Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 PM

hey guys, im a new calgunner and a new ar15 owner....its also my first firearm...ive put about 200 rds through it at the rancho cordova shooting range, and by all means, i love the place and enjoy shooting there...but as i look at the fees, $15 for the range fee adds up over time, especially if i go every week, which is what i have been doing. now from what ive been reading and hearing about this spenceville place, im getting both sides of the fence. im currently residing in the north sacramento area, and i would like to eventually visit spenceville on one of my range days. just trying to see if its worth the drive and saving the extra $15 by going to this range, or is it just a waste of time with a bunch of stupid, immature, unsafe shooters getting drunk?

honestly i wouldnt mind going up there to try out my ar15 without a 1 shot 1 second rule one time or so....but, also i wouldnt want to be out there with these "hooligans" who are "messing it up" for everyone else....

thanks for the info guys, hope to see you out on the ranges!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspeed9i6 View Post
im currently residing in the north sacramento area, and i would like to eventually visit spenceville on one of my range days. just trying to see if its worth the drive and saving the extra $15 by going to this range, or is it just a waste of time with a bunch of stupid, immature, unsafe shooters getting drunk?
I only shoot up there because it's the closest place (besides maybe Oroville which is usually packed) to home (Yuba City). A lot of the problems with litter and dumping are being worked on with the rangers cracking down, as well as doing a controlled burn to get rid of a lot of tall brush and grass that was overgrowing the range, but the main problem is still the lack of safety.

I personally have left this range early on more than one occasion because of shooters being completely unsafe. I've seen teenage kids come out with not compliant firearms (usually an AK or Daddy's AR) and hipfire 30 rnd mags into the ground and point their weapons around and posing for myspace pics. I've had people shoot crossrange at my targets, trying to start some sort of pissing match with me. The young guys are the ones that anger me the most. I'm young myself, only 22, but I know what is and isn't safe range practices, and I don't think it's too much to ask that these young people do the same.

I was there probably three or four weeks ago, and a man who was supposed to be showing his girlfriend/wife the ropes of handgun shooting and safety just walks out to the 30 yard berm while people are still firing on the line, no clear, no ceasefire, just walks on out there and starts setting up targets. A terrible example to be setting for a novice shooter.

Save your gas and your time, don't go to spenceville
Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
I only shoot up there because it's the closest place (besides maybe Oroville which is usually packed) to home (Yuba City).
Actually it is not the closest to home...

www.twincitiesgunclub.com
Old 08-16-2010, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgunz View Post
Actually it is not the closest to home...

www.twincitiesgunclub.com
Excuse me, I should have specified, closest FREE range. Also the Twinscities outdoor range is super small. It's okay for sighting in a rifle before going hunting but it's not good for a day at the range. Limited range, and limited space. But true, I should have said I meant free ranges. Personally I would rather deal with spenceville being a dump than shoot at that itty bitty range.

Last edited by omgwtfbbq; 08-16-2010 at 9:06 AM..
Old 08-16-2010, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnick308 View Post
Last Sunday(8/8/10) the Ranger showed up and started writing up fines to people. Thankfully I did not get one.
Its about time. It sickens me when people bring anything but paper or clay to shoot at. Keep you bottles, cans, trash, at home or get fined. Follow the FREE range rules or get fined. Hooray!
Old 08-16-2010, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, I should have specified, closest FREE range. Also the Twinscities outdoor range is super small. It's okay for sighting in a rifle before going hunting but it's not good for a day at the range. Limited range, and limited space. But true, I should have said I meant free ranges. Personally I would rather deal with spenceville being a dump than shoot at that itty bitty range.

100 yards is not really "itty bitty" but okay......

I guess it is a matter of perception but I have spent many days there.... all day.
Old 08-16-2010, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnick308 View Post
Last Sunday(8/8/10) the Ranger showed up and started writing up fines to people. Thankfully I did not get one.
It's about damn time. Maybe that will make idiots think twice.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 08-16-2010, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgunz View Post
100 yards is not really "itty bitty" but okay......

