Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-26-2010, 1:58 PM

Default HELP: Mosin Nagant 91/30 Rear Sight Removal

I have two MN and decided to use one as a scoped sniper project. At the moment I have the three pins punched out but the base won't slide off. I tried pounding it out and pulling it off but it won't budge. There are no sign of solder anywhere. I checked every crack and space near the base but no solder. Is there anything else I need to do???

I saw the youtube video of a guy doing his fugly MN rifle and he had to use a torch gun to melt the solder. Do you think I need to do this?? That's going to be a problem as I can't get access to a torch gun.

Any info will be helpful. Please, no flame. I am trying to take the base off so I can put a pair of 3/8" dovetail rings and mount a LER scope. Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

You don't need a torch. The leaf spring is only attached to the rear (towards the chamber) how I got it off was just use a screw driver and push the leaf spring towards the muzzle. Don't put alot if pressure or the rear of the leaf will be caught up and it'll make you think you need Hulk to take it out for you.

A few I took off was easy, I just turn the MN upside down and shook... The lead came out with no issues.
Old 12-27-2010, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewak47 View Post
I have two MN and decided to use one as a scoped sniper project. At the moment I have the three pins punched out but the base won't slide off. I tried pounding it out and pulling it off but it won't budge. There are no sign of solder anywhere. I checked every crack and space near the base but no solder. Is there anything else I need to do???

I saw the youtube video of a guy doing his fugly MN rifle and he had to use a torch gun to melt the solder. Do you think I need to do this?? That's going to be a problem as I can't get access to a torch gun.

Any info will be helpful. Please, no flame. I am trying to take the base off so I can put a pair of 3/8" dovetail rings and mount a LER scope. Thanks
I'd get a no smithing mount (like S&K scopemounts) if you're just going to use that dovetail. It will save you a lot of time and headache and they are pretty solid.
Old 12-27-2010, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
You don't need a torch. The leaf spring is only attached to the rear (towards the chamber) how I got it off was just use a screw driver and push the leaf spring towards the muzzle. Don't put alot if pressure or the rear of the leaf will be caught up and it'll make you think you need Hulk to take it out for you.

A few I took off was easy, I just turn the MN upside down and shook... The lead came out with no issues.
I was able to knock out all three pins. The leaf spring came out fine. The base is what I want off. I have my scope and my 3/8 dovetail rings ready. This is what I'm aiming for -------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGATiR6jnJk
Old 12-27-2010, 8:32 AM

I did mine 2 or so years ago, I seem to remember it being on there prettty damn good. There IS solder underneath there, but you can't see it. I used a large hammer, and it came off with enough hits. I seem to remember hitting it HARD and cursing at it a few times before it budged. It's a solid gun, hit harder.
Old 12-27-2010, 1:43 PM

I put a torch gun to it and within 5 minutes the solder started melting off. It's all fixed and free of solder. I mounted my dovetail rings on it and it's ready for a scope! I left some of the solder on the back side of the scope rail, and it's a tight fit if need to be put back to stock. Thanks to youtube for awesome tutorials! You can learn lots from those videos.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:52 PM

i also have a mosin nagant with a similar problem, i am trying to mount a scout style scope but one of my pins in the rear sight just simply wont come out, i think its melted in there because on one side i cant even see the whole outline of the pin. it looks like a crescent moon. i was wondering if anyone else had had this problem and knows how to fix it with machining. thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 6:47 AM

You might try drilling out the pin with a drill press but only if your not scared of messing up the sight.
Old 10-13-2012, 9:59 PM

What year is it? If it is 1941 or earlier, the rear sight is soldered in place. Around 1941-1942 they started with the crosspins through the rear sight base, but up into 1943 some were still soldered. After the crosspins became standard, most of the earlier soldered rifles had them added to the rear sight base.