Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 8:59 PM

Default Lake Isabella

The Kern Valley club is open every day. Membership is $30. a year. There is no fog here. President is R. B. Frazier 760-378-2047 rbfrazier@earthlink.net. Steel plate and paper targets.
Old 01-13-2011, 1:23 PM

I'd like to give a +1 to Ole Boy Outdoors. Not only is the indoor range absolutely top notch in my opinion, but they are a fine gun store and pro shop as well. I've bought two firearms from the friendly bunch there (my XD and my Citori). The staff is helpful and they really know their stuff.

That said I have also burnt a lot of powder at 5 Dogs. The trip is always fun and the folks there are friendly. Definitely stay for lunch and get the hot dog...well worth the 3 bucks.

If shotgun sports are your thing, the Kern County Gun Club out by Buena Vista Lake is an awesome facility with a number of areas for trap, skeet and sporting clays.

I've also had a lot of fun driving into the National Forest and setting up things to plink at in various places, or in driving into some of the BLM land on the west side of the valley as well. If you are going out there to shoot though, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick up your empties and police your mess. Let's try to leave the wilder lands like we found them so everyone can enjoy them.

Colt 1911 Government Series 80 .45ACP, Remington 700 SPS .308, Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 ga., Ruger SR-9, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Single Six, Winchester 9422 .22WMR, Frankenstein's AR-15 (16" carbine), Browning Citori White Hunter 12 gauge, Remington 870 Express Tactical 12 gauge, Browning Buckmark Camper .22 lr, Springfield XD 9mm, Remington SPS Varmint .22-250 with Nikon Monarch 5-20x scope.
Old 01-14-2011, 9:01 AM

Thank you for the kind words about Ole Boy Outdoors bum. We are all shooting and hunting enthusiasts, and I have yet to run into a "know-it-all" since I have been on staff.

Old 01-14-2011, 1:25 PM

Hey man, you guys are great. Can't wait until you get your rental guns. I want to try out one of those FNPs

Colt 1911 Government Series 80 .45ACP, Remington 700 SPS .308, Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 ga., Ruger SR-9, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Single Six, Winchester 9422 .22WMR, Frankenstein's AR-15 (16" carbine), Browning Citori White Hunter 12 gauge, Remington 870 Express Tactical 12 gauge, Browning Buckmark Camper .22 lr, Springfield XD 9mm, Remington SPS Varmint .22-250 with Nikon Monarch 5-20x scope.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 PM

We should have our rentals by the first part of next month.

We start shooting AR's and such this Tue and Thu from 4:30 to 7:00!!! Should be fun.

Old 01-17-2011, 3:43 AM

Does Ole Boy work on a membership plan? How much does it cost to shoot there?
Old 01-19-2011, 6:49 PM

Sheepdog. For insurance reasons, we do work on a membership plan. Memberships start at $35 a year (pay as you go plan) on up to the all inclusive family plan for $275 (every member of the household over 18 is a member and paid up for the year as well as their guests). We have memberships for LEO's and Military personnel as well as for our mature crowd......

Come on in and see me. I'm in the back at the range masters den almost everyday!

Last edited by Slabsides; 01-19-2011 at 6:51 PM..
Old 01-24-2011, 9:23 AM

Default Ole Boy ROCKS!

Thanks! I DID come in and it looks like a great range. VERY well laid out, comfortable and well lit. I look forward to joining. Next time I will try to catch you there...
Old 01-25-2011, 6:44 AM

Sorry I missed you Sheepdog. Look forward to meeting you next time. You should try to swing by tonight. We allow rifles from 4:30 to 7:00 every Tuesday and Thursday! It is very cool to see a bunch of AR's and such having at it in an indoor range!!

Old 01-27-2011, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabsides View Post
Sorry I missed you Sheepdog. Look forward to meeting you next time. You should try to swing by tonight. We allow rifles from 4:30 to 7:00 every Tuesday and Thursday! It is very cool to see a bunch of AR's and such having at it in an indoor range!!
Man I have been wanting to get over there to your new place, all I hear are
good things.
Old 01-31-2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepunisher View Post
Man I have been wanting to get over there to your new place, all I hear are
good things.
Glad the reviews have been favorable. All of our shooters seem to be having a great time. Get on in here punisher and check it out!

Old 02-07-2011, 7:45 PM

Looking forward to checking out Ole Boys. Have you guys got your rental guns in yet?
Old 02-07-2011, 9:09 PM

I was there yesterday and they don't yet. But the range master they'll be in this month. Can't wait
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Slim....when were you here? I wish you would have introduced yourself. Next time make sure you say "HI".

You are correct. I have 62 handguns on the way. 2 AR's. 2 S&W M&P .22's, And who knows what else..

It's getting fun.