I guess it is a matter of perception but I have spent many days there.... all day.
I wasn't meaning to offend... The range is nice, just too small for my tastes. I like being able to shoot out to 200 or more yards, and shoot skeet if I want to do so.
Old 08-16-2010, 6:17 PM

Angry My comments made about 4 months ago on this

I can safely predict that Spenceville will be closed within two years. But why or why the sheep ask. Well boys and girls because the powers that be want it that way! Shooting on public lands is doomed to be but a dusty memory that only old guys will talk about. The Spenceville shooting range is great place but without some policing, private or public the place is literally a target for closure.

The condescending tone is intentional! I want the shooting community pissed enough to actually get off their collective a..s and act. We’ve got very few places to shoot and the places you can are crowded, virtual garbage dumps where anarchy can prevail. A couple of guys I was talking to said gang bangers are driving up there shooting like idiots and according to these people possibly illegal autos Most shooters are responsible and will do the right thing but there is an element of society that does not help our sport.

I went out to Spenceville only one time about a week ago and had a great time. I live in Vallejo, why did I drive all that way to shoot? Well that would be because Knoxville BLM land is closed to shooting! The trend of closing areas to shooting has been relentless and long.

The BLM, Forest Service, Sheriffs Departments and the State of California would like nothing better to kick shooting enthusiasts out and reduce their exposure to potential problems that involve “evil” firearms. The voting public is likely on their side. The average Californian these days think gun think - bad.
So you ask “what do we do!” First contribute to Calguns, second tell others about Calguns and organize. Maybe we can convince the local legislators that we are not all ignorant, ill-informed, gun toting Bubbas. No funding is given to these places that have literally hundreds of tax paying citizens enjoying yet there is room in the budget for various parks and public areas that don’t have a quarter of the use. I met a great guy out there who has been volunteering his time since the late 70’s out at Spenceville cleaning up the trash, cutting the weeds and gently informing shooters about the rules. We need to kick out a few bucks out to support basic maintenance or the average Joe non-shooter is going to look at photos of these places and say “close down that noisy, nuisance that looks like a dump”.

Its time to scream that we need our fair share. After all you all do realize that you pay extra taxes on the ammunition, guns and licenses that we do not get a proportionate share. My two cents ORGANIZE, INFLUENCE AND FUND. Calguns sponsorship of this area?
Old 08-16-2010, 6:19 PM

cool thx for the info guys....i guess ill just keep shooting at my rancho cordova range...i wouldve really hated to be dissapointed if i drove out that far to spenceville....sucks that there has to be that many idiots out there...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspeed9i6 View Post
cool thx for the info guys....i guess ill just keep shooting at my rancho cordova range...i wouldve really hated to be dissapointed if i drove out that far to spenceville....sucks that there has to be that many idiots out there...
I have my favorites depending on the type of shooting planned and time of day/week. So mix it up and try out the Sac Valley and Yolo range as well if you want to try something new that is not all that far away.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was at Spenceville a few days ago and although it was a bit littered with garbage and the fact that someone (CDF?) did a controlled burn and the range had been cleared of fire hazard's does not lead me to believe that they intend to shut down the range. If they did plan on shutting this range down why would they bother with any up keep? I understand that them clearing the dry grass is preventable fire control's but if they wanted to shut the range down nothing would provide a better motive than a fire set by "irresponsible" firearms owners. I have been shooting at Spencville for 19 years. I have never once seen and Law Enforcement patrol the range one single time. And as much as i dislike the idiot's at Spenceville I doubt some moron with a full auto firearm will be the reason the range gets shut down. I believe that the guys calling Law Enforcement on the idiot's at the range will contribute more to the closure than anything. It is like anything the more complaints and the more that units respond the more ammunition anyone with the intent of shutting the range down will have. I am not saying that illegal activities are right I left on Thursday because some morons were smoking weed and were spinning in circles trying to clear a stuck round in a side folding Mini-14 sweeping anyone and everyone at the range. All I am saying is that we can only do what we can, go to the range edjucate those who appear to need it and are willing to listen,be safe and responsible shooter's and pack out what we packed in.
Old 08-17-2010, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and see over the next few months if the conditions as far as policing improve because I have many fond memories of shooting there with my family going way back, but as of now, enforcement is pretty week. I did see a game warden there a few months back who thought some chumps with tacticool ARs who were bumpfiring had full autos and made them break down their rigs and prove they weren't. However, he completely disregarded that all of them were carrying and using 30 rnd mags. I personally don't care about magazine capacity, but it's the law and it's a dumb risk to take. My point being that enforcement needs to go WAY up. I see CHP out of Hammonton Smartville Rd and even down Spenceville, so there's LE in the area, just barely ever at the range.

