Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 09-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Default Jammed Colt 1908 .25 Vest Pocket

I've made a big mistake.I purchased a Colt .25 and took it apart to clean some rust off of the barrel.I did something wrong in the reassembly (possibly cocked it?).Now the slide is to the back and wont move forward.The barrel appears to be too far back and is bound up somewhat. Can it be fixed?
Old 09-13-2010, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

From Wiki.answers.com:

Disassembly of a Colt 1908 .25 Auto pistol is actually very simple. Here is the step-by-step (remove the magazine and make sure the gun is not cocked first):

1. Pull back the slide partway until the front face of the slide is almost far enough back to be flush with the front of the frame, but not quite (This may take some experimentation. The easiest way to do this is to hold the gun in your right hand as if you were going to shoot it, but instead of wrapping your fingers around the grip, put all four of them over the top of the slide and pull them back toward your thumb. This will cause the slide to come back while leaving your other hand free for the next step.).

2. Unlock the barrel with your left hand by grabbing the muzzle where those handy little flutes are and twisting it towards you. The slide has to be in just the right position for this to work, so it might take a few attempts. When you get it, the barrel will rotate toward you and then stop. When it does, release the slide; it should move forward until it and the barrel fall off of the frame. From there the rest is easy. The barrel comes out of the slide from the bottom, the striker and spring come out the back of the slide, and the recoil spring and guide rod pull right out of the frame. This is all the further you need to disassemble the gun to be able to thoroughly clean it.

3. To reassemble the gun, put the striker and spring back in the slide and put the guide rod and recoil spring back where they came from. When you put the barrel into the slide, be sure to line up the locking lugs on the bottom with the notches in the slide and then rotate it until it is locked in place. If you don't, the slide will not go back on the gun.

4. Slide the slide back onto the frame, being careful to keep the barrel locked into the slide and to line up the recoil spring with the hole underneath the barrel. Pull the slide back to the position you had it in when the barrel unlocked, and twist it away from you until it stops. Now, when you release the slide, it should move to its normal position and stop. You're done!

See if you can figure out what you did wrong... did you rotate the barrel during reassembly?

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 09-14-2010, 6:23 AM

Yes,I think I pulled the slide back too far before rotating the barrel.The plunger below the barrel is sticking out the front.The barrel will slide clear back into the magazine well area.
Old 09-15-2010, 6:07 PM

Pull back the slide as much as you can. Look down on the ejection port and push the barrel back while pulling back the slide. Make sure the barrel grooves are not contacting the grooves on the slide and rotate the barrel. Its going to take multiple tries, but you'll get it. Dont be afraid to use some muscle or another person because its hard to pull the slide back and rotate at the same time.
They are awesome little guns.
Old 09-16-2010, 6:12 AM

Thanks.I'll try that tonight. Yes,they are great guns.I had one several years ago and let it go.
Old 09-16-2010, 9:00 AM

Default colt 1908

The grips on the 1908 I'v got are cracked. Any suggestions on what kind of glue to use? I believe it is a early model as it does not have the mag removed non fire action. Thanks
hogbody74
Old 09-17-2010, 3:13 AM

Thanks alliwantisapepsi! That worked exactly as you said it would.
Old 09-17-2010, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

A huge WELCOME to all the new members posting on this thread! Simply amazing!

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"