Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-05-2010, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Sp Ed View Post
As a school teacher, Notary Public and eligible for bar membership, and retired stock broker I have been printed and run through DOJ countless times. Plus combat wounded Veteran. I have passed numerous reviews for good moral character.

I would gladly volunteer to be part of the process for CCW application in Alameda.
Quote:
P.S. also have current non resident licenses for Utah and Florida
If you have not already done so, please register as a volunteer on CGF website Here

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 12-05-2010, 5:30 PM

I have registered as a volunteer
Old 12-05-2010, 5:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Excellent, Teacher Sp Ed; we'll be reaching out soon.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-05-2010, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Part 3, page 53:

Quote:
Having carried a weapon for 28 years, I think I need it for protection.

Applied for P.I. License, & passed test today, (11/14/07)

Hopes to work for an agency

As far as renewal requests, are the good cause statements looked at just as strictly as new requests, or does the issuing authority generally give more leniency for the renewals?

Part 1, Page 9, the licensee mentions 9/11 as a factor:

Quote:
2) Due to the numerous changes in security measure and the demand on Law Enforcement since 9/11 I have felt a need to increase my personal protection as well as my business protection

To sum my reason for a CCW is for self protction and the protection of my personal and business property which if in the wrong hands can create a problem especially for Law Enforcement.
The licensee goes on to mention this:

Quote:
...I have been faced with a new line of customers from all races who basically present a new challenge for me in dealing with their needs and wants

I would think that if a person submitting a GC letter that mentions race in any shape or form, would immediately be denied, especially with the tone above, no?

Erik.
Old 12-05-2010, 6:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Renewals are only distinguished in the PC by the reduced fees, 4 hour minimum for training, and restrictions on some administrative components (fingerprints, psych testing, etc.).

That said, and something we'll be addressing, many sheriffs have their own version of a renewal. It does tend to favor existing license holders in that most renewals do not expressly challenge license holders to as-completely "re-justify" the license.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:15 PM

Default :)

Well that was some fun reading. I'll be standing by...
Old 12-06-2010, 3:02 PM

Wow...some of those reasons are pretty darn weak in my opinion. I only say this because I've been told that I would not be granted a permit with similar reasoning. This is only "hearsay" on my part though, I have not wanted to attempt the process only to have being denied on my record. I've been told by many folks that once denied it does not favor well for you on future attempts even in other locations.

I just read the first of those file folders. The ones in there with things like "I work late", "I carry cash", "I've got weapons" are all reasons that I was told would not make any difference to them. Now, "my uncles brother" does not own a gun shop or anything, but all those other things pretty much fit my situation.....

There is obviously something more to the approval process.
Old 12-06-2010, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Another race situation, Part 2, page 50:

Quote:
...The risk of personal harm is high at this time. Many of the tenants are of Asian, Hispanic and Middle-Eastern persuasion and deal only in cash. This is their nature of doing business. They do not pay in checks, nor will they deliver the rent to my offices. I have to go to them.
Interesting that some of the statements have situations where the mention of race comes in.

"Their", "They", and "Them" being defined as the Asian, Hispanic and Middle-Eastern tenants in the letter. Again (as I mentioned above), I would think that any mention of race as a factor for a request to be given a CCW license would be grounds for immediate denial, but I guess not.

Erik.

Last edited by Window_Seat; 12-06-2010 at 7:08 PM..
Old 12-06-2010, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

My eyes are spinning from skimming thru those .pdfs, but one thing stands out: business people who sometimes have to go into bad parts of town at odd hours. Q: How has Plummer/Ahern treated law-abiding citizens who live in those same bad parts of town? Do they get issued CCWs?

Now is when the entrenched "powers-that-be" start getting upset. This is when being able to carry a means of defending yourself & yours goes from being a privilege of the well-heeled and well-connected to a right in this state.
damn, that's true

i've never thought about that. I guess only the "money" people are worth protecting.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM

that guy at the Castro Valley gun shop has quite the extended family....
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
that guy at the Castro Valley gun shop has quite the extended family....
I went to one a few years ago, back after TBJ had gotten established, and spoke to a few people there about what they were hoping to do using Guillory and the 14th A and asked if I could leave a flier and my "business card fliers" for their customers. I was met w/a slightly hostile reaction, which surprised me, given the uniformly positive reactions I got at other east bay gun stores.