Old 02-08-2011, 1:33 PM

I was the guy that showed up at the beginning of the game. Looking forward to shoot again when you guys get your rentals in. I'll make sure to say hi next time
Old 02-08-2011, 3:34 PM

Please do.

Old 02-08-2011, 9:04 PM

Slab, do you guys sell AR stripped lowers?
Old 02-09-2011, 3:31 PM

We sure do. I don't know the details but one of the guys up front could help you out for sure.

Old 02-24-2011, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate View Post
Man I wish I would have seen this post earlier. There is a great BLM shooting area about 30 miles west of Bakersfield just outside Maricopa right before the Carrizo National Monument. In fact just went out there with my brother recently.

You need a truck or something with a little bit of a ground clearance and you are good to go.

Its almost always empty but it's as close as you can get to an outdoor shooting range without having to pay a fee.

Pick up your trash if you do go.

PM me for better directions.
I visit Bakersfield once or twice a year and would like to take my cousin out shooting. I'm not there often enough to justify joining a range, so would like to find some legal spot out on BLM land.

Can you PM the better directions to this location to me?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Finally made the decision to get a membership at Ol Boy yesterday. Absolutely fabulous experience. Never been to a indoor range before and this was my first experience. Was really, really, happy with the experience there as not one employee in the shop or the range master had anything other than encouraging words and a positive attitude.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTerry View Post
Finally made the decision to get a membership at Ol Boy yesterday. Absolutely fabulous experience. Never been to a indoor range before and this was my first experience. Was really, really, happy with the experience there as not one employee in the shop or the range master had anything other than encouraging words and a positive attitude.
I have not shot there yet but I bought an Arsenal SGL at the end of January from them. I gotta tell you they are great people to buy a firearm from. Im not going to bash other gun stores, I'll just say I have a FFL guy as we almost all do and the only gun stores I'll go to here In town are Valley Gun and Ol Boy Outdoors, I hear Ten Percent up In Taft Is good too. Ive never shot at an Indoor range so I think I'll give them a try. Can't wait till they get that store filled up!
Old 03-12-2011, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTerry View Post
Did they receive their rentals yet??
Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim/// View Post
Did they receive their rentals yet??

I didn't ask, had my own M&P with me and just wanted to see how things went.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 AM

We are starting to get our rental fleet in. H&K USP 40, Glock 30, 23, and 19 along with the Saiga 7.62x39.

More rentals to follow.

Old 04-07-2011, 4:17 PM

Looks like Ole Boy Outdoors got some Rental Guns in! Woohoo!

Quote:
Rental Guns Now Available with Membership :

Glock 19 9mm
Glock 23 40 S&W
Glock 30 45ACP
H&K USP 40 40 S&W
LWRC R.E.P.R. 308
LWRC M6A2 68
Saiga AK103

(Must use our ammo at all times)
More options coming soon... Stay tuned!
Taken from their Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/oleboyoutdoorsinc
Old 04-11-2011, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
wow not many places to shoot LOL

I do know of a place up in Tehachapi that I have seen pictures floating around on the internet.

There used to be a place out past Buttonwillow just west of the Aqueduct that was decent and now that is closed.

Then theres a place to go over off of Bena road heading towards caliente just past the dumps.

Other then 5 dogs theres nothing other then BLM land as far as I know. Hopefully some others will be able to chime in on this topic as I am interested to know as well
where where i never seen one there give me their website
Old 04-22-2011, 4:19 PM

I went to Carrizo Plains (BLM west of bakersfield, north on Soda Lake rd.) yesterday and found another great spot out there to shoot. I took a dirt road on the east side of the canyon this time and made it back in there in my BMW with no problems.

Unfortunately, I was approached by a gentleman, and I believe his son, who have cattle grazing out there. He very respectfully asked me not to shoot any of his water containers that the cattle drink from. At first, I was a bit insulted until he explained that some hunters shot the heck out of his water containers the day before and he had been repairing alot of holes. I explained that I would never do that nor do I condone that behavior. It's the jerks that destroy property that give us responsible shooters a bad name. It's also the same jerks that get shooting/hunting prohibitted on public lands.

The rancher was extremely polite and I reassured him that my buddy and I had no intention of damaging any property.

