Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-04-2010, 9:26 AM

Default Underfolder Help (Buying Correct Kit)

Howdy,

I have a Vulcan (yeah, I know) underfolder receiver and am about to buy a parts kit. I have a question about the front trunnion (I'm guessing) shape in relation to my receiver. I'm interested in buying a russian kit, but the way it dips in-- where the 3 front rivets will go-- makes me think it won't fit or won't allow the rivets to go all the way through or whatever. Here's pics to show what I mean:

Receiver w/ flat side no bulge:

Front trunion:

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-04-2010, 9:32 AM

Well it looks like you are trying to mate a milled receiver into a stamped receiver, that's not going to work. If you want to build that receiver you are going to need a stamped receiver kit, not a milled one.
Old 05-04-2010, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule .308 View Post
Well it looks like you are trying to mate a milled receiver into a stamped receiver, that's not going to work. If you want to build that receiver you are going to need a stamped receiver kit, not a milled one.
Got it. The receiver is a vulcan, so I'm not sure which they use This is my first AK so I'm kinda learning as I go.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredieusa View Post
This picture below belongs to a TYPE 2 (milled) AK. They are worth a lot of money by themselves, specially if its complete and (mostly) matching. This kit alone (unbuilt) is worth around THREE complete AK's, just so you know.

You do not want to deviate from the original on a type 2, that will be like moving the cows into your bedroom and you taking up the barn.

Seems like you are getting started on AK's. Get rid of the Vulcan, vendors are trying to get rid of them for $29 and they still cannot. One can build on them but its not worth the effort or the time.

If you have (or have access to) the kit pictured here, and would like to get a fair price, give me a holler. Maybe i will even toss in an under-folder (complete or a kit - milled or stamped) of your choosing.

Good Luck.
Very good points, I just saw this thread. If you have the kit still, trade or sell it to Fredie, he is a good guy and he will make sure the kit is put to good use. Or at least pass along the info.

For underfolder kits, there are a couple of different options, you can go Romy, Polish, or Yugo for the stamped kits. You can normally find UF kits from 300-500 for matching #s. I would get a matching numbers kit for your first build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There are real Russian stamped AKM kits on Gunbroker right now. Some with uncut barrels. Prepare for "sticker shock" however. Ditch the Vulcan.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM

The biggest problem I'm having so far is finding a kit that comes with a barrel, or at the very least a barrel that has already been cut and fit. Otherwise I'm seeing a lot of kits with new barrels and my working budget is around $500 so if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get an underfolder done by May 20, please let me know ASAP.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I am following you have a receiver that is flat and no dimple (I believe you called it a bulge). The dimple is to help seat and stabilize the magazine. Although nice it is not required. The WASR line of rifles do not have the dimple.

If the receiver you have is like the one pictured my best guess would be it is for a Polish under folder. I say that because they are the most available. There are also Romanian and Bulgarian under folders but they are less common. Another common under folder would be Yugoslavian but most use a larger front trunnion and this a different receiver.

Back to your original request. You do not want the milled AK pictured. You should look for a Polish under folder kit. They are going to be more expensive than say a standard Romanian AK. If I had to guess $350-$400 but you can't quote me on it.

Good luck and if you have a chance I would go to a build party.

-JP
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

You need a polish or hungarian kit to go on that receiver. Really, any AKM front end with a polish or hungarian UF assembly.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracktheskye View Post
The biggest problem I'm having so far is finding a kit that comes with a barrel, or at the very least a barrel that has already been cut and fit. Otherwise I'm seeing a lot of kits with new barrels and my working budget is around $500 so if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get an underfolder done by May 20, please let me know ASAP.
Maybe I am not understanding, I am pretty sure the kit you listed in your first post is more than $500. 2nd you can find UF kits from 300-500 like I said in my post above.

Quote:
Z gets around. lol
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracktheskye View Post
here is a kit with barrel for a good price. $250

http://www.akparts.com/index.htm

if its your first build i recommend finding a build party so people with experience can help you so you dont screw it up.
Old 05-04-2010, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thSBCT View Post
here is a kit with barrel for a good price. $250

http://www.akparts.com/index.htm

if its your first build i recommend finding a build party so people with experience can help you so you dont screw it up.
The Romanian M65 underfolder kit will not work with the Vulcan receiver. You would need to use this flat from AK Builder. As you can see, there are two notches in the largest hole in the rear trunnion. They are at different positions on the M65: http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?...oduct_id=29884

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 05-04-2010, 8:11 PM

So if I bought a kit with no barrel, what do I do about the barrel? Are there barrels already cut or drilled or whatever or do I need to get a new barrel and have it fit specifically to my kit?
Old 05-04-2010, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

craktheskye, a barrel-less kit requires you to install either a factory non matching barrel or a new US made virgin barrel. The virgin requires more work (don't they all ). It has to be drilled into for the barrel pin. To headspace, you push the barrel into the trunnion and keep checking until the bolt/bolt carrier chamers a live round (go guage) and at the same time, does not close on a no-go guage.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 05-04-2010, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
craktheskye, a barrel-less kit requires you to install either a factory non matching barrel or a new US made virgin barrel. The virgin requires more work (don't they all ). It has to be drilled into for the barrel pin. To headspace, you push the barrel into the trunnion and keep checking until the bolt/bolt carrier chamers a live round (go guage) and at the same time, does not close on a no-go guage.
I just found me some new sig material

Quote:
Z gets around. lol