Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions > Shotgun Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun Gallery Post pictures of your scattergun here.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM

Default Saiga 12 conversion finished

Thanks to Adam at Peach State for the great deal and excellent customer service. Got mine for $565+ mag lock though it looks like hes getting them out even cheaper now!

This is my first experience with the AK platform and I think it turned out pretty well. Some notes... the Krebs rear ghost ring was tough to get started, took a lot of hammering to get into place. I couldnt get the factory rear sight out with a 3 lb hammer, was scared I was going to break something and had to cut it out. The optional receiver block mounting hardware (10/32 screws) from CSS did not fit. I had to cut them all in half as the front ones hit the grip nut, and the rear holes were at an awkward angle when tapped all the way through the reciever block. This isnt necessary, you can put plastic plugs over the old trigger pin holes, but I thought the added security couldnt hurt. I had to get creative with the trigger guard. I cut most of the front portion off the stock unit, drilled a hole in it, and drilled and tapped the OC armory mag lock. I found that when I tightened the screw, it pulled the mag lock rearward. My solution was to use a piece of the triangle shaped factory buttstock mount that gets cut off during the reciever block install. It fits perfect, and braces the mag lock nicely. Its more secure now than before the conversion, no play at all when inserting a "tool" to release the mag. If you look close you can see the bottom tang of the factory buttstock mount was also used to support the underside of the mag lock arm. Not pretty, but it works! Greg at CSS has an excellent video on youtube of the fire control group reassembly. I found that the bolt hold open lever rubs on my index finger, I may end up cutting it down a bit.

Last edited by Twinkies; 08-10-2009 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 PM

looks sweet, hopefully you took it out to the range. how long did it take to finish?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM

thanks, was just about to PM you about this..
Was too busy with other stuff this weekend.. will try to make a trip to
Iron Sights sometime soon but dont have a day off work for another 2 weeks.
It looks like its a 3 port gun, hard to see the front two ports from the front of the gas tube, but Im hoping itll work fine w/ the gunfixers plug for 7 1/2 shot wal mart bulk packs once its broken in.

It took about two nights after work to do it.. 8 hrs or so total. If I did another it would probably take less than half that.

Last edited by Twinkies; 08-10-2009 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned

very nice work. Very creative on still using the o.c. armory mag lock after the conversion.
Old 08-11-2009, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
thanks, was just about to PM you about this..
Was too busy with other stuff this weekend.. will try to make a trip to
Iron Sights sometime soon but dont have a day off work for another 2 weeks.
It looks like its a 3 port gun, hard to see the front two ports from the front of the gas tube, but Im hoping itll work fine w/ the gunfixers plug for 7 1/2 shot wal mart bulk packs once its broken in.

It took about two nights after work to do it.. 8 hrs or so total. If I did another it would probably take less than half that.
Looks Great, do you have any closeup photos of how you rigged up the mag lock, I have several PM's from guys on here wanting our converted Saigas and I don't have a mag lock that will work. You can email pictures if you don't want to post them, my email is adam@peachstateguns.com.
Thanks
Adam
Old 08-11-2009, 3:10 PM

nice work, pm sent.
Old 08-15-2009, 7:40 AM

very nice.
Old 03-19-2010, 9:12 PM

how much money total did you spend? details please and how long did eash conversion and upgrade take? thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 AM

Its been a while.. I probably spent 400-500 on parts for it. The Krebs sights and the Tromix w/limbsaver stock being the priciest items.

And... I dont know how long it took for each individual step.. that was over 7 months ago and I can hardly remember what I did yesterday. Allow me to quote myself..

Quote:
hope that helps

Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM

thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 9:37 AM

Got around to taking some updated pics.. upper handguard added, forward grip moved back a bit.
Round count well over 1,000 and running great.
I still need a Polychoke.. And a new camera!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 AM

what handguard is that?
Old 04-04-2010, 7:52 PM

upper handguard (gas tube cover) is from cobra's custom on the S-12 board.
The lower is just the factory unit with some holes drilled.

Old 03-01-2011, 7:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

nice
Old 03-13-2011, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks to Adam at Peach State for the great deal and excellent customer service. Got mine for $565+ mag lock though it looks like hes getting them out even cheaper now!

I found that the bolt hold open lever rubs on my index finger, I may end up cutting it down a bit.

Looks Great! Great idea with the supplied mag lock. I bought mine at Peach State Adam Rocks.. Very Helpful Great customer service..

Same issue here with the bolt hold open I just haven't trimmed it yet, I trimmed mine down on my Saiga 223 damn thing kept getting in the way

Couple things you might want to consider for future use.

You need to put a piece of metal where you attached your mag block to stop the safety from rotating past the receiver.
CSS has a good trigger guard that comes with it.

Second.. Go with the Solar Tactical Mag block... Just in case you go out of our state and want to have freedom again.

Here are some pics of the mag block on my S-12

They are a blast to shoot all my friends want one after seeing it pump out the rounds..