Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Tuolumne

Old 02-28-2011, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseeyes View Post
In my county (Tuolumne) they require that all listed guns on the original application be on the list at the time of the application. No such requirement is made for subsequent renewals. Also, I am pretty sure if you later add a gun to an existing permit, they require that the added gun be on the list when the addition is made. In time, I think we will be able to get this changed here.

An interesting side note is that I can have my Kimber .45 listed on my CCW showing .45/.22 allowing me to carry my Kimber with either my .45 slide or with my .22 conversion slide. This effectively gives me 4 on my CCW: Kimber .45/.22; XD-9; and, Rugar LCP .38
Hit Wildhawker with a PM, he will probably be interested to learn this.
Old 02-28-2011, 9:43 AM

What's involved to add a new gun a month or two after getting the Tuolumne county permit?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A simple license amendment, about $10. Request an amendment form from the SO.
Old 03-27-2011, 5:19 AM

A little late on answering this, but the fee charged by the Tuolumne County S/O is $12 according to the paperwork I have.

Wildhawker, I sent you a PM with some information on the CCW application process here. Would like to see what I can do to help.
Old 04-07-2011, 9:36 PM

My brother would like to apply for a permit in this county. Can any one update me on what the process is to get the permit?
Old 04-10-2011, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully007 View Post
My brother would like to apply for a permit in this county. Can any one update me on what the process is to get the permit?

Does no one have any input on this question?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

PM Wildhawker. He'll have the info you need. Your brother could also give the SO a call, maybe THEY know what the process is!!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM

I. PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING TO RECEIVE A CCW LICENSE
A. Obtain a Concealed Weapons License application from either the Sheriff’s
Department or the Community Service Unit (CSU) in the Junction.
B. The application process begins by appointment only with the CSU office in the
Junction. Their phone number for you to call is 209.536.9828.
C. A Tuolumne County application fee of $175.50 will be collected, which includes the
fees required by the State Department of Justice for a fingerprint record check. The
fee payment is to be in the form of a check.
D. An interview will be conducted to review your application and be sure you
understand the legal and moral implications of carrying a concealed weapon.
Training requirements will be explained to you at that time.
E. Following the interview, your training, and if your application is accepted for further
processing, the Sheriff’s Department Civil Unit at 28 N. Lower Sunset in Sonora will
do the following:
1. Send for your Criminal History Record from the California Department of Justice
(requires 6 to 8 weeks for reply).
2. Send for a Drivers License Record from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
3. Check for history of the concealed weapons to be carried.
4. Check for local warrants and criminal history.
F. When the process has been satisfactorily completed, and if your application is
approved, your Concealed Weapons License will be mailed to you. If you are
refused a Concealed Weapons License you will be notified by mail.
II. Public Policy Statement
The California Penal Code allows the sheriff of a county to issue concealed weapons permits
to persons:
1. Who are of good moral character
2. For whom good cause exists for issuance
3. Who reside in the county of issuance
The laws regarding the issuance of CCW’s are contained generally in Penal Code Section
12050-12054.
A copy of this policy will be made available to any person requesting one.
Page 2 of 7
Support 4.05
III. Good Moral Character
The Department must evaluate whether the applicant is of “good moral character.”
An applicant may be presumed to be of good moral character unless they:
A. Are abusers of alcohol or other legal or illegal substances.
B. Find themselves involved in fights, disturbances, or other breaches of the peace.
C. Have been in criminal violation of others’ rights to privacy.
D. Have contacts with law enforcement showing they become involved in incidents
where they have no right or business.
E. Have legal reasons to preclude them from carrying a concealed weapon.
i. Refer to Attachments 1, 2, and 3 at the end of this document
IV. Good Cause
The applicant must prove or show by evidence and/or reasoning that they have good cause for
issuance of a permit. Good cause for the issuance of a concealed weapons permit is generally
that which causes the applicant to be in a position where (s)he is in greater peril of criminal
victimization than the average citizen and/or for whom professional law enforcement assistance
is unreasonably difficult to obtain given their particular circumstances.
Some of the common reasons for desiring a concealed weapons permit, which DO NOT put the
applicant in greater peril of criminal victimization than the average citizen include having to drive
long distances (day or night), protection of home or property (rights already in place attach to
property/business owners in protection of their residences or places of business) and going on
walks/hikes where they may encounter a criminal element. These are not examples of being in
greater peril of criminal victimization than the average citizen.
V. Jurisdiction
For the issuance of a concealed weapons permit, the applicant must reside within the county of
Tuolumne. The terms ‘reside’, ‘residence’ or ‘being a resident’ for the purposes of this policy,
allude to the act of dwelling in a particular place for a prolonged period, continuously, and with
some degree of permanence. In other words, we will tend not to issue permits to those who only
stay here on a temporary basis, or those who work and spend a majority of their time outside of
this county. The minimum amount of time one must reside in Tuolumne County is one year.
VI. Training
A course of training will be successfully completed by each applicant. The course of training may
consist of any course acceptable to the Tuolumne County Sheriff’s Department containing the
general categories of training described as follows: Topics contained in the Basic Firearms
Safety Certificate Workbook as distributed by the California Department of Justice, Office of the
Attorney General, and will also include restrictions on firearm carry, moral aspects of firearm
carry and use, practical application and discussion of the legal aspects of deadly force. The
Department generally won’t require training in excess of 16 hours. Exceptions to the required 16
hours of training may be made on an individual basis at the discretion of the Department.
For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course approved by the
Department and shall include instruction on firearm safety and storage, proper methods of
carrying the firearm, where firearms are prohibited, reasons that could cause the loss of CCW
privileges, threat overviews and what to do if you are involved in a shooting and updated
legislation regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
Page 3 of 7
Support 4.05
The Department will evaluate the training completed by the applicant to determine if it meets the
standard. Training may be waived upon appropriate showing by the applicant.
In any case, the Department may require the applicant to take, or re-take any portion of the
training to demonstrate proficiency and knowledge.
VII. Liability
The Department will establish an enforceable holds harmless clause. There will be no liability to
the Department, the Sheriff or to the authorized agent of the Sheriff for issuing or denying a
permit. Incidents arising from the use of firearms by permit holders will not result in liability being
held against the Department, the Sheriff, or the authorized agent of the Sheriff. In recognition of
their responsibility to the community, concealed weapons permit holders should obtain liability
insurance to further protect the public against the potential result of accidents or incidents.
Denial of an Application
When an application results in the denial of a concealed weapons permit, the Department will
reply in writing to the applicant within 90 days. The written response will be limited to whether or
not the permit has been approved or denied. There is no requirement to justify or explain a
denial of a permit.
VIII. Appeal
There is an appeal process to the denial of a permit within the Department. The
Civil/Coroner/Records Division Lieutenant or other authorized agent of the Sheriff makes the
initial determination as to whether or not to approve the issuance of a permit. If the application is
denied and the applicant desires to appeal the decision, (s)he must appeal within 30 days of the
denial to the authorized agent. The appeal must be in writing and the applicant must state the
reasons why their application should be approved—above and beyond the reasons previously
stated in the CCW application. An additional clarifying interview may or may not be granted. The
applicant will be provided a response within 30 days from the date of receipt of the appeal. The
resulting decision will be final.
IX. Life of the Permit
A permit which is issued to a citizen is valid for any period of time not to exceed two years and
may be revoked at any time—at the sole discretion of the Sheriff. A permit issued to a reserve
peace officer, an out-of-state retired peace officer or a judge is valid for any period of time not to
exceed three years from the date of license and may be revoked at any time—at the sole
discretion of the Sheriff.
X. Appeal of Revoked Permit
A permit that has been revoked by the Sheriff or authorized agent of the Sheriff may be
appealed using the appeal process.
Old 04-10-2011, 7:08 PM

Thank you.
Old 09-20-2011, 8:33 AM

Long time lurker here, but I felt this warrented a post.

I tried to apply for a license in this county following the proceedure that a friend used last year to get his permit and was told today that in order to get an application I had to go through a local business that does a carry class to even obtain the application (as in they give out the application at the class). I was also informed that I need to obtain three character reference letters.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the character reference requirement illegal per Penal Code sections 12051(a)(3)(C) and 12054(d)? Nevermind the fact that it looks like the SD is in bed with the local instructor whom you have to go through to get the application.

