Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-06-2010, 1:40 PM

Default 80% pistol lower reg Q's

im going to be finishing up an 80% lower specifically for a pistol. my question is how, if, or when do i need to "register" it as a pistol? i am going through sundevil and it will be sent with all the marking engraved including "pistol" and serial# etc. does this have to be registered since its a pistol? or is it the same as building one up for rifle use? if anyone can chime in or point me towards a post with info i'd much appreciate it, thanks! im fully aware of the issues regarding buffer tube and never to install a buttstock or tube that can accept a stock, just not sure if it has to be registered since its a pistol etc.
Old 07-06-2010, 2:03 PM
www.Buildyourownak.info
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Might wish to read here>>>
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=245346

And here>>>
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8103204AA3pTuZ

From my understanding on home built pistols from 80% receivers is there is no law that says you need to register it but there may be certain advantages to doing so when/ if confronted by LEO.
Old 07-06-2010, 4:08 PM

thanks for that info.. does anyone know if the voluntary registration can be done through a dealer or if it has to be done directly with batf? the only reason i want to do it is because i dont want to get hassled everywhere i go with it.
Old 07-06-2010, 4:12 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro360 View Post
does anyone know if the voluntary registration can be done through a dealer or if it has to be done directly with batf?
there is no registration with BATF unless you are making an NFA weapon such as an AOW.

Vol regs do not go through a dealer either, they go directly to CADOJ.

Here, read this thread in it entirety, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=115364

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-08-2010, 7:02 PM

alright i have read til im blue in the face. i basically just need to know when i finish my 80% pistol lower will i need to worry about all the single shot bs? or is that only for out of state transfers etc? or am i good to go with regular assembly bb pistol buffer tube etc....
Old 07-08-2010, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
alright i have read til im blue in the face. i basically just need to know when i finish my 80% pistol lower will i need to worry about all the single shot bs? or is that only for out of state transfers etc? or am i good to go with regular assembly bb pistol buffer tube etc....
I would still document it as a single shot first.. that's what we normally do with ak pistols @ bps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-08-2010, 7:11 PM
CGN Contributor

you should initially complete any 80% pistol build into a roster-compliant configuration. so that means that you should build it it as a dimensionally-compliant single-shot pistol with a BB and a SLED. It is against the law to make an unsafe pistol, but those single-shot pistols that are dimensionally-compliant are exempt from the law.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-08-2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
you should initially complete any 80% pistol build into a roster-compliant configuration. so that means that you should build it it as a dimensionally-compliant single-shot pistol with a BB and a SLED. It is against the law to make an unsafe pistol, but those single-shot pistols that are dimensionally-compliant are exempt from the law.

cool im with both of you on this and completely willing to do so. my next question is how exactly do you "document" this?
Old 07-08-2010, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Pictures

Quote:
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-08-2010, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z ME FLY View Post
Pictures
alright, thats so simple it seems silly but im not doubting you just saying. so is a single shot magazine or "sled" gonna cut it or do i actually need to disable the gas system as well? thanks for the input so far i do appreciate it very much. i have been researching for weeks with very little luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
alright, thats so simple it seems silly but im not doubting you just saying. so is a single shot magazine or "sled" gonna cut it or do i actually need to disable the gas system as well? thanks for the input so far i do appreciate it very much. i have been researching for weeks with very little luck.
sled would work make sure you have a bb or mag lock with a PISTOL buffer not a carbine buffer. You need one that cannot accept a stock. I have seen people on other forums use carbine buffers to save money and it's never a good idea.

Quote:
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-09-2010, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z ME FLY View Post
sled would work make sure you have a bb or mag lock with a PISTOL buffer not a carbine buffer. You need one that cannot accept a stock. I have seen people on other forums use carbine buffers to save money and it's never a good idea.
yeah i read up on that and am on board.... i plan to grab a model1 pistol buffer.