Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-11-2011, 1:23 PM

Default Joining the French Forgein Legion

Hello,

I'm considering joining the FFL due to my background. I tried joining nearly all branches of the U.S armed forces but was disqualified for past criminal history offenses and the recruiters didn't want to put in the effort for a waiver. My reasoning concludes that when i will return after the 5 year enlistment, i will have a new identity and will have served in one of the most prestigious armies in the world. I'm am rather nervous of joining the FFL and flying half way around the world to Paris, France to be recruited for selection. Not to mention i will have to re-nonce my U.S citizenship and essentially have to re-earn it back after 5 years.

Please let me know what your thoughts on this are. I feel like this is my only chance of moving forward with my life, everyone including my family laughs at this idea.

Last edited by Cactuscooler; 03-11-2011 at 1:29 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

And the second you have to get a security clearance, have a background check run for a job, etc. that new identity wont mean anything.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 03-11-2011, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
And the second you have to get a security clearance, have a background check run for a job, etc. that new identity wont mean anything.
True given the totality of my circumstances, i'm sure they'll look past it once they see i was motivated to become a legionnaire. I'm not sure what efforts the FFL goes to give you a new identity per-say. I know that you can pick any name you want, and they erase any background you have i'm assuming.
Old 03-11-2011, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
True given the totality of my circumstances, i'm sure they'll look past it once they see i was motivated to become a legionnaire. I'm not sure what efforts the FFL goes to give you a new identity per-say. I know that you can pick any name you want, and they erase any background you have i'm assuming.
They cannot erase background. All they can do is provide you with a new set of papers to match the name you have chosen.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 03-11-2011, 1:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm not trying to be an ******* though lately it has become natual but... I wish you luck on whatever venture you want to persue in life and hope you follow your dream but.... if you renounce your US citizenship, dont come back.
Old 03-11-2011, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
I'm not trying to be an ******* though lately it has become natual but... I wish you luck on whatever venture you want to persue in life and hope you follow your dream but.... if you renounce your US citizenship, dont come back.
We'll apparently i have no choice, since i'm no good to my country anyways. Not my fault every american citizen, doesn't get a god given right to serve. I didn't make the rules.
Old 03-11-2011, 1:44 PM

You can start a new life as a French Citizen. Ballsy move dude, go for it.
Old 03-11-2011, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Unlike the past, it's tough to get into the FFL now. They don't just take anyone anymore.
Old 03-11-2011, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
We'll apparently i have no choice, since i'm no good to my country anyways. Not my fault every american citizen, doesn't get a god given right to serve. I didn't make the rules.
Its fine man. If thats what you really want. Those guys are pretty badass in the FFL. I just dont like the whole renouncing your citizenship part and although youre intentions are not the same as some hippy college kid wanting to run to Amsterdam, I am saying the same thing about the renouncing the citizenship part. People join the service for various reasons. If you wanted to join to serve YOUR country then you have a better heart than roughly 80% non combat arms guys I have met. If you want to serve your country, you wont be serving your country over there fighting for a different one. Its a pretty ****ty hand and I'm sorry and from your motivation you would do well. There are a couple of Army and Guard recruiters here, maybe you can ask them about it? Chuckbooty is a Guard recruiter and Cavtrooper is a former Active Army recruiter. Both follow the Army guidlines. Maybe the recruiters you've talked to in the past were just lazy so talk to these guys and they'll tell you weather its possible or not.
Old 03-11-2011, 2:28 PM

Do what you gotta do....just don't mess it up!
Old 03-11-2011, 3:52 PM

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...Foreign-Legion

Good read, start with post #6. I'd pass. Just cause you can't get in doesn't mean you're a bad person.

Oh and if you check the last page you don't loose you're citizenship, unless we go to war w/France.

Last edited by Fspeed; 03-11-2011 at 4:01 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 3:56 PM

It's tough to get in and once you're in it's tough to survive. But I've only heard good things from those who made it through!
Old 03-11-2011, 5:12 PM

PM me with your criminal record... if it's waiverable, I'll run it.

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 03-11-2011, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

As long as U are not a convicted Rapist or Murderer U pass the 1st criteria. Your Criminal background check will be done thru Interpol.

Getting a new Identity is Optional, not mandatory.

