Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-26-2010, 2:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default M1 Carbine date of manufacturing

Is there any way of finding out the date of manufacture for an M1 Carbine? It is an Inland Division M1 with a serial number of 5,045,XXX. The barrel is Inland 3-44 so I'm thinking it may be the original barrel. I think was rebuilt after the war with the adjustable rear sight and a flat bolt but I'm not sure. I haven't taken it appart because it's my grandpa's so I can't check other numbers on the rest of the parts.
Old 12-26-2010, 6:15 PM

Based on serial number...Manufacture date June of 1944 the serial # sequence ends at 5045100. Serial #'s beginning 5045101 to 5272000 covers the period July to September 44.
These serial numbers are reported to be approximate. The info is taken form "The M1 Carbine Owner's Guide by Larry L. Ruth & Scott A. Duff.

HTH
Old 12-26-2010, 8:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Is there any way of finding out the date of manufacture for an M1 Carbine? It is an Inland Division M1 with a serial number of 5,045,XXX. The barrel is Inland 3-44 so I'm thinking it may be the original barrel. I think was rebuilt after the war with the adjustable rear sight and a flat bolt but I'm not sure. I haven't taken it apart because it's my grandpa's so I can't check other numbers on the rest of the parts.
Many M1 carbines have their original barrels. Your barrel date is consistent with the approximate build date so yours is likely to be the original barrel. Inland carbines were originally fitted with adjustable rear sights beginning in early 1944 so it might be the original sight. There won't be numbers on the other parts, there will be two letters, the second letter is usually "I".

Old 12-26-2010, 9:04 PM

[QUOTE=Milsurp Collector;5509717]Many M1 carbines have their original barrels. Your barrel date is consistent with the approximate build date so yours is likely to be the original barrel. Inland carbines were originally fitted with adjustable rear sights beginning in early 1944 so it might be the original sight. There won't be numbers on the other parts, there will be two letters, the second letter is usually "I".

Millsurp:

Excellent macro photography there bud..wish I had a camera which would do
that.

P.S.
stripped your pix to save bandwidth...not because I'm jealous.
Old 12-27-2010, 1:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the info. I didn't know Inlands were originally manufactured with an adjustable rear site. I'll have to field strip it and get a better look next time I'm up there.
Old 12-28-2010, 3:47 PM

Hope this helps:

!!WANT TO BUY and looking for shooter/beater/reenacting grade German Waffen proofed handguns from the WWII era. I just want shooters, Im not looking to spend oodles of money, I just want shootable examples to play with!!

!!!Also looking for a shooter/rack grade USGI M1 Carbine (Earlier the date the better)!!!

Wanna help me out? Email me at: mauser3340@gmail.com

Last edited by Dr.Mauser; 12-28-2010 at 3:51 PM..