Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Default I shoot my AR to much (painfull story)

I went to the range today mainly for personal defense pistol training, put about 100 rounds down range after that was done came the fun part, we took out our AR's and other weapons of minor destruction. I put a magazine or two down the AR and took a small break. A buddy of mine handed me his remington 870, almost bone stock except for a pistol grip and small flash light, it was loaded with 3 inch magnum 00-buck shot. I grabbed the pistol grip and thought in my mind, "oah another AR." and proceeded to hold the shotgun like so.

Riding very high on the buttstock and bringing the optic to your eye and not your eye to the optic. I then shot a very fast 3 round burst from the pump shotgun........I don't think I'll be shouldering any firearm for atleast a few weeks, it hurts just to type this out. Please learn from my mistake and dont fire your shotguns like AR's.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

hahaha .... sorry !!! But funny ....
Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post
Please learn from my mistake and dont fire your shotguns like AR's.
That's part of the fun...

Anyway, sell the remmy and get a converted Saiga 12 and you can shoulder it like an AR.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 AM

I hope the willy nilly can make yuh feel better! Haha I just shot an 18lb AR in 5.56 and a 9lb savage in 7mm Mag. I shot the AR first and was a little surprised at the recoil of the savage to say the least
Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988 View Post
Anyway, sell the remmy and get a converted Saiga 12 and you can shoulder it like an AR.
Magnum shotshell and slug loads fired from short, pump shotguns produce fierce recoil, and thus Semi-Automatic shotguns, such as a converted Saiga 12, the Benelli M4, and the like, are the way to go.

- CDR E.E. Evans, USN, October 27, 1943
at USS Johnston's commissioning
Old 08-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Calguns Addict

LoL.. Happens to me. You'll get used to it.
Old 08-28-2010, 1:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I put a magazine or two down the AR and took a small break. A buddy of mine handed me his remington 870, almost bone stock except for a pistol grip and small flash light, it was loaded with 3 inch magnum 00-buck shot. I grabbed the pistol grip and thought in my mind, "oah another AR."

Riding very high on the buttstock and bringing the optic to your eye and not your eye to the optic. I then shot a very fast 3 round burst from the pump shotgun........I don't think I'll be shouldering any firearm for atleast a few weeks, it hurts just to type this out. Please learn from my mistake and dont fire your shotguns like AR's.
so you didn't notice the recoil until after the first round, the first sliding action, the second round, the second sliding action, and the third round?
I'm a pissed off Bernie supporter ...
By the way, Bernie's support for gun control was somewhere between non-existent and tepid.
per CNN:
Quote:
SANDERS: I have, as I understand it, a lifetime voting record from the NRA of D-minus. ...I voted against the NRA, and I voted to ban certain types of semiautomatic weapons....
Old 08-28-2010, 6:16 AM
Calguns Addict

this is what you call being lazy, now you learned from your mistake, hopefully you wont make it again.
Old 08-28-2010, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalNRA View Post
so you didn't notice the recoil until after the first round, the first sliding action, the second round, the second sliding action, and the third round?
Truth be told, I was a victum of my own pride and wanted show how fast I could destroy a target in 3 rounds if only my pride hurt more than my shoulder does.
Old 08-28-2010, 8:43 AM

ROFL. I feel your pain brother. I loaded up some hot 3" 15 pellet 00 buck in my 870 with a pistol grip, dropped in like normal and got a nice cheek slap or three that really smarted. Shoulder felt it a bit too. I had the stock set pretty short which made it worse, but it's a quick reminder ain't it!
“Obama is the weakest of U.S. presidents, he had humiliating defeats in the region. Under him the Islamic awakening happened.” “Americans witnessed their greatest defeats in Obama’s era: Terrorism expanded, [the] U.S. had huge defeats under Obama [and] that is why they want to compromise with Iran.”

Ali Younesi, senior advisor to the Iranian President.
Old 08-28-2010, 8:47 AM

i suffered some self mutilation at the range yesterday as well with some magnum 00 buckshots. luckily we were smart enough to stop at one each.
Old 08-28-2010, 8:50 AM

And we always go back for more...
Old 08-28-2010, 9:07 AM

Haha....too much AR shooting and you become a wennie!

The cure: Buy a Mosin M44 and shoot 100 rounds as fast as you can. When you can handle that, you are good to go.
Old 08-28-2010, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Dave View Post
Haha....too much AR shooting and you become a wennie!

The cure: Buy a Mosin M44 and shoot 100 rounds as fast as you can. When you can handle that, you are good to go.
This.
Old 08-28-2010, 9:50 AM

When I was younger and dumber I took my Rossi Overland coach gun and foolishly (index and middle fingers on the double triggers) squeezed off both barrels at the same time of 3" nitro mag slugs... my fingers hurt for a year!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 AM

I did the same thing one time with a Mosin-Nagant M44 one time. 10 Rounds and I couldn't take it any more!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I think we have all done this once...I am so dense I forgot and have done it twice.

loosey-goosey shouldered a 10ga master-key once...thats something I will NEVER do again.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
When I was younger and dumber I took my Rossi Overland coach gun and foolishly (index and middle fingers on the double triggers) squeezed off both barrels at the same time of 3" nitro mag slugs... my fingers hurt for a year!
that hurts just thinking about that
Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Since I never had or fired a gun until I joined the Army, the only rifle I knew anything about when I was young was the M-16.

