Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreazyone View Post
will it be 5.56 or 223
Theres no difference between 223 and 556 lowers, unless your asking about the engravings on the lower
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM

I keep hearing that you can't shoot 5.56 in a 223 gun. but you can shoot 223 in a 5.56.So I will like it to be 5.56
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I keep hearing that you can't shoot 5.56 in a 223 gun. but you can shoot 223 in a 5.56.So I will like it to be 5.56
(sigh) Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to "Search", and please, please, please do a bit of research before posting another item that is so full of "fail" it isn't even funny. A facepalm doesn't even begin to cover it...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:37 AM

Hey my bad. if i don't ask. i don't know. So what is the truth? Help me understand i'm new to the game help me with the playbook?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm pretty sure the lower doesn't care whether its a 223 or a 5.56, its the upper that matters
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM

Big props to Nathan and TM for doing this, I hope it all works out well and I wish I could buy one, however finances don't allow maybe next time. TM makes some really quality stuff and it should be a great lower.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hey my bad. if i don't ask. i don't know. So what is the truth? Help me understand i'm new to the game help me with the playbook?
Do a search on 5.56 vs. .223. Sorry to snap at you, but a simple use of the search button would have answered it for you. The lower receiver doesn't care what caliber you use. Nor does the marking on it mean anything. You can have it stamped .223, 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, multi, alien death ray, whatever you like. It won't change the function or legality of an AR here in California. If you want one with a specific caliber marked on it, by all means get that one. Generally, when it comes to lower receivers, you are mostly paying for art work that you like. All that they do is hold parts in place. Outside of a few on the higher and lower ends, it won't make much difference as to which you go with.

-Mb
Old 07-20-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
Do a search on 5.56 vs. .223. Sorry to snap at you, but a simple use of the search button would have answered it for you. The lower receiver doesn't care what caliber you use. Nor does the marking on it mean anything. You can have it stamped .223, 5.56, 6.8, 7.62x39, multi, alien death ray, whatever you like. It won't change the function or legality of an AR here in California. If you want one with a specific caliber marked on it, by all means get that one. Generally, when it comes to lower receivers, you are mostly paying for art work that you like. All that they do is hold parts in place. Outside of a few on the higher and lower ends, it won't make much difference as to which you go with.

-Mb
Where do I find this one? J/K but it would be an awesome joke for my mother. She thinks my AR looks like a "space gun" Imagine her expression seeing Alien Death Ray on the receiver BTW is there any sample product we can look at? It's kind of hard to commit to something without at least seeing a prototype
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post

-Mb
I want one that says "Phase plasma: 40 watt"
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Krynn View Post
If you provided a bullet button we could do a complete lower as well.
There is absolutely no legal need or requirement for a complete lower to have a bullet button.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM

I'll take two if it is around $100 each...lucky number 13 and 666...
Old 07-20-2010, 1:12 PM

I'm starting to wonder if a lot of the people on this thread can actually read. It has clearly been posted that they aren't going to do custom serial number more than once. STOP REQUESTING S/N's!!!

As for if they are made in CA or not, who cares? Sure, it would be cool if they were, but I don't see any CA companies offering to do it do you? How about instead of being worried about what state they are made in, just be happy that they are made in the U.S.A.! To the poster who said something to the nature of "trying to profit on CA"...You are kidding right? They are a company, last time I checked, companies like to make a profit, THAT IS HOW IT WORKS!

People, if you want one of these lowers, awesome! Get on the train and get one, I probably will. If you have anything negative to say, then don't buy one and better yet, don't say anything. I will be surprised if they still want to make them after how many people have whined about this and that on this thread.

Just my two cents
Old 07-20-2010, 1:19 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjetguy View Post
I'm starting to wonder if a lot of the people on this thread can actually read. It has clearly been posted that they aren't going to do custom serial number more than once. STOP REQUESTING S/N's!!!
Methinks you might be the one with reading comprehension issues.

When the manufacturer starts making lowers, they will have to put serial numbers on them. Assuming it's a new model, the serial number range will likely start at "001" or something similar and increment to 002, 003, etc.