If U get injured real bad in combat the FFL takes care of their own.
They got a vineyard in Southern France operated by ex/maimed Legionnaires.
Old 03-11-2011, 6:04 PM

This is amazing i say do it if yo can't get in to the service here!! I wanted to join but I had a asthma attack in the last 5 years and after age 15 so us won't take me I wonder if anyone will?? Maybe the FFL?
Quote:
Hello,

I'm considering joining the FFL due to my background. I tried joining nearly all branches of the U.S armed forces but was disqualified for past criminal history offenses and the recruiters didn't want to put in the effort for a waiver. My reasoning concludes that when i will return after the 5 year enlistment, i will have a new identity and will have served in one of the most prestigious armies in the world. I'm am rather nervous of joining the FFL and flying half way around the world to Paris, France to be recruited for selection. Not to mention i will have to re-nonce my U.S citizenship and essentially have to re-earn it back after 5 years.

Please let me know what your thoughts on this are. I feel like this is my only chance of moving forward with my life, everyone including my family laughs at this idea.
Old 03-11-2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjunkie View Post
As long as U are not a convicted Rapist or Murderer U pass the 1st criteria. Your Criminal background check will be done thru Interpol.

If U get injured real bad in combat the FFL takes care of their own.
They got a vineyard in Southern France operated by ex/maimed Legionnaires.

I'm definitely not any of the above, just have some skeletons in my closet. I find it depressing that our Government/ and Military doesn't allow individuals to repute. I want to serve, believe me it's not about the money. It's about developing myself into something honorable, to correct for my past mistakes. To serve honorably and protect members of your community, being part of something bigger than yourself.

Last edited by Cactuscooler; 03-11-2011 at 6:16 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Hello,

First of all your blaming recruiters for not wanting to "put in the effort for a waiver." YOU made the choice to commit whatever crimes you did and were convicted in a court of law, however biased or corrupt people want to think of the justice system. Second, it is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege. Like I said above, you made your bed, now sleep in it. I'm all for second chances but when you start blaming other people for your mistakes and start making claims that you have a God given right to serve a country that "your not good enough for", well you definitely have the wrong attitude. Your mere comments about my country's military and how its everyone else but your own fault show your immaturity and your going to have a hard time in whatever military outfit you end up in.
Old 03-11-2011, 6:17 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
unless we go to war w/France.
Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 03-11-2011, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrm View Post
Dude! Did you see this?
Old 03-11-2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
First of all your blaming recruiters for not wanting to "put in the effort for a waiver." YOU made the choice to commit whatever crimes you did and were convicted in a court of law, however biased or corrupt people want to think of the justice system. Second, it is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege. Like I said above, you made your bed, now sleep in it. I'm all for second chances but when you start blaming other people for your mistakes and start making claims that you have a God given right to serve a country that "your not good enough for", well you definitely have the wrong attitude. Your mere comments about my country's military and how its everyone else but your own fault show your immaturity and your going to have a hard time in whatever military outfit you end up in.
I'm not criticizing our Military. I accepted what I've done as my mistakes I'm just upset that there isn't a chance to repute for anything you've done anymore. I'm taking full responsibility for my actions, believe me. I know they don't want me as a recruit. So i feel tossed aside as a undesirable character, anybody you talk to about me now, will attest to my character. Never did i once attack the Military, i just disagree with the administrative policies they have in place. Big Difference! So please get off your high horse sir!

Last edited by Cactuscooler; 03-11-2011 at 6:26 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

ATF Form 4473 (The one you have to fill out to buy a gun)

Question 11 J:

Quote:
Have you ever renounced your US citizenship
Could be a problem.....

Who knows, once you get out in the world you might find that the good ol USA isn't the paradise you've been led to believe it is you might not even want to come back. Good luck, life's what you make. Sounds like you might be in for an adventure.
Old 03-11-2011, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjunkie View Post

This information is very, very inaccurate.

Quote:
Old 03-11-2011, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Second, it is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
This is an absolutely awesome statement.

Quote:
Old 03-11-2011, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I'm all for second chances
Sure you are.
Old 03-11-2011, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Hello,

and will have served in one of the most prestigious armies in the world.

The FFL has not been that good since the Waffen SS left. Have you seen the history of the FFL...The only thing they do is die in place, and they do it well...

