Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Exclamation FALCON Security Group August & September Courses

Hello fellow Calgunners,

FALCON is pleased to announce the following courses for August & September. You can always visit our website at www.falconsecurity.us for additional information, course descriptions, on-line registration and previous course AAR's along with photos & videos.

We look forward to seeing you all soon on the training field.

Regards,

FALCON Training Staff

#
August 7, 2010 8:00 am
TACTICAL SHOTGUN I - AUGUST 7, 2010
Burro Canyon Range 4-A, 2100 East Fork Road, Azusa, CA

#
August 15, 2010 8:00 am
TACTICAL PISTOL I – AUGUST 15, 2010

#
August 21, 2010 8:00 am
TACTICAL RIFLE I - AUGUST 21, 2010

#
August 28, 2010 8:00 am
TACTICAL PISTOL II - AUGUST 28 & 29, 2010
Burro Canyon Shooting Park, 22100 East Fork Road, Azusa, CA

#
September 4, 2010 - Tactical Shotgun I (1 Day Course)

#
September 11, 2010 - Tactical Rifle I (1 Day Course)

#
September 18, 2010 - Tactical Pistol I (1 Day Course)

#
September 25 & 26, 2010 - Tactical Rifle II (2 Day Course)
Old 08-08-2010, 4:38 PM

Default Falcon's Tactical Shotgun I on Saturday, August 7, 2010

I took the Tactical Shotgun I class with Falcon Security Group yesterday and for only my second class with them I came away impressed -- again.

Altogether we had five students and an impressive three instructors! One of the instructors is going to Afghanistan next week as Private Military Contractor (PMC). The knowledge, experience, patience and teaching abilities of the instructors are to be commended.

Most of the students other than me had very little or no experience with a shotgun and it was quite astonishing to see the level of competency they attained in just one day. A lot of that has to do with the amount of attention each individual student gets when you have three instructors for just five students!

All the material on the syllabus (listed at the bottom) was covered in a logical progression plus due to the low number of students even more drills per student.

The openness, patience and welcoming attitude of the instructors is refreshing. During breaks we were allowed to do just pistol drills on our own and against other students and instructors.

A tremendous amount was done in one day for just $165.

Highly recommended for the novice and experienced students.

Syllabus:

•Proper patterning
•Zones
•Recoil Management
•Marksmanship
•Advanced tactical manipulation
•Malfunction clearance
•Ammo and equipment selection
•Transitions to secondary weapon system
•Shooting while moving
•Utilization of cover
Old 08-09-2010, 8:16 AM

sounds like you enjoyed the course Ram.

i am looking forward to taking it in October.

how do you like the Falcon guys?

i have not had a chance to try out other schools. what is the typical instructor / student ratio at other places?
Old 08-09-2010, 8:48 AM

Falcon's instructor to student ratio is the best I've seen and it's not just the sheer number of instructors but the fact that they are all so well qualified and experienced. So, a great way to be introduced into the manipulation and tactics of the various firearms. Eventually, I do recommend that you attend other reputable firearms training facilities to broaden your horizon and be exposed to other instructors, training, tactics and equipment.
Old 08-12-2010, 3:51 PM

Ram,

Thank you from all of us at FALCON for your straight forward perspective on how we conduct our training courses. Its is our belief that each course should have a min of 2 instructors no matter what. If you look at the NRA guide lines for example, for every 4 students it is recommended that 1 instructor be present on the line. That does not include a RSO (Range Safety Officer) or the instructor that is running the line calling out courses of fire.

For FALCON, it is not about student to dollar ratio. It is about providing a quality product at a great price and having all students regardless of the level the student is at be able to retain the vital information being disseminated. It is important that all students walk away from our courses with more tools in their tool box when they leave or at least polish up the tools they have already attained.

Looking forward to having you attend the TAC II Pistol course again at the end of the month. And bring your A game. I think Oddjob is going to really try and get you out of your comfort zone early

Voodoo
Old 08-12-2010, 4:01 PM

I have a question, how do BB'd ar15s work out in a class like Tactical Rifle?

NRA MEMBER
Old 08-12-2010, 4:59 PM

I so desperately want to take the Tac Pistol 2 class.
But the one Saturday I work this month is the 28th.....ARGGGGH!!
When will the you run it again?????
Old 08-12-2010, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSECURITYGROUP View Post

Ram,

Thank you from all of us at FALCON for your straight forward perspective on how we conduct our training courses. Its is our belief that each course should have a min of 2 instructors no matter what. If you look at the NRA guide lines for example, for every 4 students it is recommended that 1 instructor be present on the line. That does not include a RSO (Range Safety Officer) or the instructor that is running the line calling out courses of fire.