All in all, we had a great shoot in a great spot and left it as clean as we found it. There was no previous trash to pick up so it was clean when we got there.
Old 05-21-2011, 8:35 PM

Brand new Calguns guy here. I am a 5th grade teacher at a local elementary school. I really don't have any friends that are in the firearms hobby and am look for places to shoot and guys to shoot with. I just got my first handgun (Ruger SR9) a little over a week ago. I got some great training from Slabsides over at Ole Boy and am now a member of the range there. The range is very nice and everyone seems very professional. It is also only abut 10 minutes from my house which is a huge plus. However, I am looking for a decent, LEGAL, outdoor site where I can take my two sons and teach them the ropes on my 10/22 without the loud booms of the indoor range. If you have a good spot please PM me. I am also hoping to get out to 5 Dogs in a couple of weeks once school ends and I am on vacation.
Old 05-22-2011, 8:08 PM

Come on out and Shoot IDPA with the guys at Taft IDPA in Taft or the guys at Bakersfield IDPA at 5 dogs. or BOTH! In Bakersfield there is also a great group of USPSA shooters.
Old 07-23-2011, 9:22 AM

In case some of you didn't know, we started our Ole Boy Outdoors Indoor Shooting League last month. Our next match is next Thursday, the 28th of July. "The All American". First prize is a RIA 1911! Come in and see me for more details.

Also, the July NRA Home Firearm Safety class (offered by your truly) will be held here on Tuesday the 26th of July. I still have a few seats available.

Old 08-27-2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabsides View Post
I found out today that Ole Boys' now allows rifles all day Saturday now to compensate because they started closing on Sundays due to lack of business on Sunday (hopefully, just on Sunday.)

I'm not a 2nd Amendment trasher and have no hard feelings against them, but I have to say that Ole Boys has gone out of their way to make me feel welcome in their beautiful, new facility and I haven't shot at 2nd Amendment since they opened. I am concerned about their new policy of closing on Sundays and hope it's not an indication that they aren't making it money-wise. If you haven't been there, you should give it a try. It's just off Allen Road about a mile north of Rosedale Highway, give or take.

Ole Boys' Outdoors
12556 Jomani Dr Suite A
Bakersfield, CA 93312

BTW, I have no affiliation with this company and do not know any of them personally. They're just doing a good job and I feel kudos are due to them.
Old 08-28-2011, 5:00 PM

i have to second that, ole boys has always treated me right and always had what i needed except an abundant supply of wolf 7.62 that i require lol. i do hope that ol boys will cater to the black rifle crowed more, stalking stuff like mag locks, kydex grips and rebuild kits in the future.

i will absolutely not shop at 2nd amendment anymore. their arrogant comments have pushed me away from ever shopping their again.

back on topic though, i do occasionally shoot out by tupman. i take stockdale highway west out of bakersfield past the 5fw, and take the first left afterwards towards the tule elk reserve, fallow the bend until you run into a T in the road. take a left(south) and go down towards the first canal which should be an offshoot of the kern river, take the dirt road west on the north side of the river and fallow it down to the bridge. from there in for about a mile you can shoot and have no problems. ive been out there and shot with sheriffs, CO's etc. normally there are targets setup and brass galore for the reloading guys.

Last edited by bjonesgtaw; 08-28-2011 at 5:04 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 1:59 PM

Thanks again for the kind words folks.

We were bummed about closing on Sundays, but after 6 months, and only a handful of customers/shooters, we had to make the tough decission.

SOOO, We shoot rifles and shotguns as well as handguns on Saturdays, as well as Tue, Wed, Thu 4:30 to 7:00pm.

Look forward to seeing y'all out here.

Wayne

Old 08-30-2011, 4:09 PM

@slabsides are there any restrictions on the shotgun ammo? I know for the rifle you have to buy your guys' right?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb0886 View Post
@slabsides are there any restrictions on the shotgun ammo? I know for the rifle you have to buy your guys' right?
Rifle and Shotgun as well. We did a lot of tests with different loads and found that 00 thru 4Buck and slugs were our best bet, so that is what we require. Bird loads tore things up too much.

We stock in plenty of ammo for 12, 20, and some 410 at the range counter.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 AM

slabside, whats going on with your 7.62x39 ammo prices? its getting up there in price, i asked about buying wolf and was told you never have sold WOLF brand ammo? ive bought it from you guys plenty of times in the past.
Old 09-11-2011, 2:00 PM

+1 for ole boy outdoors too! took my 15-22 there and got it bore sighted for free, nice people, amazing range even though i have yet to be in it. lol. i gotta check how much i can get .223 ammo for my AR, so maybe i can get a membership.
Old 09-11-2011, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjonesgtaw View Post
slabside, whats going on with your 7.62x39 ammo prices? its getting up there in price, i asked about buying wolf and was told you never have sold WOLF brand ammo? ive bought it from you guys plenty of times in the past.
+1 Bring back the Tula!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Hey guys. We sell the Tula 7.62X39 and 7.62X54. The 7.62X39 runs $7.95. We also stock in PMC .223 for $7.95 aswell.

We used to stock Wolf in at the old shop, but the boolits are not compatable with our range material, so we stock Tula.

Old 09-15-2011, 6:21 PM

^ can we bring in the brands you guys sell / know you can use or the range or is it strictly your pmc? thanks