the Sparc when doing a RAG is for some reason the NV (Night Vision) button seems to get pressed by my MOLLE gear and when you try to acquire your target the red dot is no where to be seen. So the first reaction you do is move he gun around to find the reticule and when you realize that you can't find it you think 1) the unit is broken or out of battery or 2) the NV is engaged while during that time you loose your target or loose time if you are in a 3-gun challenge. Finally the Sparc also has the issue with the bikini caps just like the T1. There is nothing wrong with them except that they seem to be easy to be broken or loss. The good news to this is what the AR forum Sparc review has noted that to get a pair of Butler Creek #4 flip-up caps. I have this on the test and they work great but seem to move around when the unit gets warm under the sun. The Vortex Sparc is a great unit if you are on a budget for a RDS. It is durable enough for tactical course use but if you are planning to do more than two courses a year then I would advise to save up and go with the T1. For hunting and bench shooting the Sparc is great but you would not have the ability to choose your reticule like the Lucid, which is a very nice feature.

So I hope this has been informative for you to make a decision based on what you want out of an RDS. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good Luck.

George Orwell

Last edited by Outta Control; 04-21-2011 at 10:46 AM..