My squad leader was showing off his scoped 30.06 bolt rifle, and asked me if I'd like to try it out.

I got into a good firing position, good cheek weld, and had my nose touching the rear of the bolt - just like I would the charging handle on an M-16.

1) I hit the target.

2) The cut over my eye didn't require stitches, but did require some butterfly bandages.

3) I learned that no one will warn you of impending danger if they think it will be funny.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 AM

I feel you Pyro. A buddy of mine just picked up a new Mossberg 590 and took it out for a few buck shots run on all factory parts and the Buck shots were pretty unforgiving. So he orders a Knoxx Recoil Reduction stock. Brought it out again just last week, and it does not help.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
3) I learned that no one will warn you of impending danger if they think it will be funny.
Quote of the day!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

I modified my Magpul UBR for use with 458 Socom/ 50 Beowulf uppers...with hot loads and being very lightweight ...those 2 kick much worse than a heavy 338 Lapua Mag.

I used really high quality machined shoulder bolts and bearing surfaces...smooth as silk and you could still beat down a door with it...very solid. I matched the length of the shoulder bolts as well as the length of the heavy duty springs to do exactly two things....just as the outer recoil pad is contacting the inner pad I have the spring length set to coil bind...this prevents the 2 shoulder screws from protruding from the rear of the outer pad.

I can now shoot the big bruisers with nothing more than a gentle push instead of that baseball bat slap those 2 do in lightweight AR's.

Last edited by shadowofnight; 10-01-2010 at 6:21 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Truth be told, I was a victum of my own pride and wanted show how fast I could destroy a target in 3 rounds if only my pride hurt more than my shoulder does.
Old 08-29-2010, 1:32 PM

I also know this lesson well. Though usually it's because i was shooting a 22 before hand, which makes the shock worse.
[Luke 22:36] International Standard Version (©2008)
Then he said to them, "But now whoever has a wallet must take it along, and his traveling bag, too. And the one who has no sword must sell his coat and buy one."
Old 08-29-2010, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemisis1400 View Post
I also know this lesson well. Though usually it's because i was shooting a 22 before hand, which makes the shock worse.
ouch, I was just thankfull I wasn't holding it like a 22lr and high up on the buttstock or I propbably would have ended up in the doctors office.
Old 08-29-2010, 3:14 PM

i was out in the desert shooting my new shotgun barrel with slugs. i mounted a scope with that square b mount. my other friend was shooting clays with a tire mounted launcher. well.... my second frined grabbed my slug gun, claims he can hit a clay mid air. i let him. we are in the middle of nowhere and i dont think the slug will fly too far anyways. well he had never fired a slug just bird shot, he had never fired a scope just an m16 from basic. he scoped his eye and needed stitches. blood was running down his face. we packed up and drove an hour and a half to the lomalinda va hospital.

and he didnt even hit the clay.
Old 08-29-2010, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofnight View Post
I modified my Magpul UBR for use with 458 Socom/ 50 Beowulf uppers...with hot loads and being very lightweight ...those 2 kick much worse than a heavy 338 Lapua Mag.

I used really high quality machined shoulder bolts and bearing surfaces...smooth as silk and you could still beat down a door with it...very solid. I matched the length of the shoulder bolts as well as the length of the heavy duty springs to do exactly two things....just as the outer recoil pad is contacting the inner pad I have the spring length set to coil bind...this prevents the 2 shoulder screws from protruding from the rear of the outer pad.

I can now shoot the big bruisers with nothing more than a gentle push instead of that baseball bat slap those 2 do in lightweight AR's.

]
that is a damn good idea. i think i can manage something like that with my ace skeleton stock. might have to fabricate a little plate or something but imm going to do it!
Old 08-29-2010, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalNRA View Post
The adrenaline was flowing...

Old 08-29-2010, 6:32 PM
Banned

I find that riding the buttstock high doesn't work for me.
Old 08-29-2010, 6:44 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Get a mosin nagant and a few spam cans of ammo, shoot it all up and the 12 gauge won't hurt a bit and you'll have new exciting stories to tell.
Old 08-29-2010, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Put in 2X 00 buck shells in a twin trigger side by side shotgun, and pull both triggers at once.

Nothing will ever have the same hard-kicking feel again

-Dave
Old 08-29-2010, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
Put in 2X 00 buck shells in a twin trigger side by side shotgun, and pull both triggers at once.

Nothing will ever have the same hard-kicking feel again

-Dave
Did that with a 20ga, I know its no where near a 12ga but it was still fun the less.