For FALCON, it is not about student to dollar ratio. It is about providing a quality product at a great price and having all students regardless of the level the student is at be able to retain the vital information being disseminated. It is important that all students walk away from our courses with more tools in their tool box when they leave or at least polish up the tools they have already attained.

Looking forward to having you attend the TAC II Pistol course again at the end of the month. And bring your A game. I think Oddjob is going to really try and get you out of your comfort zone early

Voodoo
Voodoo,

I call it like it is and stay as much as I can on objective feedback. Like Detective Sergeant Joe Friday used to say: "Just the facts, ma'am."

You guys have great instructors and just as importantly more than enough to go around so that those that need special attention get it to get up to speed. Those more accomplished also get special attention to get them out of their comfort zone and thus get better.

Good job and keep it up,
Ram
Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 PM

FALCON is running a TAC II course of either pistol or rifle at the end of each month. This allows, we believe, for the shooter to have chance at one of our TAC I courses and verify if our style of teaching is acceptable to them. Additionally, it prepares you for the level of which you will be trained and guided during a TAC II course.

So, with that being said, check our schedule for the end of each month for a TAC II. If the schedule maintains is momentum then our next TAC II pistol course should be the end of October.

Regards,

FALCON
Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Definitely keen to try out the carbine class. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the LAPD to print out a background check (required for the class)?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRSA View Post
Definitely keen to try out the carbine class. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the LAPD to print out a background check (required for the class)?
I got my Criminal History Clearance Letter from the following and you can only do so in person but it usually takes about 2-3 hours. I don't know if you can do it through LAPD.

L.A. County Sheriff’s Dept
Records and Identification Bureau
Public Services Unit
Address: 12440 Imperial Highway
Suite #120
Norwalk, California, 90650
Telephone #: (562) 465-7825
Old 08-13-2010, 3:34 PM

The only other place I know of where you can get a copy of your criminal history record is through the California Department of Justice: http://www.ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security.php

I'm all the more impressed with firearms training outfits that have such vetting process.
Old 08-13-2010, 4:36 PM

Ram,

I like the follow up on the location for you refereed the fellow member to. I think maybe this is something I will research for the major county's and post the locations via our website.

Thanks for the idea.

See you soon.

Regards,

Voodoo
Old 08-13-2010, 5:10 PM

Anything to make it convenient for the student is a plus and sometimes all it takes is the appropriate links to the necessary info.

The following are from a post on this website and another from the Falcon website:

Quote:

ALL STUDENTS MUST BRING A CRIMINAL RECORD PRINT OUT FROM THEIR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENTS WITH THEM FOR ALL COURSES TAC-I AND HIGHER. THE COST OF THE REPORT VARIES FROM AGENCY TO AGENCY. THIS REPORT PROTECTS ALL OF US WHO SEEK PROFESSIONAL FIREARMS INSTRUCTION.

(Exemptions: Valid CCW / LEO ID / DOD-CAC Card / Returning Students)
Quote:

Criminal history print out is required for two main reasons. First, we at FALCON are all actively working in one form or another in the law enforcement field, thus we do not want to train those who may have desire to do our brothers and sisters harm. Second, based on our requirements with the NRA, DOD, DOS we must verify at the time a student participates in one of our training courses that they are legally able to attend.

Last edited by ramzar; 08-14-2010 at 2:42 PM.. Reason: Insert quoted text
Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security_faq.php

My employer is asking for a copy of my criminal history record. Can I give it to them?

No. California Penal Code section 11142 prohibits you from giving your copy of your criminal record to an unauthorized third party. In addition, California Penal Code section 11125 prohibits an individual or agency from requiring you to provide him/her or the agency with a copy of your criminal record or proof that a record does or does not exist. Violation of either of these sections is a misdemeanor offense.
Old 08-17-2010, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Running a 1911 with standard 8 round magazines, how many magazines do you recommend?

I currently run 4 + 1 in gun with IPSC/IDPA matches, is that enough for the Tactical Pistol I class?

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 08-17-2010, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Checked your web site out. Are you going to be running any classes in San Diego anytime soon?
Old 08-17-2010, 9:18 PM

Default SAN DIEGO TRAINING

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Checked your web site out. Are you going to be running any classes in San Diego anytime soon?
FALCON ran a one day pistol / low light combo intro course at Project 2000 in May of this year. We had a great time at a nice facility. We plan on doing another training course soon at the same location. Projected date for a pistol or shotgun course will be in the month of October.

Stay tuned....

FALCON
Old 08-18-2010, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
Running a 1911 with standard 8 round magazines, how many magazines do you recommend?