Thanks but no thanks...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is an absolutely awesome statement.
Sig material i would say

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)80% lower non - polymer
Pre 1924 preferred (Not Arsenal Refinished)
3)S&W 686+ anything between 686 to 686-4
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 03-12-2011, 12:15 AM

You have to consider as well, its the times. Medical Conditions and backgrounds that were waiverable 3 or 4 years ago don't cut it anymore simply because the economy collapsed and everyone that was military aged that was finding it hard to get a job ran to the military for the security while at the same time the military was trying to downsize.

I got turned down by the Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard before I walked into an Army Guard office and even still it took a waiver to get me in, but if you have that drive to serve then don't just quit because "the recruiter was too lazy to run a waiver."

I have found in my short military career that persistence is everything. If you want something in the military its quite possible it will take you a few tries to get it, but if you quit you have just against the Warrior Ethos, those ideals that soldiers are supposed to live by.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm not criticizing our Military. I accepted what I've done as my mistakes I'm just upset that there isn't a chance to repute for anything you've done anymore. I'm taking full responsibility for my actions, believe me. I know they don't want me as a recruit. So i feel tossed aside as a undesirable character, anybody you talk to about me now, will attest to my character. Never did i once attack the Military, i just disagree with the administrative policies they have in place. Big Difference! So please get off your high horse sir!
You are on Calguns, a gun board, I'm thinking you own guns legally. Whatever you did can't be that bad. And do yourself a favor and take the MP up on his offer to run your back ground and see if waivers are possible.
A new kid to the FFL is stationed in the desert, after a few months he feels a lustful call and asks one of his fellow soldiers what to do, the soldier tells him to do what the officers do and use a camel. He says no way but after 2 more months he cant stand it and his friend finds him behind a building loving a camel. His friends says what are you doing? He say's, you told me the officers use a camel, his friend says yes, to go to town and buy a woman. lol
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 03-12-2011, 4:38 PM

I've looked into this heavily in the past. I'm almost positive you don't need to renounce your citizenship. When you join the legion you are issued a new identity or you may join with your current one if you choose. Upon leaving the legion you can get back your old identity or continue to live with your new one. Furthermore, if you so choose to you can apply to be a french citizen after 3 years, although only under your real name.

Furthermore, the legion is no picnic. It is going to suck, and suck hard i guarantee it; assuming you can get in (meeting physical, medical, criminal, and other requirements) Furthermore, contrary to popular belief the legion does do background checks, depending on how bad your rap sheet is, you may not be able to get in.

IMO, if you really want to go for it, do it. No guts no glory, it takes a good size sack to do what your considering. Furthermore, should you choose to, you can retire after 15 years of service. However, id greatly weigh your options for moving forward in life in a civilian fashion, because this life path your considering is going to suck. Go to school, always a great option. In addition, consider how much you enjoy life in America as an American. Ive lived in Europe for nearly 6 years now and you will miss America.

What ever your decide, good luck.

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/faq.php?SM=0

^ official web site
Old 03-12-2011, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by develown View Post
I've looked into this heavily in the past. I'm almost positive you don't need to renounce your citizenship. When you join the legion you are issued a new identity or you may join with your current one if you choose. Upon leaving the legion you can get back your old identity or continue to live with your new one. Furthermore, if you so choose to you can apply to be a french citizen after 3 years, although only under your real name.

Furthermore, the legion is no picnic. It is going to suck, and suck hard i guarantee it; assuming you can get in (meeting physical, medical, criminal, and other requirements) Furthermore, contrary to popular belief the legion does do background checks, depending on how bad your rap sheet is, you may not be able to get in.

IMO, if you really want to go for it, do it. No guts no glory, it takes a good size sack to do what your considering. Furthermore, should you choose to, you can retire after 15 years of service. However, id greatly weigh your options for moving forward in life in a civilian fashion, because this life path your considering is going to suck. Go to school, always a great option. In addition, consider how much you enjoy life in America as an American. Ive lived in Europe for nearly 6 years now and you will miss America.

What ever your decide, good luck.

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/faq.php?SM=0

^ official web site
Maybe i am going ahead of myself. I know it will not be easy, I've spoken to Zorrm the recruiter about my issue. He said that enlistment requirements change every month. So i will keep an eye out for that. I think being stuck in this idle mode sucks regardless, so i understand i'll have to make a sacrifice no matter what. That's how you move ahead and progress.Also i need to change my PT training regime, i don't think cross fit,lifting weights and running alone will just cut it. I think i'll buy that plane ticket to Paris,France when all my options are exhausted. I'm not wanted fugitive from justice, nor am i thief. Just made some bad choices.