I'm hopefully going Thursday, but I haven't decided if I wanna try Spenceville again or just drive to Oroville.
Old 08-23-2010, 4:52 PM

Took a couple buddies to shoot my MG42 and some other stuff on Friday and it was actually pretty clean. Unless I'm shooting my Remington 700 I usually don't put up my own targets and just shoot at stuff people leave behind and I had a hard time finding stuff to shoot at. The Osama target on the hill was still there, it was there when I went a month and half ago, lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 8:00 PM

Trash is one thing, some bottles and old appliances never bothered me. But it is when places turn into Dump sites that it gets out of control, sometimes looking to the point of a house being gutted there with beds sofas and other crap, and piles of garbage, That happened a lot at Colfax and it got annoying.

I do understand the anal part of it, I've been in trouble myself even for having soda bottles filled with water attached to my target stands, as I like to do, attaching balloons or clays along my stand, or water filled bottles, apparently that is still littering even though I have trash bags loaded with my mess and others. But hammering the dirt with copper and lead and brass is fine. *shrugz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Isn't it funny how the government decides what is and isn't clean enough, even when they let our parks and other public areas erode on a daily basis. I can't possible understand why the GOVT is SOOOOO upset about some trash on a shooting range. I just don't buy it. As far as someone shooting the benches goes, who gives a ****? They're concrete! Men are crazy and they like to shoot **** with guns. How about just not worrying about blown up propane bottles and broken beer bottles? Does it really matter that much? That is a rhetorical question, of course. NObody should give a **** about that. All the old shooting ranges I enjoyed as younger man were like that and it was a blast to shoot at them. Today, they're so damn santized, it's boring. It's all bull**** intended to punish the lowly public that should be so appreciative of what the government gives them. Fight back!

Sacramento Photography
www.wolf-photo.com
Old 08-25-2010, 8:43 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Isn't it funny how the government decides what is and isn't clean enough, even when they let our parks and other public areas erode on a daily basis. I can't possible understand why the GOVT is SOOOOO upset about some trash on a shooting range. I just don't buy it. As far as someone shooting the benches goes, who gives a ****? They're concrete! Men are crazy and they like to shoot **** with guns. How about just not worrying about blown up propane bottles and broken beer bottles? Does it really matter that much? That is a rhetorical question, of course. NObody should give a **** about that. All the old shooting ranges I enjoyed as younger man were like that and it was a blast to shoot at them. Today, they're so damn santized, it's boring. It's all bull**** intended to punish the lowly public that should be so appreciative of what the government gives them. Fight back!
anarchist, Can't help but flame you ... With freedom comes self-restraint and personal responsibility. I can agree with you that the goverment, as it is today, has an agenda and supporting shooting sports is not one of them. The idea that leaving shooting trash and intentionally damaging public property is OK because "men are crazy and they like to shoot ### with guns" displays a level of maturity not commensurate with the handling of firearms. I assume your handle pretty much says it all. Out for you, yourself and F### the rest of us. I have seen other recreational areas destroyed and then taken away from the general public (OHV riding areas) in recent times. The guys who messed it up sounded a whole lot like you did in your post. Could not agree more that the shooting public needs to be more politically active but also proactive and clean up yours (and others) crap they leave behind. Think the old Honda promo "you meet the nicest people on a Honda (insert with an AK)" We need the general non-shooting public's good graces to be successful.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think we need some idiot goverment employee worrying about us proving to him that our weapons are auto or semi auto. They must not have enough to do in your neck of the woods. You don't want law enforcement anywhere near your shooting ranges. They're nothing but trouble. They'll be the first ones shot when the **** hits the fan.
Firstly, that's a little tin-toil-hat for my tastes. But to answer some questions you've raised, yes there really isn't anything else for the local law enforcement to do. It's a rural community where the biggest issue is maybe pot farming. Not exactly capitol murder.

