Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

View Poll Results: Can You Attend This Event
Yes! 90% of winning is showing up! 46 31.72%
No - But I can make it to the after party. 4 2.76%
No - I can't make either. 95 65.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2011, 7:29 AM
Banned

Bump, two from the Central Valley are attending, there's room for more if you want to ride with us.
Old 03-14-2011, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

If it's not too hot, maybe I will wear slacks, a shirt and tie instead of a polo & dockers.

Weather is not too hot, but still too hot for a coat.

"You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
voiceofreason
Old 03-14-2011, 9:51 AM
Banned

According to weather.com, a high of 69, partly cloudy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
If it's not too hot, maybe I will wear slacks, a shirt and tie instead of a polo & dockers.

Weather is not too hot, but still too hot for a coat.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

I intend to be there, probably by train from Orange County.

I assume the CGF volunteer network wasn’t activated because this is technically a CCRKBA event.…
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Edison is really nice bar that has strict dress code. You need to be dressed and no tennis shoes!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
So you are one of those losers that dodge responsibility? Just pay the $1000 fine, you deserve it!
Yup, I'm one of those
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

I'm not technically coordinating this, but I am aware of some of the back end stuff. . .

On the day of the event, please feel free to call or text me at 415.843.1776 if anyone has any questions about "where people are," or "where are we supposed to meet," or "who's doing what," etc. . .

I'll do my best to find out - and respond!

ETA: PLEASE INDICATE YOUR SCREEN NAME AND REAL NAME. I don't want to have "Brady" or someone text me and me tell them exactly what we will be doing!!! That would be OPSEC FAIL.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMendez View Post
morning everyone. 50 some odd hours til kick off. Call on your CalGuns buddies who are hiding in the OT. ITS PARTY TIME!
Hmm, I daresay that Neil licking some female reporter's hair on camera is not the image we want to project. Although I'd buy the DVD

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post
I intend to be there, probably by train from Orange County.

I assume the CGF volunteer network wasn’t activated because this is technically a CCRKBA event.…
Correct. CGF also doesn't do lobbying, it's a 501(c)3 - it's not in their charter.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Shall Not Be Infringed!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Other than get more people to show up, is there anything we Calgunners can do to help?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

By the way, don't we need a permit for a protest?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

YES - please make sure that anyone who does show up (and it looks like there will be a LOT - since this thread isn't the only place where volunteers are being sought) - looks NICE!!!

We absolutely cannot have anyone showing up looking like it's SHTF day! No camo, no guns on t-shirts, etc. . .

We need to make sure that the crowd looks nice and neatly dressed, and is well behaved, and friendly. Not to say we can't get rambunctious. BUT reporters are more likely to give us a favorable story if they see us for the likable and law abiding diverse community that we are. . .

This means that we smile! And why not? We are winning the gun rights battle, not only here in California, but nationwide.

EDIT: also please note that the first post in this thread says "Gene Hoffman will speak to the press." Gene is very good at expressing things in a way that makes sense to people who need to be educated on the issues. He's actually the best, IMHO. What this means in plain English is that we will let him do the talking to the press. The event will make more sense to the press if there's a single voice.

SO: I'm asking everyone to please just let Gene do what he does best. Here is why:

REPORTER (with leading question): "If you think guns are good, what about assault weapons?"

WELL MEANING GUN OWNER (trying to be funny): "Yes, I think they are great for home defense."

The resulting headline then reads: "Protest Group Advocates for Machine Guns in Every House"

I know it's funny - but it's the kind of stuff that happens at media events. . .

WE KNOW we are law abiding.
WE KNOW we are diverse.
WE KNOW self defense is a right.

BUT - the press doesn't know this - and they WILL seek to spin this in the most interesting way possible. As you know, with a few narrow exceptions, you can't even GET machine guns, AND an "assault weapon" is the same as any other gun, mechanically, and operationally.

The problem with gun rights stuff in the MSM is that press people do not understand that there are already TONS of laws that ensure public safety, and that certain terms actually do not mean anything. It's not possible to educate super quickly on sound-bites - so certain things are better left for longer discussions.