I currently run 4 + 1 in gun with IPSC/IDPA matches, is that enough for the Tactical Pistol I class?
Falcon's Tactical Pistol I requires a minimum of 3 magazines (5 mags highly recommended). When there's a lull in the action you're reloading magazines on the line. Carry a bunch of loose ammo in your pockets.
Old 08-18-2010, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
Falcon's Tactical Pistol I requires a minimum of 3 magazines (5 mags highly recommended). When there's a lull in the action you're reloading magazines on the line. Carry a bunch of loose ammo in your pockets.
That's no issue. I only carry 4+1 due to association rules. I have a gun belt and can hold up to 12 magazines... is that enough?

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 08-18-2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
That's no issue. I only carry 4+1 due to association rules. I have a gun belt and can hold up to 12 magazines... is that enough?
Your 4+1, that is, 5 magazines in all is just fine for Tactical Pistol 1.

When I took Tactical Pistol 2, Falcon recommended 7 magazines but I went with the 6 I had. One in the pistol, 4 in magazine pouches and one in the pocket. I did just fine but next time I'll have 1 in the pistol and 6 in mag pouches. Always have some loose rounds in your pocket and always top off magazines and / or reload mags whenever there's a lull in the action. Also, move magazines forward from the back of your belt.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysmithjr View Post
http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security_faq.php

My employer is asking for a copy of my criminal history record. Can I give it to them?

No. California Penal Code section 11142 prohibits you from giving your copy of your criminal record to an unauthorized third party. In addition, California Penal Code section 11125 prohibits an individual or agency from requiring you to provide him/her or the agency with a copy of your criminal record or proof that a record does or does not exist. Violation of either of these sections is a misdemeanor offense.
Can someone clear this up? I want to start taking these classes.
Old 08-22-2010, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

I took the class without it, it didn't come up.

I think it's there as a way to close the door on anyone they feel is shady (assuming a shady dude wouldn't fight them legally). I just wish they would find a more legal way to do accomplish the same thing.
Old 08-22-2010, 7:02 PM

Fellow Calgunners,

We have been reviewing other repeatable training companies requirements for training. Most, if not all of them, require some type of proof stating that if you are registering for a course that you do not have any current felony convictions and are able to legally posses a firearm as well as handle a firearm. Some companies do not train civilians as their primary focus is active law enforcement and military only. As such, they require a letter on formal letter head from a law enforcement agency where your home of record is stating you are clear.

FALCON's new policy, which will go into effect starting August 23, 2010, will require all students to sign a release of liability form that is tied into a disclosure form stating you are not a felon and have the legal right to handle a firearm. This in turn releases FALCON of this issue.

To clarify and make things simplistic. FALCON will offer a PDF file format release form via our website in the near future as well as have blank forms to fill out of the day or the course. It simply releases FALCON of any liability issues that could arise from someone who legally should not be allowed to handle a firearm or ITAR (International Export Issues).

We hope this will rectify any thoughts, concerns, issues or what have you with the print out requirement.

Thank you for your time and understanding while we addressed this issue.

Regards,

FALCON Training Division
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Falcon comes thru again with flying colors! Thanks for being responsive to these concerns, gents. Top notch all the way!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Thank you for the reply. FALCON has every intention on training those who desire professional firearms instruction. Our primary concern, other than safety, is that whoever attends our course is legally able to. Its a fine line between just making a buck and having your actions represent the greater good.

FALCON is looking forward to seeing all calgunners at some point in one of our course.

Stay safe, train hard.

FALCON
Old 08-27-2010, 8:28 AM

Falcon,

Thanks for being responsive to this issue. It was a major inconvenience for some to get the clearance. I see the verbiage now on your 2010 Schedule page (http://falconsecurity.us/?page_id=7):

Quote:

PLEASE NOTE: STARTING AUGUST 2010

All students will be required to complete a release of liability / disclosure form on the day of the course. FALCON requires all students to complete this form stating that you are legally able to own, possess and operate a firearm and that you do not have any criminal activity within the past year.
Thanks,
Ram
Old 08-27-2010, 3:28 PM

Sorry about that RAM, I should have posted it or copied and pasted like you did. Thanks for the help as we truly appreciate it.

Just as an FYI, we are modifying our shopping cart portion of the website and will be adding course to the schedule for the remainder of the year. Thus, I am hoping to have all the computer work completed and posted by the end of next week.

Take care all and see you soon.

Regards,

FALCON Training Staff,
Voodoo
Old 08-27-2010, 4:15 PM

Ramzar... were you the kid who sat in front of class and always put his hand up first??
Old 08-27-2010, 4:45 PM

David, Good one. I can be a bit of a nit-picker!

Hope to see you in one of Falcon's classes. Definitely, get in on Tactical Pistol 2 (two days), Tactical Carbine 1 (one day) & 2 (two days) and Tactical Shotgun 1 (one day). Very satisfying.