Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelaw View Post
I can assure you that the IOM and USG magazines are the same. Tactical magazines do not have the "shelf" on the right side to deactivate the magazine disconnect.
I stand corrected. My source was the 1/06 article in swat magazine. I had to go find it again. It does in fact state that the IOM and USG have the safety. The part I was remembering was where it says that the 20rd mags designed for the original 5.7s won't work in the newer models because of the mag safety. My confusion. Sorry for posting the inaccurate info.

I've been to fiveseven.com, but don't really spend much time there. I'll probably go back more once I get a reloading setup. I remember reading some good info a while back.

The article in swat does mention deactivating the mag safety in just a couple minutes. I'm going to have to look into that since it is such an annoying feature.
Old 04-05-2007, 4:59 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
I also happen to have the first PS90CA I'm aware of. Unless someone else has got a fixed mag, 30" kit, I have what I think is the first one in the state. You'll understand why I'm not posting pictures - the last thing I want is for some jerk to rip off the original designer's idea.

WHOA... stop...

what PS90CA...

more please... PM if needed
Old 04-05-2007, 9:07 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknut View Post
I stand corrected. My source was the 1/06 article in swat magazine. I had to go find it again. It does in fact state that the IOM and USG have the safety. The part I was remembering was where it says that the 20rd mags designed for the original 5.7s won't work in the newer models because of the mag safety. My confusion. Sorry for posting the inaccurate info.

I've been to fiveseven.com, but don't really spend much time there. I'll probably go back more once I get a reloading setup. I remember reading some good info a while back.

The article in swat does mention deactivating the mag safety in just a couple minutes. I'm going to have to look into that since it is such an annoying feature.

No problem. The Tactical came first, and it did not have the magazine disconnect, hence the magazines were nto designed with the little shelf on the right side to deactivate the disconnect. Almost all or all new magazines have the disconnector shelf on it, and can work with either the Tactical or IOM/USG models.

Where are you located? I can show you how to disable the disconnect without modifying/removing/replacing anything, and it will be 100% reliable, and able to switch back to the original configuration in minutes with a small bladed screwdriver.
Old 04-06-2007, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelaw View Post
No problem. The Tactical came first, and it did not have the magazine disconnect, hence the magazines were nto designed with the little shelf on the right side to deactivate the disconnect. Almost all or all new magazines have the disconnector shelf on it, and can work with either the Tactical or IOM/USG models.

Where are you located? I can show you how to disable the disconnect without modifying/removing/replacing anything, and it will be 100% reliable, and able to switch back to the original configuration in minutes with a small bladed screwdriver.

we just got one in the shop today and i was all set to try ad talk the boss into letting me buy it, when i was crushed! it has a disconnect!(ugh!) so how are you doing it lee? just making a shim for it?(i spent half of the evening thinking about it.)
Old 04-06-2007, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseabass View Post
we just got one in the shop today and i was all set to try ad talk the boss into letting me buy it, when i was crushed! it has a disconnect!(ugh!) so how are you doing it lee? just making a shim for it?(i spent half of the evening thinking about it.)
I'll wait until I get home to try to make a diagram of the procedure.. all I have at my disposal here is Windows Paint, and that'd just be silly.

and no, no shims.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 AM

i am dying to buy it, even though i cant afford the "super-duper-mondo-ultra-cannon-wonder-gun"
Old 04-06-2007, 1:30 PM

lol...lee, email me that diagram of yours, too. thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lee, please post it.
Old 04-06-2007, 5:55 PM

OK, the official Leelaw Method™ FN Five-seveN Magazine Disconnect Disable.

Note: I do not warrant any of the work performed within this tutorial. However, I have had absoloutly NO failures of any kind since I performed this modification to the Magazine Disconnect on my FN 5-7 IOM, and have every expectation that it will work the same for your pistol as it has for mine. Again, I make no guarantees about this, for legal reasons.

On to the tutorial.

