Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-10-2011, 8:16 AM

I walked in my application on 1/5 and was told by the female officer (Walker? Walkley?) who took it that the next step would be that THEY would contact me. I signed nothing per instruction and they collected no $.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw View Post
I walked in my application on 1/5 and was told by the female officer (Walker? Walkley?) who took it that the next step would be that THEY would contact me. I signed nothing per instruction and they collected no $.
Did they issue you a receipt of the application?

The problem is that there are 2 deadlines which have to be considered, and a lack of a signed application means it remains incomplete and uncertified.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Did they issue you a receipt of the application?

The problem is that there are 2 deadlines which have to be considered, and a lack of a signed application means it remains incomplete and uncertified.
Nope. No receipt. And I asked about a receipt and was told that they only issue receipts if an exchange of funds takes place, and since they told me to not sign it and to not pay them any money at that time ... no receipt. I thought it was peculiar, and am now beginning to get a bit worried about my application getting "lost in the shuffle".
Old 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Nope. No receipt. And I asked about a receipt and was told that they only issue receipts if an exchange of funds takes place, and since they told me to not sign it and to not pay them any money at that time ... no receipt. I thought it was peculiar, and am now beginning to get a bit worried about my application getting "lost in the shuffle".
Assuming ElDo is now "friendly", probably not, but I'm curious about this odd system of acceptance. I hope you kept a copy for your records and took copious notes with persons/times/etc.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-10-2011, 2:45 PM

My buddy works for the jail as a detention aid. He just applied for a renewal. The records clerk sent his app back to him via inter-department mail and said he needs to supply proof of employment and a letter from his supervisor. Is that stupid or what? This just happened 2 days ago.

So I would say its safe to assume that our process has not changed yet, in fact it has worsened. I also beleive that there is a lack of training in the records dept which is why some have trouble and some do not. Also, the head clerk that over saw the ccw program just retired, so it may be a while untill their process is corrected. The new Sheriff takes his office soon. Hopefully it will be rectified than.
Old 01-11-2011, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Assuming ElDo is now "friendly", probably not, but I'm curious about this odd system of acceptance. I hope you kept a copy for your records and took copious notes with persons/times/etc.
EDSO requires a quick appointment to go over your application with you prior to "submittal". Is essentially a 15 minute review or help filling the application out so there are no mistakes.

Myself and several folks have seen this process and it has gone very smoothly and the deputies are polite and pleasant. The process has changed ALOT. Including most importantly "personal protection" being the only good cause required.

Keep in mind the new Sheriff is just that...brand new. Sheriff D'agostini will need time to rettrain his staff in cases where they are not following the new and streamlined procedures. This SO office has been doing things one way...the wrong way for a long time.

Get down to the records office and ask for an interview. Fill out the standard CAL DOJ CCW application appropriately so when you get your interview you are just reviewing it. No questions have been asked during this interview regardng cause, background, need, etc...they only seem to be making sure it is filled out accurately so it doesnt get kicked back. This is very fast and polite.

Who knows, in many cases, after this, you may not be required to even get interviewed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Also, don't forget, bring a slower friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
i was hoping for a 1911. very disappointing. it's like you are getting ready to have a threesome with jessica alba and scarlett johansen and finding out they're both dudes...
Old 01-11-2011, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogxtz View Post
My buddy works for the jail as a detention aid. He just applied for a renewal. The records clerk sent his app back to him via inter-department mail and said he needs to supply proof of employment and a letter from his supervisor. Is that stupid or what? This just happened 2 days ago.

So I would say its safe to assume that our process has not changed yet, in fact it has worsened. I also beleive that there is a lack of training in the records dept which is why some have trouble and some do not. Also, the head clerk that over saw the ccw program just retired, so it may be a while untill their process is corrected. The new Sheriff takes his office soon. Hopefully it will be rectified than.
I met with the Sheriff last night and he is in process of re-educating his staff as quickly as possible. Keep in mind he has only been in office 1 week. He IS one of the good guys so please be patient if you have an experience like this. it will change quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Also, don't forget, bring a slower friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
i was hoping for a 1911. very disappointing. it's like you are getting ready to have a threesome with jessica alba and scarlett johansen and finding out they're both dudes...
Old 01-11-2011, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom16Fan View Post
EDSO requires a quick appointment to go over your application with you prior to "submittal". Is essentially a 15 minute review or help filling the application out so there are no mistakes.

Get down to the records office and ask for an interview....

Sorry for the dumb question. Is the records office mentioned above at the SO HQ in Placerville, or is it the county Public Records office?

Thanks.

Last edited by sacto929; 01-11-2011 at 8:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM

^^^^^

Not dumb question at all. You want to go to the records office at the Sheriifs station NOT the county records building next door.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 AM

I returned from my application submittion appointment an hour ago... Great Experience... The EDSD was very kind and easy to do business with. Make sure to bring cash or check since they don't take CC or Debt. It costs $125.