I think I now know why: the owner, his brother, and his nephew were all among the "more worthy to be defended than thou" elite (i.e., they got theirs from Plummer/Ahern and didn't want anybody rocking the boat).

I was going to visit that shop again, but this time w/CGF materials. I've decided to wait until there is a public announcement by CGF that Alameda is "Time to Apply" status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
170+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice
Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I love how "protection of goods" is both a carrot and a stick.

Also, how many of these "business purpose" permits are for 90 days?

Anyone want to guess?
Old 12-07-2010, 1:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
I love how "protection of goods" is both a carrot and a stick.

Also, how many of these "business purpose" permits are for 90 days?

Anyone want to guess?
I'd say 0, but all I see is the good cause sheets and not the other underlying information.
Old 12-07-2010, 1:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
I'd say 0
...and you would be correct.

Old 12-07-2010, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

What I didn't see is if any of those have "business use only" restrictions.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM

I like the application on San Francisco District Attorney letterhead! (2nd doc, page 15) Good stuff. Too bad it wasn't in time for the elections.

Ms. Harris, I see that you are a strong supporter of your employees' rights to defend themselves. Does this reflect a greater desire to empower other Californians to defend themselves as well? How do you reconcile this with your statements regarding the Heller decision? http://www.sfdistrictattorney.org/News.asp?id=458
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomtools View Post
I like the application on San Francisco District Attorney letterhead! (2nd doc, page 15) Good stuff. Too bad it wasn't in time for the elections.

Ms. Harris, I see that you are a strong supporter of your employees' rights to defend themselves. Does this reflect a greater desire to empower other Californians to defend themselves as well? How do you reconcile this with your statements regarding the Heller decision? http://www.sfdistrictattorney.org/News.asp?id=458
Do not email that to the DA's office. You're trying to score political points on someone just to make yourself feel better. Don't do it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM

Take it easy man, it was a joke. Not planning on talking with any DA's in any capacity. Not running for office or in any need of political points or particularly interested in feeling better. OK then, glad that's settled.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Exclamation

Part 3, page 93:

Quote:
It is my understanding in my case that the Sheriff has waived proof of personal liability insurance.

I don't know if the Sheriff has waived further letters from me describing circumstances that justify the need to carry a concealed weapon. In the event he has not, I am requesting renewal because I am a Deputy District Attorney...
I would be interested to know if the Sheriff at the time (09/05/2009) actually DID waive proof of PLI and further letters (what letters? GC letters?)?? Anyone know how that might work for others in an EP (equal protection) situation?

Erik.
Old 12-07-2010, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

There are at least two other renewal applications that refer to insurance waivers.
Old 12-07-2010, 3:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do not take any action regarding this issue.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Part 3, page 93:

I would be interested to know if the Sheriff at the time (09/05/2009) actually DID waive proof of PLI and further letters (what letters? GC letters?)?? Anyone know how that might work for others in an EP (equal protection) situation?

Erik.

Old 12-07-2010, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I strongly urge those in Alameda to remain patient as we might just have some additional instructions for volunteers... in two weeks soon.

Old 12-07-2010, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or be insulted.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 12-07-2010, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Who says you can't have both?
Old 12-07-2010, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

I just read through the first PDF and found it interesting that significantly more than half of them involve "I do <insert activity> at night." So what? Because I work during the day or do my banking at noon, does that mean I have less of a reason to protect myself? Because it's light out, does that mean I'm going to be able to fight any better than at night? Pretty silly if you ask me.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 12-07-2010, 9:23 PM

Observation... having read through the entire file there seems to be a common thread and I am assuming that all that I read were granted. I could fashion a GC statement that accurately paraphrased the ones reviewed. But I think that I should wait...Someone tell me when would be the appropriate time to apply for the best group effect.
Old 12-08-2010, 1:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hold tight all...

Old 12-08-2010, 6:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hold tight all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
170+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice

Last edited by Paladin; 12-08-2010 at 6:17 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
What I didn't see is if any of those have "business use only" restrictions.
I didn't either, but about a third of the way through the first pdf there's a couple of 'em asking for the business restriction to be removed, with statements as to why.

ETA: On the business restriction waiver, I'm referring to the letter dated 11/17/08 and it's halfway through the first pdf file, not a third as I thought before.