But I think the reason you believe I wouldn't mind LEOs walking around the range is to police my guns. That's not the case. The reason I wouldn't mind them there is because I don't break the law and I practice firearms safety, but there are others there who don't do either. If I was go to up to some young guy and say "hey, please don't point your rifle around like that, it's not safe." It's porbably not gonna mean much to some young gangster punk out with his buddies. I'm only 22. He's probably not gonna take me seriously.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM

Going to Spencerville and have a question so I don't find myself getting fined.

Can I shoot small steel targets that hang from my paper target stand with a .22?

If yes, is jacketed ok or just lead?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigma View Post
Going to Spencerville and have a question so I don't find myself getting fined.

Can I shoot small steel targets that hang from my paper target stand with a .22?

If yes, is jacketed ok or just lead?

Thanks!
Technically speaking the signs at Spenceville state paper and clay only, but I was there yesterday and it looks like business as usual, garbage everywhere. wood, bottles, cans, metal targets, everything.

However realistically, the likelihood of you getting fined for it is minimal. I see guys shooting the small metal hanging targets out there all the time. Even when the wardens stop in, and they never seem to care.
Old 08-31-2010, 3:30 PM

Used to shoot at Spenceville years ago and, even then, the real trash problem was some of the people who showed up to shoot there. Three teeth and two guns does not a sportsman make.
Old 08-31-2010, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wasn't meaning to offend... The range is nice, just too small for my tastes. I like being able to shoot out to 200 or more yards, and shoot skeet if I want to do so.
The rock outcropping on the hill is 350yards.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Technically speaking the signs at Spenceville state paper and clay only, but I was there yesterday and it looks like business as usual, garbage everywhere. wood, bottles, cans, metal targets, everything.

However realistically, the likelihood of you getting fined for it is minimal. I see guys shooting the small metal hanging targets out there all the time. Even when the wardens stop in, and they never seem to care.
Thanks for the info. These of course would come home with me and get used repeatedly...not like I'm hauling in trash to shoot at.

I will be hauling out some trash with me when I leave if anyone cares to join.
Old 09-01-2010, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. These of course would come home with me and get used repeatedly...not like I'm hauling in trash to shoot at.

When we talkin?
Old 09-01-2010, 9:53 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

What day?

Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, WAR has never solved anything.

- (More info here)
Old 09-02-2010, 1:53 AM

Looks like only tomorrow (Thurs.) will fit in the schedule. Getting there early since it looks like it will be a hot one.

Hoping a weekday morning means it will be quiet and tweaker-free. Short notice I know...

If I like the place I will be back often.
Old 09-02-2010, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Looks like only tomorrow (Thurs.) will fit in the schedule. Getting there early since it looks like it will be a hot one.

Hoping a weekday morning means it will be quiet and tweaker-free. Short notice I know...

If I like the place I will be back often.
Well unfortunately I can't/couldn't make it because i'm in class until this afternoon. I was there Monday and overall it was a decent day. The only annoyance was a couple of armchair gun intellectuals waxing about how much they think they know about guns and how good of a shot they are, but that's kind of bound to happen anywhere I suppose.

As far as trash, it's looking pretty rough but not as bad as it has been. If I didn't drive a 2-door honda, I would have carried more than just my target out.

Hope the range suits you, or at least that it isn't too terrible to you. haha.

