Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Official Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Official Events Booths, Gun Show Events and other Official occasions. (Limited Posting)

Old 11-17-2010, 8:32 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Arrow Calgunners Marksmanship Class DEC 4th n 5th (A Rifle Marksmanship Outing)

Quote:
Calgunners Appleseed @ Raahaugees

Quote:
Anyone interested in doing an Appleseed for Calgunners? This is an Awesome event and you will shoot alot. I shoot over 500 rounds at each Appleseed that I attended. It will give you a conditioning & equipment workout
PM me if your interested. I know a few Calgunners that have taken the challenge a few times and have Riflemens patch.
On another note, this is also the kind of event that you can bring your kids/SO and friends and first time shooters to.

PM me and let me know if your interested.

Quote:
Appleseed FAQ’s
• Dec 4 and 5.
• payment is as usual:
• Women, 20 & under, Active/reserve/retired/former Military, LEO, elected officials all shoot for free, just have to pay the range fee.
• Men $70 for 2 day's and $45 for 1 day
Quote:
Range Fee: $20 per day

• U can use scope or iron sights
o Make sure you sight in beforehand so you are on paper
• All calibers are ok
o Expect to fire approximately 650 rounds over the 2 day course
• They will teach you how to use a sling and your drills will use a sling
o USGI Web Sling, no tactical slings:
o USGI web sling or M14 slings or M1 Garand slings, I found the M1 Garand sling at the army surplus in Pomona for $8. Look in an Army Surplus or order online
o http://www.charleyssurplus.com/
o http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp
o Or look on ebay I see them all the time there
o http://www.charleyssurplus.com/M1%20...EB%20SLING.jpg
• Bring your own lunch
• Need at least 3 mags
• You will need ground cover or a shooting mat
o I get these from Walmart, they work great
o http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym...e-Mat/11089966
• Dress of weather

• Question for everyone:
• Raagauges and we can use 22lr or Centerfire.
What to bring or know about before hand
http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html
• This is rifle marksmanship so you will learn to shoot in the Standing, kneeling/sitting and prone positions.
• Take my word, this is an Awesome course, It will give you a conditioning & equipment workout

What is an Appleseed

Appleseed is a program that instructs Americans on the traditional rifle marksmanship skills that have been passed down from generation to generation, along with reconnecting today's Americans with the people and events of the Founding era. Participants are taught fundamental rifle marksmanship skills that are required to allow a Rifleman to be accurate out to 500 yards, with iron sights, standard rifle and surplus ammo. This is the traditional 'Rifleman's Quarter mile', which is an uniquely American Rifleman skill, that has been part of this nation from the very first days.

Most of the instruction at an Appleseed is conducted at 25 meters, at reduced size targets to simulate 100 to 500 yards. This well proven technique allows us to concentrate on the shooter's mechanics and less time walking a range. At those locations that allow for actual distance shooting, participants are often able to see first hand that the skills that they learn at 25 meters directly apply to actual distances out to 500 yards. These foundational skills are not being passed on to future generations, and so Appleseeds are great for new or experienced shooters alike.

What kind of rifle do I need? What kind of sights are allowed?

Appleseed is content-free, so in regards to sights: you can use any. Rifles? Well, you can use any safe firearm which can be accurately shot from the shoulder, from a .22 to a .32 (8mm). We're semi-auto and bolt-gun friendly. The important thing is that it works, so before you come to a shoot make sure you clean it, break it in (if need be), and lube it properly in preparation for the day. Due to the high cost of ammo, we reccommend using a .22 for the training on Saturday and if the range you are shooting at has a long distance range, then bring your center fire rifle for that on Sunday.

What caliber is best?

In a nutshell: they all are. Appleseed is not caliber-specific. It doesn't matter to us if you use .308, .30-06, .223, .22, 7.62x39, 8mm, .303 — they're all fine. Marksmanship and caliber are independent of each other. If you're a good marksman, you'll be able to hit with any caliber. So, if you have an AR-15, SKS, or 10/22 please feel free to join us. And when you bring your kids (up to age 20 shoots free)

Did you say "basic" class?

Some may say "basic", but a better term might be foundational. The skills taught at Appleseed are Traditional American Rifleman skills that have been unique throughout the history of this country. The American Rifleman is capable of shooting a 20" target out to 500 yards, or a milk jug at 250 yards, using a standard, rack grade rifle, surplus ammo, iron sights, from field positions, this is what your forefathers were capable of. These skills transfer to any kind of shooting and while they should be considered "basic" to most Americans, they are more often seen as "advanced" by today's shooters....This is what Appleseed is trying to change.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”

Last edited by pennys dad; 11-29-2010 at 8:00 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I went to an Appleseed Project shoot a few weeks ago at Burro Canyon. I highly recommend them to everyone. They teach shooting AND the history of the American Rifleman. It's good stuff. Take the wife and kids.

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-
Old 11-17-2010, 2:11 PM

YES, depending on location. I whent to the Appleseed shoot two weeks ago in Bakersfield at 5 Dogs shooting range. It was a lot of fun.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "
Old 11-17-2010, 6:44 PM
CGSSA President

Updated first thread

President of CGSSA
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 11-18-2010, 9:13 PM

Me and my fiancee are planning on going to this. I thin it will be good for her to learn to shoot well.

I hate my life.
Old 11-19-2010, 8:02 AM
CGSSA President

Excellent, look forward to seeing u there

President of CGSSA
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Old 11-19-2010, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

Great class, I highly recommend.
Old 11-29-2010, 8:00 PM
CGSSA President

Come Join Us

President of CGSSA
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Old 12-01-2010, 9:29 AM

Hi folks, couple ?'s :

1. Can I sign up for Saturday only and add on SUnday later?

I would be a first timer. I'm in horrible shape, so I don't know if I can take two days in a row.

2. Would I be better served to use my 10/22 rather than my M1 Carbine or one of my AR's? I have plenty of ammunition, but wonder if maybe the .22 would be easier on the pocketbook for my first outing.

Thanks.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM
CGSSA President

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoflyer View Post
Hi folks, couple ?'s :

1. Can I sign up for Saturday only and add on SUnday later?

I would be a first timer. I'm in horrible shape, so I don't know if I can take two days in a row.

2. Would I be better served to use my 10/22 rather than my M1 Carbine or one of my AR's? I have plenty of ammunition, but wonder if maybe the .22 would be easier on the pocketbook for my first outing.

Thanks.
Can I sign up for Saturday only and add on Sunday later: Yes
Would I be better served to use my 10/22: Yes

President of CGSSA
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Old 12-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Well, I joined the RWVA and signed up for the Appleseed.....in Saugus.

It's only a 20 minute drive vs. 90 minutes for me.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 12-02-2010, 7:29 PM

Won't be available for this one, but will make out it out to the next one. Any idea when the next one will be???
Old 12-02-2010, 8:06 PM

What is the cost? I have been wanting to do an Appleseed shoot for a long time.
Old 12-03-2010, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
What is the cost? I have been wanting to do an Appleseed shoot for a long time.
You're kidding, right?
Old 12-04-2010, 9:42 PM

I plan to go with my 10yr old son. Do we share rifle/ammo or each has his own?
Thanks.

"I want an assault rifle.....and if something better than an assault rifle comes out. I'll want that one too"
Old 12-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtype1 View Post
I plan to go with my 10yr old son. Do we share rifle/ammo or each has his own?
Thanks.
Please do not plan to share rifles. The pace of Appleseed is such that you each need your own rifle for the event.