Thanks everyone who has factual insight into this. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Cactuscooler; 03-12-2011 at 5:20 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM

Personally, the idea of wearing the uniform of a foreign army is repugnant. Mistakes or not, you are an American. Being an American means you live free, and many men have fought for you to be free. If you live your life well, you honor their sacrifice. Be productive, get married, have children, and live your life with honor. Accept the gift.
Leave the french foreign regiment to people who come from lesser countries with fewer options. Let them shed blood for france and wear pom poms, leather aprons, and march with the axe.

Last edited by bridgeport; 03-12-2011 at 11:00 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
No. You chose you break them
Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
It's about developing myself into something honorable, to correct for my past mistakes. To serve honorably and protect members of your community, being part of something bigger than yourself.
Did you do your time on probation or whatever sentence you got? If so, then you have paid for your past mistakes (even though they may trail behind you for years which means you will continue to pay).

Joining the military doesn't automatically make you "honorable"... I like to think of myself as honorable and I wasn't in the military.

French? I thought you wanted to serve, not learn how to surrender at will. LOL

I am with the other poster about renouncing your citizenship; if you do, don't come back. Especially after doing it to join the French.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Keep in mind that military posts, for the most part, are in places most people wouldn't live if they were handsomely paid.

The FFL occupies places even worse.

Did you see the thread linked above. It mentioned a guy who tried to escape to SOMALIA. How totally craptastic is your life if you seriously consider going to Somalia?

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Hey man wanna run mine??? I'm having the same problem with out the whole FFL in mind.
Old 03-13-2011, 5:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sounds like it may be a fun experience
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009_224-027.jpg (36.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-13-2011, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Insurgent View Post
Hey man wanna run mine??? I'm having the same problem with out the whole FFL in mind.
Sure thing, PM me with your record.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

wise words, sage advise.

I know the Vietnam guys didn't get much love back in the day, I was a bit to young at the time, I joined in 79. But from one vet to another, thanks for all you did. Two tours is/was ballsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseeyes View Post
Oh where to begin?

1. What do you mean by "nearly all" branches?

2. Do you speak, read or write French?

3. What are you really saying when you say: "will have served in one of the most prestigious armies in the world" ? In your mind, what makes the FFL so prestigious, what do you hope to find or be able to accomplish? Are you looking for some kind of ego centric hero thing?

4. There are many ways to serve your country, your State, your community, and your fellow man, without running half way around the world to learn how to kill your fellow man. As a two tour Viet Nam Vet, I know this all too well.

5. Frankly, I think you need to quit watching all of the old black & white war movies on the Turner Classic Movies channel.

6. After reading all of your posts, I am more inclined to believe that your mental state is maybe more of an impediment to your being accepted into our military than your questionable criminal background.

7. You imply that you have a dedication and passionate need to serve your country; however, when met with a "road block" to doing so, you want to run off and learn how to kill for the FFL? You want to hide behind a new, yet false identity? You are willing to renounce your U.S. citizenship? Your logic is more than defective and non-existent, I think it is completely fraudulent. The old FFL was known to accept and even recruit mental misfits, so long as they wanted to fight and kill. The new FFL is a bit more selective. . .with your apparent mind set, I don't think any real military would accept you into their ranks.

When you take the "L" out of GLORY, you have a true picture of war. Which one are you really seeking?
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 03-13-2011, 9:26 AM

In the specops forum I ran into a story of a soldier.He wanted to be sf but was disqualified. He then tried for RASP (ranger) and was also disqualified) Needed like 3-4 waivers. He kept pushing for his waivers in the army and went over and tried to see if he could get into BUDs. It was looking great for him had recommendation of several seal recruiters and then last minute 1 of the waivers was declined and he was DQd. Throughout the whole process he has continuously kept working out and his dedication to serving finally payed off as he was able to enlist with the help of a congressman , while not in a spec op role. This process was over 2 years long and he put in TONS of work.

If you truely wanted to serve that bad I don't see why you cant do the same. Dedication and Persistance!

Good Luck!

Quote:
Second, it is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 03-13-2011, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

go for it