-Chris
Old 09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I was out there today, there wasn't as much trash as usual. The controlled burn must have cut down on it some.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 09-06-2010, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreslinger View Post
Last time I was there, some idiot started firing when we had a cease fire going. My Son and daughter were on the range with me along with some othe folks. The guy next to me started reaming them a new one and they packed up and left. I was tempted to return fire. My Son was at the 100 yard pit setting up targets and my daughter was behind me setting up 25 yard pistol/22 targets. Don't know what I would have done had one of my kids been hurt. I love Spenceville but it needs a range master. Have not been back since.
Unfortunately, The idiots are everywhere. I used to go to Colfax and take the dirt road under the train tracks to a little spot. I shot there every weekend for almost two years. A couple months ago I brought out a benchrest that I made out of scrap wood and painted free to use, don't shoot. It took one week for some jackasses to blow it to hell. Then the sheriffs came out and said they are closing it for good because the same guys were also shooting at the train.

I just go to Sac vally shooting center now but even there, I had a guy leave his rifle on fire with a round in the chamber right next to me on cease fire. RM chewed his *** and the guy left.

I have never been to spenceville but I would be down to help any of my fellow calgunners clean it up if you need help.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 PM

My first experience at Spenceville was a good one.

Meet some good people, felt everyone acted safe, and was surprised at the number of people that showed up that day.

There was lots of trash, but it was mostly small in size (shells & targets left behind). No big appliances around. Next time I will get there earlier to clean up more before people get there.

I will definitely go back, and will probably try to do so again on a weekday. A CalGuns clean up would be great. If no one else wants to spearhead this, then I guess it will be on me to get the ball rolling.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My first experience at Spenceville was a good one.

Meet some good people, felt everyone acted safe, and was surprised at the number of people that showed up that day.

There was lots of trash, but it was mostly small in size (shells & targets left behind). No big appliances around. Next time I will get there earlier to clean up more before people get there.

I will definitely go back, and will probably try to do so again on a weekday. A CalGuns clean up would be great. If no one else wants to spearhead this, then I guess it will be on me to get the ball rolling.
It's definitely dependent one when you go. I've had a lot of good times there and a lot of bad ones. I just try to avoid weekends at all cost.

I would very much be interested in participating in a cleanup. I don't have a vehicle that would be suitable to haul anything but I can at least lend a hand, or possibly borrow a buddy's truck.
Old 09-07-2010, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I haven't been there in almost a month (shooting elsewhere lately) but every time i've been there over the past year it was relatively clean and safe.

you don't rise to the occasion,
you just fall back on your level of training.
Old 11-13-2010, 1:42 PM

Exclamation

WATCH YOUR TABLE, NEVER LEAVE GUNS & AMMO UNATTENDED at SPENCEVILLE

somebody stole the ammo off my table once while I went down range to put up a target and they were gone before I returned

have somebody stand by your table to watch your gear or lock it in your vehicle before turning your back on your guns & gear
Old 11-13-2010, 2:13 PM

Spenceville is a free range... I guess this just goes to show that you get what you pay for. Thanks for the warning Omega.
Old 11-13-2010, 4:14 PM

Well it's been a year (almost, it will be in two more days) since I originally dropped in here to mention the Sheriff explaining the range was scheduled for termination. Spenceville remains open. But I've got to wonder if it's still on a 'hit list.' Whatever the case may be, I'm glad that at least for now it continues to be available for us even in spite of the less than favorable crowd that frequents the range.
Old 11-13-2010, 4:27 PM

Agreed.
Old 11-14-2010, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie50 View Post
I can safely predict that Spenceville will be closed within two years. But why or why the sheep ask. Well boys and girls because the powers that be want it that way! Shooting on public lands is doomed to be but a dusty memory that only old guys will talk about. The Spenceville shooting range is great place but without some policing, private or public the place is literally a target for closure.

The condescending tone is intentional! I want the shooting community pissed enough to actually get off their collective a..s and act. We’ve got very few places to shoot and the places you can are crowded, virtual garbage dumps where anarchy can prevail. A couple of guys I was talking to said gang bangers are driving up there shooting like idiots and according to these people possibly illegal autos Most shooters are responsible and will do the right thing but there is an element of society that does not help our sport.