What people are doing is calling out serial numbers that WILL BE PRODUCED regardless, and hoping to reserve that number.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
Old 07-20-2010, 2:00 PM

Quote:
I know custom serial numbers are cool and normally signify something special but we were not looking to do that as if we did then the cost would go up, something we are looking to avoid to be able to keep your price down. In order to do a special serial number run we would need to program that and that takes time which drives cost up. If we did that and didn't keep say 1-50 and jumped around (ex. 1, 56, 98) for customers then one of my machinist would need to literally program them per customer, stand next to the Mill, and do them one at a time, and would be even more expensive. The goal is to do this project at a good price and give a good donation. If I drive costs up then I won't be able to accomplish these goals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Methinks you might be the one with reading comprehension issues.

When the manufacturer starts making lowers, they will have to put serial numbers on them. Assuming it's a new model, the serial number range will likely start at "001" or something similar and increment to 002, 003, etc.

What people are doing is calling out serial numbers that WILL BE PRODUCED regardless, and hoping to reserve that number.
I see what you are saying, maybe I did misinterpret that part. I say just be happy to get a lower. Maybe ask what serial numbers they have available if this actually happens instead of calling dibs on them. Just my thought.

Last edited by twinjetguy; 07-20-2010 at 2:49 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 2:15 PM

Guys I do thank you for all the responses.

I still do want to produce these as long as Calguns gets back to me and we work out the donation. I do not want to make anyone mad as a manufacturer based in Florida selling to CA. We sell a lot of our 80% products and lowers as well to CA and many through this site. That is why I wanted to do this as it would be cool for you guys to get a special engraved lower and do a donation at the same time.

As with my last post I know I do not have to have a bullet button to do complete lowers but I constantly get requests for them and wanted to be upfront that we do not have any in stock.

As for the serial numbers. A new model does not require a new serial number, matter fact that would put me in prison. You can not duplicate a serial number as a manufacturer so I can not start with 1 with a new model. We are in the A00036xx range for AR-15 lowers. These will be with our normal serial number range and the model will be TM-15, like our normal lowers. If I deviate from that it would cost a lot more due to programing and having an employee stand there for every lower and reprogram it.

As soon as I get everything wraped up with calguns I will give price (wont be bad at all) and take orders.
Deland, FL 32724
Phone 386-490-4464
fax 386-490-4890
Old 07-20-2010, 3:15 PM

Hmmmm, maybe I did comprehend it correctly
Old 07-20-2010, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Methinks you might have been one of only a few....
Old 07-20-2010, 3:53 PM

Quote:

I know it is awesome to choose your special serial number but to keep the costs down we will be using our normal serial number range, that way they are affordable for you.
From post #34.

Quote:
I'm almost positive that you're comprehension is fine.
Old 07-20-2010, 4:32 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

I've been thinking about starting my first AR build. This seems a good choice for my first lower

Dibs on #47, cause maybe I'll go 7.62x39 (yeah I read about not reserving numbers)
Old 07-20-2010, 5:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As for the serial numbers. A new model does not require a new serial number, matter fact that would put me in prison. You can not duplicate a serial number as a manufacturer so I can not start with 1 with a new model.
You can use different prefixes with different ranges for different models.

So it's totally fine to start a new model with a prefix of like "CG001".

Since "CG" is part of the serial number, you're not giving two lowers the same serial number "1". They are treated as totally different numbers.
Old 07-20-2010, 8:26 PM

I would be interested..depending on price...please consider a .308 lower run as well...am thinking on that being my next build...Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
You can use different prefixes with different ranges for different models.

So it's totally fine to start a new model with a prefix of like "CG001".

Since "CG" is part of the serial number, you're not giving two lowers the same serial number "1". They are treated as totally different numbers.
Model CA-15 would be cool too
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Default CGF Lowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell663 View Post
I'll take 2 if the price is right. I would like #13 & #30. I am also interested in a .308 lower. (DPMS LB-308B Style)

I'm still inerested but have changed my mind on the SSN#'s if possible I would like 051378 & 043071

Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopro74 View Post
Methinks you might have been one of only a few....
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdad View Post
I'm almost positive that you're comprehension is fine.
Thanks guys!