Last year permits were supposedly easy to get, but now it sounds like that was just a re-election scheme on the part of our sheriff.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 AM

Anyone?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Hopefully this is the right venue to address this.

I went in today to submit my printed LTC application after a denial from the same issuing agency back in 2007 and was told that they would not accept my printed application, the same one available through CGF to be filled out and printed, as I had not taken their training first and filled out the application in their presence.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the passage of SB 610 last year required the issuing authority to approve or deny good cause before requiring an applicant to take an approved training course. I also don't recall any requirement stating that the application has to be obtained from either the issuing authority or the approved trainer, and at $70 for the training it becomes an expensive application to obtain for something that isn't guaranteed to be issued.

I'm fairly certain I'm correct in this, but I didn't want to push the issue and have them accept my application only for them to note me as what you might call a "troublemaker" and deny me later on.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Any updates on this?
My brother is going to apply and any heads up on issue would be great.

Just Saying!
From my Brain cells to your's
Old 03-08-2013, 2:35 PM

What is good cause for this county?

Just Saying!
From my Brain cells to your's
Old 07-24-2015, 4:00 PM

I picked up my CCW yesterday.

Details of the process:

4-15
I attended the CCW class given by http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/ at Mother Lode Gun Club. They explain that cause can be simply for protection but recommend a secondary explanation. Also, up to 9 guns can be listed on the permit. Only 4 will show on the card, but they will be on the permit. So it is recommended that the ones most likely to be carried be in the first 4.

4-20
I turned in the paperwork at the Sheriff's Dept. along with $110.50.

5-5
Interview. No big deal. I think mostly they want to see you are normal.

5-13
I went to the satellite office in Jamestown to be fingerprinted. It took just a few minutes.

7-23
I received a letter stating that I have been approved and to come and pick it up, which I did right away. I had to pay $70.25.

When I picked it up I asked if I could add another gun to the permit. I am to call in two weeks and then pay $12. I also changed the order in which the guns are to be listed.

A little over 3 months start to finish.
Old 07-24-2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRocks View Post

Details of the process:

4-15

I attended the CCW class given by http://www.weaponstrainingschool.com/ at Mother Lode Gun Club. They explain that cause can be simply for protection but recommend a secondary explanation. Also, up to 9 guns can be listed on the permit. Only 4 will show on the card, but they will be on the permit. So it is recommended that the ones most likely to be carried be in the first 4.

4-20

I turned in the paperwork at the Sheriff's Dept. along with $110.50.

5-5

Interview. No big deal. I think mostly they want to see you are normal.

5-13

I went to the satellite office in Jamestown to be fingerprinted. It took just a few minutes.

7-23

I received a letter stating that I have been approved and to come and pick it up, which I did right away. I had to pay $70.25.

When I picked it up I asked if I could add another gun to the permit. I am to call in two weeks and then pay $12. I also changed the order in which the guns are to be listed.

So you took the class before putting in your paper work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2015, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Congrats!

Be sure to encourage other Tuolumne folk to apply and get theirs, if nothing else, so they can carry when visiting the SFBA.
Old 07-24-2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully007 View Post
So you took the class before putting in your paper work?

Yes. I believe they gave me the forms to fill out as well.
Old 07-24-2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Congrats!

Be sure to encourage other Tuolumne folk to apply and get theirs, if nothing else, so they can carry when visiting the SFBA.
There are quite a few of us up here. Approx 1040 out of a population of 54,000. While Alameda county has only 158 out of 1,579,000.

I'm looking forward to visiting the SFBA myself.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
There are quite a few of us up here. Approx 1040 out of a population of 54,000. While Alameda county has only 158 out of 1,579,000.

I'm looking forward to visiting the SFBA myself.

Old 02-06-2017, 3:41 PM

Any update on good cause?
Old 04-16-2018, 8:36 PM

not much has changed since Sully007 posted.

2 month process.

Picked up packet from sheriffs office

Feb 14 attended CCW class

turned packet in a day or so later to sheriffs office

received approval letter exactly 2 weeks after turning packet in, requiring to call for an interview appointment.

Next available interview appointment was 19 March (they only do 1 per month) and it was a group interview of about 7 of us. More educational than anything else.

Approved at the interview to continue by doing live scan, which I did on 23 March.

