Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-17-2010, 2:44 PM

USSG imports the Zastava made Z-5 in a Youth Version. Fair looking Walnut stock after a bit of work. Very nice bluing and metal work. Only plastic on it is the buttplage. Easily scoped, and comes with very good iron sights. IIRC, the trigger is non adjustable, though the adult guns have fully adjustable triggers. It might be possible to upgrade later.
I have 2 of the 22s, and one in 17HMR. Website photo shows the older Remington laminated stock.

http://ussginc.com/pdfs/USSG_2011_Z98_Z5.pdf

Old 11-17-2010, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGunner View Post
Also what do you think about the lead poisoning? I read that "LEAD" are especially harmful for young kids. Considering the BB bullet, some .22LR are pure lead, and 50% of primer are made of lead, do you think the kids need more protection? I'm thinking along the line like "coverall cloth"/"wash hands"/"respirator" sort of things... or am I paranoid?
wash hands after shooting and don't eat when shooting, and don't put the rounds in the mouth.

the other two things that just paranoid.
My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."
Close to the edge here brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 11-17-2010, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

My two boys (6 & 8) get to shoot a Ruger Single Six and an M&P 15-22

Ruger
- Single action, it forces slow rate of fire
- Light trigger full
- The enjoy loading it
- Too heavy to hold at arms length, we shoot from a rest

15-22
- Adjustable stock, they use the shortest setting
- Easy to use in every respect, they love slapping in new mags :-)
- Even though it's polymer, it's still too heavy for them to pick up and we shoot from a rest.

I'm always right by their side when we're shooting.
Old 11-17-2010, 2:58 PM

Sunnyvale has a nice covered range for .22's.

You've got a lot of options...

A pellet gun is a great idea to start. I bought a nice Gamo from the NRA store. Big 5 has a nice one with scope on sale now for $129...

After that, a nice .22 bolt, lever or pump (some good C&R deals out there) might be a nice choice. Anything that makes them pause and have to reload after each shot. That way they have to think about safety, setting up the shot, etc. instead of just pulling the trigger.

But then again, a 10-22 is a great gun, and you can pick up a used youth stock or one from Brownell's for about $85. After that, both of you can spend unlimited time and money building and rebuilding that thing over and over.

It's your kid, and you know him best. There's a lot of good advice here. If it's fun and safe, I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
Old 11-17-2010, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio2 View Post
My two boys 7 & 10 both started with a Red Rider BB gun at age 5 and still enjoy them, At age 7 I started them with a Savage cub bolt 22, single shot (left picture)
at nine I got my older son a Henry lever 22 as he out grew the cub and the 7 yr old old now shoots it. No scopes just iron sights for now. Both love my Ruger 10/22 with scope and I let them shoot it once in awhile but I want them to be an expert with iron sights first and make every shot count. My older boy is almost ready for the 10/22 as his shot groups are there. I wish my eyes were as good as his!!!!!

They must have miss placed their safety glasses and hearing protection!

IMHO... besides the 4 rules, the use of eye and hearing protection are two of the most important aspects of this sport young shooters should be taught!
Old 11-17-2010, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh100 View Post
They must have miss placed their safety glasses and hearing protection!

IMHO... besides the 4 rules, the use of eye and hearing protection are two of the most important aspects of this sport young shooters should be taught!
Very true and I have custom ear plugs and safty glasses for them and they use them, But they were just posing for a pic and the guns wern't loaded, I would post the other pics but I don't there face on the net.
Old 11-17-2010, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape View Post
You're paranoid!
Don't believe all the hype out their in California about lead hazards from shooting. I, like many hundreds of thousands of people (if not more like millions) like me, learned how to shoot with all that "dangerous lead" and it never effected any of us. Unless of course you count the idiots who got shot! lol

Lead poisoning is overrated. When I was little, I used to play with toys that were actually made of lead (I cast toy soldiers myself out of salvaged car batteries), and I turned out OK
Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilisk View Post

Lead poisoning is overrated. When I was little, I used to play with toys that were actually made of lead (I cast toy soldiers myself out of salvaged car batteries), and I turned out OK

Not to hijack the thread but.......I see all of the over bearing rules and regs for kids today and think back to when I was a kid and was actually allowed to be a kid, and wonder how it is people have become so over protective as to not allow their kids to be kids

I wouldn't take back one bruise, set of stitches, broken bones or scars that I earned as a kid!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcal View Post
10/22 is the Ruger 10/22, possibly the most common semi auto .22lr carbine out there.
I am certain that award goes to Marlin.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:58 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcschummers View Post
Bolt action, iron sights. Marlin makes some quality, accurate rifles out of the box.
For Xmas this year, I have purchased a Marlin 925 bolt gun for my son. SHHHH!! This is a secret!

Walnut stocks, blued metal... BRAND NEW!! I was thinking of have a plate engraved to put on the stock with his name and xmas 2010.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I wouldn't take back one bruise, set of stitches, broken bones or scars that I earned as a kid!
Well, I don't know, there is this one I got while I stepped on a broken beer bottle while walking in a flooded ditch barefoot. I would trade that one.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM

OP, I think your choice is perfect. I was just about to recommend the Cricket line of single shot 22's. Perfect for the youngn's to learn about accuracy and making every shot count. Also safer than a semi for them, since reloading after firing is more involved. Easy to keep track of the condition of the gun ect ect.
Get the cricket single shot.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
Well, I don't know, there is this one I got while I stepped on a broken beer bottle while walking in a flooded ditch barefoot. I would trade that one.
Ahhhh....But you learned a valuble lesson didn't you?
I don't know about you, but even if my parents told me "not" to do something, it had no actual bearing on whether or not I would or wouldn't do it. I have to walk behind the horse and get kicked at least once before I learn many of my lessons! LOL
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ahhhh....But you learned a valuble lesson didn't you?
I don't know about you, but even if my parents told me "not" to do something, it had no actual bearing on whether or not I would or wouldn't do it. I have to walk behind the horse and get kicked at least once before I learn many of my lessons! LOL
Yes, but to this day (30+ years later) it occasionally still hurts. I suppose I should have a doctor check it out.

I NEVER go without shoes anymore, so I suppose I did learn something. Still, I would trade that lesson.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 11-18-2010, 8:50 PM

I'm thinking about picking up a Thompson/Center Hot Shot to acquaint my 7 year old son to shooting. Anyone have anything to say about the Hot Shot?
Old 11-19-2010, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
USSG imports the Zastava made Z-5 in a Youth Version. Fair looking Walnut stock after a bit of work. Very nice bluing and metal work. Only plastic on it is the buttplage. Easily scoped, and comes with very good iron sights. IIRC, the trigger is non adjustable, though the adult guns have fully adjustable triggers. It might be possible to upgrade later.
I have 2 of the 22s, and one in 17HMR. Website photo shows the older Remington laminated stock.

http://ussginc.com/pdfs/USSG_2011_Z98_Z5.pdf

Beautiful gun, how much do those run? BTW, I'm going to start a new thread asking what the "best and worst" rules/advice you ever got while learning about gun safety...

Chib
Old 11-19-2010, 4:37 PM

S&W 15/22 ... ?
Old 11-20-2010, 2:15 PM

I know it's not a .22, but for my girl's first gun at age 12 (few months ago), I bought her this Glock 19 (9mm):

I have not regretted this decision in the least. It's so nice to shoot and a 12 year old girl can handle it just fine.. This way, she will grow up with this gun practicing at the range until she moves out one day.

I wanted her to have this new gun so by the time she's 18,19 20ish and a "Zombie" tries to get into her appartment, she'll have been used to shooting this gun for several years. Very low recoil, weight and muzzle flip. Perfect for a newbie.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 11-20-2010, 7:00 PM

We went to big 5, and he of course fell in love with the .22, MP15/22. Sweet looking, and we could grow with it. Now, my problem is I can't find a reasonable price. Big 5 has it for $500, which seems ridiculous to me. Anybody have any thoughts on where to find this? There were air soft versions for half the cost, but I'd rather buy the real thing in .22 caliber, and get a nice scope and bipod for him vs. An air rfle and a .22 5 months later.... Anybody know where I can get one around the bay area so I don't have to pay an additional transfer fee of $100??

Best,

Chib
Old 11-20-2010, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Not too young... My 9 year old has his own Ar15 style rifle and my 7 year old has a Ar style pistol... yeah they are both mine but they are theres when they get older... Both handle better than some adults I know...

DefenseIndustries.US
Auburn, CA
Old 11-20-2010, 10:31 PM

+1 for the Savage Cub, that's what my son shot on his 10th birthday.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Calguns Addict

The Crickett .22 Bolt Action, Tactical Sniper version. My 7 year old grandson loves it, and is very accurate with it.

At age 10, he might be a little big, but you can get adult stocks for them as they grow. The replacement stocks run about $30-40 from Keystone Sporting Arms, the makers of the Crickett.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 12-04-2010, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcutt View Post
Puts on Flame suit...

MY 2 cents from "Prehistoric days"...

To young for his own .22. A pellet/bb gun that only you control (locked up) a great starter. Help, teach and instill safe and responsible shooting skills with the BB gun. If he learns your safe and responsible shooting skills, a .22 at 12 years old would be appropriate. That's how I grew up, and worked great. I thank my Father to this day for the shooting skills he passed on to me. Your son will too.

Safe to take off flame suit ?..
I disagree that he is too young for a .22, but I agree that he should have a BB or pellet gun first. This is the best way to begin to teach proper skills.

That being said, I am getting my son either a Marlin 925 or 981T.
Old 12-04-2010, 6:08 PM

My daughter started off with the CZ452 Scout.

Comes with a loading platform making it a single shot. Later you can replace the platform with 5 or 10 rnd magazines.
Great rifle, nice and accurate.

My son started with a CM-2 Cadet

It will only ever be a single shot. Adjustable 2-stage trigger and fantastic accurate.

Now dont get me wrong, kids love to knock things down. Given the option they both grab my semi autos and plink away. But I believe bolt action rifles are better to teach young kids with and will outlast their childrens children.