They told me that it will be 4 weeks and that there is not a second interview, they will conduct the BG and then they will call me back to pick up my permit.

Regardless if it's a requirement or not I plan on taking Socom16Fan's training course just to cover some sort of law that i may not have known and to get more comfortable with a CCW.
Old 01-11-2011, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Tell your buddy to tell them no, and have him contact me if they refuse him service.

Old 01-11-2011, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexster View Post
I returned from my application submittion appointment an hour ago... Great Experience... The EDSD was very kind and easy to do business with. Make sure to bring cash or check since they don't take CC or Debt. It costs $125.

They told me that it will be 4 weeks and that there is not a second interview, they will conduct the BG and then they will call me back to pick up my permit.

Regardless if it's a requirement or not I plan on taking Socom16Fan's training course just to cover some sort of law that i may not have known and to get more comfortable with a CCW.

That's great news. Do you happen to have a phone number to set up the appointment?
Old 01-11-2011, 2:24 PM

Submitted my renewal app today to EDSO. Was told that in 2-3 weeks they would call to set up appt to come pick up permit.
Deputy at records counter said the new sheriff is officially: (a) not requiring the 3 character letters; and (b) going to consider personal protection = good cause.
Fee for renewal was $82 in cash or check only.
Old 01-11-2011, 3:55 PM

Will he issue permits for non-residents working in county?

Old 01-12-2011, 8:51 AM

For those interested in applying, you need to schedule an appointment.

1. Call the EDSO @ (530) 621-5655 and ask for the Records Desk. They will schedule you for an appointment (right now, they're a week out, but that will increase soon...).

I didn't see this until this afternoon...EDSO CCW Online Appointment Scheduler

2. At the appointment, they will take and review your DOJ application, take your picture and finger prints, and conduct an interview. As was stated before, at that appointment, they will collect a non-refundable fee of $125.

I just got back to the computer after stopping in to drop off my application. The deputy did a cursory review, then scheduled me for an appointment and gave the application back to me with the information above.

The deputy was very pleasant and helpful. I think that they are in the midst of rolling with the policy changes right now.

I hope this helps for others in need of the info.

Last edited by sacto929; 01-12-2011 at 1:05 PM..
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Wildhawker,
Thank you very much Wildhawker, I will tell him. As of yesterday it appears that the problems are starting to get corrected per Gray Petersons post in the 2a thread on El Dorado CCW. It may take the Dept. a while to catch up and update. I saw that today the online ccw app still shows Kollars as Sheriff and requires the 3 letters.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=383229

Last edited by Hogxtz; 01-12-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the great update.

For the first appointment, do you fill out sections 1-3 (read sections 4,5) and stop there? Do you bring your weapons to the first or second appointment?

When do you take a CCW class - anytime before the second appointment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto929 View Post
For those interested in applying, you need to schedule an appointment.

1. Call the EDSO @ (530) 621-5655 and ask for the Records Desk. They will schedule you for an appointment (right now, they're a week out, but that will increase soon...).

2. At the appointment, they will take and review your DOJ application, take your picture and finger prints, and conduct an interview. As was stated before, at that appointment, they will collect a non-refundable fee of $125.

I just got back to the computer after stopping in to drop off my application. The deputy did a cursory review, then scheduled me for an appointment and gave the application back to me with the information above.

The deputy was very pleasant and helpful. I think that they are in the midst of rolling with the policy changes right now.

I hope this helps for others in need of the info.
Old 01-12-2011, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konata88 View Post
Thanks for the great update.

For the first appointment, do you fill out sections 1-3 (read sections 4,5) and stop there? Do you bring your weapons to the first or second appointment?

When do you take a CCW class - anytime before the second appointment?
The deputy didn't make any mention of either training classes or weapons inspection. I'm sure they'll cover that in the initial interview.

I filled out the whole thing minus the signatures. I figure that any notes the interviewing deputy might make will be in addition to my answers to the questions.

PS--I modified my last post to include the link to the really cool online scheduler for appointments. Thanks be to Gray Petersen for his post in the main section.
Old 01-12-2011, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyoga View Post
Looks like the commitee did a good job. Did the concept of "good moral character" get defined yet?
No. I doubt that anyone wants the responsibility of setting a definition on that phrase.

Quote:
Assuming ElDo is now "friendly", probably not, but I'm curious about ...
Just know that once Sheriff D'Agostini gets settled in and has an opportunity to train his personnel on the changes, things will be "very friendly". Remember, it's a government agency. Also, keep in mind that CCW policy is one of many important agendas that the Sheriff has to spend time on. We're very fortunate that things are changing this quickly. If anyone requires the process to be perfected, then wait a couple of months before applying. Otherwise, roll with it, keep a good attitude and be grateful that we have someone in office who supports our point of view, who listens and who's making supportive/positive changes on behalf of this highly controversial issue.