BUT ALL IT TAKES IS ONE SINGLE WRONG SOUND BITE TO SCREW THINGS UP.

You will note that I had to add about 200 words to this post, just to clarify things. That's because the press is probably reading this thread. Once you go public on stuff - you need to be real careful!!!!

So let's just let Gene handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgripside View Post
Other than get more people to show up, is there anything we Calgunners can do to help?

Last edited by oaklander; 03-14-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
By the way, don't we need a permit for a protest?
We're not blocking streets. We should be ok.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default Can attend but need a ride.

OK brothers, I am willing to attend in support of our cause, but I have a small issue, I'm a recovering stroke patient. Physically I'm OK to attend, but will need a ride because my Drivers license was suspended as a result of my medical condition. If another Calgunner is attending from the South Bay area I can ride along with. I'm just south of LAX in El Segundo, right off of the end of the 105. If someone is willing to allow me ride along, I'm ready and willing to stand in support. PM me if you can do this.

SCMA-1

"Wherever I Walk,
Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

Wherever I Am,
Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

Whenever I Return Home,
Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
- "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey
Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 PM

Looks like I'm in, and will be taking the Metro from Norwalk.

I'm assuming if there's moving to be done at the event (going from protest to afterparty, etc) I'll be able to get a ride? Wife'll need the car at work.
Old 03-14-2011, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

I just noticed this. I'd love to be there, but I'm carless (Corolla took its last dump last week) at the moment. I'm in Hemet, so the public transportation route would be a nightmare. If anybody is heading out from this area, I'd love to hitch a ride (I'll pitch in for gas).
Old 03-14-2011, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
YES - please make sure that anyone who does show up (and it looks like there will be a LOT - since this thread isn't the only place where volunteers are being sought) - looks NICE!!!

We absolutely cannot have anyone showing up looking like it's SHTF day! No camo, no guns on t-shirts, etc. . .

We need to make sure that the crowd looks nice and neatly dressed, and is well behaved...
Well crap.... you had me until there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 03-14-2011, 3:03 PM
Calguns Addict

We need some of these:

So we can identify the people we've talked crap to and avoid them.....

J/K

For the farm show, I worked with people for 2 days not knowing their SN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 03-14-2011, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

im there. where should I park? I will be coming from sherman oaks if you need a ride from the valley let me know just do it today tomorrow not last minute.

Last edited by Yugo; 03-14-2011 at 3:40 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Parking is available at on SE corner of E. 2nd, cross N. Main. This is a private lot literally surrounded by LATimes facility & employee parking. Private lot, chain link fence between sidewalk & lot. Mgmnt 213-629-3263

Alternatively - if you are interested, I need volunteers to hog space in front of two parking meters to ensure that we have a place to park our truck for the press conference. They would have to arrive before 9AM and stay until 11:30, whereupon the truck would take the spots.

NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by jdberger; 03-14-2011 at 4:07 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 4:32 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgripside View Post
So aggressive. I like it. I think we still need a second person for parking.

Can anyone help these two calgunners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
I just noticed this. I'd love to be there, but I'm carless (Corolla took its last dump last week) at the moment. I'm in Hemet, so the public transportation route would be a nightmare. If anybody is heading out from this area, I'd love to hitch a ride (I'll pitch in for gas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMA-1 View Post
OK brothers, I am willing to attend in support of our cause, but I have a small issue, I'm a recovering stroke patient. Physically I'm OK to attend, but will need a ride because my Drivers license was suspended as a result of my medical condition. If another Calgunner is attending from the South Bay area I can ride along with. I'm just south of LAX in El Segundo, right off of the end of the 105. If someone is willing to allow me ride along, I'm ready and willing to stand in support. PM me if you can do this.

SCMA-1
Old 03-14-2011, 4:40 PM
In Memoriam

I'll be there! Looking more respectibibile than I ever have in my life.
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.
Old 03-14-2011, 5:02 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
I'll be there! Looking more respectibibile than I ever have in my life.
STOP THE PRESSES!
STOP THE PRESSES!