As for dibs on a certain lower...I want dibs on one of the lowers with the Cal Guns logo engraved on it!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM

I feel, if were getting special engravings, that a short phrase or number would be cool.

For example, Alien Death Ray, like mentioned before, would be friggn awsome. How about "Zombie Strike Team"? Even "I dunno, I just work here" would be helarious.

Cal Guns stuff http://www.gunsr4.us/index.html

Donate http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=108030
Old 07-22-2010, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

I assume this is going to say "Multi-Cal" then?
Any chance of of a flared mag well? I'd like to use this for run and gun and that does make it easier for hasty mag insertions.
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 07-23-2010, 3:27 PM

So whats the deal? Are we doing this
Old 07-23-2010, 3:51 PM

I would be down for one as well. Please keep us posted on price..etc.
Old 07-23-2010, 9:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

This thread is so entertaining to read. It brings back vivid memories of runs like this in the past. Everyone wants one, but then when they are produced, no one wants one because everyone talks a good game but turns out is a cheap bastard in the end. Sigh.

And everyone wants a custom serial number, Zombie Death Squad on the side, and a different logo. Sigh some more.

As far as where they are manufactured, the first batch we did came from Oregon. The second batch from San Diego. Some laser etched ones came from Florida.

As long as Kestryll or the CGF gets a cut, I am sure this thing will be a go.

Just be patient and realize claiming a certain serial number probably won't do you much good right now. Wait until you can throw some money down. Good luck.

And I call #14.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 07-23-2010 at 9:35 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 9:41 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I need to get in touch with someone from calguns.net to make sure it will be okay then I will release a price. However it won't be extravagant like it sounds some other company charged.
The "other company" was Kaiser Defense in San Diego, and either $10 or $20 of that price was donated to Calguns.

I believe the selling price was $176 including the donation.
Remaining stock at Riflegear and JD Defense was sold off for $99 last December after the partnership that formed the original KD dissolved.

Here's mine....
The "passenger side" is blank... the state outline is regular engraving, same depth and width as the mfr information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-23-2010, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I say for whoever is going to make them is to pick one design or maybe two and that's it. Once you get into custom stuff for each person it gets to be a PIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-23-2010, 9:46 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdad View Post
I'm stating somewhat of a worst case scenario. If anyone knows a FFL with reasonable fees in the LA/OC area, i would appreciate the info.
OC Indoor in Brea.
FFL transfer fee is 15% of the price of the gun, up to a maximum of, IIRC, $50, so a $150 lower would be $22.50 + $25 DROS.

I believe OC Indoor requires the BB to be installed when they receive it.

OC Armory on Lake Forest is $35 + $25 +$10 per additional lower from the same shipper, so one lower would be $60, five lowers would be $100.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-23-2010, 9:50 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
If you wanted $150 for example for each lower the ffl can charge $175 for each to us and make $625 for being the middleman.
No, he makes $625 if he charges $200.
If he charges $175, he makes zero because $25 does to the DOJ.

Quote:
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM

I am interested in1-4 depending on price. Ser# 042066 / 021569 / 090295 / 102993, pleAs let me know price and time.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Sent a PM to TM but never got a response regarding the status of these lowers. So what's the word Nathan?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

interested pending price.
Old 07-27-2010, 9:24 AM
Tactical Reloader
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
interested pending price.
same here
Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Maybe an FFL like Riflegear would be willing to stock a 100 or so of them and sell them out of their store. That would certainly keep the cost down and even if they added a few bucks for some profit to handle them. It would certainly let us know that they want to promote this website. I would buy one if the price was right.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 AM

If its reasonable; i'm in for one.

Although with all the pointless/argumentive posts in this thread I suggest Once you are ready to kick this thing off start a new thread where you can only post if you are interested in one or more. No other posters.

Just so its easy to get a clear count. Just my noob 2 cents
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Casull View Post
It would certainly let us know that they want to promote this website. I would buy one if the price was right.
If you don't already know how much Riflegear promotes Calguns, you're not paying attention.