One last thing, a big thank you is in order to Brandon, Gray and many others who I don't know, for pressing on despite the opinions or view points of the Sheriff's and Chief's of Police. This is a big fight and these guys have dedicated their time and efforts to make every county and city in California a more CCW friendly place. Thank you very much fellas!
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area

Last edited by ccwtrainer; 01-12-2011 at 2:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2011, 5:05 PM

Thumbs up I now have an appointment!

Many thanks to all who provided valuable, sobering advice and encouragement about being patient and rolling with the flow of things. I called the EDSO Records Office today to ask for an (initial) appointment and was later contacted back by the Officer who originally took my application on 1/5. She was very polite and helpful; I am sure they are working very hard over there to effect the changes quickly and yet keep the process movng ... so a big thank-you to those folks at the SO. And I am now slated for an appointment next week. This is very exciting folks!

Born and raised a Californian I was CCW licensed back some time ago when I had to move to Oregon for a short time for work, and this whole process here now seems a lot closer to the "shall issue" policy Oregon had at that time. After moving back to California I have always been troubled by having had to relinquish that right. But now it seems as if, yes here in California, the acknowledgement and honoring of this same right is about to take place. Very exciting indeed!

So yes, many many thanks to Gray Peterson, Brandon Combs (wildhawker), Socom16Fan, ccwtrainer, and I am sure others, for answering questions and offering assistance, and for their devotion to this cause. Thanky-you gentlemen! And also a heart-felt thank-you to Sheriff D'Agostini as well for being a true stand-up guy.

Good luck to everyone, and be and stay safe.
Old 01-12-2011, 7:37 PM

Thanks to CGF staff, Wildhawker, Gray, and especially our new Sheriff for all their hard work and commitment.
Old 01-12-2011, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
Will he issue permits for non-residents working in county?
Anybody have any idea about this?

Old 01-13-2011, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
Anybody have any idea about this?
At the risk of providing a non-answer, I don't directly have any knowledge, but I suppose you could call the EDSO Records Desk and ask, or set an appointment and start the process.
Old 01-18-2011, 8:04 PM

So I had my appointment today, dropped off the app, signed everything, did the fingerprints and picture. The deputy said that it would be a couple of weeks for the background check and they'd give me a call. She didn't give any indication of "the next step". Does anyone happen to know what "the next step" is these days in EDCo? I am imagining it to be the training class, but I don't know....

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2011, 9:48 AM

Sacto99
The employees in the records dept. are not deputies, they are Sheriff's technicians (clerks).
I was always under the impression that the training class for ccw required by Ca law should be completed before you apply for the ccw so when you pass the background a permit license can be issued. They didnt ask you to submit the certificate with the ccw app?
Old 01-19-2011, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Sacto99
The employees in the records dept. are not deputies, they are Sheriff's technicians (clerks).
I was always under the impression that the training class for ccw required by Ca law should be completed before you apply for the ccw so when you pass the background a permit license can be issued. They didnt ask you to submit the certificate with the ccw app?
Nope, didn't ask for or mention any training class. I have also read the statute and understand the training requirement, but there is also a 90-day life on the training certificate from my reading of other county's requirements. While I consider my personal background check to not yield anything interesting, I try to hold off on outlaying money before I am certain of the return.
Old 01-19-2011, 4:42 PM

Default Appointment completed today 1/19 ...

I completed my appointment today 1/19 for initial application review/signing. Ditto what Sacto929 reported ... review & sign application, fingerprints, copies of everything (CDL, weapons receipts, etc.), and picture taken. Took about 20 minutes. I asked for and received a full-copy of my signed application. Ditto the no next steps communicated. I asked and was told that the next step would be that they would call me to inform me of my pass/fail of the BGC. I asked if when I took the required CCW training if I would have to "qualify" with ALL weapons cited on the application. Was told they didn't know the details of the "training" but didn't think I would need to qualify with EACH and ALL weapons listed, etc.

So I guess that question stands open. Since I put down 5 weapons on my application (used an attached sheet as requested on the appl.) will I have to qualify with ALL 5? Who knows THE answer?
Old 01-19-2011, 6:02 PM

Quote:
I completed my appointment today 1/19 for initial application review/signing. Ditto what Sacto929 reported ... review & sign application, fingerprints, copies of everything (CDL, weapons receipts, etc.), and picture taken. Took about 20 minutes. I asked for and received a full-copy of my signed application. Ditto the no next steps communicated. I asked and was told that the next step would be that they would call me to inform me of my pass/fail of the BGC. I asked if when I took the required CCW training if I would have to "qualify" with ALL weapons cited on the application. Was told they didn't know the details of the "training" but didn't think I would need to qualify with EACH and ALL weapons listed, etc.