I purchased a FN Five-seveN IOM about two years ago, and was overall pleased with the gun except for one feature - the magazine disconnect. A magazine disconnect is, in my opinion, a safety issue, since it could be possible, however remotely, that I need to fire the gun when between reloads, without a magazine inserted, and with a round in the chamber. The magazine disconnect, by virtue of its design, would prevent me from doing exactly that. So I set out to disable mine in such a way that it could be done without damaging the mechanics of the pistol, and also be reversed if need be.

First, the magazine disconnect for the FN Five-seveN must be explained a little bit.

There is a tension bar (it will be pictured/explained in pictures below) which puts downward pressure on the linkage between the trigger and sear. When this tension bar does as stated, it disconnects the trigger linkage from the sear and prevents the striker from falling.

When a magazine is inserted into the magazine well, a "shelf" (for a lack of a better term) on the right side of the magazine pushes UP on the tention bar, allowing the trigger linkage to raise upwards, too. When the trigger linkage is in this upward position it reconnects with the sear and will allow the striker to fall when the trigger is pulled.

Once I recognized the way the magazine disconnect worked, I set out to fix it, and did so, in the most simplistic terms, by manipulating the position of the tension bar so that it always puts upward pressure on the trigger linkage, and always allows the hammer to drop when the trigger is pulled.

On to the method:

1. Engage the safety of the Five-seveN
2. Completely empty the firearm - empty the chamber, and remove the magazine. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS OR ANY GUNSMITHING ON A LOADED FIREARM! I can not be held responsible if you injure yourself from attempting this modification.
3. Remove the slide from the frame.

The inside of your firearm should look like this.
Explanation of the parts:
Lower Tension Bar Retainer
Tension Bar
Upper Tension Bar Retainer
Trigger Linkage

Note how the Tension Bar is held in place by the Upper and Lower Retainer. These pieces are plastic and are not in any other way attached to the Tension Bar, other than simple friction. Also note that the Tension Bar is pushing downward on a little "finger" at the bottom of the Trigger Linkage.

4. Insert a small jewelers flat-bladed screwdriver, between the Tension Bar and the frame of the pistol, and gently pry the Tension Bar toward the opposide side of the frame.
5. When the tension bar has cleared the Upper Retainer, use pliers or your finger to pull it upwards, towards where the slide would be.
6. Let the Tension Bar rest on TOP of the Upper Retainer, putting upwards pressure on the Trigger Linkage.

Your pistol should now look like this.

7. Reinstall the slide.
8. Check to make sure that the firearm is completely unloaded.
9. Check for proper function of the firearm. While pointing the firearm in a safe direction: Disengage the safety and pull the trigger, releasing the striker; cycle the slide; pull the trigger, releasing the striker, and hold down the trigger; cycle the slide; release the trigger, noting that the trigger reset functions properly; pull the tirgger, releasing the striker; cycle the slide; engage the safety and pull the trigger - if your striker falls at this point, something was done wrong and you should have your pistol checked by a professional gunsmith immediately!

I hope this has been informative. The modification should be 100% reversible (I verified this today) and your firearm will not be damaged by it. I've put almost 1,000 rounds through my Five-seveN since performing this modification and it has run 100.00%

Disabling the magazine disconnect this way requires NO modification to the magazines.

Please PM me with any questions you may have.
Old 04-07-2007, 1:28 AM

Lee, i didnt even think to do that! thank you. i thought it may have had some slight cast-in or flashing on it to keep it in place.
Old 09-07-2012, 8:19 AM

Default Purchased the Five Seven today

I just bought a Five-seveN and have never been a fan of the magazine disconnect. I came across your long ago post in my Goggle search.

I have a "G" Model and on MY pistol there is a rectangular hole that lines right up with the Tension Bar. I can't speak about other pistols or earlier models if they're like this also. I used a small jewelers flat-bladed screwdriver and just pushed on the Tension Bar from outside the frame till it cleared the Upper and Lower Tension Bar Retainers so there was no prying involved.

Following the rest of the directions from there I pulled up on the Tension Bar till it rested on TOP of the Upper Retainer and set it back in place.

Did a function check the test fired without any issues.

THANKS for sharing!!!