Received a letter today 16 April, stating my CCW permit is ready for pick up.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpest View Post
not much has changed since Sully007 posted.

2 month process.

Picked up packet from sheriffs office

Feb 14 attended CCW class

turned packet in a day or so later to sheriffs office

received approval letter exactly 2 weeks after turning packet in, requiring to call for an interview appointment.

Next available interview appointment was 19 March (they only do 1 per month) and it was a group interview of about 7 of us. More educational than anything else.

Approved at the interview to continue by doing live scan, which I did on 23 March.

Received a letter today 16 April, stating my CCW permit is ready for pick up.

My brother just got his...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 7:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Took my CCW renewal class today. Found out during the 1st 5 minutes that Gov. Jerry Brown changed the rules last Friday: renewing CCW holders now have to qualify with each gun they want listed on their CCW permit (in the past live fire qualification was not required for renewals, so I wasn’t planning on shooting today and I didn’t have all the needed guns, ammo, misc. shooting equipment with me) and now only 3 guns are permitted. On top of that, the educational handout stated that there was a $22.xx additional fee for each gun you wanted added to the permit. My current CCW permit has 4 guns listed, was planning on adding a 5th.

Adding to this frustration, with these very recent changes, the class instructors were only partially aware of the CCW permit change details. One of the instructors stated to me that the 3 gun limit was not part of Gov. Jerry Brown’s action, but that it was being made unilaterally by the Tuolumne County Sheriff.... which really frustrated me because I was told in my initial CCW permit interview by the sheriff officer conducting the interview that our Sheriff was a Constitutionalist. After personally contacting the Sheriff’s Office later that day to confirm all the CCW regulation changes, I learned that this wasn’t true. Our good Governor and his Sacramento Democratic friends are the sole reason for this latest eroding of our 2A Rights.

Please note, I have no ill feelings towards the organization that conducted my CCW renewal class today. I’ve taken multiple classes with them in the past and I will continue to do so in the future. They just got these latest regulation changes this week and were doing their best to educate themselves and their students. I’m also relieved (and very thankful) to hear that our Tuolumne County Sheriff didn’t add additional layers of regulation or cost to our already over regulated and costly 2A CCW Rights.

Last edited by lookoutlinn; 11-14-2018 at 7:27 PM..
Old 09-22-2021, 1:18 PM

Checking in to see if anyone has applied recently to Tuolumne County. I just signed up for my initial class in November. Coming up on my one year anniversary living in the County. According to Sheriff website must be a resident for 12 months before applying.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

I know this is a necro thread, but wanted to give an update on Tuolumne County's procedure.

Here is the link to the SO CCW page: https://www.tuolumnecounty.ca.gov/342/CCW

Scroll down a bit and you will see a link to view/download a PDF that details the procedure and fees.

I am going to take the class and start the process soon.
-P
Old 05-10-2022, 7:32 PM

145 days from application submission to the email from the sheriffs office saying I was approved.
Old 06-23-2022, 7:54 PM

I will be moving to this county soon from stanislaus, should I try to get my ccw before I come into the county? Is it harder to get in this county?
Old 06-18-2023, 9:06 AM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Just a couple of notes RE Tuolumne County:

Note 1: I finally got my CCW in July 2022 after a 104 day wait. At the time, I was told there was backlog from all the Covid BS.

Note 2: We moved from Columbia to Sonora in March 2023, so I had to modify my permit.

There is a link to "Modify" on the CCW page. They don't tell you up-front that have to update your AFS record via CFARS for your permitted guns, nor do they tell you that have to change your residence address with DMV. You just get notices that you need to provide the documents. You also have to upload your ID, CCW Course Certificate, a utility bill showing your residence address and evidence from CFARS and DMV. The cost was $33.

Be sure to update your CFARs and DMV residence address before you start the application process and have the all the documents ready to upload.

No interview or live scan required for a 'modification. It took almost a month for my modified CCW to be approved.
-P
Old 12-23-2023, 4:02 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Spoke with TC Sheriff's CCW person yesterday, so I'll add a few notes...

1. You should apply for renewal 60 days prior to your expiration date.

2. You can attend the class and shooting qual 90 days prior to your expiration date.

3. There is no change to the course of fire for 2024.

If I hear of anything else regarding Tuolumne County's CCW I'll update this thread.
-P