Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training. > Training Class Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Class Announcements Announce and/or Advertise your training classes here.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Canceled - Ken Hackathorn Advanced Handgun - Sept. 14-15, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA

Canceled Ken Hackathorn 2-Day Advanced Handgun - Sept. 14-15, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA

Ken Hackathorn has served as a US Army Special Forces Small Arms Instructor, Gunsite Instructor, and NRA Police Firearms Instructor. He is currently an FBI Certified Firearms Instructor, Certified Deputy Sheriff with Washington County SO, Ohio, and a SRT member and Special Response Team trainer. Ken has trained US Military Special Operations forces, Marine FAST and SOTG units and is a contract small arms trainer to FBI SWAT and HRT.

Ken has provided training to Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies and been active in small arms training for the past 25 years. He has written firearms related material for Guns & Ammo, Combat Handguns, Soldier Of Fortune, and currently American Handgunner and contributed to at least six other gun/shooting journals. Ken was also a founding member of IPSC and IDPA.

Grey Group Training:
www.greygrouptraining.com

Ken Hackathorn 2-Day Advanced Handgun - Sept. 14-15, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA

**Only for Students who have attended previous defensive pistol training programs. Note: this is not a new or beginners’ level training program. Students should already have an acceptable level of gun handling and marksmanship skills.**

Day One:
- Introduction, followed by a lecture on tactical mental applications, legal aspects, and equipment selection.
- Late morning range drills and review of the ‘key’ advanced shooting principles.
- Lunch for 45 minutes
- Return to range for advanced approach to pistol presentation, follow through, and scanning. Turns, pivots, emergency reloads, and multiple targets. Intro to shooting on the move, and related skill drills.

Day Two:
- Resume training with continued range sessions to include review, strong and weak hand drills, point shooting, distance/long range, corner drill, skill drills, and evaluation skill drills.
- Final class review, with key points based upon the students ability to function reflexively.

Instructor: Ken Hackathorn

Class dates: Sept. 14-15, 2011

Cost: $450

Range facilities:

Chabot Gun Club, Inc.
P.O. Box 2246
9999 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546

Range website:
www.chabotgunclub.com

Class size: Maximum sixteen students

Weapon & Gear Class Requirements:

- A functional handgun of reputable manufacture.
- Seasonal weather gear.
- Functional clothing & footgear.
- Knee and Elbow pads.
- Hand held flashlight
- Ballistic Eye protection
- Ear protection.
- Know your weapon's zero. Expect to work as close as 3 yards and as far as 50 yards.
- Have the necessary cleaning tools and maintenance equipment/replacement parts for your weapon(s).
- Quality holster and magazine pouches. A minimum of 4 ea. 15 rd Magazines, more if you are shooting a single stack handgun.
- Minimum of 800 rounds of ammunition
- Be prepared to take notes
- Good attitude

To sign-up for this class please use this link;
http://stores.greygrouptraining.com/...gun/Detail.bok

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me;
training@greygrouptraining.com
757-985-9586
www.aliastraining.com

Last edited by va_dinger; 12-27-2010 at 1:43 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 8:03 PM

Thats something I'm interested in attending next to LAV. I'm going to have to save my pennies and see if I can attend. I've read his AAR's and its a first rate course. Has anyone attended one of his classes? Experience?
Old 12-07-2010, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Should be a good class. He has one in January in SoCal. Might want to look for detailed feedback from them. I don't have the thread reference handy.

Here is the link: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=334985

Last edited by AAShooter; 12-08-2010 at 5:00 PM.. Reason: Edited to add link
Old 12-15-2010, 2:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

FYI: Unfortunately we are going to have to cancel Ken's class on these dates. Ken is trying to wind down and does not feel he will be able to handle traveling this late in the year. Grey Group Training will be adding a bunch more of his classes to the 2011 schedule but they will be held at his home range of Ft.Harmor in Ohio to make things easier for him. Ken is truly a class act.

Please accept our apologies for this schedule change. If you have already signed up for this class you will be contacted shortly and offered a complete refund or to swap to the Kyle Defoor class now being held on those dates. Again, please accept our apologies for this. We understand many of you were looking forward to training with Ken.