Barry
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM

when my boys were young, they were too small to hold up a full sized rifle till they were 13 or 14. they were mentaly up to it at 10yrs old. they just didnt have the arm strength. I got them a chipmunk at first, and they loved it but got bored with the single shot pretty quickly. next I found them a marlin papoose. its semi auto but has a short stock, 16" barrel, and only around 4lbs. it still gets shot when we get together. the chipmunk gets looked at but not shot often. the boys are aged 21 to 38 and now I have grand kids that want to shoot the marlin. your son probably wont have the same problems mine did but if you find him something he likes it will stay with him for life. DR
Old 12-06-2010, 2:04 AM

When I was 10, I was killing ducks with a break action single shot 20ga youth shotgun. Not being a semi and being lightweight you felt all the recoil. If I could handle that at 10, a .22 should be no problemo.
Old 12-06-2010, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
wash hands after shooting and don't eat when shooting, and don't put the rounds in the mouth.

the other two things that just paranoid.
Oh man I remember when I was a kid I'd handle .177 and .22 pellets while eating burger and fries. I'm pretty sure those Crossman .177s were lead because they were soft and pewter colored. Back in the '70s there were no warnings on the pellet cans or I would have been more careful!
Old 12-06-2010, 9:35 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
Oh man I remember when I was a kid I'd handle .177 and .22 pellets while eating burger and fries. I'm pretty sure those Crossman .177s were lead because they were soft and pewter colored. Back in the '70s there were no warnings on the pellet cans or I would have been more careful!
Yes and I can remember chewing on them and squishing the pellets between my teeth.

Forgot all about that until reading your post. Explains a lot now.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 12-06-2010, 9:52 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

Lever action Henry would be great, Marlin 60 is great but with the semi-auto, they tend to get shot much faster and not think about the trigger control or group. the Savage bolt action would be a great shooter, make him take his time, and are really accurate rifles out of the box.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/24445

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/24976

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/25494
This last one may be a bit small so take that into consideration.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
+10 The CZs are great and he will be able to shoot it a LLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG time. Semi-Autos are not that great for children. I think its better to give them a bolt action with iron sights to start with.
I completely agree with this. The CZ scout sights can even be upgraded to match peep sights for crazy precision shooting, or even a scope later. The 452 is also upgradable to a Timney trigger and can take 5 and 10 rd magazines. It will be a rifle that will keep him content for a while.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM

I would get the ruger 10/22!
Old 12-09-2010, 1:33 PM
Banned

Thompson Center just came out with a scaled down version of the G2 or contender if you will it's a 22 lr and turners has them for $200 way cool little gun.
Old 12-09-2010, 2:49 PM

For a 10 years old, checkout the Ruger Single Six. A single-action cowboy revolver, came with two cylinders (.22 LR and .22 Magnum), and a choice of blue or stainless steel.

The Single-Six is very nicely made, and will last many generations in your family.

Regards,
Old 12-09-2010, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Or build a ar style rifle in 5.56 and put a .22 kit in and when they get older they have a real rifle they can still plink with time to time... Btw you can load 1 bullet at a time in the mag so they learn to go slow... BEST IDEA in this thread yet... :P

DefenseIndustries.US
Auburn, CA
Old 12-09-2010, 8:28 PM

berretta neos
Old 12-10-2010, 1:21 AM

My 1st choice would be the CZ Scout (needs a little trigger rework though). Beautiful little rifle and better made than most any youth 22. I'm biased though, since my favorite bolt action 22s are my CZ 452 American and BRNO Mod 4.

2nd choice would be any of the Savage bolt actions with the Accu-trigger. Not as well made as the CZ, but boy could I hit a target with my buddy's. That trigger makes it a joy to shoot, and you want something a kid can do well with right away so he doesn't get discouraged. Longer LOP stock can be added later as they grow.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the H&R Sportster Compact. Again, I'm biased because my 1st shotgun was a Topper 12 ga and I've got H&R break-open rifles from 17HMR on up to 45-70.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/sportster.asp

Picture on the website doesn't show them for some reason, but the Compact does come with open sights, and is also tapped for a Weaver base. Nice kid gun, and all of the butt stocks for the H&R rifles/shotguns are interchangeable for when they grow up.

Fun, durable and inexpensive rifles, and the rimfires still have the ejector (as opposed to the extractor on the CF rifles) that pops the shell out over your shoulder with a satisfying "ping" when you open the action. Only weigh ~5#, and could be made lighter by chopping the bbl if the gun were too muzzle-heavy (my Son never liked shooting anything very heavy.)
Old 12-10-2010, 9:18 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62769

This would be a great option if you are going to be doing various types of shooting other than bench. Single shot makes them think about where they are aiming because it tends to be more work than a semi, so thats a plus IMO. These are stout little guns, I just sold one to a buddy for his first rifle and he's loving it. The one I had came with 3 barrels though, not 4 and was the same price as this.
Old 12-10-2010, 6:37 PM

+1 on CZ Scout