So I guess that question stands open. Since I put down 5 weapons on my application (used an attached sheet as requested on the appl.) will I have to qualify with ALL 5? Who knows THE answer?
Damn, I should have asked for a copy of the signed application.... I had already made a copy before the signing party.

I believe that state statutes require the training and require qualification with each weapon on the permit. I sure want to find the PC section, but I can't seem to find it and the CGF flowchart won't open on the Macbook.

All in all, I couldn't have imagined it going any smoother to this point.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Damn, I should have asked for a copy of the signed application.... I had already made a copy before the signing party.

I believe that state statutes require the training and require qualification with each weapon on the permit. I sure want to find the PC section, but I can't seem to find it and the CGF flowchart won't open on the Macbook.

All in all, I couldn't have imagined it going any smoother to this point.
Nope, no state requirement on range quals; the initial training could legally be a 15 minute group hug as long as it covers the topics outlined in PC 12050.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 PM

Correct. PC 12050 only mandates that the training course include the topics of gun safety and permisible use laws. In some cases the issuing agency requires qualifications with each firearm. In this case, El Dorado S/O does not. Each instructor approved by the Sheriff dictates that little aspect of the course.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Sacto99
Some counties require the course to be taken prior to the application process. Other's suggest that you take it after receiving your approval letter. El Dorado County, under the office of the new Sheriff, doesn't care either way. Sheriff D'Agostini is more of a common sense oriented man. He's trying to make the process as open as it can be, within the law.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 AM

Recieved a call back today, FBI rejected my fingerprints because of "duplicates" so I need to go back in to redo those next week.

Jamie from Records also mentioned that when they call me back after the BG check is complete I will need to complete a training course prior to the issuing of the permit. So Socom16fan, I'll be calling you very soon to setup a time for myself and my buddy. If anyone else here would be interested in a 8 hour course PM me and we can figure out a weekend for it.

FYI Socom16fan, I picked up a Crossbread Super Tuck Delux for my S&W Bodyguard and will check out the others you mentioned over the phone for my P99.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Weapons receipts? Isn't DROS check good enough?

I'm only aware that we need to bring the following to the first appt:
1) CDL
2) Completed application
3) Payment

Are we required to bring other docs?

Quote:

Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 AM

I just completed my interview today. I only needed the app, CDL, proof of residency in the form of a bill or other? and money.

No other documentation was asked for.

Here are the approved handgun courses:

-See Page 3 for updated and complete list-

Last edited by doubleup16; 02-02-2011 at 9:08 PM..
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by konata88 View Post
Weapons receipts? Isn't DROS check good enough?

I'm only aware that we need to bring the following to the first appt:
1) CDL
2) Completed application
3) Payment

Are we required to bring other docs?
No. As for "weapon reciepts" and proof of registration, these violate GC53071 and PC12051. The sheriff's office shouldn't be requiring them and I do not believe they are.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 AM

doubleup16--

Where did you get the list of classes? I still can't find anything on the county website....

Thanks.

Last edited by sacto929; 01-20-2011 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
No. As for "weapon reciepts" and proof of registration, these violate GC53071 and PC12051. The sheriff's office shouldn't be requiring them and I do not believe they are.
When I did mine, I had copies of my AFS and Records of Ownership, but they stayed in the briefcase. Not needed....
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When I did mine, I had copies of my AFS and Records of Ownership, but they stayed in the briefcase. Not needed....
Outstanding.
Old 01-20-2011, 1:09 PM

On 1/12 when I was called to set up my 1/19 appointment I was told that I needed to bring:

Proof of Residency - CDL
Weapons Receipts
Check or Cash for $125

So on 1/19 when I arrived I had all of that information. At the end of the whole appointment process I was not asked for the weapons receipts but since they had previously asked me to bring them in and I had brought them with me I asked if they were still going to need them (thinking that maybe they had forgotten and that I wouldn't want to have to come back later and bring them in again, etc.). So if I had NOT asked that then I would not have had that info photocopied.

Is there some legal jeopardy I have placed myself in by having relinquished this information when I did not have to do so? They already have the weapon SN's from the application. What harm is there in also knowing when and where I purchased the weapons, and for how much?

Nevertheless, I guess it does irk me that the process seems to vary from one person to the next, from day to day, and that I got "caught" by one of those "variances". I guess it'll get "cleaned up" at some point.

It is what it is.
Old 01-20-2011, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is there some legal jeopardy I have placed myself in by having relinquished this information when I did not have to do so? They already have the weapon SN's from the application. What harm is there in also knowing when and where I purchased the weapons, and for how much?
53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole field of regulation of the registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms as encompassed by the provisions of the Penal Code, and such provisions shall be exclusive of all local regulations, relating to registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms, by any political subdivision as defined in Section 1721 of the Labor Code.

Political subdivision=county.