A quick look at the Kyle Defoor class;

I should have it written up and posted shortly.

Kyle Defoor 2-Day Advanced Handgun - Sept. 14-15, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA

Kyle Defoor
www.kyledefoor.com

Kyle Defoor is a combat decorated Navy SEAL. Throughout the mid 90's Kyle deployed to Bosnia and the former Yugoslavia in support of US military operations. In the late 90's Kyle successfully completed selection to Naval Special Warfare Development Group, and from there forward deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Kyle left the SEAL Teams in 2003 with numerous awards including the Bronze Star w/Valor for his actions in Operation Anaconda. Shortly after, Kyle began work at Blackwater as the Chief Instructor of firearms and tactics. His reputation and performance with a gun earned him co-hosting spots on both “Tactical Arms” and “Tactical Impact” in 2008 and 2009. It was also around this time Kyle started competing in ultra-running, races over the marathon distance, and in 2010 came in 17th in the grueling Iron Mountain 50 miler. In late 2009, Kyle resigned his position at BW and became the head instructor for TigerSwan, helping them to maintain their position as one of the leaders in tactical training in the industry. Since 2003 Kyle Defoor has taught more students than anyone in the industry (at last count over 5500 students), and worked with a who's who of shooting professionals. He is now taking his experience and branching off with his own company. Kyle has secured various contracts with military and LE agencies but will still be offering "open enrollment" classes to civilians who qualify. In addition Kyle will continue to develop gear and equipment (like his Glock sights from Ameriglo), and conduct charity benefits like his Autism Awareness fundraiser, and future work with SVAS Higher Ground.

Grey Group Training:
www.greygrouptraining.com
757-985-9586
www.aliastraining.com
Old 12-15-2010, 9:51 PM

Bummer on the cancellation.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM

That's too bad, I was looking forward to the low light component, which is a relatively rare opportunity.
Old 12-16-2010, 4:40 AM

I was prepared to train with him since he doesn't make his way up north. This was going to be my last chance to attend one of his well known talked about classes before he retired. Never get that chance again.
Old 12-18-2010, 2:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

At the moment I'd don't think there is any reason to believe we can't get Ken scheduled for Jan 2012 at Castro Valley. The class this year did not end up working out becuase of his schedule and being so late in the year.

If we schedule one for 2012 right around the SHOT show (Like the Jan 2011 class in Chino), I highly suspect we will be a go.

That being said, I know everyone will be VERY pleased with Kyle Defoor for 2011. He is without question one of the finest instructors and shooters in the world. Not to forget he has years of experience in one of the most elite Special Operations units in the world, and has training in excess of 5,000 students. Kyle is a damn nice guy as well. I am proud to call him a friend.
757-985-9586
www.aliastraining.com
Old 12-18-2010, 8:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Will Grey Group Training have a booth at the SHOT show?
Old 12-18-2010, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_dinger View Post

FYI: Unfortunately we are going to have to cancel Ken's class on these dates. Ken is trying to wind down and does not feel he will be able to handle traveling this late in the year. Grey Group Training will be adding a bunch more of his classes to the 2011 schedule but they will be held at his home range of Ft.Harmor in Ohio to make things easier for him. Ken is truly a class act.
Glad me and a shooting buddy signed up way in advance for Ken Hackathorn's Advanced Handgun class on Jan. 15-16, 2011 in Chino. That class sure sold out fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_dinger View Post

Kyle Defoor 2-Day Advanced Handgun - Sept. 14-15, 2011 - Castro Valley, CA
Very much interested in this same class for Southern California.
Old 12-21-2010, 8:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Will Grey Group Training have a booth at the SHOT show?
Not this year, but my bosses Josh & Eric will be attending. It's 50/50 for me attending at the moment.
757-985-9586
www.aliastraining.com
Old 12-23-2010, 6:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Update: The Kyle Defoor 2-Day Advanced Handgun class should be up on the GGT website today. The dates, location, and price are exactly the same as the Ken class. Sarah will be contacting everyone who signed up for the Ken Hackathorn class today offering you a full refund or to swap to the Kyle class.

Please feel free to contact me if anyone has any questions or concerns. As always I am glad to help.

Thanks,

Paul
757-985-9586
www.aliastraining.com