He says,

Quote:
A personal visit to a friend on a weekend can also quickly become a meeting with a potential client if they express some interest in one of my properties -- when someone does, I immediately try to show them a home. When showing and inspecting homes I often run into squatters. Is that work related? If so, I would have inevitably left my firearm at home because of the work restriction and the original "personal" nature of the visit to a friend.

Something as simple as a trip to the mall can quickly become an encounter with a person I have evicted -- this recently occurred....
If this fellow's work restriction was waived on these grounds, this an opening for us?

NRA Life Member

Honorary Board Member, the Calguns Foundation
DONATE NOW to support the rights of California gun owners.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.
Read me@RNS

Last edited by Davidwhitewolf; 12-08-2010 at 6:20 PM.. Reason: replaced "waiver" (duh!) with "restriction"
Old 12-08-2010, 5:55 PM

General question: one of our employees approached me with a situation. His wife has a stalker in Georgia who in the past has come out to California (generally around the holidays) and threatened (online) to rape her and her daughters. The employee suspects from online activity that the stalker might be gearing up for another visit. The couple has had a restraining order against him in the past but it expired; they're going to look into getting another in place.

Aside from the other measures they're taking (they don't yet own a gun, for one thing, but are working on it) they're interested in the possibility of an Alameda CCW. I'm not sure they could afford the insurance requirement and/or app fees.

All that said, would it be wise/foolish for them to go through the Alameda CCW application process at this point in time? I'd hate to see them spend time/money on something so important if it's likely they'll be denied.

NRA Life Member

Honorary Board Member, the Calguns Foundation
DONATE NOW to support the rights of California gun owners.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.
Read me@RNS
Old 12-08-2010, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

They should definitely apply. The insurance is a non-issue (they should contact me if Alameda were to try and assert it), and I'm fairly certain that psych is a non-issue also.

With a TRO in place there is an exemption to 12031 they may consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC 12031(j)(2)
A violation of this section is justifiable when a person who
possesses a firearm reasonably believes that he or she is in grave
danger because of circumstances forming the basis of a current
restraining order issued by a court against another person or persons
who has or have been found to pose a threat to his or her life or
safety. This paragraph may not apply when the circumstances involve a
mutual restraining order issued pursuant to Division 10 (commencing
with Section 6200) of the Family Code absent a factual finding of a
specific threat to the person's life or safety. It is not the intent
of the Legislature to limit, restrict, or narrow the application of
current statutory or judicial authority to apply this or other
justifications to defendants charged with violating Section 12025 or
of committing other similar offenses.
Upon trial for violating this section, the trier of fact shall
determine whether the defendant was acting out of a reasonable belief
that he or she was in grave danger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwhitewolf View Post
General question: one of our employees approached me with a situation. His wife has a stalker in Georgia who in the past has come out to California (generally around the holidays) and threatened (online) to rape her and her daughters. The employee suspects from online activity that the stalker might be gearing up for another visit. The couple has had a restraining order against him in the past but it expired; they're going to look into getting another in place.

Aside from the other measures they're taking (they don't yet own a gun, for one thing, but are working on it) they're interested in the possibility of an Alameda CCW. I'm not sure they could afford the insurance requirement and/or app fees.

All that said, would it be wise/foolish for them to go through the Alameda CCW application process at this point in time? I'd hate to see them spend time/money on something so important if it's likely they'll be denied.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 PM

Many thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 3:29 PM

Now that the opinion in Peruta issued is there any reason for not designing a good cause statement along the lines of business and personal safety that seems to be successful in Alameda County?
Old 12-12-2010, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Quote:
Now that the opinion in Peruta issued is there any reason for not designing a good cause statement along the lines of business and personal safety that seems to be successful in Alameda County?
Quote:
Do not take any action regarding this issue.

-Brandon
Quote:
Hold tight all...
And best of all...:

Quote:
I strongly urge those in Alameda to remain patient as we might just have some additional instructions for volunteers... in two weeks soon.
Nuff said?

Erik.
Old 12-12-2010, 8:05 PM

Nothing better to do but wait. Going to go live the rest of my life, which is a good one.
Old 12-16-2010, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

BTT, just to let everyone know that I'm back at home to help out with the volunteer effort to take place.

Erik.
Old 12-23-2010, 7:45 PM

down to go
Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hold steady on the line. Waiting for a couple of other issues to move.
Old 12-24-2010, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hold steady on the line. Waiting for a couple of other issues to move.
I like the sound of that.

Erik.
Old 12-24-2010, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
I like the sound of that.

Erik.
+one