Old 03-14-2011, 5:37 PM

c'mon LA peeps. Lets get to the magic 50 calgunnies.

meh...

NRA Endowment Member
Old 03-14-2011, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I can be there at 9:30am I have red cones I can save 2 extra spots, does it matter where in the parking lot? I just dont want to get there before and then you guys not park where I save them. Just dont make me waist my time. please pm me with info or post to thread.
Old 03-14-2011, 6:01 PM
Banned

There's two parking issues here:

1) We need some people to park "on the street" in front of meters in front of the building - this is to save a spot for the truck. . . I'll probably be one of the folks doing this - but we need backups.

2) There is a private off-street lot for the rest of us to park. That is where everyone else should park. No need to save spots there, and they won't let you anyways.

It's awesome that you are coming - and please spread the word - and let other shooters you know - know about this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
I can be there at 9:30am I have red cones I can save 2 extra spots, does it matter where in the parking lot? I just dont want to get there before and then you guys not park where I save them. Just dont make me waist my time. please pm me with info or post to thread.
Old 03-14-2011, 6:17 PM

I'm going to try and make this event to show support and help out any way I can. I won't know until early in the A.M., though.

I'll try even harder if Gene's going to use this opportunity to unveil his high-cap mag work around in front of the press. and shove it in the face of the Anti-gun crowd, so to speak

Just imagine it. After explaining the facts to the reporter, Gene hands another Calguns member a 30 rd mag with a receipt saying, "This is only the beginning, gentlemen" while LAPD officers stand idly by, jaws dropping open. Concurrently, up in Sacramento, a process server has just served the CA DOJ with THE lawsuit which was filed earlier that morning.

In the meantime, we'll have to drop everything else, since we must post bail for Gene. Mustn't we?

Come to think of it, it might be wiser to keep a lower profile on this development, since thing seem to be heating up in DC.
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 03-14-2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:

No need to save spots there, and they won't let you anyways.
Maybe they might if they are paid for at the time and names were given to the attendant, if there is one ???? Just a thought..
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 03-14-2011, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

ill bring a few cones just in case.
Old 03-14-2011, 6:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The spots that we are reserving are on the street. That said- the cones might come in handy.
Old 03-14-2011, 6:36 PM

I wish we could go, but we have a tax appointment at 10:00am in the SFV we made at the beginning of the year.

I wish I could see Gene in action!!

Good luck everyone!

Eric
Old 03-14-2011, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
The spots that we are reserving are on the street. That said- the cones might come in handy.
ill be there at 9am cones in hand just in case
Old 03-14-2011, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
I don't recall there being any street parking at the Spring street side of city hall.
Old 03-14-2011, 7:35 PM

I gave it a shot today but I unfortunately can't get out of the tests I have on Wednesday. I really wish I could attend but I just couldn't make it happen on such short notice. Give 'em hell everyone!

-Brandon
Old 03-14-2011, 7:45 PM

Quote:

1) We need some people to park "on the street" in front of meters in front of the building - this is to save a spot for the truck. . . I'll probably be one of the folks doing this - but we need backups.
I'll be metro-ing in that morning, but I was thinking of showing up early anyways. You guys mind some company?
Old 03-14-2011, 7:52 PM
Banned

The moar the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettoPhilosopher View Post
I'll be metro-ing in that morning, but I was thinking of showing up early anyways. You guys mind some company?
Old 03-14-2011, 8:00 PM
Banned

One question Oak, When will this take place in downtown San Francisco? Not to hijack the thread but???
Old 03-14-2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
The moar the merrier!

Woot, I'll text you that morning. 9am? Or earlier?

Just to clarify, I *shouldn't* wear my Raptor Jesus costume/open carry an AK/scream and foam at the mouth, right?
Old 03-14-2011, 8:13 PM

My wife agrees with me that this issue is important enough to lose a days pay. Like many other families, we can't really afford it, but giving up our 2A rights would be a greater loss.

We'll be there!
Old 03-14-2011, 8:28 PM

I'll be there xD

I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually
-James A. Baldwin