I went out to Spenceville only one time about a week ago and had a great time. I live in Vallejo, why did I drive all that way to shoot? Well that would be because Knoxville BLM land is closed to shooting! The trend of closing areas to shooting has been relentless and long.

The BLM, Forest Service, Sheriffs Departments and the State of California would like nothing better to kick shooting enthusiasts out and reduce their exposure to potential problems that involve “evil” firearms. The voting public is likely on their side. The average Californian these days think gun think - bad.
So you ask “what do we do!” First contribute to Calguns, second tell others about Calguns and organize. Maybe we can convince the local legislators that we are not all ignorant, ill-informed, gun toting Bubbas. No funding is given to these places that have literally hundreds of tax paying citizens enjoying yet there is room in the budget for various parks and public areas that don’t have a quarter of the use. I met a great guy out there who has been volunteering his time since the late 70’s out at Spenceville cleaning up the trash, cutting the weeds and gently informing shooters about the rules. We need to kick out a few bucks out to support basic maintenance or the average Joe non-shooter is going to look at photos of these places and say “close down that noisy, nuisance that looks like a dump”.

Its time to scream that we need our fair share. After all you all do realize that you pay extra taxes on the ammunition, guns and licenses that we do not get a proportionate share. My two cents ORGANIZE, INFLUENCE AND FUND. Calguns sponsorship of this area?
not to say that it WON"T happen. but, for the 30 years that i have been shooting there, there has always been, "they are closing spenceville". we, the imperial "WE", are responsible, to maintain, and clean up these "free ranges", because the irresponsible, will not. the authorities, "are" closing in, on this range, and perhaps many others, and it is up to the current, and future shooting enthusiasts, to police the rest.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

They ought to get some really crotchety old dudes from the local senior volunteer police out there to regulate the range. Its the perfect job for some bitter old man who loves to yell at people.

That, or just make it a public for profit range.sounds like enough people go there to cover at least basic operating cost.

What else can they do? Oh yeah, close the range! Its impossible to control the douche-baggery without real regulation.
Old 01-14-2011, 1:53 PM

I get up to Spenceville now and then, from the Sac area. I used to go to the Colfax area but that was shut down, apparently due to some bad behavior. (Plus, there were train tracks down range and now and then a train would go by. People stopped shooting. At least when I was there. But still . . . )

As for Spenceville, I've seen the yahoos also what I think of as the Calguns types - considerate and responsible. But rather than abandon the range to the idiots, which insures that it will go away, I'd encourage people to go there and if nothing else set a good example. If the powers that be visit and see its 100% idiots, the future is certain. If it's good shooters and some idiots, well, who knows. The layout there is great, and while the crowds can be mixed, it's an asset to all shooters in the area.

Of course, I haven't seen it so bad that I felt the need to leave. Some of the stories above are admittedly awful.
Old 01-23-2011, 1:06 PM
CGN Contributor

I've been up to spenceville a handful of times, wasn't to bad as far as trash and irresponsible shooters. Just be sure to go before noon, during the week.

Also if you reload, watch your brass, as when the last time I shot at spenceville there was two asians picking up our shells as soon as they hit the ground. I didn't really bother me because I don't reload, but they almost were kind of getting to close for comfort to our firearms sitting on the bench. Anyone else expierence this too?
Old 01-23-2011, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robairto View Post
REAL reason= lazy government employees who don't want to have to work or do their jobs. Let's see I'd rather not drive out there and still make 6k a month retire at 70% with lifetime benefits and go out early with an injury and blame the public for us having to do our jobs. Or we get paid less, do our jobs at a higher level of efficiency and benefit the public who supports our lazy city,county, state, federal butts with over benefitted pension plans and health care. Just my .02 of course but very true.
They are not paid garbage men. Whatever cleanup they do should be minimum. BLM land is for the public to enjoy. Pigs that go out, rip stuff apart and leave garbage all over should be cited and fined if observed. It is a personal responsibility to clean up after a shooting trip to blm land.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams